[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>1998 >software that doesn't respect your freedom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 13
File: hqdefault.jpg (38 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
38 KB, 480x360
>1998
>software that doesn't respect your freedom is rightfully shunned on every major linux distribution
>2016
>you can download skype from the repos on most major linux
What went wrong /g/?
>>
>>53055406
You can download (or in most cases point your package management system at) anything. Doesn't mean that the project as a whole supports, advocates, doesn't abhor it.
>>
>software that doesn't respect your freedom is rightfully shunned on every major linux distribution
Wrong. KDE was closed source at that time and the most used DE too.

>What went wrong /g/?
Nothing unless you are a freetard
>>
>>53055406
How is this a technology question?

It's not about how stuff works, it's about what should be or what shouldn't, you know a question of ethics. Not technology.
>>
>>53055455
>>53055455
Kde respected freedom though. It's not like it's proprietary garbage. Jesus anon
>>
>>53055477
Not the OP, but the reason I responded and probably the reason OP posted it is because of the recent research that was released showing that all VOIP communications are compromised. So just be aware that you are being listened to if you use this medium for communications. Also, be aware that you are being listened to in all other cases involving cell phones, land-lines, FRS radios, and probably others as well.
>>
>>53055503
Closed source software literally means proprietary software
>>
>>53055524
OP here. Skype is confirmed compromised by Snowden, it's not a tinfoil theory.
>>
>>53055547
>Being this new
>>
>>53055559
Too bad there is no alternative and tox is garbage
>>
>>53055559
And? People use Skype all the time for work or for playing games, if the people using Linux need Skype, at least they can use it on Linux.

If you don't want to use Skype, just don't use it, leave other users (Linux users) do what they want.

>>53055562
It's the same, anon. Only freetards use the term "proprietary" because they muh evil software.
>>
>>53055696
No! You must not like what I dislike.
>>
File: 1455319992347.png (175 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1455319992347.png
175 KB, 900x900
>>53055696
That fact that such opaque piece of proprietary software is even allowed on the official repos in the first place is horrendous. It's just introducing another attack vector for your system.

Also, if backdoors are in a system that means that russian credit-card stealing hackers will eventually figure out how to access them, even if the backdoors are only "intended" for the benevolent NSA
>>
>>53055524
Oh cool, because I'm barely talking when I'm on the PC and when I do, I'm not saying anything worth eavesdropping. So yeah obviously everything that connects to a worldwide network is not private, it can be listened to, in some circumstances. It kinda comes with the advantages of being able to connect to almost anyone on the planet.

If you want privacy, don't use the internet or invest in secure encrypted connections, for businesses purposes. For casual stuff privacy on the web doesn't really matter.
>>
>>53055674
>tox is garbage
???
>>
>>53055759
>lol i dont have anything to hide amirite
Fuck off

Or just consider that backdoors placed for NSA could be easily accessible by less benign parties like said in >>53055753
>>
>>53055406
I'll admit, I just installed skype on my Linux machine, and was fairly surprised it was in the repo.
>>
>>53055759
Good then, You won't mind if I take a look around your place while you are out. What is that? You were talking about supporting xyz candidate for president? Expect to get an audit this year by IRS. (this actually happened to me)
>>
>>53055767
Tox hasn't been audited or even finished. It might never be a serious competitor to Skype.
>>
>>53055820
Let me guess, it was Ron/Rand Paul?
>>
>>53055406
what?
now is better than ever for free software, the *nix environment was much more controlled by proprietary environments and software than it is now
>>
>>53055843
You too anon?
>>
>>53055753
>That fact that such opaque piece of proprietary software is even allowed on the official repos in the first place is horrendous.
Why? Most of the distros have repositories exclusive for closed source software, and GUI package managers usually inform the user that the program is closed source. Distros are giving users the possibility (and accessibility) to install what they need, if they needed.

>It's just introducing another attack vector for your system.
It doesn't install automatically, it doesn't execute automatically until the first run, and it can be configured to not doing that.

>Also, if backdoors are in a system that means that russian credit-card stealing hackers will eventually figure out how to access them
That's not how backdoors works. And you are talking about something that isn't happening right now, do you want to discuss what /g/ will do when Stallman marries too? Let's go back to the preset.
>>
>>53055406

Fedora and Debian, two of the main GNU/Linux distros, ship with only free software by default.
>>
>>53055406
>skype
Show me another client that my friends are already using(lol) that widely supported and can make video calls, as well as video conferencing.

Protip: You cant.
The business world uses cisco conferencing if they have the money, or skype because it just werx for everyone.
Good luck getting your friends to use a client to only talk to YOU instead of all their other friends/coworkers
>>
File: 1451813633727.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1451813633727.png
296 KB, 649x649
> Your freedoms end where stallman's autism begins
Open source is a walled garden just like Apple.
>>
>>53055903
>It doesn't install automatically, it doesn't execute automatically until the first run, and it can be configured to not doing that.
It's still unaudited proprietary software that still exists on the repo, which means that it could easily be an NSA trojan and the repo could be compromised (how many people download software without checking hashes?) and thus all of your other software could be compromised.

>That's not how backdoors works.
It's funny because most security experts disagree with you:

https://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/97690/MIT-CSAIL-TR-2015-026.pdf?sequence=8

>you are talking about something that isn't happening right now
You don't know that.
>>
>>53055936
dumb drakeposter
>>
File: 1452689946293.png (1 MB, 1364x1023) Image search: [Google]
1452689946293.png
1 MB, 1364x1023
>>53055959
> T-T-THE WALLS ARE TO PROTECT ME FROM THE EVIL PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE ANYTHING THAT ISN'T GPL IS NSA TROJANS BACKDOORS TRYING TO STEAL MY TOTALLY IMPORTANT AND RELEVANT COMPUTER USING HABBITS
Grow up
>>
>>53055936
>not in official repos means walled garden
>t. retard

All Stallman's so-called 'autism' requires is that you don't distribute non-free software if you want his endorsement. It's possibly the weakest form of protest possible and people still complain about it.
It's like if hitler's punishment for being jewish was disqualification from the 'Aryan of the Year' awards.

There is no technical restrictions preventing you from running non-free software with anything GNU. That's part of freedom.
>>
>>53055976
>I enjoy having my bank account drained by Vlad and Igor
ok
>>
>>53055997
дa
Bлaдимиp yвaжитeльнo бизнec

дeлaют хopoшиe чecтныe дeньги
>>
>>53055820
I don't vote. I think all candidates are shit. So, whatcha gonna do about it, gubbermint fagboi?
>>
What proof are there that Skype is being monitored by the government? This is worrisome to me because I said some really crazy shit on there.
>>
>>53056031
Good for you. I don't plan on voting either. They are all shit. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try to assert your rights as a human.
>>
>>53056064
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data
>>
File: ESR.jpg (62 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
ESR.jpg
62 KB, 288x288
>>53055406
>>
>>53055406
Ostracizing proprietary software is against free software philosophy too. Users should be able to choose, it shouldn't be a decision made for you.

However users value convenience over freedom, so a revolution is a must to teach the users.

Oh man, now I understand why this trail of thought lead to massacres in some countries. You can't force revolution.
>>
>>53055954
>All this paranoia.

A house with two doors and two keys is as secure as a house with one. Russians doesn't benefit for the NSA backdoors.
>>
>You can't force revolution.
No you can't. This is why I have almost given up on trying to interact. If everyone wants to be a slave, then who am I to disagree? Nobody. I'll just figure out a way to make the best of a fucked up system.
>>
>>53056145
>A house with two doors and two keys is as secure as a house with one
Are you retarded?
>>
>>53056145
Two keys means two times the chance that one of your keys falls into the wrong hands.
>>
>>53055406
>you can download skype from the repos on most major linux

well it wouldn't make sense for them to take away your freedom to take away your own freedom
>>
>>53056145
It's more a street of houses with different keys, but they all have a backdoor with the same key.
If someone can replicate the backdoor key, they have access to every house
>>
File: file.png (90 KB, 638x858) Image search: [Google]
file.png
90 KB, 638x858
>>53055477
>>
How is allowing users to have a choice against freedom?
>>
>>53055562
Proprietary is just a synonym for 'closed source'
>>
>>53058815
Because the regressive, authoritarian, free-as-in-freedom brigade said so.
>>
>>53055547
no it doesnt idiot
>>
>>53055406
Nothing went wrong, there are still distributions that come with 0 non free software. For example Debian.
Linux is free and people are free to modify it as they see fit, even if it involves installing non free software, they're not doing anything wrong.
>>
File: why_rms_sucks.jpg (190 KB, 1000x898) Image search: [Google]
why_rms_sucks.jpg
190 KB, 1000x898
Stallman in a nutshell, the picture. Crazy as a bedbug.
>>
>>53055936
/g/ post of the decade
>>
>>53055976
dumb drakeposter
>>
>>53061685
I bet you never even talked to him.
>>
>>53055562
>Being this retard

Free as in freedom closed software, huh? Can this be more retarded?
>>
>>53056145
This is more like if every lock in the state of Vermont accepted a government key. What happens when a malicious locksmith clones it or just steals it from the gubermint?

(for the purpose of this analogy, pretend that they couldn't just knock down the door/break your windows)
>>
>>53064122
>One government key
No, multiple government keys for every time of house.
>>
>>53058815
>I choose to be a slave, that is freedom
>>
>>53064384
>I choose to be a slave, that is freedom
Why not?

But ya, seriously, comparing the use of closed source software to slavery is stupid. Stallman propaganda.

Skype gives me the freedom to talk with my friends and family at not monetary cost, in an efficient way that everybody can do in a multiple of devices. Being one of the mainstream communication platforms, it's even easier. Many people use Skype for work, increasing their productivity too.
>>
>>53065024
Skype is literally malware. The only reason to use it is that other people use it. Which is not a valid readon imo.
>>
File: 1452285888605.png (533 KB, 459x612) Image search: [Google]
1452285888605.png
533 KB, 459x612
>>53065309
>Skype is literally malware.
>>
Opinions on Discord? It seems pretty great desu senpai
>>
File: Losethos.png (13 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Losethos.png
13 KB, 640x480
GNU is not free.

Public domain is free.

Terry A. Davis >>>>> Richard M. Stallman in the field of protecting your freedoms. There are no distros of templeos with proprietary blobs. There are no proprietary drivers.

I once emailed Stallman about TempleOS and the fucking asshole hasn't even heard about the thing. Why the fuck do people look up to someone who hasn't heard of the single most impressive work of art in his field that's been made in the last decade? I find it hard to take the man seriously.
>>
>>53055455
Only Qt was closed source.KDE was open.Saying KDE was closed is like saying an open source MATLAB program is closed source.
Also Qt was shunned and thats why Gnome started.
Also I think Xfce is as old as KDE.
>>
>>53065649
Too bad it has no network support. I guaranty, if it did, /g/ would have Terry on the sticky in a matter of weeks.
>>
>>53066178
That's not the point of the OS.

It's like complaining that Linux doesn't have backwards compatibility for DOS games unless you download DOSBox.
>>
All the libtards are in full-force campaigning against GNU.

Yeah, you won't be convincing us not to use free software just like you didn't convince us not to use github.

Fuck off back to stormfront.
>>
>>53066904
I'm not saying that that's not the case, all I'm saying is absence of network support severely limits what you can do with it.
>>
>>53055753
>russian credit-card stealing hackers
>implying there are not american card stealing hackers
>>
>>53065024
Commenting on this for all the people saying stallman is crazy.

What is actually meant by this, is not that you shouldn't be allowed to install skype.

Forcing control over something like that is very bad.

It means that it shouldn't be in the repos where someone could install it, not realizing it's free, and that it will spy on them.

When I install something from the repos, I expect it to not be malicious.

A program that spies on me is malicious.
>>
>>53068765
not realizing it's not free*

Essentially, an OS shouldn't help proprietary software, or anything user unfriendly.

Packaging, and providing an official distribution channel for proprietary software counts.
>>
File: 1455828326049.jpg (159 KB, 683x1024) Image search: [Google]
1455828326049.jpg
159 KB, 683x1024
lol free shit lol
>>
File: YpKHRQZ.gif (5 KB, 65x65) Image search: [Google]
YpKHRQZ.gif
5 KB, 65x65
>>53068765
>It means that it shouldn't be in the repos where someone could install it, not realizing it's free.
False. Distros usually tell the users that the software is closed source.

Sometimes you have to add manually an official "non-oss" repo.

>and that it will spy on them.
Fear, uncertainty and doubt. Also every new user of Skype has to agree to a ToS.

>When I install something from the repos, I expect it to not be malicious.
>A program that spies on me is malicious.
Skype doesn't spy on you when you install it. When you use it, the program behaves according to the ToS you agreed. There is nothing malicious on this.

>an OS shouldn't help proprietary software, or anything user unfriendly.
Why? Just because it contradicts your morals? Fuck off. At the end, it depends of the distribution. You shouldn't generalize. A distribution focused on the Stallman's "liberties" should focus on what you said, but in Ubuntu or OpenSUSE, where its purpose is to make a system easy to use, this isn't and it shouldn't be a goal.
>>
>>53069119
>Distros usually tell the user it's closed source

Debian and some sure, but a lot don't.
>>
>>53069169
OpenSUSE neither. Checking if Ubuntu does it...
>>
>>53055406
presumably, people became more dependent on proprietary services like Skype and perhaps even desensitized to invasions of privacy
>>
File: sss.png (33 KB, 574x261) Image search: [Google]
sss.png
33 KB, 574x261
>>53055406
what the literal fuck?
mint aka ubuntu stable
>>
>>53066938
>libtards
>stormfront

Pick one, asshat
>>
Ppl didn't installed Gentoo... This went wrong
>>
>>53055406
it all started when linux became the kernel for gnu but wasn't and still isn't gpl.
>>
>you shouldn't have the freedom to use non free software
>>
>>53055406
well obviously skype became a mainstream form of internet video calling
>>
File: winning.jpg (33 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
winning.jpg
33 KB, 443x332
>>53055406
Linux finally got some common sense.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.