[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest opinions on the Macbook Pro?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 10
File: IMG_8446.jpg (3 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8446.jpg
3 MB, 3888x2592
Okay may mays aside I honestly think it's a great product despite being a little pricey. My situation was "I want an everything computer" meaning I want to bring it to university, play games on it and go travelling. While my only complaints about it was the subpar graphics card and maybe some more USB ports I am overall very happy with this popular product.

>inb4 macfag
>yes i realise there's another macbook thread here but fuck you all right?
>>
>>53135171
Its too expensive.
I can get a core m tablet and install osx to it and onluly spend 200-300$
>>
>>53135188
I got the most expensive one but I was so lucky that I didn't have to pay for it because believe it or not my parents got it for me as a present plus my other computer was breaking bigtime. So I guess as a free gift it was amazing.

So what other computers would you recommend to my situation above or should i just all go in 4 building a PC?
>>
>>53135207
What do you even need to build a computer for?
>>
>>53135255
Ahaha because I'm constantly ridiculed by my brothers who attempt to make fun of me every time they see my computer so the pressure's grooving in......:/
>>
No BS, they're good just overpriced. I wouldn't mind getting one refurbed though
>>
>>53135274
Just get an amd rig then
You already have a macbook
>>
>>53135207
No one cares about your stupid story
>>
>>53135276
if you were to factor out the price they're actually pretty well made LAPTOP computers and the build quality + thinness and stuff is rather nice. It;s just stereotypes exist for a reason with apple and pricing
>>
>>53135299
I know. I'm just trying to justify why I have it
>>
>>53135171
>yes i realise there's another macbook thread here but fuck you all right?
retard
>>
File: 1438194659007.jpg (933 KB, 1662x1553) Image search: [Google]
1438194659007.jpg
933 KB, 1662x1553
>>53135171
I bought an XPS 13 and I can feel the jealous stares of Macbook owners.
>>
>>53135303
I'd honestly get one if it wasn't so expensive.
>>
File: 1440423087252.jpg (48 KB, 600x804) Image search: [Google]
1440423087252.jpg
48 KB, 600x804
>>53135171
No bias against apple, I image and deploy various models of laptops to people all day. The macbook air is good for basic facebook and college shit, and the ipad air is a sweet tablet as far as tablets go.

That being said the macbook pro is way too heavy, gets too hot fo nothing, and is way overpriced. Try a higher end dell XPS, they are the laptop to beat right now for the ability to do all the useful and fun things in a light package. Its what I chose and I get hands on experience with several dozen computer types.

The metal of a mac also scrapes my metal watch strap, and thats a pain in the ass and ruins both things, but is more specific to me.
>>
>>53135332
that tiny bezel screen looks nice as hell but a lot of reviews say the trackpad sucks. Does it? Are there replacement drivers? My Asus laptop comes with the shittiest stock trackpad drivers on the planet, I legitimately rage at how fucking awful the trackpad is, but I can install some Acer for the same hardware and it's magically the trackpad is pretty good
>>
>>53135171
> inb4ing your own post
macfag

As always, OP truly is a faggot.

Anyways, just build an HTPC, then get a screen and a tenkeyless or 66 key and you're good to go.

If you want to use battery power, just use an UPS or something. I can't help you out there: I don't know much about external batteries.

> Honest opinions on the Macbook Pro?
If you want good resale value, go for it. If you care about anything else from your data to looking like a massive fucking faggot; don't.
>>
>>53135171
>We've decided to innovate the power connector

Spoilers for 2016, Apple always innovates...

Always...
>>
>>53135386
That picture is amazing.

Anyway If I do consider to buy an "everything" PC I will consider what you just said and definitely research more. It all really depends on my scenario again
>>
>>53135171
Overpriced netbook. Screen is nice.
>>
>>53135467
interesting setup you got going on there. Will look more into it.
>>
>>53135533
more like overpriced facebook machine amirite
>>
File: 1444395225446.jpg (27 KB, 440x330) Image search: [Google]
1444395225446.jpg
27 KB, 440x330
I feel like they're never going to update the MacBooks and if they eventually get around to it, it's going to suck.

They were at their peak around 2008 when the "Pro" actually meant something. They were workhouse laptops with tons of useful ports and few gimmicks. The original Intel models and late PowerBook models were also the best looking laptops they ever made.

Now their plan is to eliminate more ports with every new release and add some gimmicky trackpad feature. They got rid of the disc drive, yet they continued cutting back on the number of ports even further. No Ethernet, are you kidding me?
>>
It's just a fashion accessory associated with homosexuals now.
>>
>>53135274
buy an e-gpu for your macbook
>>
>>53135171
I have said this before, but I will say it again.

I got the very first Intel version, paid a lot to basically be a beta tester, a very bad time.

Got a second one after very careful planning. For one year it was amazing, did everything I wanted, how I wanted. Then firmware updates and older support drops broke my sweet setup.

At that point I swore never to buy their stuff again!

If you want a powerful well built over price unit for day to day stuff they maybe worth it. But if you are going to drop that kind of money you would do well to look at investing in a real computer.
>>
Honestly, I only see girls or gays use them. If you have one I'm going to assume you are one of those.
>>
>no TrackPoint
>shit trackpad (all are shit, but MacBook-style is especially hard to use, and unfortunately was copied by everyone else)
>no dock port
>no ultrabay or equivalent

The biggest benefit I see is the software that it comes with, and that's not worth putting up with the hardware.
>>
>>53135386
>The metal of a mac also scrapes my metal watch strap, and thats a pain in the ass and ruins both things, but is more specific to me.
As a Pebble Time Steel owner, I appreciate knowing this.
>>
Don't let anti-Apple fags mislead you.
It's a great laptop, really nice screen, good build quality and a pretty fast cpu.

A downside is the Radeon GPU which is pretty inefficient, you should wait for the refresh and hope it has a 950M or something.
>>
>>53136061
Honestly, I would have already bought one if not for the stigma of being labeled as a homosexual.
>>
>>53135171
Very expensive. Not much reason to buy one unless you need it for your job. Great UX if you happen to be one of the few people that mesh with the design philosophy. The UNIX terminal is fantastic, but there isnt a built in package manager, but Homebrew all but solves that.

there's a lot more but I dont have time to list anymore.
>>
>>53135332
It's definitely the machine to beat at the moment
>>53135434
It is shit, the trackpad is awful. That's the one thing Macs have on lock, even the not-glass trackpad in the Air is worlds away better than any trackpad I've ever used. Personally I wish dell put a trackpoint on the XPS13 developer edition I'd have picked one up.
>>53135680
The Air is definitely dead, hasn't had a frame update in years. The ipad pro/standard macbook is taking its place. The Pro is the same as the Pro desktop, it'll never really go away.
>>
>>53136284
Same here about the trackpoint. That and mouse buttons right under the space key. Don't know why only Lenovo builds keyboards like that.
>>
>>53135332

I'm pretty close to buying the XPS but I'm hearing some pretty horrid reports about battery life.

Dell advertises some pretty amazing figures but people seem to be getting less than half of that. What is your experience?
>>
They're made well and last a long time provided you're not a retard. I'm on a Mid-2009 MBP and it's going strong, apart from obvious battery cycle being shorter.

I paid $1800AU for it back then, which means I've paid $275 or so per year for this device. I'm happy with that. I'll put a new battery in it shortly and maybe increase from 4Gb to 8Gb of memory.

It does all I need though, that's the key thing. My workstation in the office does the more technical stuff I need (computational stuff, storing files), so this is for on the go stuff when travelling for work, and night-time internet browsing, word processing and email.

I stayed on 10.6.8, so it's very clean too. Runs quick.
>>
>>53136549

Mid 2012 here. You were smart to keep the OS version low. First major OSX update made sleep go from taking 2-4 seconds to 20 seconds and it never got fixed.

I'll chuck an SSD in it soon and replace the battery since I use it on battery everyday it's noticeably degraded.
>>
Macbook pro 13" Retina is a very nice computer but I have a hard time getting over how shit the keyboard is. Jesus fuck apple it's like typing on a table.
>>
>>53135386
>tfw you have to take your watch off every time because you don't want to scratch your laptop

>>53135796
I had the same 1st gen MBP. Ran at 95-105C under load (flash on youtube...) and the battery went down to 1 minute, thanks Apple. Still managed to sell it for £300 though.

Have had an Air and 13" rMBP since and they're far better these days.
>>
>>53136230
>being this insecure
>>
>>53135299
jelly
>>
>>53136230
How gay do you dress and act that you're worried the laptop will send people over the tipping point?
>>
>>53135171
Macbook pro retina 2015 owner here, pretty solid laptop, never got it too hot except during gaming. SSD benchmarks already dropped from 1500 to 1000 MB/s in only 4 months of use, dunno if it's normal.

Anyway I got it for free from work so I can't complain for the price, but if I had to pay it myself, I'd have gotten an Air.
>>
>>53137191
Yep the battery lasted 30 minutes and the unit overheated constantly forcing shutdowns.

But the real kicker was when the hard drive crashed taking all may important research papers and what apple did next. Like a fool I did not have back up, but was planning to pay for a professional recover service. Well when I took my computer to the apple store as it was under warranty, they switched out my hard drive for free after I proved it was not my fault which took longer then it should have. Asked for my old hard drive back so I could recover the data. They said it had been sent for failure analysis and I could not have it. Told them I had to have that data! Told me they couldn't because I got a new hard drive. Told them they could keep their new drive just give me the old broken one. They said they couldn't because it had been sent off and I got my computer. Told them keep my computer and money, just give me my hard drive, it had been less then 5 minutes so I knew it was still in the building. Argued with them till they just ignored me till closing. Never got my old drive, never found the parts of contract they cited, should have sued.

Sure I was a fool for not backing things up, but I didn't expect it to fail after two months and not have access to my property.
>>
>>53135207
Good god, learn to fucking use commas, you 5th grader.
>>
>>53135171
extremely good for development
used everywhere across enterprises / startups
minimal setup times

99% of the hate is on the price but if you're a developer you shouldn't care cause you're supposed to earn enough to buy 2-3 of these a month.

/g/ = neet students so just think twice on every suggestion
>>
>>53135171
>saying "may may"
kill yourself
>>
>>53135171
Macbook Air and that 2015 Macbook are a meme. Just get a chromebook if you want a facebook machine. Macbook Pro is okay but keep in mind that you have to pay the apple tax (you do avoid the risk of getting a shitty laptop).
>>
>>53136332
HP does it with some of their ProBooks.
>>
The funny thing about laptop manufacturers is that they try to copy apples hardware design. This actually doesn't matter to most people as long as the laptop is good enough and doesn't have major problems. Asus has an extremly shitty naming convention.

>ASUS ZenBook UX303UB
>ASUS ZenBook UX305
>ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501JW

To normies this is just gibberish and the autists just want good configurable base models instead of wading through dozens of laptops that all look the same and only differ in RAM, CPU and shit.
>>
File: JzfKU1T.gif (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
JzfKU1T.gif
1 MB, 640x360
Why does neither the 15" MBP nor the XPS 15 have a numpad? Fucking REEEE
>>
>>53138122
What 15" laptop have you had with a numpad?
>>
They're nothing special, not particularly great even when you ignore the price.

I happen to have the new 15" pro, and as >>53135386 notes, it gets hot as fuck and starts throttling even with netflix and a few youtube tabs open. Metal is an uncomfortable material, always too hot or cold, and slippery as fuck. Keyboard doesn't feel great and has no numpad. No ports.

Screen and touchpad is the only thing that's really great, everything else a <1000 non-apple laptop does better
>>
It's shit.
OP you're responding to the "aesthetics" of it that aren't really that aesthetic, but you've been tricked into thinking is "aesthetic" by their marketing.
>>
>>53138438
Yeah I don't find their looks that appealing. Some Asus I eyeballed last night looked much better.
>>
>>53138122
because numpads fuck up the centering.
buy a numpad
>>
A MacBook is something I would never get over something like say a Panasonic Let's Note, but I would would be very happy if gifted the top specced 15" rMBP.
>>
There are more expensive laptops with worse specs and there are cheaper laptops with better specs.

Buy whatever works for you.
>>
>>53135171
The screen has a good aspect ratio, colour accuracy, resolution
But it is also a mirror
It's a good performer
But it's purposefully made unupgradeable and unserviceable
The chassis looks good
But glowing logos are gaymer-tier vulgar
The OS is better than Windows in everything but software compatibility
But it's by an American company, so you're getting backdoors and funding mass surveillance
>>
>>53138763
>The OS is better than Windows in everything but software compatibility
What the fuck are you smoking?
>>
>>53138941
It doesn't spy on the user, you get bash, it has lots of neat integration with Apple's iOS devices.
Ok hardware compatibility is another area where Windows is leagues better, but the thread is about the macbook pro.
>>
The mid-2012 15" MBP was the last good one they made. It's like they noticed that people were upgrading and decided to fuck everyone on the newer models
>>
>>53138763
>But it is also a mirror
My fav feature, I got a full black image bookmarked in safari just for that.
>>
File: 1420037725860.jpg (72 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1420037725860.jpg
72 KB, 300x300
>>53135386
This. What the fuck.
My 2015 macbook pro gets jet engine fans just from watching a twitch stream, and the expected battery remaining drops down to 3-4 hours.
>>
File: 1408494474180.gif (524 KB, 500x620) Image search: [Google]
1408494474180.gif
524 KB, 500x620
>>53137798
>not always saving your work to the cloud
>>
>>53135332
now thats a talented bird
>>
>>53139388

Mine is fine for prtty much anything that isn't twitch streams. Not sure if it's something fucked with OSX but it's fucking weird how hot it gets. Not even my surface pro 3 gets close to what my macbook produces in heat when watching twitch, and the surface pro is a fucking bitch when it comes to heat.
>>
>>53136284
MacBook Air gets updated about every year. I agree that the regular MacBook could replace it altogether, but there's no guarantee that it's dead yet. The regular MacBook is a massive joke in that Apple has gone way too far with the "NO PORTS" shtick.

I'm really just interested in the MacBook Pro. I would just but one now but I'm not paying full price for a laptop that is exactly the same as when it was released a year ago. This is the longest that the MBP has ever gone without a refresh as far as I'm aware, and I have a feeling that they're going to release a new model soon, but it's going to be months.

I don't understand why they're so secretive anymore. Nobody gives a fuck about Apple events and releases since old man Jobs died. I could understand if they wanted to keep a new product a secret, but I hate how they leave us in the dark regarding their existing laptops and desktops.
>>
>>53135837
>As a Pebble Time Steel owner
fuck off to plebbit with these kind of sentences, faggot
>>
I had a 15" midrange mid-2007 model for a few years. Still love that all silver design. Was a great machine, used it in my first two years of college, mainly for video editing, which it did great (this was when FCP was still good). I even got a new mainboard for free through some class aciton lawsuit against nVidia. And then I dropped it in the tub and had to use a shitty laptop for a while. But I recently got a refurbed 15" late 2011 model and I love it to death. Use it mainly for programming and I love OS X as a development environment. Would definitely recommend the refurb route, although I definitely want to get one with a high-DPI screen sometime in the future.
>>
Currently using a late 2013 rMBP. Absolutely bulletproof system: I don't baby it at all, but it's in the same condition it was the day I got it. If I had a new model I don't think I'd notice any difference: this one does everything I ask it to with zero slowdown or drama. Battery shows almost no capacity loss.

There's really no other laptop that compares. The Macbook (12") form factor is amazing, but I think you'd notice the speed difference (especially throttling in sustained workloads), and it has basically no i/o. With any non-Apple laptop not only are you getting questionable longer-term driver support, and are stuck using buggy Windows/Linux, but I really don't think the engineering is comparable (just look at the inside of a Mac vs. even the most expensive PCs: there is no comparison in the attention to detail).
>>
The charger is really nice.
The touchpad is really good.
The battery life is good.

What kills it for me is three points:
I am not a fan of the screen, I have not seen if it is fixed on the new macbooks, but the old ones have this apple shaped hole in the back. It lets light through, so you can see the apple logo on the other side after a year or two.
The keyboard is not that good for a computer this expensive. I don't like the travel, or the missing keys.
I don't like the aluminum, it feels cold to the touch and my watch scrapes over the laptop when I type, so that is uncomfortable.

I am not a fan of OSX either but this can be changed so I shouldn't note this here.
>>
Bought a mid-2009 when I went to school. It's served me well ever since. Replaced the hard drive for an SSD a couple years ago as well as the optical drive for another solid state. Bumped up the RAM too. 10/10 would buy again.
>>
>>53138763
>But it's by an American company, so you're getting backdoors and funding mass surveillance

Obviously you don't read the news.
>>
Where do mactards get the false impression they're welcome or wanted on /g/ with their blogshit?
>>
>2016
>people still have flash installed on os x
this has to be a troll
>>
>>53139812
>2016
>people still use macshit
this has to be a troll
>>
It's overpriced and the headphone jack is poorly placed......other than that I love my MacBook Pro 13inch 2015 model, the starting prices on all of the MacBook lines should be about 25% less than what they are
>>
>>53139781
Obviously you didn't read Snowden leaks.
Apple is part of PRISM and even if the company doesn't pay taxes, their employees do, so you buying an Apple device aids NSA.
>>
File: 1395188003821.jpg (68 KB, 668x712) Image search: [Google]
1395188003821.jpg
68 KB, 668x712
>>53139739
>manufacture date 2013
>2013
>49 load cycles
>>
>>53137865
Why exactly are they so good for development?
>>
>>53139760
>mfw touching my macbook sitting on my desk in the morning
>>
>>53140127
memes
>>
>MacBook Pro
>Literally the only apple laptop that works as a laptop should

Meaning

>No thermal throttling rendering the computer useless
>No need for stupid adapter unless you want to plug in ONE device that most likely requires an adapter to fit in
>No ass backwards keyboard that's awful to use
>Decent battery

It should be THE macbook. The 'pro' addition is entirely redundant. As an idea it should emphasize something special, but right now it means the computer can do more than just facebook browsing. The pro should translate to excessive computing power, used by actual professionals.

The normal macbook should be called the air, and the air, which is for air heads, should just stop existing before it can function without overheating itself to a halt.
>>
>>53140058
The battery life is ~12 hours. That's ~600 hours on the battery.

I've also taken a couple long trips where it hasn't been turned on for 3-6 months.
>>
Get a Razor Blade 14. A bit pricey, but well worth it. The design is of the machine is an engineering marvel.
>>
>>53140026
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/02/23/467785093/in-debate-over-apple-fbi-dispute-gates-and-zuckerberg-don-t-agree

Apple's refusing to provide the FBI with a back-door into iOS (seems like they might even disregard a court order).

Bill Gates has come out for the government.
>>
/g/ once again proves its autism
>>
>>53140215
I'm not an American. I don't care what the FBI can or can't do.
I care about what the NSA can do. And so Apple being part of PRISM as well as the leaked documents referencing DROPOUTJEEP strongly imply that iOS devices are not secure.
>>
rMBP 15 inch owner here.

Instead of making a thread I'll ask here

Is it worth it to get an eGPU for my Late 2013 rMBP 15 inch or just go with a custom PC? I rather go with the eGPU but if it's better to go with an actual PC for upgradability purposes in the future?

I already have Windows 10 installed on my laptop (Windows 7 was shit with high DPI screens)
>>
>>53140434
If Apple caves in the US they'll have to cave everywhere else.

They're doing what they can technically to make it impossible to comply with government snooping requests. The government is definitely not pleased about them making encryption a part of ever iOS install.

I'm not sure what tinfoil shit you're on about, but there's no advantage in Apple in snooping for the government. There's only commercial risk.
>>
>all these mad poorfags
It's okay, maybe your mommy will buy you a Mac one day.
>>
Eh ignore the fucktards posting pictures of eating shit. They've eaten enough shit after being sat on by faceless companies like IBM, HP etc.

If you are buying an apple product, you are buying something that will not go to waste.
Apple is one of the few companies that actually cares about people's emotions etc. I'm pretty sure they have a policy of never letting a person leave the store upset.

Let's be honest, chances are if you buy a high end laptop £900-1500, it's life expectancy is probably 4 or 5 years. Ive had my MacBook Pro for 5 years now and despite it not being perfect, it's held on well. I still get 8 hours of battery life (17", dual GPU, core i7) and throughout uni I have used it rigprously for graphic designing, CAD simulation, gaming (on a cuckbook?? Kek) and it's had a lot of drops but it's never been an issue. Recently, the AMD GPU started playing up and got screen artefacting that lead to the computer being useless. I went to the apple store looking to spend £400 on a new motherboard. They ran all the diagnostics and it passed all of them but they said they wanted to replace it all anyway. So yeah, they started printing out all the receipts and stuff and I got my credit card out. The person at the genius bar just laughed at me and was like 'you don't have to do that' and was like 'this is covered in the apple recall program, it's free'.

If you just want a laptop to shitpost on /g/ then yeah sure buy a thinkpad, it's probably cheaper but if you want something actually reliable and good all rounder backed with support from apple. Look at the MacBook Pro
>>
>>53140519
>They're doing what they can technically to make it impossible to comply with government snooping requests.
I don't care what their intentions are. Hell, I don't care if they give the FBI that back door. That back door would let them crack phones they have physical access to. I'm fine with the government being able to do that.
What bothers me is mass surveillance. The kind that can happen when all the devices running an OS are configured to servers governed by 1 entity. The kind conducted by NSA - an agency Apple is and has been cooperating with for a long while according to now public documents acknowledged as legitimate not only by tinfoil hat wearers but by the agencies and companies involved.
>>
>mad shit eating windtards ITT
>>
no one cares about your scat fetish dude.
>>
>>53140651
What are you suggesting Apple is doing to help the NSA / spy on people?
>>
>>53140773
They're probably unnecessarily moving the data they have on their users across the US border to make it fair game for capture by the NSA.
They're probably using flawed encryption in that process.
They probably accommodate NSA hardware on their premises like US ISPs/telecoms are known to do.
>>
stop posting pics of normal day to day apple users.
>>
>>53140966
That and the Apple and their employees pay taxes which fund the NSA.
>>
>>53141009
kek
>>
>>53140966
Presumably the real useful information for the NSA or whoever would be to discover your current IP address when your device phones home to iCloud. But really what would you expect when you're logging into any service as a user?

Provided iOS/OSX respects your VPN settings when doing that, I don't see any problem.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.