[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Protecting privacy is a "marketing strategy." htt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8
File: doj.png (1 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
doj.png
1 MB, 2000x2000
Protecting privacy is a "marketing strategy."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/20/business/justice-department-calls-apples-refusal-to-unlock-iphone-a-marketing-strategy.html

Every fucking normie I run into at work either has no clue that this is happening or doesn't think the government is needlessly trying to compromise security.

Just how fucked are we?
>>
Im torn
Privacy vs seeing apple charged with possible obstruction charges
>>
>>53069036
>Just how fucked are we?
To quote my grandfather: "If you have to ask son, you sure as hell don't want to know the answer."
>>
>>53069036

If the FBI wins this, they'll eventually use the decision to compromise every operating system on every possible device. Your iPhone, your tablet, your fuckin' Windows 10 PC - all compromised and all part of a bigger botnet than the Google.

I don't even like Apple's shit, and I'm rooting for them to win here.
>>
Protecting privacy is very important and many businesses and individuals value it highly. Is it then wrong to market to such people? Is it wrong to market cars to people who need a car for their business or personal life? I say not, it is only natural a company caters to its audience.

This is just another lie the FBI tries to pull to make the american people think privacy is a farce, even though it is not and even endorsed by your constitution. Stand up for your rights.
>>
File: puff.jpg (82 KB, 800x422) Image search: [Google]
puff.jpg
82 KB, 800x422
>>53069036

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/john-mcafee-i-can-hack-san-bernardino-iphone-fbi-apple-backdoor-like-giving-our-enemies-1544651

>Would Hitler have stopped invading Poland if the Polish people had sweetly asked him not to do so? Those who think so should stand strongly by Hilary Clinton's side, whose cybersecurity platform includes negotiating with the Chinese so that they will no longer launch cyberattacks against us.

Meanwhile Dolan Trump supports decrypting the device.
>>
If by now you aren't operating under the assumption that any networked machine you're using is or can be compromised than you either don't care or are being willfully ignorant.

Burner machines and managing separate online identities are the way to go until this global cyberpunk dystopia gets bad enough for competent programmers and mathematicians to start developing tools and algorithms for the sole purpose of actively subverting the 5-eyes grid, and not pussyfooting around the issue like they are now, working on half-measures and trying to comply with ever more draconian laws like absolute cucks.
>>
>>53069152
>If the FBI wins this, they'll eventually use the decision to compromise every operating system on every possible device. Your iPhone, your tablet, your fuckin' Windows 10 PC - all compromised and all part of a bigger botnet than the Google.

Yeah, but they can't touch Linux... They can try to make it illegal, but then you could just make a "fake windows" linux. And if all those are compromised then they are also compromised for criminals.

The Narcos will just get one of their own to become a FBI agent and share the backdoor and then rake in the cash from all americans. Just like how criminals use existing backdoors to "unlock" stolen phones.
>>
>>53069426

It always tickles me when US politicians complain about Chinese cyber attacks when we launch 10x as many attacks with 20x the funding. It gets harder and harder to take these idiots seriously.
>>
>>53069496

>they can't touch linux

The fact that it is libre doesn't make it immune to backdoors. Heartbleed was there for how long? The NSA specialize in writing seemingly innocuous code, that ends up backdooring the entire system.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/04/01/anatomy-of-a-bug-misplaced-parenthesis-in-netbsd/
>>
>>53069036
I swear there's a law that protects personal information though? Or is that England only?
>>
File: 1455829980996.jpg (271 KB, 738x1028) Image search: [Google]
1455829980996.jpg
271 KB, 738x1028
>>53069036
>apple
>protecting privacy

Fuck off shill.
>>
>>53069744
Said terrorist lost most of his 4th ammendment rights when he fired the first shot
That and dead people have no rights too
>>
the FBI wants full access they want to be able to unlock iPhones themselves without the help from the genius bar. that's what it seems like, correct me if I'm wrong.

and we are fucked OP but that's old news
>>
File: Capture.jpg (108 KB, 683x368) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
108 KB, 683x368
>>53069876
>correct me if I'm wrong.

Apple are literally terrorist scum.
>>
>>53069892
ah well then, fuck Apple
>>
>>53069892
>"i-it would only be for this one device!"
>sets a very harmful precedence of federal government having access to private data with just a court order
If you don't see a problem with this, you have a serious misunderstanding of how the justice system works.
>>
>>53069892
This.

They could've chose any of the dozens of cases, but they chose THIS case specifically to get the most publicity out of it.

Then they fucking cry "b-but privacy" because the FBI wants them to make software that will only work on ONE specific phone, and saying "if it leaks it wud be bad". Because when someone hacks into Apple HQ's servers, they're going to steal the software hack for that one phone instead of the iOS source files or Apple's private keys.

This is pure PR bullshit. Fuck Apple.

And fuck utter retards like you. >>53070027
>>
>>53070044
>apple helping the feds getting past the lock screen dozens of times is equal to decrypting the entire device

go back to /v/ and never come back.
>>
>>53070093
>apple helping the feds but not helping them now becuz muh current marketing campaign

Fuck off back to /r/macrumors and never come back.
>>
>>53070044
>FBI wants them to make software that will only work on ONE specific phone
If you think that's what the FBI actually wants out of this, you're an easily misled fool, or a paid shill.
>>
>>53070158
>Apel is protectin muh privacee even though they've proven they haven't given a shit about privacy for the last decade

If you think that's what Apple actually wants out of this, you're an easily misled fool, or a paid shill.
>>
>implying

Apple already has both the key AND a backdoor for the phone, just like they have for every single one of their phones.

It really is just a marketing strategy to take advantage of dumbasses who think their phones are secure.

What, you thought a major corporation designed to profit off retards cared about your privacy?
>>
>he thinks his botphone and his botputer's internet activities arent tracked by the NSA with IP logs and data backups since the begining.

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... yesss anon. APPLE IS PROTECTING US YESSS THEY ARE THE ONLY GOOD GUYS, THEY WANT OUR FREEDOM YESSS
>>
>>53070206
This. Apple has never given a single shit about privacy except as soon as W10 came out and it became a widely talked about issue. Only a complete retard would see this as anything other than the PR stunt it is given Apple's history of bending over for the FBI when privacy wasn't widely discussed.
>>
>>53070228
Whoa, apple wants profit? Who'd have thought that eh?
>>
Apple is un american and soon it will be illegal yo own an iPhone in name of national security
>>
File: 700.jpg (8 KB, 300x303) Image search: [Google]
700.jpg
8 KB, 300x303
>>53070281
Based NSA.
>>
File: 1455765076523.png (420 KB, 565x1002) Image search: [Google]
1455765076523.png
420 KB, 565x1002
>>53070206
I don't really give a shit about Applel's PR campaign.

I give a shit about the FBI firing the first shot of their Jihad on software companies. Just read Comey's tirades on having to look into the eyes of the parents of murdered children, and telling them they won't catch who did it because of encryption.

I think it's clear to anyone with a brain that the FBI is trying to gain the ability to force companies to change their software on demand. It's like CALEA on steroids.
>>
>>53070158
I thought the FBI wanted this one phone unlocked so they can unlock any phone at any time.
>>
>>53070330
They want to get their toe in the door so they can start issuing orders to companies to modify their products to make them easier for them to break into.

The Director of the FBI has been going on about the imminent threat of "going dark" for years now.
>>
The phone belongs to the San Bernardino Department of Health. It is not Farook's personal device. The owners of the device want it unlocked. Where is the privacy issue here? This is a marketing ploy. The folks at Apple are being cunts.
>>
>>53070228
Except they don't. They can't recover your data if it is encrypted and locked , even if you send it to them.
>>
>>53070383

Apple isn't obligated to service this phone.
>>
>>53070358
>everyone goes dark, including terrorists
>major terrorist attack happens
>WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH WHY DIDN'T YOU PREVENT THIS FBI!!!

The intelligence agencies have the shittiest job in the country honestly. Everyone hates them right up until something actually happens, then they hate them even more because they blame the agencies for failing to prevent it.
>>
>>53070358
Right, had a feeling it was something around those lines. The backdoor won't be implemented at once but with little baby steps.
>>
>>53070417
Then they should not claim this is a matter of privacy or principle. This is them refusing a court order because they are cunts.
>>
>>53069036
But that is exactly what it is.

Apple have no real interest in actual privacy, only public perception.
>>
>>53070425

The NSA already monitors the American population, why didn't they, with all the info they had, alert the FBI so that the shootings didn't happen in the first place?
>>
>>53070383
>>53070459
You realize this is the exact same principle that ransomware works on, right? Apple could scarcely do anything if they tried.
>>
It is a marketing strategy. Apple will eventually be charged with criminal charges and be forced to comply with the government, so their "open letter" was just a way to look better in the eyes of power users.

It creates the impression that they actually give a shit when in reality they know it's just a matter of time before they're forced to help.
>>
>>53070425
The intelligence community should always be viewed with suspicion. I don't really care if it makes their job harder.

More often, the problem isn't having the data, it's gaining actionable intelligence from that data. Data without analysis and integration is just noise.

The US IC had everything they needed to stop the 9/11 attacks, but information overload and a lack of collaboration caused them to fail.

What was the response? We need more power. We need more collection authority. Let's authorize a couple of secret programs along with a couple of "for public consumption" intelligence reform laws. The FISA process needs to be watered down. The use of national security letters needs to be massively expanded until it's a daily tool of investigation.

The answer for these people is always bigger budgets, more authority, more power.
>>
>>53069426
>>Would Hitler have stopped invading Poland if the Polish people had sweetly asked him not to do so?
If they let Danzig join the Reich like Hitler wanted, probably.
>>
>>53070358
Not years, decades now. Key escrow has always been a juicy prize for 3 letter agencies.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/10/90s-and-now-fbi-and-its-inability-cope-encryption
>>
>guys, we can't we can't ever let terrorism change our way of life! The American Spirit is all about overcoming fear and intimidation!

>...we live in a different world now, stop being so selfish, you don't want to end up like those people in San Bernandino, right?

This is the most powerful nation in the world.
>>
>>53070206
>I don't know what the concept of precedent is

Oh yeah, I'm so sure the the government is going to let this be a super special one time thing, and will never ever ask Apple to give them a skeleton key ever again. And there totally aren't going to be nations across the globe who'll make similar requests to address their own pet problems.
>>
>>53070895
>le precedent maymay
Apple has been giving everything up to the alphabet soup for a decade.

How does a deluded retard like you become so deluded?
>>
>>53069892
Because no one could ever change a few values and make it work on another device. Right?
>>
>>53071056
Read further.

Apple doesn't have to provide the software to the FBI.
The FBI need Apple to sign the software with their signature for the device to load it (so even if the FBI got their hands on the software they couldn't modify it and load it on other phones without that signature).
This can all be done by Apple in house, the phone can be delivered to Apple but they must provide the FBI with a remote connection to the device once the software is loaded so they can run their brute force and extract the data.

Apple can literally delete the software and the code and dban the drives it was on once they are done.

Apple SHOULD hold off as long as they can to make this entire process arduous, so that they won't be having to unlock your neighborhood druggies' phones every day, but they SHOULD do it.
>>
>>53070968
>>le precedent maymay
The entire constitution is interpreted with judicial precedences, you crippled retard. Setting a bad one now would mean decades of suffering down the road.
>>
>>53071458
Apple set the precedent 8 years ago you mongoloid retard.
>>
>>53071570
>he thinks corporate precedence and judicial precedences are equally enforceable

just stop posting.
>>
>>53071570
>having terrible encryption standards at a corporate level is the same as complying to a government request.

You do realize that Apple wouldn't be the only ones affected by this right? Any company whose past with respecting user privacy was squeaky clean would have to explain why they aren't helping the FBI when "Apple did it just fine". The DoJ isn't filing a lawsuit right now just to be cute, they want to change the status quo in huge way.
>>
>>53069036
They're not wrong OP.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.