[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ubuntu vs Mint
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
File: Logo_Linux_Mint.png (98 KB, 622x565) Image search: [Google]
Logo_Linux_Mint.png
98 KB, 622x565
I want to install linux for the first time. Which one is better? Right now I'm thinking Mint.
>>
Nice b8 m8
>>
Mint got hacked, use ubuntu or plain debian
>>
>>53162608
>install linux for the first time
>debian
you are fucking retarded
>>
>>53162700
Debian is pretty easy to install
>>
>linsux
>>
Mint is kind of a bastardization. Install Ubuntu MATE 15.10 to get closer to Mint's feel and featureset whilst retaining the more up to date packages of Ubuntu.
>>
>>53162731
for a noob? how the fuck will he even know how to do visudo and add wheel group to allow execution of sudo comamnd?

its fucking pain in the ass to even find ISO

its pain in the ass to even generate repos and without knowing your shit aobut how linux works and trying your luck with google and debian source list generator you are fucked

and lets now start with propietary stuff and trying to get shit working

you are serious autist to recommend old man ancient debian to a beginner.
>>
>>53162608
don't be a idiot... the website hack was only some hours and it's fixed now.

>>53162731
no it is not, not for a newbie. you need to create user on the command line and fiddle with permissions. it's good for servers,>>53162731
not for people who want to get up and going.... Mint or ubuntu (or any buntu like xubuntu, kubuntu, lubuntu or ubuntu gnome) are the only real choices if they want something that works out of the box.

We linux guys hate to help people, if people ask questions they get no help unless they say things like "linux sucks, it's impossible to do ***** , windows is better because it can do it" then everyone comes with answers, but a newb can not expect startup help with debian. but mint/ubuntu is easy for even grandmothders who have never touched a computer
>>
>>53162823
I dont know how long ago you installed Debian the last time but today its nearly as easy as installing Ubuntu
>>
linux mint is the best!
>>
>>53162768
This OP. Get Ubuntu MATE. It's what I use as a complete Linux noob and it's really great. Really easy to use and you get recent packages. Plus you can easily configure the panels to resemble mint.
>>
Mint is literally a botnet
>>
File: pepestache.jpg (9 KB, 250x201) Image search: [Google]
pepestache.jpg
9 KB, 250x201
OP definitely don't install a less user-friendly distro like debian, arch, gentoo, etc.

You'll probably get frustrated and give up and come to the conclusion that linux is for nerds and we wouldn't want that now would we?
>>
>>53162086
I wouldn't bother with Mint, the recent hack is just evidence of their incompetence in certain aspects. Their site still doesn't use https, ffs. Try one of the Ubuntu variants like Ubuntu Mate. Use the live boot to experiment and find what DE do you like the most.
>>
>>53162086
>was in OPs shoes a year ago
>everybody recommended Mint because muh Ubuntu Amazon and NSA botnet
>use Mint + xfce since
>it's a real pleasure using it
now
>everybody is hating on Mint
>Mint is muh botnet now, don't know why
>think of switching to Arch but because I'm a retard I already downloaded Manjaro
>am still unsure whether I should install it or not

For now, I can't recommend anything OP. If you love a fast system with easy customisation, go with xfce as DE.
>>
>>53162950
its literally not

>>53163039
the same has happened to the cia more times
>>
>>53162086
Ubuntu
Ubuntu MATE for a pre-11.04/pre-unity vibe

Mint is a mess and got hacked
Fuck Clem, his shills and the mint defence force
>>
My first Linux OS was Xubuntu. Is that still around?
Xfce is really nice for a beginner.
>>
>>53163074
So what? I wouldn't use a Linux disto maintained by person responsible for the CIA website.
>>
>>53163092
>Mint is a mess and got hacked
the website, which is really just some place they keep it available. the tech the website relies on is not something the mint team developes
>>
>>53163144

That's not really how things work mate.
>>
>>53163144
They use MD5 hashes, HTTP, WordPress, disable some security updates by default... Any of those could have compromised the security of their OS, and it will probably happen again if they don't change their polices.
>>
>>53162086
mint cinnamon.
>>
>>53163249
You mean they use MD5 hashes for checksums? That doesn't really compromise their security though.
>>
>>53163671
Why not? MD5 is vulnerable to collision attacks.
>>
>>53163790
>Why not? MD5 is vulnerable to collision attacks.
So what? The entire point of a checksum is to ensure that the download is valid and wasn't modified in transmission. If someone is able to hack into servers and trojanize the mint downloads, then they can easily change the checksums on the website as well. I don't see how using something like SHA512 helps in this situation. Using http and wordpress is more of a security concern.
>>
Why is no one offering opensuse as an alternative? It's new user friendly, as stable as you want it and just werks like Ubuntu and mint
>>
I actually used Ubuntu Gnome as a start. It was pretty good, okay for what I was doing, and very responsive. I tweaked it generally well. If your are in like highschool, There are many OpenSuse scholarships available, and I heard it was pretty good and very stable.
>>
>>53163671
No, they don't necessarily could easily change the checksum in their site. Someone can hack one of the mirrors and change the ISO.
>>
This
>>53163999
Was supposed to be a reply to this
>>53163895
>>
>>53163999
That's a good point. Although technically every hash function has collisions, maybe they should sign their releases?
>>
>>53162086
If all you're interested in is a professional distro just go with Ubuntu

If you want an unprofessional, backdoored, unstable windows clone that's really more of a toy than an OS, deff go mint all the way
>>
>>53164182
Every hash has collisions, but one of the requisites of a good cryptographic hash is that it should be very hard to find two messages with the same hash and that's not the case with MD5 any more.

And sure, I'd also be good if they could sign their releases.
>>
mint is pretty sweet, and the recent wordpress vulnerability seems to have finally woken Clem up to the need for better security practices in general. just make sure you check your md5, pretty simple... and should be a general practice for any install.
>>
>>53165669
The hackers changed the md5 in the website.
>>
>>53165756

This.

MD5 is deprecated.
>>
>>53162768
Can confirm. Ubuntu mate is a god tier distro and even runs smooth on my d2500.
>>
>>53165756
>>53165773

The latest spins have new md5's they obviously re-verified them. In addition, an update was published to the mint update manager that detects the TSUNAMI botnet and warns the user to reinstall with properly signed ISO's.
>>
>>53162878
Installation is easy, but you still have to configure some shit that someone with no experience on linux would not know how the fuck to do, sure if you have the will you'll be able to do it, but not everyone have the will or the time.
>>
>>53162086
>spyware + loonux
>>
>>53162086
Some ubuntu fork, I like Xubuntu, but because I like XFCE, still all of the forks work the same, what changes is just the DE, nad you can actually change it yourself if you feel like trying another one.
>>
>>53163100
Yeah, I prefer lubuntu though
>>
File: 1418145594326.jpg (45 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1418145594326.jpg
45 KB, 499x499
>website hacked for a few hours
>mint will now forever be memed le haxed botnet linux
>>
File: smile.jpg (24 KB, 496x499) Image search: [Google]
smile.jpg
24 KB, 496x499
>>53165880
Mint IS an ubuntu fork
>>
>>53165912
I meant to say some non-hacked ubuntu fork.
>>
debian is master race
>>
Mint is fine, and definately the most user friendly for a beginner.

Ignore literally everything else in this thread. You are on the worst board to ask that question, everyone will just try to push weird and obscure OS's no one has ever heard of before on you like TempleOS.
>>
>>53166206
>ignore the fact that mint was fucking hacked and is forever marked as insecure and untrustworthy
Sigh.
>>
>>53166217
>sigh
You're literally a moron. That's been discussed at length in this very thread, but you choose to ignore reason.
>>
>>53162878
Installation difficulty largely depends on the machine and what drivers it needs. Especially if those drivers are WiFi drivers.
Configuring it just isn't easy for a new user compared to Ubuntu.
Debian isn't good for a brand new Linux user.
>>
File: hotlinegnu.jpg (62 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
hotlinegnu.jpg
62 KB, 690x460
>>53166055
>2016
>unironically running ded ian
>>
>>53166537
My first distro was ubuntu back in the gnome 2 days.
Went back to windows after a couple of weeks though because games.

Second was ubuntu 11.xx with unity. Not bad at all.

Now I'm running Ubuntu MATE amd fedora E19.
Both are pretty comfy.

>>53166602
He died. You're an insensitive fuck. Here's your (you).

Now fuck off.
>>
>>53166602
that was a pretty good morbid pun
>>
Elementary os is working good for me. Enjoying it and looks good. Others will knock it as osx rip off but fuck them
>>
>>53162843
>don't be a idiot... the website hack was only some hours and it's fixed now.
That's not all that's wrong with Mint, see >>53164436
>>
>>53162086
mint if your pc is not super fast / ypu don't want to use too much resources on the OS itself

openSUSE GNOME if you don't mind the RAM abuse
>>
>>53166926
Ubuntu mate runs faster than mint mate did on my d2500.
Mint is literally shit. Ubuntu is just as easy to use, mint has no reason to exist except for raking in donations from sheep who don't know better. They're making 2k a month minimum.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.