[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I saw someone on /g/ talking shit about VirtualBox. Can anyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 2
File: vbox_logo2_gradient.png (30 KB, 140x180) Image search: [Google]
vbox_logo2_gradient.png
30 KB, 140x180
I saw someone on /g/ talking shit about VirtualBox.

Can anyone explain to me exactly what is wrong with this piece of software?
>>
>>53124440
>no gpu passthrough
pretty shit yeah
>>
>>53124456
>gpu passthrough
For what purpose?
Video games? Oh dear.
>>
>>53124440
Glitchy (and proprietary) drivers.
Inferior features compared to alternatives.
Looks like it was designed by fisher price.
>>
What do you all use then?
>>
>>53124478
Being able to gpu accelerate windows only video rendering software.
>>
>>53124496
I use Xen on my home server and KVM+libvirt on my desktop and laptop.
>>
>>53124440
>exactly what is wrong
Oracle
>>
Makes snapshots and its free - its good in my book.
>>
What's the best VM for OS X hosts?
>>
>>53124858
gentoo
>>
>>53124440
It's good for if I want to take a walk down memory lane with my old OSes or if I want to fuck around with Linux distros without fucking up my whole computer. But not much else.
>>
>>53124894
I use it at work to test our sites in a bunch of new and old browsers on various OS.

At least for my use case I can't see how something else could do that better.
>>
>>53124478
>the only reason video cards exist is for video games

Are you sure you're on the right board?
>>
>>53124440
Works fucking good, simple and free (as in motel free breakfast). Xen and kvm don't work a shit if you are not a system engineer.
>>
I use Xen.

Here's my favorite hypervisors in descending order
kvm
VMware
Xen
VirtualBox
Hyper-v
>>
Its ok, you get what you paid for.

I use VMWare Workstation because I can get licenses free and it has way more features. Some people say that the virtualbox drivers will ruin your system though.
>>
>>53125677
exept the fucking thing never works in linux
>>
>>53124858
vmware fusion
>>
>>53126955
olny for osx if they made it for linux i would use it

fuck vmware they are firing a lot of pple for ching chong replacements
>>
How much of a bitch is it to learn kvm and setup kvm + pci passthrough? I'm impatient as fuck when I test something new and don't want to read kilometers of manuals.
>>
>>53126881
VMWare? Only a retard would use VMWare in Linux.
>>
Oracle. Anything that they touch instantly turns to shit.
>>
>>53124440
I use it at work to get around Rockwell Software's stupid fucking DRM.
>licensing is tied to hard drive
>oh my fuck the hard drive died
>time to spend 3 hours with Rockwell support talking to some fucking Indian to recover 500000 dollars worth of licenses
>>
It's slower in comparison and doesn't do GPU Passthrough.

That's about it. If you need a free VM solution for shitty old software or to fuck around with flavor-of-the-month Linux distros it's perfectly fine.

I've used it at work to get a lot of piece of shit old engineering software running, and to run old but entirely functional equipment. We're talking shit that used parallel port HASPs.
>>
File: Kvmbanner-logo2_1.png (538 KB, 1999x633) Image search: [Google]
Kvmbanner-logo2_1.png
538 KB, 1999x633
>>53124440
There's nothing wrong with it (it works™), there are just better hypervisors. VirtualBox is a hosted hypervisor, which always perform slower than a native hypervisor (e.g. KVM, Xen).
>>
How's running OS X in a VM? I want to replace my desktop with a server running a type 1 hypervisor with my OS X in a VM
>>
>>53124487

What are the superior open source alternatives?
>>
>>53128557
qemu
>>
>>53128608
Without KVM, also a less performing hypervisor.

Consider KVM or Xen.
>>
>>53124478
>AutoCAD doesn't exist
>neither does Tekla Structures
>or Photoshop
>nor 3ds Max
>nor Cinema 4D
>nope!
>GPUs exist solely for gaming!
>all non-gaming computing is done via CLI only!
>>
>>53124456
>>53124506
>>53128772
You idiots ever heard of multibooting? Why the hell would you run such GPU intensive applications in a virtual machine?
>>
>>53128883
Rebooting sucks.
>>
>>53128883
>2016
>multi-booting

Yea, who does that? I mean aside from you?
>>
>>53128883
Why would you reboot when you're capable of not?
>>
>>53128951
If you're running these kind of applications, I assume you're running it on a proper setup where rebooting into another OS takes less than a minute.
>>
Will Wayland + KVM + qemu + GPU passthrough solve the Windows problem? I'd love to have Windows closed up on the corner of my drive.
>>
>>53129112
>solve the Windows problem
Nope. The problem is still there, just running in a VM.
>>
>>53124440
> what is wrong

It is made by Oracle. Do you trust Oracle?
>>
>>53128883
Because at work they require encrypted hard drives with key escrow and they only allow certain solutions to be used. No such acceptable devices or solutions exist that support Linux. So if I want to use Linux on my workstation I'm stuck using a VM. Yes, I actually do use it as my full-time desktop.
>>
>>53129164
My mistake, I meant the botnet problem. Having a confined botnet that doesn't do anything except play games or use accelerated software is great.
>>
>>53124440
It's decent enough if you want to play around with different OS's.

>No GPU passthrough
It does support it, but it is a giant pain in the ass to set up.
>>
>>53129203
>key escrow
Can't they just store the key assigned somewhere? Or do you mean something like NSA skipjack?
>>
GNU/NEETs shilling their GPLshit as always
>>
>>53128772
I think you mean
>FreeCAD
>GIMP
>Blender
Funny how all of those actually replace every single one on your list.
>>
>>53129112
I'd like to know this too.
>>
>>53124440
>Oracle
>>
>>53129090

The problem is multibooting doesn't lend itself to multitasking. You need to do something in a MS program, reboot, going back to do something in Linux, reboot, need to use something again or something else in MS, reboot. Why.
>>
>>53129203
Fair enough
>>
>>53129366

no one uses any of those for actual work
>>
>>53129461
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>53129366
I'm sorry mate, but these applications, while good, are nothing compared to the commercial versions. And yes I have used them all except FreeCAD.
>>
>>53129494
>All of them except FreeCAD
GIMP and Blender are more powerful than their commercial counterparts, and are preferred by most people.
FreeCAD is the most important example on the list, which means your dismissal is invalid.
>>
>>53129482

But they don't?

Revit, Inventor, Solidworks, CATIA, NX are what actual human beings who make money doing CAD/CAM use.

No one uses GIMP. It's Photoshop/Kai/etc or go home.

Blender? Nigger please. Maya, Renderman, zbrush.

I know more people who use Rhino or Messiah than I do Blender.
>>
>>53124440
vidyafags cry over no gpu passthrough.
archfags cry over frequent updates breaking it.

I use it daily (Debian host running Win 8.1 VM for work) and I have 0 probelms with it.
>>
>>53129529
>preferred by most people.
>GIMPed preferred over Photoshop
>by most people
>shit gimp over the worst Photoshop version
>preferred by any
>hahahano.tga
>>
>>53129565
>No one uses GIMP
Right, no one. That's why it has so many downloads.
Stop just listing off random fucking proprietary softwares and come back with a valid opinion.
>>
>>53129529
>GIMP preferred over photoshop
>by most people
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>53129592

Poors who use it for personal use. No one worth their salt uses it professionally.
>>
>>53129529
You are talking out of your ass, mate. If those were that more powerful, they'd be the industry standard by now. The only downside on the commercial packages are the absurd license costs, hence why GIMP and Blender are more "preferred". And I don't care about your dismissal, I know what AutoCAD is capable of, I doubt that FreeCAD can reach the same functionality as AutoCAD does.
>>
>>53127553
Everything Sun made was already shit though.
>>
>>53129529
> Can't even into layers properly
> he thinks it's more powerful
>>
>>53129613
>worth their salt
Again, your arbitrary "I need the shekels to make the shekels" logic is so hilariously wrong.
There are literally oodles of skins and plugins for GIMP that make it look and operate exactly like ShitShop.
>>53129647
I see you can't use plugins properly
>>
>>53129565
>Rhino
You're right, a lot of people use Rhino.
>Blender
There's a rapidly growing professional userbase on Blender, especially at small game studios. Maya is a turd compared to Blender for basic subd modeling.
>>
>>53129592

I work in STEM academia. The faculty teaches the students to use the preferred tools of their industries.

There's a shitload of OSS used but no one uses any of the shit you mention.

Octave doesn't hold a candle to Matlab/Simulink. There's no good OSS alternatives to COMSOL, Ansys, Adams, LabView, etc.
>>
>>53129529
I have used all three extensively, and blender is the only one that beats out any commercial software. Once you get past the huge initial learning curve, blender is far more intuitive and fast to use than any other mesh-based modeling program I have used. GIMP, while powerful, has an absolute clusterfuck of a UI that makes it nigh unusable, and I think I speak for most people when I say that Photoshop is far easier to use. In some specific use cases GIMP may be overall superior to photoshop, but in general it is not. As for FreeCAD, it is usable and relatively intuitive for simple projects, but forget doing anything with more than one or two parts. The workbench idea is neat and works fairly well, but at this point it is not complete software, and until it has a decent Assembly workbench, it has a chance of coming anywhere near commercial software in terms of usability and features.
>>
>>53129592
you really are the stereotypical fat ass that lives in a basement if you think in a professional environment people use gimp over photoshop.

Please, stop talking out of your ass. I grant you that you listed free alternatives, but it's another story that people actually use that to produce crap everyday all around you.

Let it sink in and just think about it for a minute, every single idiot that gimps itself going that route it will pretty much advertise everywhere that he made his project possible using free software.
>>
>>53129641
Guess how long Windows XP was an "Industry Standard," despite having the highest remote-code-execution CVEs of the year?
>Industry Standard™
fucking lol
>>53129672
Maya's a fucking nightmare to do anything in. The industry absolutely hates using it.
>>53129683
"preferred tools of THEIR INDUSTRIES"
wow, two generalized buzzwords in the same sentence
it is almost like you are unaware of how individuals work
>>53129686
GIMP has a completely reskinnable UI. Don't know what you're talking about. FreeCAD has a few forks that are actually better in my opinion, but that's the beauty of FOSS; personal preference is possible through forking.
>>53129696
Stop spouting reddit memes. Stop fucking double-spacing your fucking text. Stop tossing insults because you lack an alternative rhetorical crutch.

Doing a task has many methods that all are improved by understanding the basics of the situation, and there are no basics that are fundamentally different between commercial and FOSS programs because that is how basics work. Fuck.
>>
>>53129366

I have an alternative argument: what if you use Linux at home and use a proprietary program at work for your work and every now and then wish to do a bit of extra work at home
>>
>>53129731

You can keep sperging all you want; that doesn't change what our faculty uses and what they teach their students to use, and what the industries they're going into use.
>>
>>53129745
Then you use what we call a standard (not an Industry Standard™) file format to interchangeably work on said file.
Oh, wait, proprietary software tries to fuck you over and has to be reverse-engineered to be minimally compatible with your FOSS software?
Hmm. Sounds like it is your proprietor's problem.
>>53129765
Yes, plugging your ears and wailing does not make much progress. Sorry that you will not work toward a more convenient, faster-producing, and technologically stable future. Have fun when your proprietary software turns into vaporware.
>>
>>53129686
>>53129731

a common problem for gimp was that can't keep up with the workflow, which sounds idiotic but I guess that having teams of people just doing user research on how people actually handle a tool and how they integrate it to a project workflow in the end pays up.

You are deluded because "muh free software", there are tools for different jobs, some are better than others and it's not a case of "I like this it's the best". Gimp has come far but still nowhere near Photoshop. At this rate if they shift towards the user and the UI probably they will catch up because Adobe has stagnated for years now, but please go outside and watch instead of going with the freetard mentality about everything and believing you own the truth.

You went from listing software that was a decent alternative to argue with half the anons in the thread and using the reddit card.
>>
>>53129795

Yes, this host of proprietary software, some of which that has been in use by industries for upwards of 40 years in some cases is going to suddenly vanish.
>>
>>53129795

I completely agree that it's bullshit that proprietary software locks you out of actual standards. Calling it out as bullshit is probably not going to change what your workplace is using, hence a virtual machine to run it at home is super useful.
>>
>>53129824
The reddit card is valid; coming from a hivemind to a board entirely dedicated to individual capability is a rather stark difference.
Please list something GIMP cannot do (including plugins made by the community) that Photoshop CAN do.
>>53129833
>maya and photoshop have been around for 40 years
hehehehehehehehehehehe
>>53129864
Calling it out as bullshit and then making people aware is important. Fuck capitulation and fuck complacence. You are the worker. You do the work. Your work is yours.
>>
>>53129731
When you work in the industry you are always limited in your time. These "industry standard" software packages still have the preference because they do deliver your work in time. I'm not dismissing the open source alternatives but they are not on par when it comes to delivering the quality in the same timeframe. Not yet at least. And your windows xp example is irrelevant. I do get your frustration though that people are forced in the industry to use specific tools.
>>
>>53129915

You seem to have a serious reading comprehension problem.
>>
>>53129937
>4chan user
>on one of it's most retarded boards
>reading comprehension problem

What are the chances of that?
>>
>>53129935
>They do deliver your work in time
The workflow of FOSS programs has been applauded and held over the head of proprietary design teams for years. You are still so hilariously wrong.
>>53129937
Nice job commenting on a 3-post reply with the vaguest insult possible.
You're ugly.
>>
>>53129980
>The workflow of FOSS programs has been applauded and held over the head of proprietary design teams for years.
Ok buddy, show me examples. Please, indulge me. Bonus points if you can give me an example larger than a small indie team.
>>
>>53130024
Examples are everpresent, including in this thread. One reply included a praise for Blender, in how it actually gets work done instead of works against you like other 3D tools.
I thought I was the one with the reading comprehension problem?
>>
>>53129980
>hur hur hur muh reddit sux0rz meme!
>hur hur hur employers don't tell me, I TELL THEM!
>theoretically, cuz I'm NEET and all
>everything I disagree with is bullshit.
>No, seriously. IT IS! Come on guize, agree with me.
>mama sez I'm the smartest, and handsomest feller ever, so stop disagreeing with me.
>>
"Hey boss, I know this is my first day on the job and everything but all of this proprietary software sucks. I'm gonna do all my work in Blender. I hope that isn't a pro~oh. I'm fired. Alright."

*goes home and cooks shoes in the dryer and eats them*

"Oh the fuckers, they will RUE the day."
>>
>>53124487
Please enlighten us about the alternative

>argument dead before it starts
>>
>>53130175
not him, but vmware if you need video acceleration, kvm if you don't, hyperv for windows

nobody uses vbox for anything important
>>
>>53128361
Kvm and xen are so fucking slow
>>
>>53129915
>Please list something GIMP cannot do (including plugins made by the community) that Photoshop CAN do.
The efficiency of it is more important, even if the same features exist
>>
>>53130318
It's not even the efficiency, though there is that. It can and does boil down to "this is what our company uses, it is what all of our employees use, and it is what you will fucking use, or else you can go flip burgers for a living."
>>
>>53129937
I just got here to post that. Everybody is almost agreeing on some points with him and he keeps contesting the same shit.

>>53129915
you talk about hivemind and yet keep repeating the same reddit meme shit. Your logic is flawless, you are like the guy that doesn't know what it's talking about and suddenly make a Hitler reference. Chill and as I told you before, go outside, the world is not that small and not that binary.

I bet you get triggered if people use Linux, OSX and Windows on almost a daily basis and not just the Linux flavour you think is the best.
>>
>>53129366
FreeCAD is awful, and so is QCAD. I really wanted to use CAD software native to linux, but ultimately had to go for AutoCAD in a VM.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.