[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you using Telegram? Just tell me one bad thing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9
File: telgram-comic.jpg (71 KB, 610x416) Image search: [Google]
telgram-comic.jpg
71 KB, 610x416
Why aren't you using Telegram? Just tell me one bad thing about Telegram.

protip: you can't.
>>
>>53132230
But I am using Telegram OP
>>
>>53132248
Richard Stallman bless you
>>
>>53132292
So then this will cleanse my sin of listening to some songs at a party in the .mp3 format?
>>
>Why aren't you using Telegram?
I don't even know what it is
>>
>>53132230
no one else uses it
>>
>>53132319
A secure messaging program with end to end encryption and open source code.
>>
>>53132338
so like irc over ssl?
>>
>>53132345
But much nicer.
>>
File: 1414120116208.jpg (48 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1414120116208.jpg
48 KB, 500x375
>>53132230
>Why aren't you using Telegram?

the people I chat with don't use it, they use WhatsApp which is also free

>inb4 hurr it's owned by mark jewishberg
>inb4 it's not free as in freedums
autismspeaks.tiff

/thread
>>
>>53132230
Signal
>>
>one bad thing
Majority of people i know don't use it
>>
I am, exclusively. There wasn't even an argument with non-normie friends, and the others just installed it alongside whatsapp and found it interesting rather than annoying.
>b-but no one uses it
Congratulations for being so uninteresting to talk to that people won't even spend the one minute needed to install telegram with no additional cost.
>>
It's unsecure. Twitter and Facebook chat is literally more private. Totalitarian regimes use it to find people who talk bad about the regime. For example several hundred people in Egypt have been arrested for things they said on telegram. Al Qaida and Isis have also been warning against it so you know that they have met a lot of trouble from using it. And that also apply to other people. Very few get arrested for stuff they write on Twitter, it is more private and secure.
>>
>>53132542
Way better than telegram which only have placebo security. The only real choice if you want security
>>
I did have it installed it didn't feel as good/nice as Google Hangouts, UI felt like rubbish
>>
>>53132338
Shit for neckbeard lunix cartoon faggots basically.
>>
>>53132230
>Just tell me one bad thing about Telegram.
You have to communicate with a surveillance device to use it.
>>
>>53132230
Nobody I know uses it, let alone enough people to warrant installing it.
>>
>>53132230
Why is this comic in taco speak? I don't know Mexican. This is an English Board, post in English please.
>>
>>53132230
I was going to say adaptive widescreen layout, but they fixed it just now.
>>
I don't have anyone to message
>>
>>53132322
We do use it in Brazil
>inb4 hue hue
>>
>>53132230
Nobody else is using it.
>>
>>53133044
>>53133246
what about russians?
>>
>>53133263
All the ones I know still use Skype, so no.
>>
My whole family and most of my friends use it because stickers and group chats. My gf even uses signal.
But fuck your shilling.
>>
>>53133270
i mean russians in russia?
>>
>>53132345
>>53132374
But does it have a visual basic gui to backtrace the IP?
>>
>>53133304
Well, I only know 1 guy and a chick from Ukraine. Other Russians are ... local.

What makes Telegram better than iMessage?
>>
>>53133270
>All the ones I know still use Skype, so no.
M$ Shill detected.
>>
Iranian authorities have arrested administrators of more than 20 groups on the messaging app Telegram for spreading "immoral content"

http://www.reuters.com/article/iran-rights-socialmedia-idUSL8N13302G20151115

“We keep hearing of the arrest of many brothers and sisters, this is (a) disaster. Don’t join groups!”

http://security-intelligence.org/2015/12/isis-extremists-panicked-by-arrests-of-telegram-users/

"Egypt’s military arrested 150 elements from them in the last operations after monitoring the coordination processes between them in Telegram chat site, Al-Bawaba News reported."

http://www.albawabaeg.com/66794

and so on and so forth... there are many many people who get arrested for things they say on telegram. Use something safer, more private and more secure like facebook chat.
>>
>>53133263
That's great and all but still doesn't change the part where nobody I talk to uses it.
>>
>>53133321
Negro please. Skype and Office are the only Microdick software I use (sans Winshit for gayming).

Skype being one of the most popular messaging apps (not counting whatsapp/kik cancer) is a simple fact.
>>
>>53133317
Telegram is less secure so it is easier to arrest people who say the wrong things.

>>53133270
Skype is more secure anyway
>>
>>53133317
>Favourites
>Channels
>200 member group
>Filesharing with more formats
>Security
>Stickers (you can create WebP images to send as alternative emoji styles)
>>
>>53133404
>telegram
>Security
>>
>>53133379
Jokes on you. I'm already on jail you can't arrest me 2 times
>>
>>53133333
>>
>>53133404
>Channels
As in?

>200 member group
Sounds like cancer.

>Filesharing with more formats
Sure it's nice ... but who needs it?

>Security
>more secure than iMessage
Please.

>Stickers
Sounds sweet.
>>
>>53132230
>Why aren't you using Telegram? Just tell me one bad thing about Telegram.
1. You have to use a phone number to sign up
2. No VOIP
3. No encryption on desktop

Everything else about it is pretty nice, if these issues went away then it would be pretty much perfect
>>
>>53133413
>Implying WhatsApp even using "Signal's security" isn't fuckable with a PirateBay skid app

(2015)
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-security-threats-whatsapp-users-need-know/
>>
>>53133484
still more secure than telegram
>>
>>53133450
>slack
>useful for a department, school group, party
>useful for sharing documents to your coworkers or classmates
>iMessage, implying they're not mitmable http://blog.quarkslab.com/imessage-privacy.html 2013
>indeed they are
>>
>>53132230
Because most of my friend uses WhatsApp
>>
>>53133541
>also has an API for IRC like bots
>>
>>53133513
[citation needed]
>>
>>53132230
I'm using it.
Still:
>unaudited encryption algorithm
>>
>>53132322
>not influential enough to convert the people that matter to him

Not a lot of people use it, but all the people I care do, now.
>>
>>53132230
What if we all audit MTProto and collaboratively win the contest, so that we can donate the money to a colon cancer foundation or something like that?

I mean we could help make it better at least, then after all their security will get hardened
>>
>>53133450
>Apple
>Security
Pick one ami/g/o
>>
>>53132897

Twitter doesn't even push its messaging feature, which is hilarious
>>
>>53132897
More like Facebook gets paid for the info and/or bribes journalists so that it remains unknown

Remember there's nothing more wrong than a false sense of security by obscurity
>>
>>53132230
whats the 4chan group
>>
>>53133565
homosexuals in iran get arrested when using telegram, never heard anyone getting arrested when using whatsapp. telegram users get arrested all the time.
>>
>>53133617
it's way better than telegram... when did you last hear someone got arrested for anything they wrote on imessager? while telegram users get arrested all the time.
>>
>>53132230
AFAIK it has dodgy self-written crypto
>>
>>53132542
Moxie is a faggot though
>>
>>53132542
>>53133926
https://fdroid.eutopia.cz/
>>
>>53133958
Well, thanks, this doesn't change the fact though (about Moxie). Does signal still depend on GApps, or is it possible to replace it?
>>
File: FUD.png (159 KB, 758x409) Image search: [Google]
FUD.png
159 KB, 758x409
>>53133023
>
nice try, faggot
>>
>>53133926
How so?
>>
>telegram
>secure
It breaks the first fucking rule of cryptography: don't roll your own crypto.
And guess what? Homebrew crypto socks balls
>>
>>53133979
Are you dumb? Moxie is a faggot, which is why I posted a link to an actual free and open source fork distributed through F-Droid, without needing google anything.
>>
>>53134017
See: >>53133958
>Moxie Marlinspike apparently doesn't like the idea of independent builds of TextSecure and RedPhone so much, that he started with legal threats on Twitter. Independent builds of TextSecure have been therefore renamed to TextLibre and RedPhone to PhoneLibre.
And he advertises his work as GPL while making legal threats on side channels whoever distributes independent builds. He is fucking confused about copyright licenses and trademark laws. He could go full Firefox about it and it would be fine.
>>
>>53132230
DAILY REMINDER TELEGRAM RUNS BROKEN CRYPTO AND IS NO MORE SECURE THAN FACEBOOK MESSAGES
>>
>>53134030
>without google anything
AFAIK signal still depends on GApps for push notifications (not for installing obviously).
>>
>>53134030
Straight from the link you posted:
>TextSecure still needs Google Play Services (because it uses Google Cloud Messaging), but you don't need Google Account and Google Play cannot silently update app that has been installed outside of Google Play store. Hopefully in the future, it will be possible to use official TextSecure client without Google Play Services (see issue #1000 - Websocket support, unfortunately Moxie also locked this discussion).
>>
>>53134066
Do you know why it needs Google Play Services?
>>
>>53134092
It's written straight there, I can read.
>>
>>53132230
I use it, but I don't like it.
The main thing it had going for it when it released was end-to-end encryption in chats. Since they rolled their own encryption with MTProto people were skeptical of it's strength and it actually has been proven to allow for many attacks until now. See also: https://eprint.iacr.org/2015/1177.pdf
Its business model so far is unsustainable since it relies on it's founder's own money and donations alone.
If Signal had a better desktop client and stickers I could bring all the normies in my contacts to a much better tool, but alas, it sucks in that regard.
>>
>>53134101
Wait wait wait, why does textsecure need Google cloud messaging? Doesn't it send and receive over SMS?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've only used OTR over XMPP for years now.
>>
File: libresignal.png (156 KB, 1080x953) Image search: [Google]
libresignal.png
156 KB, 1080x953
>>53134050
>>53134066
Man, you are fucking stupid. That F-droid repo isn't for the Signal that in the Play store, it's a fork called LibreSignal. You would know that had you actually read the page you're quoting from:
>Latest TextSecure for Android has been merged with RedPhone and is now Signal. Independent builds of Signal have been renamed to LibreSignal.
>Independent builds
>LibreSignal
>>
>>53134137
Yeah, and I still don't argue about being available outside of Google Play, you dense fucking idiot.
Does LibreSignal still need Google Play Services to use Google Cloud Messaging to deliver messages? I suspect to do so since it needs to be compatible with Signal. Fuck, you are dense!
>it's a fork
It's merely a rename.
>>
>telegram
>secure
That's a good one desu senpai
>>
What, another Telegram shill thread?

The crypto is horrifically bad, when it even bothers to use any. Telegram is shit-tier junk: even WhatsApp does it better, for fuck's sake.

For a phone messenger, right now, Signal, Ricochet or GTFO.

For desktop, right now, Ricochet or GTFO.

The new Cryptocat looks vaguely interesting but Nadim cannot into crypto so I don't know if he'll do Axolotl correctly and I'd almost lay money he'll fuck up group chat/OMEMO.

Ricochet is the only one with metadata protection but it isn't really suitable for phones (battery drain) and Tor cannot defend against a global attacker when using low latency circuits; ultimately we need new designs, but that is still an open research problem, same as the last ten times we had this thread.

I'm making progress, but don't kid yourself: I've been working on this for more than a decade already. It is Hard™. There are provably tradeoffs between latency and indistinguishability; the challenge is how to be able to reduce the former as much as possible while retaining the latter against global attackers as much as possible - and make it hard to distinguish which traffic is which. Global active attackers and soft requests for ordering (in distributed systems!) make life especially difficult. Current best IND latency on test network: ~10000ms.
>>
>>53134122
Stickers are coming. Better desktop clients... I wish I had good news for you.

Signal is a phone messenger. It uses phone numbers for IDs. You'd need a different system to do Axolotl well on desktop. Federating the two? Nice, but hard, and a choke point. And then we have the password/UID/fingerprint problem again. (Ugh, please don't say block chain.)

It's a hairball: I'm trying to build ultimately better systems, not hairy ones.
>>
>>53134190
Are you trying to say 10s? Please try to hide the fact you're a dumb american who can't into SI units.
>>
>>53134373
He's right within an order or magnitude. It's surprisingly hard.
>>
File: truth destroyer of threads.png (50 KB, 633x375) Image search: [Google]
truth destroyer of threads.png
50 KB, 633x375
>>53133356
>>53133356
>>53133356
For I have become Truth, destroyer of Threads!!!!
>>
>>53134170
Libresignal vanilla needs Google Play Services to run but there's am experimental build that does not. Read the entire page to the bottom https://fdroid.eutopia.cz/
>>
I am using Telegram, and while it is better than whatsapp, it has problems. It's cryptographic system has been proven to be faulted, and it's servers are not open source or federated, meaning there is a central instance controlling everything (see ISIS ban, while this specific move isn't bad, it shows general potential).

Sadly protocols like XMPP don't match up to modern expectations that everyday users have (multi-device, (relatively) simple setup, (good) mobile clients, …).
>>
>>53132684
>Congratulations for being so uninteresting to talk to that people won't even spend the one minute needed to install telegram with no additional cost.
Oh, shit. So that's why they won't change :(
>>
>>53132292
Telegram is not open software
>>
>>53133356
>Use something safer, more private and more secure like facebook chat
I won't even bother to upload a b8 pic. Here's your >(You)
>>
>caring about privacy
>using a smartphone

Why is /g/ so retarded?
>>
>>53133464
>You have to use a phone number to sign up
So you have on whatsapp. Signal is tied to a jewgle service.

>No VOIP
Good point.

>No encryption on desktop
Secret chats.
>>
>>53133599
Sounds good. I'll start on the logo.
>>
>>53135314
it's not bait... It is honestly safer. There have been thousands of people from homosexuals in Iran to political activists in Egypt that have been arrested due to things they said in Telegram. But when did someone ever get arrested for things they say on facebook chat?

It is objectively true and a fact that Facebook chat literally affords more security and privacy than Telegram. Even if facebook chat hardly have any privacy or security at all. At least there is a slight obstacle for anyone trying to get you if you live in some totalitarian regime. While if you use Telegram then there is no obstacle.

Telegram is shit-tier the lowest communication application available in any electronic form. Even public twitter posts give people more security and in a way more privacy as well. Harder to find someone with a twitter handle than with Telegram.
>>
>>53133356
This is an issue with groups, not with telegram or encryption.
>>53133378
Only because a lot of people use it doesn't mean it's good.
>>
>>53134921
>I can easily tell that he hasn't read a shit about how Telegram works
>>
File: telegraph1[1].jpg (77 KB, 632x444) Image search: [Google]
telegraph1[1].jpg
77 KB, 632x444
>>53132230
Do current phone lines even support morse code for long-distance telegrams?
>>
>>53132230
>current year
>still not in our superior /g/ Telegram group

https://telegram.me/joinchat/CEYFOTxyenho9oElh053OQ
>>
>>53134190
Sadly Ricochet and GTFO are not valid in terms of multi-device chats.
>>
Telegram?!
Please...amateurs.

TorChat.
>>
>>53134373
Not him but usually people tend to talk about latency in ms.
>>
>>53132230
All my friends use Whatsapp. :^(
>>
>>53132409
>free
>>
File: Screenshot_20160223-225509~01.png (78 KB, 719x979) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160223-225509~01.png
78 KB, 719x979
>>53137414
I don't get it. At first, it tells you to pay after one year than suddenly pic related.
>>
>>53133958
Nope. Still needs Google™ Botnet Services™
>>
>>53135429
I may be wrong, but...
From the posts looks like they had a mole, and that's what compromised security.
People was arrested over what they said in a group chat.
And you can add to the chat anybody without a real check on their background.
>>
>>53137019
That's like saying "people usually talk about file sizes in kb". Even though most files are <1000kb, that's bullshit, you adjust the unit to make sense.
>>
File: 1451489361729.jpg (60 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1451489361729.jpg
60 KB, 400x400
>>53136226
>>
>>53137414
>>53137449
it's free now dude.
>>
>>53133070
Kek. The struggles of only knowing one language. Get gud.
>>
>>53138811
>The struggles of only knowing one language
The only things you're sure of are that he knows English and doesn't know Spanish.
>>
>>53133917
This. https://eprint.iacr.org/2015/1177
>>
>>53138847
>https://eprint.iacr.org/2015/1177
>Our main discovery is that the symmetric encryption scheme used in Telegram -- known as MTProto -- is not IND-CCA secure, since it is possible to turn any ciphertext into a different ciphertext that decrypts to the same message.

We stress that this is a theoretical attack on the definition of security and we do not see any way of turning the attack into a full plaintext-recovery attack. At the same time, we see no reason why one should use a less secure encryption scheme when more secure (and at least as efficient) solutions exist.
So it doesn't concern anyone using the service at all?
>>
>>53139206
Yet.
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.