[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The /g/ lifestyle is only appealing when you have nothing going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: 1442868389112.jpg (31 KB, 450x437) Image search: [Google]
1442868389112.jpg
31 KB, 450x437
The /g/ lifestyle is only appealing when you have nothing going on in your life (i.e NEET).

Let me tell you why.

You have plenty of free time. Yeah, you can wake up whenever you life, sleep whenever, have no obligations, nothing. That's why you love to download bleeding edge releases, even if it requires you to restore from backups. You can afford to spend weeks learning *that* markdown shit. You can afford to lose your files when your nightlies crash and corrupt your shit. It doesn't make a difference to you as you rev up another anime to go along with a reformat.

But the rest of the world doesn't live like that. We can important jobs to do. We have degrees to complete. We have bridges to build, rockets to fly and people to save. We need to use proven, stable solutions such as Office, on extremely well supported platforms such as Windows. We need to protect our business using state of the art products like Kaspersky Internet Security; not the rubbish offered for free.

Your wasteful hobbies aren't anything but a waste of time. Grow up and join the real wold.
>>
>>53271499
Debian stable is more stable than Windows.
>>
REMINDER:

If OP post has a cartoon frog as an image it' either a shitpost or bait.

Don't waste your time reading it.
>>
>>53271499
I honestly assumed OP was posting a pasta, this needs to become a pasta.
>>
Yeah op, I'm sure you're a pussy crushing alpha with a 140 IQ score coming on to /g/ to shitpost.
>>
>>53271499
I would buy op a beer.
>>
>>53271516
This, a ton of NEETs and non-NEETs install Debian stable and call it a day. Only tryhards install bleeding edge like arch linux.
>>
>>53271499
so run Debian or CentOS. You set them up and they just werk. Security's taken care of and nothing breaks. Lower maintenance than any version of Windows or OS X. And though you never need to tinker around, if you want to the capability will always be there. It's comfy, you should try it.
>>
Didn't read your stupid shit but stop posting redditfrog, or at least fuck off back to /r/pepethefrog
>>
>>53271577
>install CentOS
>most packages are literally 20 years old
>>
File: something happened.jpg (315 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
something happened.jpg
315 KB, 1200x900
>>53271660
So? It works. There's people who take a lot of time testing that shit for you ahead of time to make sure of it.

Go ahead, run Windows 10 and tell me it looked like something someone literally tested for over a year before releasing it.
>>
>>53271499
>I have an inferiority complex regarding other people's operating systems
Wew.
>>
File: 1452566691410.png (299 KB, 942x848) Image search: [Google]
1452566691410.png
299 KB, 942x848
>>53271784
yo Falcon, this is completely off topic, but because you're here, I wanted to give you a (You) and an idea. Why doesn't Logical Increments have a concise little timeline of "here's what's slated for release in the upcoming year or so"? Like just a brief overview thing about "Rumors are Nvidia's releasing Pascal in Q2 this year, so maybe you want to hold off if you're thinking of buying a 970"
>>
File: filthy casual.jpg (65 KB, 467x325) Image search: [Google]
filthy casual.jpg
65 KB, 467x325
I work 48/hrs per week, 12hr shift
OP is a fucking scrub
>>
>>53271499
>We can important jobs to do.

A handful of people build the bridges/fly the rockets. The overwhelming majority of people work in commerce/industry selling needless shit to each other at the planet's expense. And you hear all those people whine for more free time after their hard work of checking instagram and talking to coworkers.
>>
File: l.php.gif (17 KB, 248x192) Image search: [Google]
l.php.gif
17 KB, 248x192
>any form of linux more stable than windows
Windows just werks. W7 does anyways. I have done 0 maintenance to my Windows 7 Enterprise install in over a year. Any program I need just installs and works. Everything has a driver, and it installs automatically. I never have to compile anything, I never have to search for packages, and there's a team of world class developers and programs who have my back 24/7, both at Microsoft, and the company I work for, who keep my PC safe with constant updates, both for viruses and bleedin edge malware m8. No zero-day shit in here.

But tell me again why Linux, of any form, is my lord and savior?
>>
>>53271499
I agree with like 70% of what you're trying to convey. And im not gonna bite the bait just nibble: GNU/LINUX is anywhere between 70%-80% of all the world servers. 65%-75% of the webservers run Apache... Which is completely open-source software, correct me if im wrong here /g/ but I believe it's also Free. Lots of motherfuckers run other open source free mo itoring network solutions like Nagios to ensure their network is safe. That's like 90% of what we run here at our datacenter.. And that's my job. Our office computers where 50% of the time im In Putty for SSH into one of the Linux servers, run windows 7, but im mainly just using that to go online to look shit up and fuxk around on. My main computer at home has Debian running with a secondary sad running Win10. I find myself using Win10 less and less. Ive been so busy with my job, studying and school that I dont have time to gayme anymore. So much od your statement is obviously false.
>>
File: 1455689909977.jpg (53 KB, 685x567) Image search: [Google]
1455689909977.jpg
53 KB, 685x567
>>53271499
>We can important jobs to do.
>>
>>53271660
Plus fuck Centos 7 cmd syntax and change of directories and no more fucking ifconfig, drives me up the wall. I know it's deprecated im just so fucking used to it.
>>
Im also going to assume 4chan is hosted on a LAMP box somewhere....
>>
>>53272096
4chan is hosted on a cluster of 11 2005 mac minis. Dummy.
>>
>>53272041
>>But tell me again why Linux, of any form, is my lord and savior?
You don't have to go looking for those drivers. The OS knows how to talk to whatever hardware you put it on. No going to download.com and dealing with shady installers that try and sneak toolbars and malware in. The distro has it all, it's just apt-get install programname. Security updates are one command too. Apt is famous for being slow, and it's an order of magnitude faster than windows update, and you don't need to reboot. And you have the same huge team of testers and devs and security people keeping you safe, they just happen to not all work for one company.

oh yeah, and it's all free as in beer, too.
>>
>>53272144
All running FreeBSD
>>
>>53271915
That sounds god awful, and I'm not even a NEET.
>>
>>53272144
Thought that shit died long ago. Im not a dummy just ignorant of wtf moot is doing cause quite frankly I dont keep up with 4chand tech and admin Sept.
>>
>>53272564
Dept.*
>>
>>53271499
>CONFORM
dick off cuckboy
>>
>>53272145
If you dont have the exact name of the program file apt-get is useless. The only thing that drives me crazy is how the names of the programs differ between distro. Apt-get MySQL, yum install MySQLd
>>
>>53271499
>That's why you love to download bleeding edge releases, even if it requires you to restore from backups.
I run bleeding-edge versions of everything and have never needed to restore from backups.
>>
>>53272144
Why? they're just overpriced hotplates.
>>53272152
So its a UAMP box
>>
>>53272603
The bottom line here is to just use Gentoo. They're the only distro I've ever used with sane naming conventions.

Mostly because Gentoo splits everything into a category/basename hierarchy, so they get around the problem of ambiguous package names without having to resort to mangling either package's name.

Also, Gentoo's slots and USE flags means that you don't need a shitton of extra package names for e.g.
liblua52-dev
since just
emerge lua
will be enough.
>>
>>53272145
>Apt is famous for being slow
I use it with
eatmydata
which helps a lot.

Apt is mostly slow because they insist on running sync after every single operation.
>>
>>53272656
95% of users only need a web browser, a basic office suite, and a media player.
>>
>>53272722
you overestimate the needs of the average user. for a surprisingly large number of them their requirements stop at "has a spell-checker"
>>
File: 1454559834414.jpg (80 KB, 708x708) Image search: [Google]
1454559834414.jpg
80 KB, 708x708
>>53271499
fite me 1v1 IRL normie scum
>>
>>53271499
Yeah, try installing Windows and your "proven solution" on a network switch and see how far that takes you. I'll give you that it's hard to stay bleeding edge when you're working full time and meeting deadlines, but I wouldn't have gotten where I am without the borderline autistic obsession with bleeding edge.

I'm going to blog a bit here because this is a dumb thread anyway, but I'm living the /g/ dream. I was NEET for like a year when I dropped out of school and became obsessed with computers and specifically, Linux. I got really into ricing and writing shitty scripts to facilitate my laziness. Eventually, I ended up going to a hackathon and one of my teammates offered to help me get a job with him writing software for network equipment. Months after getting the job, I asked him why he went so far to get me hired (we didn't have to do much programming with our project.)

He told me it was because he saw how riced out my Linux machine was, and his team was looking for someone with that skillset.

I owe my job and my career to the /g/ lifestyle. I get paid to do exactly what I would have been doing at home every day, but with more resources and a better coffee machine.
>>
>>53271963

/This, thanks for properly typing this out for me since I am in my mobile device.

>college graduate

I work as a mechanic, make about 100K USD a year. In turn I make a good income to afford luxuries such as pricy tech. My waifu also makes the same amount as me making us Dinc. I love tech, it is my job so it is my life.

So yeah, I am on /g/
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.