[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /g/ think of dwarf fortress from a technical standpoint?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5
What does /g/ think of dwarf fortress from a technical standpoint?
>>
impressive but poorly implemented. would like to see a fully distributed version
>>
Pretty neat, although it's performance is terrible.
>>
>>53232802
Tarn is one of us. He's an autist with a PhD in Math from Stanford. Read the NYtimes article OP. Pretty cool game.
>>
>>53232802
is it free?
take that scum off of /g/
>>
NEEDS
MULTITHREADING
>>
>>53232802
I've never played it, but I dislike it anyway.
>>
>>53232802
It is really fucking cool, in terms of scope it's the most complex and detailed game I've ever seen.

Tarn spends pretty much all his free time working on it, the devlog has been updated weekly for years, he's an honest genius and clearly loves his work and it really has paid off.
>>
>>53232802
proprietary spyware
>>
File: Nomclothing.gif (106 KB, 900x469) Image search: [Google]
Nomclothing.gif
106 KB, 900x469
>>53233086
>in terms of scope it's the most complex and detailed game I've ever seen

What about Ultima Ratio Regum? It's shaping up to be just as detailed, if not more so. Completely procedurally generated.
>>
Nothing. It doesn't run on OpenBSD. Neither does ADOM.
My rules for roguelike stuff:
- open source
- there has to be a way to run in text-only terminal (tiles optional)
>>
His other game Liberal Crime Squad is kinda fun too, though not comparable in scope
>>
>>53232802
>>53233073
>>53233129
I'm pretty sure the only reason he doesn't FOSS DF is because it's a huge monolith of disgusting code only readable by him. The source-code probably looks like something out of a Lovecraftian nightmare.
>>
File: 1365208588533.jpg (17 KB, 296x376) Image search: [Google]
1365208588533.jpg
17 KB, 296x376
Recent bugfix for Dwarf Fortress:

>Stopped cats from dying of alcohol poisoning after walking over damp tavern floors and cleaning themselves (reduced effect)
>>
>>53233149
DF isn't a roguelike
>>
>>53234321
That has just convinced me to play this game. Where do I start?
>>
>>53234253
I always wonder about these things. The DoomRL guy said some years ago he would open source it when it reaches version 1.0 state. But then relelases start going to 0.9 -> 0.9.9 -> 0.9.9.x, and at some point he'll have to either just dump all the code or go back on his earlier statement.
The ADOM guy apparently just doesn't want it forked. He uses Angband as a reason for "too many forks is bad", but in reality only a few of those forks really got much attention.
>>
>>53235476
Download the game, generate a world, stare blankly at the interface, and watch an extensive tutorial on Youtube.
>>
>>53235522
>But then relelases start going to 0.9 -> 0.9.9 -> 0.9.9.x
Why wouldn't he just go to 0.10.0? Version 1.0 is reserved for when the game is feature-complete.
>>
>>53233017
Yes - Arch even has it in the standard repositories.
>>
>>53232802
It runs like shit
>>
>>53235476
the wiki is your friend
>>
>>53235524
underrated post
>>
>>53235476
sudo pacman -S dwarffortress
>>
>>53235476
>>53235590
sudo emerge dwarf-fortress
>>
>>53232802
>Ultima Ratio Regum
Ultima Ratio Regnum
>>
>>53235522
>The ADOM guy apparently just doesn't want it forked.
I though it was because people harassed the fuck out of him?
>>
toady doesn't even use version control, won't bother attempting to parallelize the game, and uses reddit

he gets paid to do this too, fuck him
>>
>>53234413
The adventure mode is
>>
File: robotfindskittenfull.gif (3 KB, 804x454) Image search: [Google]
robotfindskittenfull.gif
3 KB, 804x454
>>53235524
Maybe best to start with an easier game...
>>
It has a good content but performance is shitty beyond reasoning.

if it was open source, it would be probably a very popular game with the addition of easier GUI, better graphics etc. Toady is probably shamed of his own code.
>>
>>53235615
Probalby they just wanted a native version to run on their OS? The game has been around since the 90's and there has been hundreds of different OS and releases thereof in that time. Games like Nethack and Angband run on all of them, others like ADOM don't.
Anyway it's his choice. But I got plenty of open source alternatives to keep me busy. I'll never get to play and win them all as it is.
>>
>>53235698
there are many GUI mods...
>>
>>53235698
>Toady is probably shamed of his own code.
Given that he's okay with very extensive modifications with his game this is probably the case. He's a mathematician, not a programmer, so it's probably gruesome.
>>
>>53235711
ADOM runs on Linux, BSD and OSX.

If you really want to play it on a mobile device just fucking use a telnet client.
>>
>>53235766
Hack had a GBA port. Did ADOM?
>>
>>53235739
are you talking about tilesets? I haven't played for a while, is GUI moddable now, I doubt it is.

I am talking about user interface, not the tiles. when it switched to new military GUI for example, I was like "what the hell".
>>
>>53235755
he is programming for how many years now? I doubt being a mathematician is an excuse now. he is probably very close minded about programming.
>>
File: 1450034554015.jpg (12 KB, 403x360) Image search: [Google]
1450034554015.jpg
12 KB, 403x360
>>53235772
Can the gameboy run DOS?
>>
You can't just release a game open source... It would be like letting any retard throw paint at the mona lisa.

Open source is fine for programs that are simple tools, but artists like toady has a vision that shouldn't be interfered with by just anyone. Open source games always fuck themselves up, just look at dungeon crawl, you have to play like version 0.8 to get a decent game.
>>
>>53235815
Not natively.
>>
>>53235824
Nethack has been FLOSS for decades and is still more or less maintained only by the developers.

There's a difference between open-source and community-developed.
>>
>>53232802
Pfffff
>>
>>53235772
I can even play Hack on my Nintendo DS Lite. It kept me company when I was camping for several months. :->

NDS also has ports of Rogue, Nethack, Slash'Em, Angband, Crawl, POWDER.

Anyway my laptop runs OpenBSD. But my point was that in the past 20 years there have been 100's of OS/version combination in use on "desktop" machines. If this guy wants to limit his user base, that's his right. I'm not gonna jump through hoops to play a game though. There's enough in BSD ports system as it is.
>>
>>53235824
Stonesoup is far better game imho. It runs on many platforms, there are web ports, mobile ports and everything. Because it is opensource.
>>
>>53235855
>Nethack has been FLOSS for decades and is still more or less maintained only by the developers.
That's pretty much 90% of FLOSS, half the shit your system depends on is maintained by a couple of guys in their free time.
>>
>>53235824
All games from id software up until doom 3 (up until carmack was still part of the dev team) are opensource.

So piss off really
>>
>>53235901
except that nethack is ported to many other systems and got better guis by other developers. if DF got the same treatment, it would be amazing.
>>
>>53235824
What? Making a game open source would be like giving everyone copies of the Mona Lisa, but you still have the original and you control what changes get approved. Who the fuck cares what paint that random retard is throwing at his copy of the painting?
>>
>>53235940
It wouldn't get the same treatment, Dwarf Fortress is a much more complicated game written by a non-programmer.

See: Incursion
>>
>>53235920
They weren't from the start. They were made open source long after they were originally released, and development on them stopped.

Toady is still developing his game and he relies on the donations from it to continue doing it. If he released it as open source, he might lose that money, and thus be unable to develop it anymore.
>>
>>53235979
I am not so sure. people are writing tools for DF that works with memory editors. they are pretty enthusiastic. if it was open source, surely people would work on it no matter how bad code is.
>>
>>53236052
people should probably say "fuck you toady" at some point. I really apprerciate his work and commitment. DF is an amazing game but I get a little sad after waiting a year or more and getting things like mine cart in return.
>>
>>53233017
Doesn't cost a thing
>>
>>53236119
I think he's said that if sometime in the future he doesn't get a sustainable amount of donations or if he doesn't wanna work on it anymore, he'd release it as open source.

In general I think he's doing it like this because it's his livelyhood, it's what he makes a living doing.
>>
>>53236221
that is probably not gonna happen since toady is a god for his fans.

he also said game will open source if he dies and it is not murder. we should probably murder him and make it look like an accident
>>
Probably the only game in existence that bottlenecks on RAM latency instead of the cpu/gpu.
>>
>>53236275
it does? I always thought AI would be the bottleneck, since it gets unplayable above a certain population
>>
>>53236310
You have an AI chip on your computer that's being bottlenecked?
>>
>>53236342
yes. it is called "CPU", it is used for calculating AI behaviour, among some other things.
>>
>>53236379
So the CPU is the bottleneck. Not the AI.
>>
>>53236399
The bottleneck of a program is whatever computations make up the critical path.
>>
>>53236399
and the reason is AI. It is quite probably that only small part of the program causes the bottle neck.
>>
>>53236399
>being this autistic
>>
>>53232802
Wish it didnt have to be ascii or shitty graphic tile sets
>>
>>53236275
Just get yourself an SGI Octane 2 then.
Oh wait, there's prbably no IRIX port of this game...
>>
>>53236421
>>53236433
If you use a more powerful CPU then this is resolved. Bottlenecks aren't code. Bottlenecks are hardware. Would you complain that NFS is the bottleneck for a file transfer when you're using Wireless-B?
>>
>>53236522
Poorly written code can be a bottleneck you mongloid. If it's only written to use one CPU core and there are multiple cores available, then it's not the CPU being the bottleneck, it's the code.
>>
>>53236504

What would you rather have? An example perhaps?
>>
>>53236522
no, bottlenecks are bottlenecks. it is part of a system that holds other parts back.

when it comes to hardware, you can say "my pc is great but I have only 4 gb ram and it bottlenecks it". For applications it about part of the of program. you don't say "DF is slow because CPU is bottlnecking. I better buy a new one", you say "AI is bottlneecking, we should improve it". your entire program feels slow because one part of your program is slow.
>>
while(1);

CPU is the bottleneck guys. my app is great, you just need better CPUs.
>>
>>53236310
Pathfinding and interactions need to read tilemap data.
There are also tile and monster temps, liquids, and other cellular automata.
These are simple calculations but there are alot of them happening every frame, and you can only fit so much in the cpu cache.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.