[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How are IDE's supposed to be so "user friendly"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: 1451520891567.jpg (26 KB, 350x600) Image search: [Google]
1451520891567.jpg
26 KB, 350x600
How are IDE's supposed to be so "user friendly" compared to vim, emacs and sublime? They just look like a huge cluster fuck of features.
>>
>>53282146
filters out the plebs
>>
They're pretty poor really
>>
>>53282146
My friends can't live without the refactoring thing. It lets them change variable/method names across their entire code base. Also, unit testing seems to be somewhat easier in an IDE. Other than that, I find IDEs get in the way.
>>
>>53282146
Because a clusterfuck of features is better than no features at all.
>>
>and sublime
Incredulous_pepe_looking_at_viewer10000x10000.png
>>
vim, emacs, and sublime are all crap.

youre better off with leafpad.

thank god notepad++ has a linux port.
>>
>>53282146
Is the pig watching anime or is that just a static image?
>>
>>53284131
Pigs are very intelligent and normally drawn towards anime, so yes.
>>
I thought they were clusterfucks too, but now that I am actually properly learning programming, it saves a lot of time to just type in non-existent classes and have the IDE make them. the red squiggly lines are pretty nice too. easier to immediately spot mistakes than compiling and finding the line with errors. eclipse constantly checks.
>>
WYSIWYG mostly.
>>
>>53282146
>How are IDE's supposed to be so "user friendly" compared to vim, emacs and sublime?

Retired software engineer here. (About 25 years in it.)

Here's my take on IDEs:

I learned to do everything from the command line. My main tools were vim, grep, and inserting printf statements in the code. A few times, I played around with IDEs, but I found they mostly just got in the way.

We had some other guys on the team who preferred to use Ellipse to debug. I definitely respected their preference, and I always made sure that when I set up makefiles I provide full support for building a debug version that works in Ellipse. We did embedded development, so I also set up remote debugging (gdbserver) and support scripts to make their lives easier. But I always found myself going back to good old printf every time.

Over the years, I just realized that it was a difference in personal style. I work in quick, jumpy style that heavily relies on using "grep" and "vim" all over the place, and anything that's not super light-weight just slows me down. Other guys like to set up a big, formal environment with sophisticated testing/debugging scripts -- and they liked spending a lot of time stepping through the code in the debugger to learn it, probably because they were not as familiar with the code as I was. I figured the best thing was for every developer to do it the way he thinks is best for him.
>>
File: laughin hor.gif (592 KB, 224x129) Image search: [Google]
laughin hor.gif
592 KB, 224x129
>>53284152
Are you trying to imply that that being smart predisposes one to watch anime?
>>
>>53284445
Logical, experience-backed up opinion on /g/ ? holy shit am i dreaming
>>
>>53282146
>They just look like a huge cluster fuck of features

Stop being autistic and ignore what you don't need.
>>
File: waking up a gentooman.webm (2 MB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
waking up a gentooman.webm
2 MB, 960x720
>>
With the right amount of plugins and configurations you can make vim and emacs behave exactly like any other ide
>>
>>53282146
they're "user friendly" because it's easy to teach code monkeys and the mentally retarded with them by dumping 200 slide powerpoints on "how to code"
>>
>>53282146
Why is that pig looking into a mirror?
>>
>>53283496
0/10 bait
>>
>>53284445
Thank you for a sensible response. You are an island in a sea of retard. I salute you anon.
>>
>>53282146
That pig has good taste in idols desu
>>
>>53287734
>honkshit
>good taste
>>
>>53284445
>use what makes u happy

On top of that, an IDE also automates a lot of the lower level parts of programming (compiling and linking, writing makefiles) that someone like me loves to do, but someone who doesn't use a shell everyday might hate.

So an IDE allows people who know (C or Java or w/e) but don't know the command line to contribute to the same codebase as a bash guru (well, to some extent.)

Also, a lot of people don't like looking at a terminal all day (when I first learned vim it wasn't through the terminal but throug Kate's VI input mode and I naturally just gave up kate for the real thing over time.)

tl;dr an IDE provides a good looking environment and automates the "boring stuff" so that people who are accustomed to GUI's can still work on projects.
>>
>>53282146
I think IDEs are great if you program in mostly one language. But if you have to jump between languages pretty often, you're better off getting good with a text editor and mastering it's language agnostic features/plugins like snippets and navigating ctags.
>>
>>53282146
literal autism and short attention span detected.

Friendly reminder that if you program in a text editor or something you're wasting a fuckton of time on trivia like imports, remembering/looking up method definitions, spellchecking, etc
>>
>>53289522
My text editor has import management, method completion/lookup, spellchecking, etc.
>>
>>53284450
He's implying that anime watchers are pigs
>>
>write Console.WriteLine("im a coder lolololo!!! ps: what is a dll");
>build, execute, it works!
>what are all these other features in this IDE? what a bloated piece of shit, i should tell /g/

And that, is how you know that OP is neither a programmer, nor an adult
>>
>>53284445
8 year software dev here

similar story, started with vi/vim, got a real job and want from Eclipse then Aptana then to Netbeans. Netbeans is awesome. I've got all the keybindings baked into my head, I sometimes type ctrl+shift+o to try to find things in a browser by mistake. integration with git a must have, refactoring and file search make it so easy to use

On a sidenote, I had an intern who had been in the industry longer than I had. He insisted he not use the tools everyone else was using, and spent three fucking days downloading plugins and compiling some vim fork, and he still fucked up the code refactor commiting borked code. other devs got sick of fixing his mistakes, he got shitter and shitter jobs until he got a 5 minute fixup job, and spent three weeks rebuilding a CMS with some BS hipster framework. he got sacked after that
>>
>>53289535
congratulations, it's an IDE
>>
>>53282146

This is like saying that Lisp and Haskell have retarded and unreadable syntax the first time you see them.

IDEs can make some developer's life easier and some others prefer command line tools + code editors for the same tasks. Some other people like to choose their tooling based on the project they are working on.

When I am working on small prototype projects or learning new technologies I like to use a code editor, but in case of a large project an ide is better FOR ME as the help they provide outweighs the drawbacks.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.