[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /g/'s opinion on the Logitech MX 518?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: 91YmmYMH40L._SL1500_.jpg (206 KB, 1500x1364) Image search: [Google]
91YmmYMH40L._SL1500_.jpg
206 KB, 1500x1364
What's /g/'s opinion on the Logitech MX 518?
>>
File: Logitech Mice.png (72 KB, 644x1918) Image search: [Google]
Logitech Mice.png
72 KB, 644x1918
>>
It's the best mouse I've ever had, I got so used to it that I've been using Logitech mice styled similar to it (ergonomically) ever since
>>
>>53242337
I don't get it

Does it squeak a lot?
>>
Excellent for its time, but I see no reason to seek one out now.
>>
>>53242363
What a better alternative for $30?
>>
Good overall, the angle snapping is the only thing I'd hold against it.
>>
>>53242380
>angle snapping
que
>>
>>53242346
It produces a constant 15kHz sound. You will feel like you have Tinnitus.
>>
>>53242391
YOU'RE FUCKING LYING THIS CAN'T POSSIBLY BE A THING
>>
>>53242397
https://www.google.com/search?q=high+pitched+noise+mx+518

It's real.
>>
>>53242391
>>53242411

>The problem isn't terribly uncommon - ceramic caps have an awful lot of good qualities. For a number of applications, properly rated ceramic caps are pretty much the ideal choice. The problem is that if there is enough voltage ripple on a ceramic cap, it will physically "ring" (Google for "ceramic capacitor microphonics"). The real kicker here is that whoever designed this for Logitech decided to pulse the wheel encoder LED at 5KHz, and due to the magic of frequency multiplication, we end up with noise at the 3rd harmonic, 15KHz which is high enough to only enough to drive some small fraction of the general population nuts. ... If Logitech were to change the sampling frequency up by 20% or more, or change the capacitor type, or just stop pulsing the thing and eat the extra couple mW of power dissipation, this issue would go away.

Holy shit nigga I'm about to cry, I have really good hearing too and might be effected by this.

I just can't find a better option for the price.
>>
>>53242422
how are you even finding MX 518s at a good price these days? The thing hasn't been in production for many years. The G400 was also great but that isn't in production anymore either
>>
>>53242446
Thrift store in my town has one for cheap

Does this effect all mice or just some? Is this a thing that happens after long use?
>>
>>53242318
Not as good as the intellimice of its time.I'm not a fan of mouse correction. MX510>MX518
>>
>>53242619
what's the difference
>>
>>53242391
I don't hear it because I don't have a 1337 sielent peecee
>>
>>53242318
Why does it look like someone hit it a bunch of times with a hammer?
>>
It's the 1337 paintjob
>>
>>53242318
wtf why would you buy a mouse with dents in it

lol gamers sure are retarded
>>
1. The body is disgustingly huge. If you are a palmer, just end yourself. Seriously, how can you faggots bear looking at yourselves in the mirrors?
2. Enjoy your coil whine
3. Enjoy your angle snapping
4. Enjoy your inverse acceleration
5. Enjoy your shit tracking
6. Enjoy your shit scroll wheel
7. Enjoy needing shitty Logicrap drivers

Why do people, in ANY day an age, think buying peripherals from Logitech is going to leave them with anything but disappointment?

There is literally NOT ONE good product that Logicrap has ever produced in the history of the company's existence.

If you wanted a decent mouse, you could get a Zowie FK. But you're retarded enough to consider Logicrap, so I guess you'll ignore my advice as well.
>>
>>53242318
God tier mouse. It's hard to find them anymore in Australia so I got a G400 now, love it just as much.
>>
>>53243611
what's a good mouse that isn't too expensive and doesn't break or develop problems within a few years?
>>
>>53243635
There is none.

>Doesn't break and develop problems within a few years
>Isn't too expensive
>Is a good mouse
Choose exactly one.
>>
>>53243635
Nothing from Logitech. They're literally the only brand of mice that I've ever had fuck up on me through means other than external wear.
>>
>>53243611
I've had it for nearly 6 years now, I don't recall a lot of mice back then being good
I'd switch to something else, but I don't like the idea of abandoning a perfectly functional piece of technology, and because I would have to get used to a different mouse.
>>
I found an MX510 from my brothers pile of unused shit and overclocked it to 500hz, how fucked am I?
>>
>>53243668
you better be water cooling it
>>
>>53243611
>1. The body is disgustingly huge. If you are a palmer, just end yourself. Seriously, how can you faggots bear looking at yourselves in the mirrors?
True. It's not made for claw grips, but this is definitely a taste issue.
>2. Enjoy your coil whine
Small chance you won't even notice because you have headphones on or speakers on or something. Still a (sort of) valid point.
>3. Enjoy your angle snapping
>4. Enjoy your inverse acceleration
>5. Enjoy your shit tracking
Yes. Shit by design. All three points.
>6. Enjoy your shit scroll wheel
Sometimes the wheel needed only so much as a light tip to scroll 3 units.
>7. Enjoy needing shitty Logicrap drivers
This however is a false statement. You can be tortured by this mouse without needing drivers at all.
>>
>>53243682
>You can be tortured by this mouse without needing drivers at all.
Do you lose any functionality by not using the drivers?

(E.g. the ability to set DPI)
>>
>>53243693
>setting dpi
it has buttons for that
>>
>>53243655
how about the first one, i don't need a perfect sensor and if it lasts longer than $60 gamertrash it might be worth it

>>53243656
my mx518 lasted longer than my wmo 1.1a and sensei raw, all 3 of those have gotten double register issues and scroll issues, mx518 being the worst as far as scroll goes, sensei sometimes scrolls in the wrong direction
>>
>>53243693
None at all. Sidebuttons still work and are configurable in-game and the DPI button works like it should.
>>
>>53242318

I fucking love mine.
9 years old, still working flawlessly, 5 years gaming everyday, 4 years 8 hours work everyday, I doubt ANYTHING we buy today will do that.

Angle snapping?
Yah, its why I changed for gaming, still a marvelous piece of equipment for work, macros on every button.
High pitched whine?
Sure - if i put it up to my ear, and I'm pretty suspectible to stuff like this, many chargers and shit give off the same and drives me nuts, but this is not nearly strong enough to be noticeable.

I initially changed for a g400 - but as that started doubleclicking on 2 buttons in just 2 yeaers, I dropped that shit, I do use its housing now though since the slippery finish of the mx518 was not ideal.
>>
>>53243719
>how about the first one, i don't need a perfect sensor and if it lasts longer than $60 gamertrash it might be worth it
Sorry, I can't give you any recommendations in that category - but I know they exist. (i.e. mice that don't use cheap shit switches that die after a few years)
>>
>>53243751
Also - I loved that you could take out the scroll spring so its just a smooth scroll without the segments and shit.
I have to destroy stuff in new mice to get the same effect.
>>
Using mine since god knows when (I guess it was 06?) and I can't complain.
>>
seems too expensive
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (444 KB, 599x651) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
444 KB, 599x651
it has a face?
>>
>>53243861

;)
>>
Specs wise is breddy gud, but it's way too large for my smaller-than-average hands. Got a g400 once and returned it after a week, couldn't palm it properly.
>>
>>53242337
OH MY FUCKING GOD IT DOES THAT WTF
>>
>>53242337
holy shit i've had this mouse for 7 years now and just held it up the my ear what the fuck
>>
>>53243861
Like it wasnt creepy enouhh already
>>
which mouse does not have accelarated movement and desnt need specific drivers?
>>
The G400 is better.
>>
Don't like it at all. I remember when it came out and everyone cool bought it but I thought it didn't feel good in my hand. Eventually I did buy it in a form, it was a logitech G400 (or whatever the rebrand was called) and it was cheap. My G9 had shitted out and I needed to replace it. It felt like garbage compared to the G9 even though the G9 was a little flimsy. It's too light and too big.
>>
File: 1456591795524.png (289 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
1456591795524.png
289 KB, 1200x600
>>53242318
Depreciated
>>
>>53246085
Zowie FK/AM. Both great devices.
>>
>>53242391
Holy shit. Fucking hell, with my ear near the mouse I can hear it clearly. And now I can't unhear it. Fuck. I thought this was just another tone in my tinnitus. I need a new mouse.
>>
>>53246683
arent they a bit overpriced?
>>
>>53242337
holy shit ive had this thing like 8 years and i've never heard any noise before.. jesus christ why would you do this to me
>>
>>53246683
>>53246683
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyESa4HTbhA
>>
>>53242318

overpriced piece of shit
>>
>>53243611
ok
>>
File: tip.jpg (97 KB, 500x451) Image search: [Google]
tip.jpg
97 KB, 500x451
>>53243611
>look at my superiority because I have a 2015 gaymin mouse
>>
pretty good, got a G402 when my MX518 became filthy beyond believe after being 9 years in use (8k hours of tf2)

I'd say the G402 is an update, aesthetically and it feels a bit more precise, I'm doing worse with it atm though because I used the opportunity of getting used to a new mouse to decrease my sensitivity by a lot.
>>
I have one, I love it. I have no idea what angle snapping is though. Whatever it is clearly doesn't matter, as I've had no issue with this mouse whatsoever.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.