[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This board needs to be renamed to 'consumer shit and muh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
File: googleglassfail1.jpg (27 KB, 500x308) Image search: [Google]
googleglassfail1.jpg
27 KB, 500x308
Anybody else here into actual technology-related hobbies? I'm a ham and the newbieness of this board is just killing me.

We have daily headfoam, chinkpad, bittorrent piracy, home screams from your foam and piecy, threads on programming that don't have any Forth, Smalltalk, Lisp, or APL / J...

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? ARE YOU ALL CHINKS AND POO IN LOOS?
>>
But my gaming piecy!
>>
>>53196792
>Chinks
>POO in Loos

Naw, those people are all out working jobs because for them IT isn't a hobby but a career path.

/g/ is full of white kids who's parents give them money to generously for their own good. Hence all the gaymin threads and gaiz how do I hack BS.
>>
>>53196792
You forgot the metathreads, where we discuss how we're better than everybody else here.
>>
>>53196792
such snowflake syndrome f᠎᠎᠎am
>>
>>53197139
>snowflake syndrome
It's snowflake syndrome to be disappointed in the total lack of tech skills and interest in the deeper workings of technology here?

Pathetic buddy. Go back to your gay ming box and achieve some more achievements.
>>
Agreed, this gamer shit needs to go
>>
I just want to discuss GNU/Linux and my software freedoms
>>
/g/ is 50% consumerist garbage, 40% insubstantial content (desktop threads, memes, low-level discussion) and maybe 5-10% actual interesting posts about things like security, media processing or some anon developing something interesting.

Of course the board would be a lot better if all the noobs left, but at this point it's silly to expect the average quality here to be decent.

Also, I think it's somewhat relevant to remember that by posting here you're submitting IP, timestamps, cookies and referer (I bet barely anyone blocks/spoofs them) to Google and accepting CloudFlare's MITM (look at the SSL certificate). Quite the welcoming environment for technology enthusiasts, huh?

Thankfully, there are still many sites where you can get informed and have in-depth discussion about the topics /g/ covers, which is something you can't say about the more niche boards.
>>
>>53197341
Why do all the gay ming build threads appear here? This shit belongs in a sticky in /v/.

Looking at the front page, it's almost all articles about Chinese-made consumer items that people really love even though they probably don't even work at the company that makes them.

What the fuck people, Thinkpad and Android phone threads belong on Reddit.
>>
>>53196792
>threads on programming that don't have any Forth, Smalltalk, Lisp, or APL / J...

You're free to make a thread about it, friend.

/ilg/ - Irrelevant Languages General
>>
>>53197422
Can somebody help me with my Javascript homework? We're supposed to do a hello world with node.js...
>>
>>53196792
no I just want to buy the right thing, buyer's remorse has led me down this path
>>
>>53196792
And here we are, contributing to your shitpost.
>>
>>53196792
I moved to /tech/ as soon as it was up because of this but it has now been infected by normies as well. /g/ is worse but there is no good tech discussion anymore in any image board.
>>
/v/fags would have been at the Chucky Cheese while I was at the Homebrew Computer Club meetings.

Pathetic.
>>
shitposting is the only constant on this earth.

no matter where you go, there will be shitposting.
>>
File: 1451679403796.png (249 KB, 1213x1483) Image search: [Google]
1451679403796.png
249 KB, 1213x1483
>>53197504
At least there's reddit
>>
>>53196792
>Forth, Smalltalk, Lisp, or APL (oxford coma: confirmed for pleb)
What decade do you think this is?

Sage goes in the options field
>>
>>53197057
>white kids
:^) ..youth of the caucasian persuasion?
>>
>>53197445
That wouldn't happen in your thread because people actually use JavaScript.
>>
>>53196792
>he doesnt post on r/pcmasterrace
LOL, found the peasant
>>
>>53197629
>people actually use JavaScript
Yes, people have become so retarded that they're actually making whole applications more or less in Javascript.

People who use Javascript should be killed, they're the Flash 'programmers' of this decade.

Kids these days come out with a 'computer science' degree and don't even know assembly. You're probably one of these pathetic youngsters.
>>
>>53197676
it's time to change your diapers grandpa
>>
>>53197601
>What decade do you think this is?
The decade of Ebonics as a computer programming language.

Rust, Go, JS, Ruby, Python, C++, loser pleb languages for replaceable wheel-cogs in a machine that shits out buggy software.
>>
>>53197676
Dumb luddite
>>
>>53197758
>luddite
Actually that's what you are. You think poking at a touchscreen and plugging a few cards into a motherboard makes you a tech geek?

It's about as tech geeky as buying a digital watch in 1995. Wow, look at all this technology!

Now what's even more disturbing is the lack of knowledge even among so-called Computer Scientists. Working a couple programming languages and being able to install Linux puts you into the 90th percentile with this group, at least any of them that have graduated since about 1993 or so.
>>
>>53197676
>Yes, people have become so retarded that they're actually making whole applications more or less in Javascript.

That's because its a really good language, you say you want to talk about Lisp and Smalltalk, Javascript has more in common with those languages than it does with Java. You should actually try learning it.

>Kids these days come out with a 'computer science' degree and don't even know assembly. You're probably one of these pathetic youngsters

Actually its the opposite. They come out knowing the principals behind assembly, but with no practical programming skills that are actually useful to employers. That's why coding interviews are a major convention in the industry, because there's simply no way to tell whether an applicant is going to be useful or not based on whether they have a degree.

But really, there's no reason for an applications programmer to be exposed to minutae like assembly and threading. That's what an operating system is supposed to be for. And programming applications is interesting because I make things that people use and things that make money, in a field which is evolving and changing rapidly. If you want to faff around around with low-level details that haven't changed since the 1970s, then that's fine too, as a hobby.
>>
>>53197948
>You should actually try learning it.
I haven't the desire to learn it, I don't want to make web pages or incredibly slow desktop applications. I realize that it's not awful by itself, but that bad programmers make bad choices with it and even though our machines and the engines are getting faster all the time, it's not quite enough to compensate.

> They come out knowing the principals behind assembly, but with no practical programming skills that are actually useful to employers.

Assembly's like riding a bike. You might know the principles behind it but that doesn't mean you can do it. However I will take issue - programmers these days come out with Java and Python and Visual C++ skills, because that's what employers want and 'business' people run the colleges now.

>But really, there's no reason for an applications programmer to be exposed to minutae like assembly and threading. That's what an operating system is supposed to be for. And programming applications is interesting because I make things that people use and things that make money, in a field which is evolving and changing rapidly. If you want to faff around around with low-level details that haven't changed since the 1970s, then that's fine too, as a hobby.

I hear ya, I really do, but a programmer who can do C, C++, and Java is a 100% completely replaceable cog in a machine at this point. Embedded programming (real ones, not Linux on a full-power computer without a keyboard and monitor) is something that most CS grads will never be able to do. You really want a hobbyist for this type of work, they probably actually know what they are doing.

I worked on a helicopter project a while back, and finding another person who could into 8051 was almost impossible, they all already had jobs! We had endless applicants who claimed they could do the job but I'm sure they weren't expecting a sitdown with a couple people who actually knew what they were doing as part of the hiring process.
>>
I like how we have to have the plc/pac thread in /diy because /g is so consumer and EYE TEE centric you literally cannot discuss anything which is not a 'computer' unless its headphones or some shit like that.

never mind pac's literally are computers, you would have to actually understand electronics, systems controls, pneumatics, electrical distribution etc to actually do anything with them so they are not /g approved.
>>
>>53198282

tl:dr this board should be renamed MUH COMPOOTER not technology.
>>
The underage definitely shows. I miss the occasional threads where we discuss possibility of future technologies and its forseeable impsct.
>>
>>53197855
>Rust, Go, JS, Ruby, Python, C++, loser pleb languages for replaceable wheel-cogs in a machine that shits out buggy software.

Have you ever actually used any of these "pleb" languages? Have you ever used APL or lisp? I don't know how far up your arse your head has been for the past few decades but software has always been buggy and shit but the languages it's written in is constantly improving as we better understand the problems we are trying to solve. There is a reason nobody uses Smaltalk anymore.

I don't think I have ever seen anybody on this board use geek as anything but derogatory and only a handful of newfriends use the term "tech" usually in threads complaining that there is not enough of it on this board.

>ludite
>I want to focus on old, dead languages, stale concepts and solved problems everything new is a meme. These pesky idiots who want to talk about things that are relevant and new, explore the latest languages and write software that was inconceivable 5 years ago keep tearing my blinkers off. "hack the plannet" 4m 1 81g47 ?
>>
>>53198320
>MUH COMPOOTER not technology
No it should be named Consumer Goods and Entry Level Programming Languages and Gaymer Builds.
>>
>>53198193
>Assembly's like riding a bike. You might know the principles behind it but that doesn't mean you can do it. However I will take issue - programmers these days come out with Java and Python and Visual C++ skills, because that's what employers want and 'business' people run the colleges now.

Most of them come out not knowing how to reverse an array. Its quite shocking.

>I worked on a helicopter project a while back, and finding another person who could into 8051 was almost impossible, they all already had jobs!

This happens with programmers of higher languages too, even Java. There's an enormous skills deficit in all areas of programming, but I imagine that embedded and assembly is very hard to find.

I heard NASA was looking for someone who knows FORTRAN so that they can continue communicating with Voyager after the original guys retire.
>>
Instead of bitching make threads for the topics you want to discuss. It's that easy.
>>
>>53198193
>I realize that it's not awful by itself, but that bad programmers make bad choices with it

Ugh. Are you 17?

This is exactly the sort of retarded argument that Linus used when asked why the kernel isn't in C++. He couldn't just argue the technical reasons (of which there are plenty), he had to go the techno-religion route of "hurr dem C++ programmers are all so dum".

So tired of this fucking bullshit. Base your argument for or against technology in objective facts, not your retarded opinions about what you think of the people in other camps.

Jesus fucking Christ, can we move on from techno-tribalism?

By the way, VBA programmers are the highest paid per hour. Talk shit about macro hackers all you want, they're raking it in.
>>
>>53196792
This board should be renamed to AMD Astroturfing's HQ you mean.
>>
>>53197601
Lisp is basically mathematics. Mathematics is timeless. Lisp, is basically timeless.
>>
>>53198350
>software has always been buggy and shit but the languages it's written in is constantly improving as we better understand the problems we are trying to solve.

Not GP, but C++ rose to power solely because of the slow machines of the day.

Now that machines are more than fast enough for most software, languages are back on track with evolving and improving.
>>
>>53197094
/g/ is better than no one.
>>
>>53196792
hello friend! join us at the desktop threads, the pinnacle of technology discussion happens there!! be sure to bring your free as in freedom os along with your animes
>>
>>53196792
>POO IN LOOS
They get mad when they see people talking about GNU/Linux somehow
>>
>>53196792
>ARE YOU ALL CHINKS AND POO IN LOOS?
>Complaining about the 1%
>lets insult the work slaves instead.

u wot m8?
>>
>>53198625
>They get mad
Ass-mad, it's so funny. Probably they aren't smart enough to use Linux and their tall poppy syndrome kicks in.
>>
>>53198505
>He couldn't just argue the technical reasons
It's not that he couldn't. He just didn't want to argue with a bunch of children who were angry that the only language they knew wasn't kosher in the kernel.

>VBA programmers
You mean quants. They use VBA as a tool. I think it's great but to suggest that they're "programmers" is misleading.
>>
So does anybody else in here have a technical hobby like ham radio?

How many hams on /g/?
>>
There's not so much gaming PC discussion.

It's desktop stillborn images and apple and iphone and "I Like Cortana because I am a Millenial NEET"

and other shit like haedphones mixed with random anime autism

this place is dead

forgot vaping shills too
>>
>>53199904
>vaping shills
They'll get what's coming to them sooner than later, degenerate fuckers.

>this place is dead
Lots of traffic and some good posters, but mainly poo in loos and chink college freshmen.
>>
>>53196792
no one is stopping you from starting your own threads pertaining to your interests. instead you bitch.
>>
>>53200945
I just did - calling out low-speed weebs and touchscreen millennials was the point of this thread.
>>
>>53202203
>waahhh why are these threads all shit
>better make another shit thread!
>>
>>53196792
/g/ was always consumertard general
>>
Your wntire post is cancer OP
>>
>>53197057
Out working in the IT equivalent of being a janitor.
>>
>>53197057
>generalizing
>literally describes /v/
Maybe pay attention to threads that AREN'T shit, but judging by your post it's way easier to shitpost
>>
>>53196792
second. I honestly cant agree more.
>>
>>53206654
>Most of /g/
>>
it should really be renamed
>>
/cg/ consumer general, all 'general' threads currently here must stay in /cg/
>>
>>53196792
If this doesn't make more people switch to Linux, alongside Vulkan (given that it succeeds), nothing will.
>>
>>53207794
Replied to the wrong thread...
>>
I can never be sure if /g/ is for all technology or if you're supposed to post in /sci/ if you want to talk about anything that isn't computers or computer accessories.
>>
>>53208097
>talk about anything that isn't computers or computer accessories
Oh for fuck's sake let's not for a change.

Or if we do let's talk about how HP's fantastic memristor Machine ended up being a ramdisk flop, or something.
>>
>>53196792
Everybody here who does like those things stopped making threads about them because the battlestation, homescreen, desktop, and other cancerous threads just push them to page 10
>>
>>53197391
Me too.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.