[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What program do you use to generate your passwords?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: macindows.jpg (223 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
macindows.jpg
223 KB, 720x405
What program do you use to generate your passwords?
>>
>>53230881
KeychainAccess
>>
>>53230881
brain.dll
>>
passwordgenerator.mo3.exe.tiff.tar.bz
>>
>>53231024
this

same used since the first release of common sense

just werks
>>
Keepassx
>>
Drumming my fingers on the home row.
>>
KeePass2 coz it's storing it or if I need to generate password on another machine random.org, coz muh true randomness.
>>
>>53230881
autism.exe
>>
libressl.exe rand -base64 12
>>
>>53231024
>.dll
you run propetary software on yourself?
>>
>>53230881
>program
Statements containing stats are the best

YeeHaww!cowboys3-12#FUCKYOUAUSTIN
That will take ~50000 years to crack
>>
>>53231111
>That will take ~50000 years to crack
But you just told us what it is.
>>
>>53231111
>That will take ~50000 years to crack
Not anymore.
>>
>>53230881
type random shit in a .txt file, memorize it, rm the .txt file, use it as password
>>
>>53230881
`pass` and the companion app "Password Store".
>>
>>53231098
>implying your brain is a free software
>>
>>53230881
/dev/urandom tr -dc _A-Z-a-z-0-9 | head -c6
>>
I use whatever is in my head because I know nobody will guess it.
>>
pwgen
>>
[first name]1234
>>
File: password_strength.png (91 KB, 740x601) Image search: [Google]
password_strength.png
91 KB, 740x601
I choose a few random words in a sentence-like structure, like "green ideas sleep furiously".
Easy to remember, hard to crack.
>>
>>53230881
< /dev/urandom tr -dc '!-}' | head -c48

You can use this in any Linux terminal or in MinGW/Cygwin. Change the number in the end to reduce or increase the length of the password.

Though, keep in mind that not all web platforms support special characters in your password (very few as far as I've seen support them).

You can use a simplified version of the same script:
< /dev/urandom tr -dc A-Za-z0-9 | head -c24

This is even more dumbed down (no caps):
< /dev/urandom tr -dc 'a-z0-9' | head -c16

Urandom is pretty secure by the way:
https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/3936/is-a-rand-from-dev-urandom-secure-for-a-login-key
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random
>>
>>53232438
thats 4 bits buddy you dun goofed. and you actually posted the meme.
>>
PASword<>3141592[my birthday]
>>
date|md5sum|sha512sum|cut -c-16|sha1sum|cut -c-30
>>
File: 1452082744597.jpg (81 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1452082744597.jpg
81 KB, 720x720
md5(nameofsite+samepasswordIuseverywhere+randomstringsavedinafilealongwithwebsitename)
>>
>>53230881
>using pseudo-random generators
>>
>>53231098
LOL, thank you for replying and the chuckle.
and it gets better
>>53231788
>>
>>53231788
>not getting your brain personally examined by RMS for any nonfree software
Pleb.
>>
Is it okay to use the same password on most of your accounts? How much time would it need to crack 12 letters with upper and lowercase and 4 numbers/symbols?
>>
echo "**********************************************"
echo "OpenSSL 32 character base64"
echo
openssl rand -base64 32
echo

echo
cat /dev/urandom| tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9-_!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:<>?='|fold -w 23 | head -n 1| grep -i '[!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:<>?=]'
echo

echo
cat /dev/urandom| tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9-_!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:<>?='|fold -w 23 | head -n 1| grep -i '[!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:?=]'
echo

echo
cat /dev/urandom| tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9-_!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:<>?='|fold -w 31 | head -n 1| grep -i '[!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:<>?=]'
echo

echo
cat /dev/urandom| tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9-_!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:<>?='|fold -w 31 | head -n 1| grep -i '[!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:?=]'
echo

echo
cat /dev/urandom| tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9-_!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:<>?='|fold -w 15 | head -n 1| grep -i '[!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:<>?=]'
echo

echo
cat /dev/urandom| tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9-_!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:<>?='|fold -w 15 | head -n 1| grep -i '[!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:?=]'
echo

echo
cat /dev/urandom| tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9-_!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:<>?='|fold -w 12 | head -n 1| grep -i '[!@#$%^&*()_+{}|:<>?=]'
echo

Then I just pick what looks prettier or more annoying.
>>
>>53232708
>How much time would it need to crack
the issue is not how much time it takes to crack, but if for example a plebsite is compromised and is storing your password in plain text,
the hacker could try it with other websites and will succeed because it's the same password.
>>
>>53232708
If it's hashed with md5 it would take 22 thousand years with a 60k budget for cracking hardware (1 Thash/sec), approximately and assuming no collision is found earlier.
But as >>53232771 said, it's useless if it's discovered only once.
>>
>>53230881
Keepass.
I would say "pwgen", but it may be not installed on a target machine and Keepass is always installed on my PC.
>>
>>53231276
>>53231925
This
>>
I usually google "Top ten passwords" and pick one of those. They must be pretty good if they're that popular.
>>
>>53232852
This
>>
>>53232871
9/10
Chuckled
>>
>>53231788
Did you pay for your brain?
Checkmate.
>>
diceware.com
>>
>>53232909
do you have root access ?
checkmate
>>
>>53232871
nice joke. I thought it was funny.
>>
>>53232871
NIIICEEE
>>
>>53232909
want to fork it
post source code ples
>>
File: _pile_of_--277890.jpg (19 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
_pile_of_--277890.jpg
19 KB, 500x375
>>53232871
massive lool
>>
>>53232708
>Is it okay to use the same password on most of your accounts?
No. I did that mistake when I was playing on WoW private servers for the first time a while back, I lost a Yahoo account because of that.
>>
>>53232871
Arhcive this shit!!
>>
pwgen 32 1
>>
>>53232936
I sure do bro. Stop being a brainlet
>>
>>53233030
Description : pwgen generates random, meaningless but pronounceable passwords. These
: passwords contain either only lowercase letters, or upper and lower case, or
: upper case, lower case and numeric digits. Upper case letters and numeric
: digits are placed in a way that eases memorizing the password.

>contain either only lowercase letters, or upper and lower case, or
>: upper case, lower case and numeric digits. Upper case letters and numeric digits

Literally junk
>>
>>53231071
this
>>
>>53230881
I just write random letters numbers and symbols on a piece of paper. For some reason I have trouble just typing the shit in.
>>
I don't use programs.
I found numbers and serials on things like I'D cards, guns etc - things that usually have some importance - to work pretty well and easy to remember or go check if I forget. Add a suffix or prefix if you need.
>>
>>53232909
>creators pay for the software they've made

Is this what freetards think?
>>
count=1
if [ $# -eq 2 ];then
count=$2
fi
cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc [:print:] | fold -w $1 | head -n $count

I save this script somewhere in path and name it password.sh. If I encounter a site that has shitty password requirements, I replace [:print:] as necessary.

For those who don't read bash: the script checks if there are 1 or 2 arguments passed in, and if it's 2, it stores the second argument in a variable "count", otherwise count is 1. Bytes from /dev/urandom (a non-blocking entropy pool) are passed into tr, which is set up so it deletes every non-printable character. The output of this is line wrapped to the first argument of the script, and "count" lines are printed.

The net effect being that you run "password.sh 20 7" and you get 7 random passwords 20 characters each, and if you run "password.sh 20" you get one.

>>53232472
use [:character:] sets in tr to make it easier to read and maintain

>>53232762
>fold -w 12 | head -n 1|
nigga wtf are you doing

also, same goes for you: character sets exist for a reason. It's like you people don't read man pages or something.
>>
>>53234739
I read manpages, but I don't read manpages of every fucking command found in $PATH
>>
I make my own passwords
>>
>>53234835
How about of the commands you use? Fucking LOL.

protip: when you're damn near typing in every keyboard character as part of your solution, chances are you've gone wrong somewhere.
>>
>>53232762
>>53234739
I'm honestly curious as to how
>>fold -w 12 | head -n 1
happened. What was the process you went through to make this? You read the man pages on fold and found -w, then the man pages on head and found -n, but -c somehow got missed? It didn't occur to you that "hey, if there's a way to read the first n lines from input, then maybe there's a way to read the first n characters?" Or did you just copy and paste the command from somewhere that actually used fold | head, and you didn't bother trying to understand what it was doing, just replaced the variables with the numbers you wanted?
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.