[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>see a ton of students use emacs/vim >even see professors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: autism.png (195 KB, 985x485) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
195 KB, 985x485
>see a ton of students use emacs/vim
>even see professors using it
>all them awkwardly wrestle with it, wasting so much damn time
>often imagine myself doing the same tasks with notepad++ several times before they finish

When will these autistic memes die?
>>
>vim
>autism

youre the only one with autism here, anon
>>
>See people that don't know what they're doing use something
>This somehow speaks badly of the software
Protip: 99% of people don't use any software they touch anywhere near its full potential.
I don't even see people fucking configure their windows taskbars halfway decently.
But here's your (You) for your shitty b8 thread.
>>
I use vim and I have sex sometimes
>>
>>53287786
>Protip: 99% of people don't use any software they touch anywhere near its full potential.

That's not the point, they would be far better off with any other text editor. It would be like a large number of engineers choosing to use slider rulers over using a calculator because of a myth that it makes them better engineers.
>>
>>53287867
If you can't use a slide rule you should fucking kill yourself desu
>>
>>53287751
Watching others fail to use a program wrong way doesn't mean that a program is shit
>>
>>53287751
Yeah I don't know why a lot of people try to use Vim and Emacs without properly learning how to first. It's really not that hard to learn but a lot of computer users still seem to be stuck in GUI-breastfed mode where they are content to just poke around aimlessly in the application and try to piece it together.

>Notepad++
It's okay, but the default keybindings suck and the plugin support is pretty limited.
>>
>>53287867
nobody thinks the editor they use makes them a better programmer. nobody worth listening to or mentioning, anyway. what you're saying is like saying it'd be better to use microsoft paint instead of photoshop or gimp because you watched someone struggle with it one time.

it's a dumb statement, and not worth defending.
>>
>>53288122
and the reason OP and other plebs don't struggle with notepad++ is because it's for retards and is near-featureless.
>>
>>53287867
But that's a shit example because a calculator is both easier to use than a slide rule AND more powerful for a trained user.
With editors, you pick one of the other: intuitiveness for a new user, or raw editing efficiency.
>>
>>53287960
Have you ever seen 1 study where coders in emacs/vi coded faster than coders on a modern text editor? Me neither. From what I can tell, it's a placebo.

There have been studies that have shown a skilled abacus user is faster than a calculator and Morse code is faster than texting but the improvement is nowhere near justifying the tremendous cost in getting to that point. So even if, hypothetically, these editors were slightly faster, the cost in learning them would whip out their benefit.
>>
>>53287751
wow pressing escape and typing :w is so hard

so is pressing Ctrl-X and Ctrl-S
>>
>>53289289
It's 2016, the mouse exists.
>>
>>53289313
yes and it's much slower if whatever you're doing involves using a keyboard a lot

also
>It's 2016
is an non-argument
>>
>>53289282
I don't watch and time people as they program.

>>53289313
That doesn't mean it's best used for everything.
>>
>>53289282
I don't remember the last time I got entered into a study for coding efficiency.

I know that I can code much more quickly and comfortable with vim than I could ever with any standard text editor.

But I consider myself a vim power-user. Watching my coworkers do anything in vim makes me cringe.
>>
>use notepad++
>suddenly your keyboard is disabled and you have to use your mouse to type
>this is what vim users actually believe
>>
>>53289336
>being this retarded
>>
>>53287751

> watching others edit text

Don't you have something better to do?
>>
>>53289780
He is a programming cuck.
>>
>>53287786
There's no (You) is you don't quote
>>
>>53287751
i've seen a couple people that were really good with vim but you're right most are just trying to look cool.
>>
>>53289780
>Professor codes shit in class
>Helping classmates code shit before/after class
>>
>>53287798
Underrated
>>
File: ap.jpg (99 KB, 564x861) Image search: [Google]
ap.jpg
99 KB, 564x861
>2016
>Not using Visual Studio for literally everything
>>
>>53287751
Maybe they aren't used to it yet.
I sucked at using things like C-f C-b C-n C-p before I got good at it.
>>
File: 4L_IkO2R0tH.jpg (55 KB, 657x360) Image search: [Google]
4L_IkO2R0tH.jpg
55 KB, 657x360
>>53287751
>he's not intelligent enough to use vim
>>
>>53289313
>Taking your hands off keyboard to do anything in a text editor.
>>
>>53290158
>learning a keybind that you'll use once a year
>>
>>53290763
>implying you only save once a year
>>
>>53290772
>implying I save more often that that
get with the times, gramps
>>
>>53290772
My IDE auto saves
>>
>>53291231
Emacs autosaves progress but doesn't overwrite the file unless explicitly told, I prefer it this way.
>>
>>53287751
>notepad++
No autoindent in n++. No I prefer emacs.
>>
>>53287751
>using notepad++ over the ssh connection
Tell me how, op.

And if you suggest installing a graphical environment on my server just to x forward I'm just going to laugh at you.
>>
>>53291344
wut, there is absolutely auto indentation in notepad++. I just tried with Java and it does. It probably depends on the language definitions.
>>
>>53291507
it's even funnier when you realize there's no port of notepad++ to POSIX compliant systems
>>
Reminder that Notepad++ lags so much when editing 4 large text files

EditPad Pro doesn't do this.
Be smart like me and get EditPad
>>
>>53287751
They're both trash.
>>
>>53291517
You don't know what is autoindentation.
>>
>>53287751
I love seeing autistic retards try to write common lisp in notepad++ while I breeze through it with Slime in Emacs.
>>
>>53292682
>lisp
>2016
literally the only useful lisp dialect is emacs lisp these days
>>
>>53292693
Good to see you have down syndrome as well
>>
> Did you know?
It's a fairly well established result of human-computer interaction research that when people use large numbers of keyboard shortcuts they perceive it as being faster than operating a mouse driven interface, but when actually timed it's typically slower.

Obviously doesn't apply to very commonly used commands. But if the user is pausing for even a moment before hitting the keyboard shortcuts it would usually be faster to just click a button.
>>
>>53287751
> not using sublime text
>>
>>53291270
same with vim
>>
>>53292818
>paying 70 bucks for a text editor
>having to pirate a text editor
Next you'll tell me you're using Winrar, too? All the while 7zip and peazip exist.
>>
how do I into vim like a madman?
>>
>>53292899
Vimtutor
>>
Vim and emacs is a meme. University makes students use it so they weed out the students that get buttflustered.

They're both complete trash in everyway. Pointless and cumbersome to use. Tell me why in the fucking world you'd dedicate time and energy to learning a text editor instead of a programming language. You'd have to be autistic to do this.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.