[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is GIMP such a piece of shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 450x318) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 450x318
Why is GIMP such a piece of shit?
>>
It's not that bad if you never tasted Photoshop before it, but if you did then it's utter shit.
>>
Use Photoshop like everyone else, faggot
>>
Krita, Paint.net, Inkscape, Kompozer, Scribus, Blender...

And then there's this faggot.

Adobe allows you to download Photoshop CS2, for free from their own website, CS2 is ten years old yet delivers 100 times more than anything Gimp could do. So unless you truly are an idiot, you don't use Gimp seriously.
>>
>>53317013
Because it's open source
>>
>>53317046
this

it's quite good, but the two programs' interfaces are so different that literally everyone develops baby duck syndrome for the one they get used to first, since if they try the other they can't find anything and cant get anything done.
>>
Why is the image scaling in GIMP so terrible.

Photoshop uses Bicubic too and it looks infinitely better. Is there any free alternative that can at least provide the same quality as photoshop for resizing?
>>
>>53318377
You do realise you can choose the type of interpollation on Gimp, right?
>>
>>53318377
Also, bicubic is bicubic, it can't "look better"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicubic_interpolation
>>
>>53318404
Last time I checked you had options of Bicubic or Lanczos and not much else. I don't remember seeing any additional options. Maybe I'm missing something?

>>53318421
If you resize an image with photoshop/GIMP and view them side by side, you will notice they definitely do not look the same. It's most noticeable when doing reductions. It's possible sharpness or some other task is done to further enhance the result after a resize, but whatever the case Photoshop provides a much better result.
>>
>>53317013
Use photoshop then. You are not afraid of configuring WINE, are you?
>>
>>53318477
After checking, Photoshop uses "Bicubic sharper", so I assume they added something to the bicubic algorithm.
On gimp, you could just sharpen it after if you wanted to or you could use Lanczos3, that looks almost the same as PS.
>>
File: 8IxQdvf.png (259 KB, 743x565) Image search: [Google]
8IxQdvf.png
259 KB, 743x565
>>53318477
And a quick comparison.

Resized down on both GIMP and Photoshop. You can tell the left one has all sorts of aliasing and is just not as polished. Used the comparable Bicubic setting on both.

It's bullshit that I need photoshop just to get a good result on the simplest of tasks.
>>
>>53318103
I've tried gimp. It's not too bad but the ui is a clusterfuck and not easy to adjust to.
If people stop being such babbies though and actually put the time in to learn it's not a bad tool.
>>
>>53318567
I also tried GIMP's Lanczos and it barely does any better than its Bicubic implementation.
>>
>>53318618
Could you show the other types of interpollation of Gimp?
Just curious
>>
File: RnFyPp7.png (126 KB, 424x578) Image search: [Google]
RnFyPp7.png
126 KB, 424x578
>>53318662
Sure, this is with its Lanczos3
>>
>>53318689
and could you give a link to base image?
>>
File: 6.jpg (543 KB, 800x1066) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
543 KB, 800x1066
>>53318721
It's this, but it pretty much happens with any image. The aliasing might just be more noticeable with anime/illustrations.
>>
What the point of those bicubibc settings on photoshop, never really understood them, so left them default.

I remember this faggot that used to upscale with barely any loss in quality in jpeg
>>
>>53318764
Were you using Image > Scale image... ?
>>
>>53318854
Yes.

>>53318808
Default is fine, it chooses the most ideal one (automatic).

For upscaling a lot of people seem to enjoy:
waifu2x.udp.jp/
>>
File: gimpiswellprogrammed.png (178 KB, 450x400) Image search: [Google]
gimpiswellprogrammed.png
178 KB, 450x400
>>53318921
I think you just found a bug with Gimp.
"Image > Scale Image" looks like pure shit compared to the Scale tool.

So I guess I can defend the resizing of Gimp, but I can't deny that it's poor software.
>>
>>53318921
He used to scale better than waifu2x though
was pretty kool
>>
>people have so low IQ they can't use both
GIMP is much better for dealing with animated gifs and some plugins are better.
>>
>>53317013
it's developed to be "good enough" and nothing more, there's nothing really wrong with it, it's just for image manipulation
>>
I never use gimp because it freezes my computer every time I use it, without fail. I dont have this problem with other image/drawing programs like krita.
>>
>>53317433
Is there any way someone could throw the link to the download on adobe's website? I dont feel like making an account with them.
>>
>>53319192
not really, if you get used to photshop than I doubt the hassle of switching to it would be even worth it, though I haven used gimp so ye
>>
>>53318618
Jesus fuck just commit suicide already ...
>>
>>53319507
What for?
He's making a good point
>>
>>53317013
Because you don't know how to use it.
>>
Because it's made by freetards.
>>
>>53317013
>Why is GIMP such a piece of shit?
The real question is: Why is almost all open-source crap shit?

Because no one's fucking paid to put any real thought into their code. So you get like 500 people adding features willy-nilly, with little to no cohesion.
By the time you get the "finished product", it's like a monkey throwing monkey wrenches at the keyboard and hoping for the best.

The features barely flow; they're usually made for the insular audience that designed them +/- friends (more likely '-', because anyone actually developing for open-source probably has no life, friends, normal hobbies, sense of hygiene, etc.)

And ultimately, since no one's paid, and no one thinks about what they put into it, you get a few decent features from the original developers, with metric fucktons of minced code that barely works and an interface a shit that's not worth the "cup of coffee" donation they ask for to keep the project running.

>TL;DR: No/lax central control over code base; no legitimate way to contact actual audience; no friends; no money; no life
>>
>>53317056
oww, my wallet!
>>
>>53317936
open source != bad
some totally cool shit has come from open source
>>
>>53320385
VLC is open source and so is firefox
>>
>>53320426
And Firefox has become steadily shittier.
>>
>>53320426
Eh, VLC is ok. Since I transferred my data to a new SSD, I lost my DVD player feature with Windows Media Center. Used VLC to fix that. It at least gets the job done.

So, admittedly, VLC is pretty good. I don't NEED an alternative to that for DVDs (not that I own many DVDs)
-foobar2000 is my default music player
-WMP is what I generally use for non-DVD video
-(more at bottom)

>ON THE OTHER HAND:::::
Firefox is dogshit. Worst browser I've ever attempted to use. More viruses than anything else EVAR.

Well... maybe not as bad as Midori... but I only tried that on a Fedora distro once and wanted to be le hipster for a while so I used a portable install. That barely even worked at all.

Think that was also open-source...

Your point is at least half invalid.

-Default browser is Internet Explorer 11. Very few issues. VERY secure
-Default SWF player is IE 11
-Backup browser is Chrome
>>
>>53317013
>Why is GIMP such a piece of shit?
Many people have asked this question for over a decade now. Two decades now, actually.

Just like the program itself, no consensus has been reached.
>>
>>53320443
Retard
>>
>>53320493
>virus
Downloading indianCum.exe.png is not firefox's fault, rajesh. IE is a piece of TRASH and MS had to get rid of it
>>
>>53320647
Well, to be fair, it only completely fucked up the browser itself.

Kept resetting my homepage and shit.

Browser also doesn't provide a way to ignore security certificate expirations such as on college websites.

and I don't fap to almost anything other than anime girls, so "indianCum.exe.png" is irrelevant
I also don't hide extensions. And, it'd be "indianCum.png.exe" if you wanted that to work.

I'm also not Indian.

So, yes, it IS the browser's fault. I barely used it to do anything other than browse regular sites and use extensions.
>>
>>53320385
And then you could continue thinking and ask yourself why almost all proprietary software is shit too. Just look at the vast majority of crapware that gets sold, 90% of it is most likely literal malware or harmful to its user by being written criminally bad.

To be honest, most popular OSS prpjects are probably in a better state than that cause they are written by people that actually care about what they do and not some bunch of underpaid pooinloos.
>>
File: PicardDoubleFacePalm.webm (3 MB, 640x481) Image search: [Google]
PicardDoubleFacePalm.webm
3 MB, 640x481
>>53320493
>-Default browser is Internet Explorer 11. Very few issues. VERY secure
>>
>>53320716
You sound like a huge tech illiterate.
>>
>>53320784
Don't know why.

I'm an IT major.
I can program in several languages and build/repair/upgrade/troubleshoot hardware.

I'm actually finishing up another chapter for my Data Structures and Algorithms class right now.
>>
>>53317013
you get what you pay for
>>
>>53320803
>IT major
>I can program in several languages and build/repair/upgrade/troubleshoot hardware.

bait, don't reply
>>
>>53320493
What's wrong with midori? It runs great for me.
>>
>>53320535
it's the developers, they've knowingly done everything they can to make sure nobody takes GIMP seriously
>>
>>53320833
Wasn't really.

Not 100% sure why you think it was.

What makes it bait? That I can program in several languages and perform hardware-related tasks? Or that I responded using a qualification as a counterpoint?
>>
>>53320851
Eh, well I tried it as a portable installation, so it was slow as fuck. I also ported it to Windows, because I don't use Linux. I was only trying it out a bit, and realized it's not for me.

Also, now this was a while ago (> 1 yr), but I don't remember many hotkeys, and I seem to remember having issues getting it to play media files... could be wrong about that, though.
>>
File: gump.jpg (111 KB, 802x640) Image search: [Google]
gump.jpg
111 KB, 802x640
>>53317013
gump is better
>>
>>53320833
>>53320863
If it sounds better, but it kinda doesn't, I';m actually a Business, Management, and Economics Area of study, but I loaded up with Information Technology courses, such that IT is my actual concentration.

In fact, from this point forward, my classes will be (counting this semester):
Web Systems Dev
Database Systems
Data Struc/Alg
Project Mgt
Networking
Discrete Math
HCI
Software Engineering
Info Assurance

So, really, other than having taken a few less Math and Science courses, I'm essentially a CS major.
>>
>>53320897
It loads pages slightly slower than other browsers but with 7 tabs open my system was only ~600MB ram and it runs pretty smooth on my d2500.
So yes if you have good hardware it's shit, but if your hardware is limited, like mine, then it may be your only lag free option for a fully functional browser.

No other browser runs 720p YouTube smoothly on my pc.
>>
>>53317013
That's the price of freedom.
>>
>>53320936
Add some trees and make a forest gump
>>
>>53320999
Eh, my PC isn't THAT bad.
It doesn't have a GPU, but it's an i3 first-gen, dual-core, 4-thread with Intel HD Graphics.

I have 8GB or RAM, though.

Dell Studio 1558 if you want to look at the model. Think... 2010?

SSD, though. Samsung 850 EVO.

Bit slower than most SSDs, though, because I disabled a lot of the features for longer performance, not higher performance. I disabled... hibernate, indexing, prefetch, superfetch, have 0 MB of swap, and I think I disabled hybrid shutdown...

At this rate, I SHOULD be able to get maybe 5-12 years out of it.
>>
File: gump.jpg (53 KB, 450x359) Image search: [Google]
gump.jpg
53 KB, 450x359
>>53321008
froest gump
>>
>>53321090
You are my hero :3
>>
File: 1445874018435.png (92 KB, 215x251) Image search: [Google]
1445874018435.png
92 KB, 215x251
>shitty boundaries and layers
>NOT JUST LAYERS
My fucking god, even paint.net gets this right. Why can't GIMP?!
>>
>>53319192
>GIMP is much better for dealing with animated gifs

AHaha, try deleting 100 layers(frames)
>>
>>53321186
What do you mean?
>>
>No shape tool
>When moving layer shift key doesn't align it to the axis
>>
>>53323177
>When moving layer shift key doesn't align it to the axis
But control does..?
Unless that's not what you meant.

And what's a shape tool?
>>
File: 1457102501004.jpg (94 KB, 750x849) Image search: [Google]
1457102501004.jpg
94 KB, 750x849
>>53319433
download adobe com /pub/adobe/magic/creativesuite/CS2_EOL/PHSP/PhSp_CS2_English.exe

1045-1412-5685-1654-6343-1431
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.