[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2015 MacBook
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: macbook.jpg (129 KB, 1279x727) Image search: [Google]
macbook.jpg
129 KB, 1279x727
Should I sell my desktop and buy a skylake MacBook when they come out, /g/? I don't play games, or do any serious video editing. Those of you with this laptop, is it enough? Also, how is Linux performance and battery life?
>>
get a think pad instead
>>
>>53183249
Already have an X220 but I don't want to look like a pedo.
>>
thinkpad t420 and spend the rest on a christian conversion camp for the bicurious
>>
>>53183281
Shower and haircut would do more than a Macbook.
>>
dumbest device ever made
>>
>>53183310
If all you need is basically web browsing in a sexy case, are there any downsides?
>>
>>53183354
A chromebook or a tablet can do the same thing better, plus it isn't ridiculously overpriced
>>
File: balmer.jpg (13 KB, 211x197) Image search: [Google]
balmer.jpg
13 KB, 211x197
>>53183227
>sell my desktop and buy a skylake MacBook
>>
>>53184283
No they can't.
Chromebooks except the Pixel have shitty screens, and the Pixel costs just as much.
Tablets are just shit in general.
>>
Don't get one, you'll be associated with homosexuals. I sold my 2013 macbook and got an XPS instead.
>>
>>53184306
I wonder what your credit score looks like since you can't seem to have the restraint to resist blowing your money on some useless flashy gimmick. Fucking millennials.
>>
>>53183227
Why would you put Linux on it? It's already running BSD. Most Linux software is available. With Linux on a Mac you just end up with horrible battery life and bad hardware support. If you want Linux get a Pixel 2. I got one, running Arch (best supported/documented distro for it).
My wife got a macbook 12, both devices get around 8 hours battery life. The Mac is more portable while the pixel is more powerful.
>>
>>53184306
I can't see pixels even on low DPI monitors, but OSX font rendering is such garbage I somehow see the subpixel smoothing blur despite the Retina display.
Android tablets are shit in general, indeed, but Windows 8.1 tablets have okay(ish) performance and sometimes allow to install Linux.
>>
>>53184317
>tfw I bought a MBA and later turned out to like boys
The meme is real
>>
File: nhcaiq.png (15 KB, 441x186) Image search: [Google]
nhcaiq.png
15 KB, 441x186
>>53184339
Only because you asked so nicely.
>>
>>53184340
Hmmm ok that's kind of what I've heard. I'm just accustomed to Linux and prefer it to any other OS at this point.
>>
>>53184340
The one gripe I have about OS X is its shitty virtualization support and a decent partition manager like fdisk.
>>
>>53184283
I've tried Chromebooks (C720), and it was good for what it was. I just want a overall higher quality machine.
>>
>>53184306
You know what? You're the typical apple customer. Enjoy your new MacBook.
>>
>>53184371
It seems I assumed wrong. Why would you want a MacBook anyways? Is an iPad with a keyboard practically all you need? I'd rather not carry around a bunch of adapters around for when I need to plug in a USB drive.
>>
>>53184434
>I-I'm perfectly fine with 1366x768!
>w-who needs more! Literally placebo!
>>
>>53184391
I'm the same way, I run Linux on my desktop/laptop. Never used a Mac before, and was surprised how similar it was. Most terminal commands are the same, and even the desktop environment is somewhat similar to Gnome/KDE. OSX is Linux if a bunch of people actually got paied to work on it, under proper management. That being said the hardware is overpriced as fuck.
>>
>>53184344
I agree with you that its font rendering is shit. My fellow macfags have to be brain damaged because there's no way in hell it looks better than Linux's rendering, much less Windows's. I have to say though, El Capitan improved it a lot. It's actually readable now, which is a huge leap forward from the blurry mess OS X had before.
>>
>>53183306
Seriously. I was in a college course on motherfucking anime and one of the dudes in it was using a clean, well-maintained IBM X60t as his daily driver laptop. Dude himself was ripped, well-groomed and well-spoken. It was more that he took care of himself and presented himself well more than what kind of fashion statement his laptop makes.
>>
>>53183227
>No usb ports
Why?
>>
>>53184447
Toshiba Chromebook 2 has a 1080p screen.
>>
>>53184496
I'm not a neckbeard, it's just as much as I like my X220, it's not fashionable. If I can get basically the same experience with a MacBook, by selling my unused desktop, I might as well. If not, then I won't.
>>
>>53184684
>>53184496
Also I've never used OSX extensively, but I am comfortable with Linux and Windows, so I feel like it's good experience.
>>
>>53184306
toshiba has a full hd ips chromebook
>>
>>53184524
>>53184709
1080p isn't good at all
>>
>>53184722
Care to explain why?
>>
>>53184752
Just compare it to any 200+ ppi display. It will look much worse.
>>
Literally every laptop in existence is dogshit. As long as you're not some faggot that needs everyone at Starbucks to see him program hello world in python then a desktop is always superior. Fuck laptops and their shitty ass keyboards, and their shitty ass tiny screens, and their shitty ass fucking track pads. FUCK I HATE LAPTOPS.
>>
>>53184775
So it's comparatively bad. I don't see how that makes it bad at all, especially at a price point of $300-$400.

If we're going to argue about what's comparatively good or bad, what about all of the laptops at the same and even higher price points using lower resolution panels? And why is resolution the only thing you care about in a display when things like color accuracy and brightness are just as important if not moreso?
>>
>>53184775
And your 200+ ppi macbooks cost four times as much. Even the lowest end macbook air has a shittier screen and costs more.
>>
>>53184339
Were you born before 1980?
>>
>>53184450
Same opinion. Osx is like the reputable commercial friendly version of Linux. It has all the neckbeard shit and normie shit

Best operating system by far
>>
>>53183227
I own a current gen one and unless you're buying it just for the design or needing something totally silent, I'd suggest passing on it.

Performance-wise, it benches around the same as a 5-6 year old macbook pro. That said, for what I do I haven't had any issues; web dev, office applications, idle day to day bullshit. It's not exactly a slouch nor does it exactly wow me either. It does underclock itself when it starts running hot, which has only happened a weekend ago when it was 90+ and I was watching twitch for a few hours while doing other stuff.

Battery life is ok. Not stellar. Then again to be so thin and light it doesn't have many battery cells in it. I think I've been getting 4-5 hours before really needing to charge.

I don't find the one usb port much of an issue. I simply have very little to plug in to it.

Some people mention the keyboard takes getting used to. It did not for me.

If I had to do it again I would have probably held out for a retina macbook air. Maybe a pro. I don't necessarily need a completely silent machine, however it is nice.
>>
File: Lips.jpg (13 KB, 293x175) Image search: [Google]
Lips.jpg
13 KB, 293x175
>>53184363
>turned out to like boys
>>
File: 1456438077291.jpg (80 KB, 581x628) Image search: [Google]
1456438077291.jpg
80 KB, 581x628
>>53183227
>Should I sell my desktop and eat shit from my hands, /g/?
>>
>>53183354
Yeah, it costs $1300.

I saw a qt3.14 Asus Chromebook C100 in Best Buy the other day, why not give that a look if all you need is web browsan? I nearly fell in love with that thing at first sight, I just have no need for it.
>>
>>53183286
Got one of those myself, best laptop I've honestly owned after I put an SSD in it.
>>
>>53183227
> do any serious video editing.

https://youtu.be/KnapaZYD2cU
>>
Why would you buy a $2000 Tumblr machine?
>>
>>53184447
>I can only use straw-man arguments to support my purchase of apple products.

Yeah, I bet you have a high credit score, and your finances are really stable.
>>
>>53183227
x260

thinkpad retro

xps 15

who knows about the new maCock
>>
moist meme
>>
>>53185758
Holy shit the comment section.
>>
>>53186882
Already have a thinkpad. I was looking at waiting the retro but I feel like I've been there. XPS seems like a MacBook clone.
>>
>>53186942
XPS is a macbook clone but slightly cheaper (maybe?)

It also has windows so it can sync with your ecosystem. The ecosystem you are apparently tearing down.

Yeah fuck wangblows, Mac/Linux is the only choice now.
>>
>>53186972
I use Linux on my X220 for like everything, so there's not much to tear down. How's the trackpad and battery life on the XPS? I feel like if it's slightly worse, the premium on the MacBook is worth it.
>>
>>53187108
Trackpad is a copy of Mac which means it's great.

Overall win 10 doesn't have bad multitasking/WM now but the OS overall is shit still.

Not the expert on OSX though.

Battery life is great mane, its all skylake battery life so it's all good. Whats even better is x260/retro with their 22 hour + battery life, the XPS does suffer some lose from GPU and thinness and shit but still great.

Go to BEST BUY and try it yourself.
>>
>>53187209
X260 has that thinkpad, pedo thing though...
I'd just put Linux on a new thinkpad, which would work fine, but my X220 works well enough already so I don't see a need to upgrade.
Basically I'd want a MacBook to have a thin, light, fashionable laptop that works well enough.
>>
Apple quite literally makes the best laptops and 99.9% of people have no need for a desktop.

Get it anon, don't listen to these weebs pushing chinkpads.
>>
File: worse than acer.jpg (108 KB, 968x351) Image search: [Google]
worse than acer.jpg
108 KB, 968x351
>>53188025
You misspelled worst.
>>
>>53184410
Parallels just werks. Have had it for almost two years, got all the work I needed done and never had to fight the configuration like I did many times with virtual box.
>>
>>53187108
>the premium on the MacBook is worth it.

I wish people would stop spouting this meme.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.