[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How powerful will phones be in 3 years?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7
File: iphone-7-concept-ciccarese.png (338 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
iphone-7-concept-ciccarese.png
338 KB, 770x433
How powerful will phones be in 3 years?
>>
About 3 years more powerful
>>
>>53131731
Quite a bit more powerful than now.
>>
>Octo cores everywhere
>8GB of RAM
>256GB of storage
>graphics on par with PS4
>>
Core M will probably have matured a bit and we'll have x86 processors in phones. Windows Phone will finally be dominant once you can run desktop apps on your phone.
>>
File: s320x240.jpg (18 KB, 320x241) Image search: [Google]
s320x240.jpg
18 KB, 320x241
>>53131854
>Windows Phone will finally be dominant
>>
>>53131854
>Windows Phone will finally be dominant once you can run desktop apps on your phone.

I can only see Windows Phones being successful in the business world.
But for average consumers what purpose will a WinPhone serve us?
>>
We've reached a technological singularity. It is impossible to have more powerful hardware since we have reached the flattest of plateaus
>>
>>53131878

No need for a desktop or tablet anymore. You'd just buy a dock and monitor and plug your phone in.
>>
>>53131887

It kinda feels like the entire planet has stagnated technologically for the past 30 years.
>>
>>53131771
>Octo cores everywhere
>still thermal throttled to Snapdragon 800 speeds while Apple flies away to i7 speeds
>>
>>53131731
less than you think. it's all bout the nanometers
>>
>>53131771
>graphics on par with PS4
can PS4 even push past 1080p?
if not, we're already beyond PS4 graphics
>>
File: YYYUUUUGGE.png (76 KB, 184x165) Image search: [Google]
YYYUUUUGGE.png
76 KB, 184x165
>>53131904
> You'd just buy a dock and monitor and plug your phone in.

Again, that will suit for the business world.

The consumer desktop is going away (except for gaming).
Heck even the desk itself is going away because people just whip out their phone.
>>
>>53131771
This is pretty reasonable.
Mass production of 7nm is a real possibility in 2019-2020 given that 10nm nodes are going to be risk production ready by the end of this year.
ARM themselves see their own Mali GPUs being able to compete with current gen consoles within 2 years, and ARM CPU cores are already capable of outperforming AMD's Jaguar per clock.

As far as storage density goes, 256GB UFS modules are a thing, they're just not hitting consumer devices, even 128GB chips are hard to find despite being in mass production for about a year now. Manufacturers are holding back quite a bit for the sake of keeping product segmentation alive.
>>
File: tumblr_mawas79SMm1r5pmjj.gif (185 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mawas79SMm1r5pmjj.gif
185 KB, 250x188
>>53131940

Jesus Christ how fucking weak is the PS4?
>>
They'll be about as powerful as android will be next year
>>
>>53131771
>>Octo cores everywhere
And Android still lags.
>>
>>53131970
The PS4's APU was originally designed sometime around 2011, and it went into mass production in 2012. Its a low cost, quick time to market, low power consumption part. The APU itself stays within a 100w~ envelope.
The chip itself was very good for the time it was created, it was just never meant to be a real powerhouse, so its not surprising to see bleeding edge mobile tech catching up to it.
>>
>>53132006
>i installed 2000 useless apps and now my phone lags :(
>>
>>53131920
>while Apple flies away to i7 speeds
Apple uses ARM chips, not Intel.
Maybe, if they survive, Winphones will run at i7 speeds.
>>
>>53131970
it's using three- to four-year old tech if that's any indication
AMD tahiti core but cut down from 7870 spec
>>
File: 18-1382093146-formfactor.jpg (26 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
18-1382093146-formfactor.jpg
26 KB, 600x450
>>53132030

Surface Phone is Microsoft's last hope for WinPhones.

It needs to be powerful as fuck.
>>
>>53132044
>that uncomfortable monstrocity
>>
>>53132044

I hope Microsoft releases an x86 Surface phone soon. The mobile phone market has been stagnant lately.
>>
>>53132152

>no apps
>>
File: tfw your first iOS update.webm (2 MB, 198x360) Image search: [Google]
tfw your first iOS update.webm
2 MB, 198x360
>>53131920
>ishit
>speed
lmao
>>
>>53132190

I mostly shitpost on 4chan with my phone, no app can beat Firefox and 4chan x.
>>
>>53132030
Apple uses Intel chips...
>>
Funny how I keep falling for it every time. Ostensibly I have no functionality that I didn't have 5 years ago but I still fork over a shitload of cash every 12-18 months. I feel like a consumerist whore.

A few weeks ago my M8 broke down, so I decided to put CM on my S2. Shit works just fine and I have a spare battery. Shit's so cash. Fuck this whole upgrade cycle.

I went through it with PC's and once that hit a plateau I did the whole song and dance with laptops, and now with phones. Fuck it, I'm not paying anymore.
>>
>>53132198
not even lying when I used my iPod touch a lot I loved this. the sound of all taps being registered at the same time was beautiful
>>
>>53132289

Just wait until AR glasses hits the market.
>>
>>53131731
About half as powerful as right now.
And at least twice as expensive (corrected for inflation).
>>
>>53132280
>Apple uses Intel chips...
Not for phones.
OP's question specifically mentioned phones.
>>
Well assuming intel quits dicking around, very powerful.

Phones in 3 years will most likely have x86 SoCs and be able to boot full desktop OSs natively. No more crippled mobile OSs bullshit.

Thex86 Z3580 Atom on the zenfone 2 already matches ARM krait 400 integer and multi-integer performance on geekbench 3. Not the most accurate cross cpu architecture test I know, but it shows x86 has great potential for phones.
>>
Hopefully ARM will be dead by then.
>>
>>53132785
Just imagine how much more interesting the HP Elite x3 and its mobile extender would have been if it was an x86 phone running a full version of windows instead of the more gimped version of Windows Phone on an ARM processor. Even if it managed to only come out to be netbook performance having your phone and laptop be the same device would be really nice.
>>
>>53131731
More powerful than any iPhone you can picture, OP.
>>
>>53131771
Stupid question: What's the point of even having a phone this powerful? All I do on mine is just text and browse websites on the shitter. I imagine its the same with most people too except with facebook or whatever thrown in.

>inb4 why do we need more than 64MB of RAM?
No really, what apps are so resource intensive that we need phones this powerful? At least with computers I could name a ton of software that requires a decent amount of computing power. With phone shit I can't even think of one thing.
>>
>>53131940
This girl who I'm majorly crushing on's father works on waffer production and I guess they are already producing vertical stacked transistors which is sick.
>>
Amount of retardation in this topic is amazing
>>
If graphene batteries break through then they will be extremely powerful, feature rich, streamlined and essential for every person to have. This isn't just phones, this will be wearables, medical machines, space technology and more.
>>
Does M.2 mean that phones will get pcie?
>>
>>53133501
We need it so android wont lag
>>
>>53133501
Well if you don't use that much on a phone then the phone you would want at that time would be very cheap
>>
>>53133690
Not until lithium-ion has been milked to death
>>
>>53133501
Java opts to sacrifice memory for performance or vice versa depending on how much memory the device has
>>
>>53133780
There will be a cost issue but i don't see how graphene won't change the industry over night.
>>
>>53133963
People have been saying that graphene will change the industry overnight for years now, and I think everyone stopped caring after that 2-year slump where after loads of anticipation, researchers went "w-well this actually doesn't work for traditional desktop CPU's", and the hype was gone
>>
>Stupid question: What's the point of even having a phone this powerful?

Eventually phones will replace all devices for the majority of people, including laptops.

They will be VR devices, personal computers, mobile phones.

All-in-1.
>>
>>53131771

Meanwhile on the iphone:

>833,5p resolution
>1.7GBs ram
>no storage whatsoever, everything is on the iCloud
>phone needs a permanent internet connection to function
>no 3g/4g option
>screen not included
>>
>>53132289

This was my experience with the moto g. As much as I keep wanting to buy higher end phones I simply cannot justify the upgrade whatsoever. I simply can't. And the worst thing is that I fucking KNOW I'm gonna buy some expensive useless shit in the coming months.

Also graphics on gaming have come to a point that there's seriously no difference whatso-fucking-ever between high and ultra. I was playing that new tomb raider game last week and I had to take screenshots and compare them side by side to notice ANY difference between high and ultra. Sometimes even fucking medium has barely any actual difference. When I was gonna give away my old gtx 760 to a friend I put it in to see if everything was ok and I was really surprised with the kind of performance I was getting with it at the cost of some negligible eye candy fluff that makes no difference at all to the experience. But at least there's 4k and VR coming up.
>>
>>53134507
Had my HTC ONE X for 3 years, dropped it and cracked the screen. Insurance payout on $100 USD and I got a GS5. I'm ok with this arrangement.
>>
>>53132308
Where does this meme keep coming from, I've never ever noticed single lag using android. Tried iPhone and if felt exactly same.
>>
>>53134576
I used to get it on my older iphones, usually after a software update (they do it on purpose so you have to upgrade your phone)

I actually like apple for some things, but the fact that they're money grubbing whores who like to fuck over their customers is 2much4me
>>
>>53131923
Yes, but they reduce the resolution in many games in favor of more graphical features. They re-released some ps3 games in 1080p, 60fps
>>
>>53134187
>including laptops
I'm not sure if I'd go that far. I mean, there's something to be said for the usefulness of a laptop's size. I'm definitely looking forward to phones having the power of a laptop though.

I'm also eager to see eventual mobile VR. If they can get it down to the size of goggles or glasses, either for augmented reality or full-on immersion, it will be fucking glorious.
>>
>>53131771
>And battery will still be shit.
>>
>>53133501

That's the point, you use it to browse websites because that's all it can really do aside from playing shit low rate games. If you have the capacity to do more, people will utilize that capacity to build cooler shit.

How insane is it going to be when eventually everyone has a watson-esque device in their pockets, imagine getting to a point where you can construct the universe from its most basic components and press compile and have every particle in the universe accounted for

imagine what that would do for the world you could almost predict the future when you realize that most interactions are just based on the environment plus the personality of the people interacting. Imagine having the computing power to account for all of that.
>>
>>53131771
Yeah battery lasts 10 mins.
>>
>>53131731
I hope they're thick, like chunky phones are trendy.
Need that battery tbqh.
>>
>>53134187
Remember palm pilots?

el oh el
>>
>>53131906

We've gone from the Commodore 64 to Skylake PCs in that time...
>>
Phones start using PowerPC cores again.
>>
>>53132070
>it's ok when apple did it
>>
>>53134109
No it's because we can't synthetically make graphene yet.
>>
>>53131731
Remote charging
>>
>>53132022
Since it's GAPPS you can't even uninstall them without rooting.
>>
>>53131904
Already works on ubuntu phones. It's not as useful as you think.
>>
>>53135792
>ppc
I'd install debian on it.
>>
>>53135911
I'm surprised phones don't charge with momentum like some watches.
>>
>>53133501
Today we have apps with server-client architecture where you ask for certain information and server is doing calculations for you (for ex. interpolation) and send you results. With stronger cpus they could just set http server with data and app on your phone could do calculations.

Pretty comfy if you are doing things that require more compute power.

When you will have i5 in your pocket it will open new possibilites.

They just have to work on power consumtion and temperatures
>>
>more resolution!
>more RAM!
>more apps!
>battery life? who cares
>>
>>53135988
Chinkphones are doing bigger batteries, might want to invest there.
>>
>>53136003
chinkphones are the way forward atm
one of the distinguishing innovative features of the Galaxy S7 is a microSD slot. lol.
>>
>>53135980
Do you think it would make a difference? If you're lucky the charging might be able to keep up with the bare minimum power draw for an idling phone.
>>
>>53134109
No, the issue is creating graphene circuits, which has now been done so proof of concept is out there. Just need to find a way to make it using traditional or otherwise easy to adapt production methods. The proof of concept performed perfectly, too. Used very very little power to transmit a text.
>>
>>53134980
>people will utilize that capacity to build cooler shit
so, mobile game/website devs? they will utilize that capacity, too.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.