[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /g/, Does python suck? or does python actually rule?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: opengraph-icon-200x200.png (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
opengraph-icon-200x200.png
8 KB, 200x200
So /g/,

Does python suck? or does python actually rule?
>>
>>53256974

java > python
>>
>>53256985
this i can agree with, but only because

almost any other language > java > python
>>
>>53256974
It's just the de facto Visual Basic counter part in Linux/Unix.
>>
teach yourself C# and save yourself a fucking headache down the road
>>
>>53257069
what headache?
>>
I dislike whitespace delimited languages. Other than that it's fine I gess
>>
>>53256985
Java is too verbose, it has portability going for it but so does Python, which sports a cleaner syntax and the same performance, if not more so thanks to interpretation.
>>
File: eel.gif (20 KB, 282x322) Image search: [Google]
eel.gif
20 KB, 282x322
>>53256974
The real question is whether you have read your SICP today or not.
>>
>>53257087
fuck whitespace, i strongly dislike it as well
>>
>>53257087

significant indentation is a choice that's not absurd.

Even with blocks, you will end-up indenting your code, so blocks are kind of a redondant information, adding to a language verbosity.
>>
>>53257082
They can't even come up with a decent argument.
C# is just a shitty Java clone, without the one thing that made Java unique, which was embedding on the web with applets (applets are a dying technology thanks to JavaScript)
Both languages will be slowly deprecated into obsolescence, most Java devs are kept around just to maintain legacy software.
>>
>>53257149
>hates indentation
>enjoys writing currynigger level code that no one can read
Looks like we found a perl user
>>
Out of curiosity, are there other languages that support things like descriptors, metaclasses, and python's level of operator overloading?
>>
>>53257180
>>53257236
>BTFO by PyTards
Dark days ahead.
>>
>>53257174
I find brackets slightly easier to read, specifically when I have a nested loop or something similar that goes down 2 or more levels of indentation at the end. Brackets give an easy-to-read "step down" for each level
>>
Python is an absolutely horrid language. It subjugates the user and removes freedom from them. It forces the user to do things instead of giving them the freedom of choice, and this has a massive impact, particularly on the users who want to do in-depth programming.

Perl is a much better language. In Perl, There Is More Than One Way To Do It, and it makes Easy Things Are Easy While Hard Things Are Possible. Because of this, it is a much more flexible language and allows for much more concise programming. Furthermore, programs are typically MUCH faster than Python because Perl gives the user the ability to make specific decisions about his or her program in order to optimize it, even at the low levels.

If you want a slow, babysitter language, then Python is for you. Otherwise...Maybe you should try Perl...
>>
>>53257113
>and the same performance
>>
>>53257113
LOL, nope! Python is an extremely slow language as it subjugates the user, stripping them of freedom and forcing them to do specific things in their programming in a specific way.

Perl, on the other hand, is much faster than Java as it is much more flexible and allows for lots of optimization, by both the programmer and the interpreter. The Java interpreter, on the other hand, is also garbage. Very slow and wasteful of resources.
>>
>>53256974
python is wonderful
>>
>>53257236
Looks like we found another python user with a chip on the shoulder.

Why do so many python users (at least the ones below a certain age) feel the need to rag on perl at any opportunity? Are you that insecure?
>>
JavaScript is the future. Python is the Perl of today
>>
>>53257284
Haskell
>>
>>53257549
I agree, all languages have their pros and cons, but Python is an easy to learn language and the philosophy behind it (there should be one way to do it) make problem solving easy.
>>
>>53257113
I kind of like how verbose java is. You always know exactly where something is from and what it is. You don't need an IDE to track down a declaration.

>>53257236
Pythons strict requirement of tabs and whitespace gives very little options for formatting. If you don't like how python is formatted, you're fucked.

Braces also more clearly define code blocks than indentation.
>>
File: 1453207953983.jpg (16 KB, 576x463) Image search: [Google]
1453207953983.jpg
16 KB, 576x463
>>53257771
Python's one way to do it philosophy pisses me off. They have one way to do something that only works Ok at everything instead of a couple ways that are better for specific tasks.

Also EAFP is cancer and should die. Exceptions aren't the only way to do things, input validation is easier a lot of the time.
>>
>>53258054
>You don't need an IDE to track down a declaration.
You just need an IDE for everything else in java.
Also you know where it comes from in Python as long as you don't do shit like from xxx import *.
>>
>>53258100
input validation is often less efficient than yoloing and catching exceptions
>>
deep learning
>>
>>53258100
>>53258820
EAFP is nice for volatile stuff like network connectivity and file locks where you either have to check a million times or have race conditions. For simple things like getting a value from a map I think it reads a bit easier to check first.

Personal preference, I think it feels fucking gross coding like that.
>>
>>53258100
that's a pretty dank image bro
>>
File: Cena-3.jpg (33 KB, 682x400) Image search: [Google]
Cena-3.jpg
33 KB, 682x400
Java and Python are the recommended programming languages beginners should start with.

What language tree does Java open up and what does Python?
When I say "language tree" I mean what language is similar to it and would be easier to pick up. I know that if you know a lot of languages it's easy to pick anything up but let's discuss this from a beginners standpoint.

Java -> C# -> C++?

Python -> ???
>>
>>53256974
It does, but the bigger problems are CPython and the politics around Python.
>>
>>53256974
Python sucks as a first language or for anything large

Python rules for quick throwaway scrpts
>>
>>53259541
learning python first will fuck you up because you won't get used to curly braces
>>
Started a side project in python, it was supposed to be a few hundred lines max, I wanted to keep it simple.
It ended up being a thousand lines long, and a nightmare to maintain. I'll never use python for anything other than small scripts again.
>>
>>53259626
that happens to shitty programmers regardless of language
>>
>>53256974
It's great for what it was meant for. Nobody should be making enterprise applications with Python, but for tiny scripts, it's awesome.
>>
Personally I think that Python is the best scripting language, and Java can over complicate things.
>>
Python is good for nifty little scripts but I wouldn't program anything bigger in it
>>
the project I'm working on has 198868 lines of python code currently
>>
>>53260235
gotta get those quads
>>
>>53260235
Woah that's like, 4 whole lines of c++
>>
>>53260235
and that's not counting the imported packages
>>
- GIL
- perpetual python2 vs python3 dichotomy
- no tail recursion, perpetual stack overflow
- dynamic typed
- terrible standard library
- terrible package manager
- slow but faster than ruby
- exceptions/stack rippling preferred over functional&composable monads
- language designer is a memer / doesn't know good OOP or even FP
>>
It seems no matter what, everyone likes different languages personally I can't code but I really want to get into it I'm going to start with python because I've heard it's easier and is a great way to build a foundation to bridge off into languages that are more complicated
>>
>>53259541
They are both essentially C clones so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>53256985
C++ > Java
Python > Java
fuck java fucking indian language
its like the hindi of programming languages
>>
>>53259601
No, it really won't, any more than learning a language that uses curly braces will keep you from learning whitespace delimited languages.

Minor syntax quirks stop mattering after you've learned a few programming languages
>>
Python 3 was a mistake
>>
Python is a great language, useful for rapid prototyping due to its massive library and clean, concise syntax.

Every programmer needs to know a scripting language or two. Yes, C++ and Java are faster and better for larger projects, but sometimes you need to whip up a quick script to do something simple. This is where Python is highly useful, since it has libraries to assist in just about anything. It's more popular than Perl and Ruby, and it's obviously better in every way than PHP. And on top of that, it only takes a few days to learn. You might as well.
>>
>>53260246
more like 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999 lines of c++
>>
>>53257236
Perls regex is superior and whitespaces are a total pain in the ass.
>>
>>53258054
Little options for formatting is great because it means Pajeet will be able to read your code when he replaces you
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.