[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3038 353/linux/fedora-project
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: 1422831503872.png (128 KB, 414x225) Image search: [Google]
1422831503872.png
128 KB, 414x225
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3038353/linux/fedora-project-leader-matthew-miller-reveals-whats-in-store-for-fedora-in-2016.html

>But, if developers want to play games on their laptops, there’s a good chance they’ll need closed-source graphics drivers like those from Nvidia or AMD. Fedora has never officially supported these drivers due to its focus on free software, and has no plans to do so. However, the Fedora project would like to make the process of installing them less painful, and there will be a big conversation about that in the next year. “If you need to have those graphics drivers and you’re a grown-up, you can make that decision yourself,” said Miller.

So sad to see Fedora losing its strong advocacy position for free software. Framing the use of proprietary software as a grown-up decision is just pathetic for a group that used to pride themselves on taking a principled stand for free software.
>>
File: 12715.jpg (37 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
12715.jpg
37 KB, 500x281
we make the distros and we are the dreamers of the dreams

you will use the blob we provide for you and be happy for the opportunity to use it!
>>
What the fuck does it change for you? The whole fight for free software is a joke, just like Gamergate.
>>
>just like Gamergate

Gamergate are filled with children complaining about "MUH CENSORSHIP" in proprietary games.
>>
>>53279273
You are delusional, just like every other GNU SLASH LINUX user.
>>
File: smtyJ2Q.png (436 KB, 800x967) Image search: [Google]
smtyJ2Q.png
436 KB, 800x967
>>53279315
I'm a freedom fighter, I want /v/irgins stay out of it and keep proprietary garbage back to Windows.
>>
>>53279190
not allowing some kinds of code (in this case proprietary drivers) isn't really freedom
>>
As long as they make the non-free repo optional, there is no big deal. I hope they just merge with RPM Fusion as well.
>>
File: 1439150121991.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
1439150121991.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
Freetards BTFO
>>
>repo is full of only free software
>ONE tiny proprietary program gets introduced
TRASH.JPG LOL NONFREE DISTRO GUYS LETS BASH IT 100 TIMES BOTNET HURR
>>
Who would have thought video games are such a big deal.

I'm OK with this, if you can't play games on your main, you probably have another, Windows machine
>>
It's funny seeing freetards eat up proprietary software like the homeless tuck in to that one decent meal they get at the shelter each christmas.

Reading GNU/Linux users praise Valve for bringing them closed source games in a walled garden monopoly puts a smile on my face.

Closed source has won.
>>
If you want open source it's fine. Just don't force it on others.
>>
>>53279190
He didn't call you a kid. He said adults can be responsbile for what they install (the implication being users were protected from themself).
>>
>>53279190
People use Fedora?
>>
>>53279190
wasn't fedora confirmed NSA os or something?
>>
>>53280635
>selinux
>>
The faster OSS get the "videogames doun't count" meme out of their head the faster they can get their year of the linux desktop.
>>
>>53280635
no
>>
As if fucking Fedora was committed to freedom in the first place. Pretty sure they use the pleb non-free blob containing kernel, unlike Debian.
>>
Fedora already has a non-free optional repo for a long time now, how does this change anything?
>>
>>53282469
>unlike Debian
>which forces me to install non-free firmware to work anyway :(((
>>
>>53280246
Games don't need to be open source, mainly because you can't make money if they're open source
>>
>>53283684
they are not always necessary though, and at least you are aware of it.
>>
>>53281150

Yes, NSA developed SELinux for their own use and it's never been hidden
>>
>>53283694
I thought the Stallmanite stance on that was that the code (engine, etc) should be free software, but the assets (levels, models, textures, etc) can be distributed under a different license.

Anyway this issue is the axe I have to grind with Stallman and company. It's admirable to wish all software in the world were free software, and to work to make more of it free software. But that isn't yet the world we live in, and might never be, and in any case the buck stops with the user. The user decides what runs on his machine and nobody else - not the distro, not upstream, not the FSF - has the right to countermand him. You might not like his choice, but it is his choice. And a distro making it easier for the user to choose what he wants to run would be laudable in any other circumstance, so we should accept it here. You wanna be mad at someone, be mad at Nvidia and AMD for not making their drivers free, or providing the information needed for someone else to implement a free version.
>>
>>53279249
Fucking this. FOSS philosophy is dying a slow painful death, why anyone bothers is beyond me
>>
I install Linux, I don't pay for it, thus free.

I install propiretary drivers on my Linux system. I didn't pay a cent. They are free.

What's the big deal? I don't have to pay for shit.
>>
>>53283840

I'm not sure what mental gymnastics you're pulling off to think that the FSF giving you the freedom to pick and chose your software goes against their values of free as in libre.
>>
>>53280142
jpg is a proprietary format
>>
File: sensible_chuckle.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sensible_chuckle.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>53279190
>“If you need to have those graphics drivers and you’re a grown-up, you can make that decision yourself,
>if you're a grown up

Stallman

B T F O

T

F

O
>>
>>53283981

It's free as in libre or freedom. Not free beer. The core value is for people to have the freedom to do what they wish with the software. Proprietary software doesn't respect that value, but you have the freedom to choose.
>>
>>53284086
How? Stallman would probably agree.
>>
i somehow had the feeling that the people behind Fedora were more sensible than loony sjw Debian devs
>>
>>53284207

You want them to restrict your freedom?
>>
>>53280042
>not allowing
This meme has to end. Microsoft doesn't distribute third party programs to Windows users, and Fedora doesn't distribute certain nonfree software to its users. Why is it that Fedora is "not allowing" you to get programs (as in, just not giving them to you) but it's not the case that Microsoft is "not allowing" you to get programs?
>>
>>53280273
Note that it's perfectly okay to force closed source on others.
>>
>>53284609
You're not forced to use it.
>>
>>53284616
You're not forced to do anything.
>>
>>53284629
Yeah, I'm forced to be heterosexual
>>
>>53281309
It sounds like you have that backwards. If we don't count videogames as software, then it's easier to justify them.
The faster OSS accepts the "videogames don't count" meme into their head the faster they can get their year of the Linux desktop.
>>
>>53284667
Videogames do count though. In fact I will argue that free software video games are better and more fun. My favorite games are Nethack, Doom and Wesnoth, all of which are free software.
>>
>>53284697
They do, and they are. The poster I replied to doesn't seem to agree and just wants muh games on Linux [sic]
>>
>>53279190
Wew, thank based FSF and RMS for ALLOWING me to use closed-source drivers, i want to thank you for this opportunity to fully use my hardware the Way Its Meant To Be Used, and not used the way you WANT me too
>>
>>53280246
>GNU/Linux users praise Valve
99/100 times these people call themselves Linux users and not GNU/Linux users.
>>
>>53283694
>games need to make money but no other software needs to!
How is this logical?
>>
>>53284732
See >>53284554
Not distributing something != not allowing something.
>>
File: 1452291581952.gif (570 KB, 360x246) Image search: [Google]
1452291581952.gif
570 KB, 360x246
>>53284239
>restrict your freedom
PLEASE TELL ME HOW FUCKING SOFTWARE RESTRICTS MY FREEDOM
ITS THE BIGGEST FUCKING MEME IN THE WORLD
>>
>>53284799
>apt-get is a magical program that poofs software packages on my computer! it doesn't need to come from anywhere!
Not having software available in the repositories of the operating system is not disallowing you to get it from somewhere else.
>>
>>53279190
>The Fedora project would like to make the process of installing them less painful, and there will be a big conversation about that in the next year.

I don't see any problem with giving user a choice to do something with less effort. Only a 'muh special club' faggot would find problem with this.
>>
>>53284825
I don't know what your trying to say.....
>>
>>53284774
Have you ever used a piece of software (such as an operating system) and felt that it was too much effort to switch away to another competing piece of software? If so, then that software is restricting your freedom.
>>
>>53284864
>Have you ever used a piece of software (such as an operating system) and felt that it was too much effort to switch away to another competing piece of software? If so, then that software is restricting your freedom.
Not once, its trivial to switch Operating systems
>>
>>53284846
Not having software available in the repositories of the operating system is not disallowing you to get it from somewhere else.
>>
>>53284877
So you have never felt restricted by any software, even something that intentionally makes it difficult to know what the software is actually doing with your computer or your data, or intentionally makes it difficult to communicate with the developers about what they're up to? Or intentionally makes it difficult to share things with your friends?
>>
>>53284918
>Or intentionally makes it difficult to share things with your friends?
Not once
>So you have never felt restricted by any software, even something that intentionally makes it difficult to know what the software is actually doing with your computer or your data
Your going to have to expand on that, if a peice of software says its going to upload a image to say 4chan, and that's what it dose, than it did what it said.
>or intentionally makes it difficult to communicate with the developers about what they're up to
Not once, i tend never to have issues but anytime i have needed to contact a support team it's been relatively painless
>>
>>53284968
So you have never encountered software that you thought would censor you? Or self-censored yourself out of fear that the software would retaliate against you? Or encountered software that lies about what it does, or does things that are nefarious, such as spying on you?

Also consider yourself very lucky that you've never encountered bad customer support.
>>
>>53284774

That's not what I meant at all.

If fedora was preventing you from installing the proprietary drivers, that would be restricting your freedom. Instead they're simply not endorsing it.
>>
>>53285113
>So you have never encountered software that you thought would censor you
Besides profanity censorship that you can disable, no i never have.
>Or self-censored yourself out of fear that the software would retaliate against you
I only self censor in public, not when i'm using any software, because software CANT retaliate back at me

Is this the kind of world FOSS people live in? Its nothing short of insanity ...
Also...
>Also consider yourself very lucky that you've never encountered bad customer support.

i tend to get pissed things don't work sometimes and then vow to never use them again, that also might be why, applies to both open and closed source software
>>
>>53279249
>>53279273
You both have proven you don't understand anything about the GG movement. Please educate yourselves on what it actual stands for.
>>
>>53285345
I made it point not to learn of even talk about whatever gamergate is
>>
>>53285360
>Ignorance: The Post
>>
>>53285372
How so, its most likely irrelevant to anything ever. just like whatever happened at reddit with that CEO
>>
>>53285345
GG is a honeypot.
>>
>>53284752
Underrated post
>>
File: linux games.png (24 KB, 660x319) Image search: [Google]
linux games.png
24 KB, 660x319
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.