[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Assembly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: MULT1.gif (27 KB, 600x431) Image search: [Google]
MULT1.gif
27 KB, 600x431
Is there any reason for me to learn the assembly programming language?
>>
Intellectual curiosity.
>>
>>53288096
optimizing for chips that dont have very good compilers
>>
Sometimes, helps debugging and profiling
Well, especially profiling
>>
>>53288096
Embedded programming perhaps?
I want to learn some assembly but I don't really know where to start.
Most computer architectures used today are quirky and the ones that seem more reasonable on are not used anymore.
>>
>>53288096
>tfw I think I failed my assembly exam today

Anyway, assembly does give you a better appreciation for higher level languages and a preferences towards more efficient coding.
>>
File: Massocism.jpg (21 KB, 222x346) Image search: [Google]
Massocism.jpg
21 KB, 222x346
>>53288096
>>
>>53288096
Is that arm assembly?
>>
>>53288213
so its like learning latin to have a better understanding of french and english?
>>
>>53288096

> he STILL hasn't learned assembly 70 years later
> wanting to be cucked by obfuscation
>>
>>53288244
not really. it's like learning ancient babylonian to have a better understanding of piglatin, in practice.
>>
>>53288244
That's a shitty reason to learn Latin.

But it is like learning latin.
>tfw got a perfect score on my latin exam
>>
>>53288199
If you ignore some of the weirder stuff in x86 it isn't a bad language. I would recommend sticking with either the Intel syntax or the AT&T syntax and ignoring the other as that can get confusing very quickly.

Imo AT&T/GNU syntax is much better than Intel syntax but there's a lot of people who would disagree
>>
>>53288278
If you're too confused by the differences in AT&T and Intel syntax (literally flipping operands and different dereference syntax, with Intel being more C-like), I doubt you have the mental capacity to reason about assembly code anyways.
If C-like syntax is the only thing you can wrap your head around, why bother trying to learn anything new in the first place?
>>
learning the assembly/machine code/cpu abstraction is a great way to learn how computers work and this abstractions will actually make you a better programmer.

learning assembly (piss easy) is just a part of this process.
>>
>>53288304
>look at my big brain, aren't I just the best ever?
>>
>>53288096
reverse engineering
learning how architecture works
>>
Only if you want to do embedded systems.
>>
So that you can write your own custom hard drive maintenance utility

reverse engineering, hardware debugging
Also useful if you ever find yourself as a hardware engineer or managing a team of them
>>
>>53288096
kinda fun
>>
Anyone got any assembly tips, simulators or cool projects that i can do?
>>
>>53288096
Optimization
Gain a better understanding of how processors work(?)
Bragging rights/E-cred
>>
If you're into reverse enginneering, yes.

Otherwise you can do it for bragging rights
>>
>>53288096
If you live in a time spoiled by excess and inclined towards wastage? No not at all.

If you're not an ass hole and trying to avoid further complicating the Moore's law issue? Yeah sure.
>>
Deeper understanding of how processors work (even though you should look into microprogramming if processors are of interest.)

Helps with understanding security risks and is mandatory for reverse-engeneering.
Sometimes it's needed for embedded systems e.g. the chip you are writing shit for has an awful / nonexisting C-compiler.

Optimization via Asm isn't really that practial. Nobody sits there and optimizes their C-code with Asm. That would be such a fucking hassle and the compiler can optimize just fine.
>>
>>53288199
Learn 6502 assembly. It's pretty popular still despite age. Plus you can make NES games to make learning fun.
>>
>>53288096
So to sum up.... yes there are reasons.

Are there any good reasons? No. Fuck no.
>>
>>53291370
Can you read? Good reasons have been postse multiple times.
>>
>>53288096

Listen to >>53288324.
You probably won't use assembly IRL, but the concepts you learn from using assembly are very valuable to learn when applying them to any project you're working on.
>>
>>53291408
* very valuable to use
>>
>>53288096
>assembly programming language

What's that?
>>
>>53291777
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_language
>>
>>53291838
It's not a language. It's fucking assembly.
>>
>>53292029
it is a language you retard
>>
OP just to clarify you do realize assembly is not a singular programming language right? There's at least as many assembly languages as there are architectures. x86 alone has two similar but incompatible assembly languages with differing syntax.
>>
>>53288244
No, it's like learning a code that describes what a processor should do.
>>
To rice your graphing calculator.
>>
>>53288096
for writing compilers, optimizing code, debugging, reverse engineering, working with µCs, ... but since you couldn't even figure that out, no, there's no reason for you to learn assembly
>>
>>53288096
>the assembly programming language
>implying that all processors are derived from the same architecture
As for why learn assembly, it's so that you can appreciate higher languages and write more efficient code. Try writing a program that does the same thing twice in C. Compile it using the -S flag and take a look at the output.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.