[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best operating system and why
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: 909852786_1357508933.png (55 KB, 420x174) Image search: [Google]
909852786_1357508933.png
55 KB, 420x174
What is the best operating system and why
>>
GNU/Linux
>>
>>53237937
Falafel.
>>
File: basketballdancing.gif (2 MB, 227x171) Image search: [Google]
basketballdancing.gif
2 MB, 227x171
Windows / Linux duality mustard race.-
>>
The one that's the right tool for the given task. That is TempleOS.
>>
>>53237937
openBSD: secure and stable; qubes os: secure; arch linux: customizable; lfs: you learn how to compile your personal gnu/linux distro from scratch
>>
and for fuck sake piss off with windows, os x is ok, because also retarded people should be able to use a computer
>>
>>53237937
Times New Roman
>>
>>53238079
kek
>>
>>53237937
Linux because free and open-source
>>
>>53237937
Linux/GNU
>>
Windows because it has games
>>
>>53238390
>>>/v/
>>
Linux because the penguin is cute.
>>
Apple, because that's what my parents buy me and its easy to use. Has a ton of apps and works well with Photoshop. I never have to worry about what parts to buy, I just get the newest one and it works fantastic.
>>
GNU/Hurd
>>
>>53237937
Linux
>>
illumos
>>
>>53237937
BSD/Linux as it only exists in virtualization
>>
>>53239883
niceme.me
>>
>>53237937
>another thread in which a bunch of autistic laymen and gamertards argue about which platform is the absolute best for their platform-agnostic use cases using the same boring, unfunny canned shitpost arguments grounded in egoism, articles taken out of context and anecdotal evidence from the last thread that 404'd two hours ago, over and over again for two and a half decades

for real, what the fuck is /g/'s fascination with babby's first shitpost retard magnet subjects like this? and we wonder why this place is shit for any actual technology discussion?
>>
>>53241086
/thread. Ya'll need to start talking about productive things instead of shitposting and shilling.

SAGED
>>
>>53241086
>>53242903
samefag/micro$hill
>>
windows for games and office work
linux for developing
osx for showing off
>>
Red Star OS
>>
Gentoo.

I had to install it on my wife's sons computer and he likes it.
>>
>>53237937
Depends on what you're doing. I use Windows mostly, with some OSX clients for testing.

Media server runs OpenMediaVault + ZFS + Plex.

Infrastructure is Server 2012 R2 / 2016.

Virtualization is either Hyper-V or ESXi.

I'm likely going to build an LFS system soon, mostly for shits and giggles, but I use need powershell, so Windows it is.
>>
OSX.
It's like windows but without the bullshit

Linux is okay too but has no software
>>
>>53237972
This to be desu
>>
>>53237937
this question cannot be answered due to lack of details.

and i wonder why i left this shithole
>>
None, of them are better than any of the others. All three of them are tools which share similarities and differences. You choose tools based on what you are trying to accomplish and what you need. The more tools you have, the more productive and versatile you can be.
>>
>I have a job to support my family
Windows
>Daddy brought me a computer for my liberal arts degree
OSX
>I'm a lunatic! MUH FREEDOMS MUFFUGA REEEEEE MOM WHERE ARE THE HOTPOCKETS?!?!?!?!
Free OSes such as loonix.
>>
> Windows = OS
> Linux = Kernel
> Mac OS = OS

Can You spot a difference? :3
>>
>>53243175
>Free OSes such as loonix.
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
The best OS in my opinion is Windows. I know there are lot´s of viruses for it but It has a lot of apps than Mac OS or linux.
>>
LOONIX is for poorfags and autists. Buy quality, buy Windows.

Demand genuine Microsoft software.
>>
File: 1443350941658.gif (919 KB, 249x190) Image search: [Google]
1443350941658.gif
919 KB, 249x190
>>53237937
Your preferred UNIX(-like) operating system of choice.
>>
>>53242959
>wife's son
C U C K
U
C
K
>>
>>53237937
Linux because you will not be getting a girlfriend anyways and you are too uncomfortable with your sexuallity to be with a trap.
>>
>>53243414
>has more software than Mac OS
I'd hope Windows has more available software than an OS that died in the 90s.
>>
>>53243456
Hello, newfriend.
>>
Purely subjective
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.