[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LaTeX general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: 1200px-LaTeX_logo.svg.png (24 KB, 1200x500) Image search: [Google]
1200px-LaTeX_logo.svg.png
24 KB, 1200x500
Discuss your favourite editors, tools, ask questions, and help beginners getting started with LaTeX.

I'll start. I use LaTeX primarily for writing all kinds of reports, preferably but not exclusively using Vim. Here's an excerpt from my ~/.vimrc to write LaTeX documents using Vim and Rubber (e.g. apt-get install rubber).

syntax enable
set number
set autochdir
au BufRead *.tex setlocal spell spelllang=en_gb
au BufWritePost *.tex !rubber --clean % && rubber --pdf --warn=all %

The last line automatically compiles a LaTeX PDF when you write/save your .tex document.

Some more user friendly GUI editors:
- LaTeXila
- Texmaker
- TeXstudio
>>
I know you generally shouldn't be bloating up vim with plugins but this one is actually worth it.
>Install vim-dispatch
>:set makeprg=rubber\ --clean\ %\ &&\ rubber\ --pdf\ --warn=all\ %
>:Make
Now you're compiling the pdf when you run :Make but it's doing so asynchronously. You can then set it to run Make whenever you save like you do now.

Shit's great.
>>
>>53264236
Don't you know /g/ is now propa/g/anda ? They're all engineer, or students-to-be-engineers, but no one cares about things like LaTeX, they're instead babbling about smartphones and pizzas.

As for LaTeX, how do you do when your document is made of various parts ? Does rubber handle this ?

I don't use this kind of method 'cuz that (or it is bothersome).

As for new users, just use TeXLive and watherver editor you want (Kile, if u want to click click and uses Linux).
>>
File: mad.jpg (59 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
mad.jpg
59 KB, 633x758
>falling for the LaTeX meme
>>
>>53264369
Cool, thanks. It would be nice to have a Vim built-in feature for asynchronous execution of commands, though.

>>53264385
Sad truth.

>As for LaTeX [...]
Yes, rubber is aware of all input files and also compiles documents several times to make sure it runs BibTeX and such, if required.
>>
Beyond simple documents I'm an idiot with LaTeX.
>>
troff > latex
Real men know this.
>>
>>53264413

you millenial bastard are "studying" on books that could have been composed on LaTeX

So gobble a LaTeX Preservative, you dickhead
>>
>>53264642
>books that could have been composed on LaTeX
Most books are composed on InDesign or QuarkXpress (with extra plugins)
>>
>>53264662
Surely you mean ``most non-scientific modern books'', the vast majority of which are complete rubbish and bear no literary merits.
>>
>>53264662
Not CompSci books. they are done in troff.
http://www.troff.org/pubs.html

just ask legends W. Richards Stevens and Tanenbaum.
http://www.kohala.com/start/rstevensfaq.html
http://www.cs.vu.nl//~ast/home/faq.html

Plus Oreilly mainly uses troff.
>>
>>53264662
dumbillenial
>>53264723
menial
>>
>>53264734
>about 10 distinct books, half of which were written in troff out of principle
>>
>>53264811
>orielly 10 books.
>>
>>53264827
>oreilly uses troff
[citation needed]
>>
>>53264520
Neovim has built in async
>>
>>53264901
The final output is XML based Docbook.
http://docbook.org/whatis

The DocBook DTD was originally designed and implemented by HaL Computer Systems and O'Reilly & Associates around 1991. It was developed primarily for the purpose of holding the results of troff conversion of UNIX documentation, so that the files could be interchanged.
>>
>>53264988
Oh I see. So they are using DocBook instead of troff. Now that makes much more sense.
>>
>>53265058
Nobody writes in XML directly stupid.
>>
>>53265092
But it does seem that they are pushing asciidoc over troff now.

http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1230000000065/index.html
>>
Can someone TLDR me on latex?
>>
>>53265092
Most certainly, yes. But nobody creates DocBook from troff either, as you seem to be claiming (quite ridiculous, if you ask me).
>>
>>53265143
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Write stuff here.
\end{document}
>>
>>53265178
You missed this then >>53264988
"It was developed primarily for the purpose of holding the results of troff conversion"

So I wonder if you are intentionally being obtuse or if you're just stupid.
>>
>>53264974
So does vim
>>
File: 361.png (626 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
361.png
626 KB, 400x400
>Latex
>>
>>53265228
This only mentions one of the motivations behind the particular piece of software. I think it's reasonable to assume that troff was used for the purpose some 30 years ago, but that's pretty much it.
>>
>>53265388
> Spend 6 months writing a chemistry thesis with a billion formulae
> Word shits itself
>>
>>53265401
they've only recently switched to asciidoc/markdown. (2013)
http://docs.atlas.oreilly.com/

They used troff before because that is what most authors already knew.
>>
is LyX LaTeX?
>>
>>53265573
LyX is a WYSIWYG LaTeX editor. I can't recommend it to anyone that actually wants to learn LaTeX.
>>
>>53265657
but it werks.

it's not like i'm using anything but templates anyway.
>>
>>53265690
If you don't want to learn LaTeX, sure.
>>
>>53265657
I tried to use it. It is fucking garbage. You can't do neat stuff in it. It is like a downgraded version of Word. You can customize more stuff in Word than you can in Lyx.

If you want to use LaTeX. Then use Texmaker or some other gui OP mentioned. Learning LaTeX takes no longer than a weekend playing around with it.
>>
Maybe we should make this a 'Typesetting general'.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.