[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Switching to Android
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 13
Im going to be getting a Nexus 6P (coming from a 5s)

Kind of tired of the boring apple stuff, their updates slow down the phone, can't roll back. And looking at my phone now, i use more google services than anything. I don't like siri, apple maps, i don't own any itunes content. and all my apps are on google play as well.

So what is an absolute must when it comes to getting an android phone? Like any optimizations or anything like that? I know im gonna get me a gba and nds emulator goin.
>>
If you plan on getting root access, get AdAway.

Also Android uses a really nice format for applications (like Java's but without the stack), so you can edit applications more easily if you ever need that.
>>
>>53053499
Root, AdAway(systemwide, incl inside apps), GBAEMU, DraStic, MXplayer, Total Commander.

There's really not much else.
>>
>>53053763
>Total Commander
>not bash
>>
Also find a replacement SMS app you like. Everyone had their own preferences
>>
>>53053499
your android phone is going to slow down even if you don't update your os, just saying
you'll have to deal with random issues like youtube app not working
but at least there's clover
>>
get solid explorer and nova launcher
>>
>>53054405
Not true if you actually delete the apps you are not using.
>>
>>53054457
>nova launcher
but free nova is shit and free apex is the same as paid nova
>>
>>53053763
>MXplayer

Sucks compared to BSplayer; it's the equivalent of VLC
>>
File: 87c.gif (105 KB, 600x458) Image search: [Google]
87c.gif
105 KB, 600x458
>Nexus 6P
>no mSD slot
>no removable battery
You might as well stick with apple (seriously).
>>
>>53054723
What do you suggest then?
>>
>>53054767
Any android device with a mSD slot and a removable battery. There are tons of them out there. All of them very good choices depending on your specific needs.

Else you know just stick with apple.
>>
>>53054767
lg V10 is good or you could wait for the S7, according to leaks it has a micro SD slot
>>
>>53054723
why do I need that though? The battery is great, plus i'll be getting 64BG which is way more than i'll ever need.
>>
File: 1429839368256.gif (476 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1429839368256.gif
476 KB, 500x281
>>53055571
Because when your battery is kill you can swap it easily with a new one and go one with your life like nothing happened. You can buy a 200GB mSD card for around $80 right now so getting a phone without a mSD slot is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Yeah you say you don't need the space now but you never know. I have a 64GB mSD card and it's getting close to 80% full right now. Kind of feeling salty I didn't get the 128GB version. In addition your Android device acts as a USB flash drive so having extra storage space is essential so you won't have to carry around bulky USB flash drives.

If you only need a couple of gigs of storage than Android is not for you. You should get an iPhone instead.
>>
>>53055708
But honestly what do you put on your phone that takes up that much space? Even with all my pics,music, videos, apps, etc i still have like 12/32GB left.

How do you use your phone in your daily life that makes it take up that much space.
>>
>>53055737
chinese cartoons, tv shows, movies, large 20GB music library, ebooks, virtual flash drives, and torrents I download on the go.

Yeah I like to watch video on the go or on my bed, sue me.
>>
>>53055708
What phone do you have vomit?
>>
>>53055772
LG Volt
>>
File: 1455596028755.jpg (8 KB, 265x265) Image search: [Google]
1455596028755.jpg
8 KB, 265x265
>>53055770
>chinese cartoons
>>
File: asian_girl_smug.jpg (21 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
asian_girl_smug.jpg
21 KB, 306x306
>>53055770
>watching movies on your phone
>>
File: 1443392029081.jpg (18 KB, 276x230) Image search: [Google]
1443392029081.jpg
18 KB, 276x230
>>53055708
>bulky USB flash drives
yeah luv carrying around these tiny smartphones, sometimes I lose them in my pocket.
>>
>>53055883
Oh yeah bro, watching movies on your laptop while waiting for the fucking metro or on the bed is comfy as fuck.
>>
>music player
isense is pretty cool looking but there are aspect I don't like about it

>browser
default is fine

>mods
root your phone and unlock the bootloader, load a fresh stock rom of whatever your phone has, make sure it has Xposed as that is where you will have tons of modding capabilities (I for one cannot live with out pie controls.

>apps
lucky patcher is a first.
>>
>>53054405

Is it true what ^ said about the phone slowing down?
>>
>>53055941
doesn't happen to me
>>
>>53055737
Don't fall for the removable battery meme or micro sd. Nexus 6p has a respectable battery size and doze feature really helps out. As for storage I think you'll be fine with 64gb if you use your phone like a normal person.

You picked a good phone to start off with as it's pure Android and zero bloatware and easy to customize.
>>
File: 1451969502326.gif (172 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
1451969502326.gif
172 KB, 550x400
>>53055961
>>
5x owner here. definitely go with 6p. i get occasional lag with 5x, i hear 6p is way zippier than the 5x. once i get an extra web job i'm gonna use the cash to upgrade to the 6p.
>>
>>53055961
thats what people have told me, samsung galaxy s7 did sound great though. but this phones specs are more than enough for me. plus i like the whole sound of stock android
>>
shouldn't you be watching your chinese cartoons?
>>
Nexus 6p is a great choice OP. The only problem is the lack of expandable storage, but unless you need it then it's not a big deal.

Use XDA to root your device, and the take a look on there to see if there's any custom Roms worth flashing.

Download xposed and then get a few of the popular modules (adaway, YouTube background, gravity box, etc).
>>
>>53055961
>you'll be fine with 64gb if you use your phone like a normal person
This.
>>
>>53055995
Do not fall for that samshit meme. Stick with either stock Android or a moto phone. No other phone can compete with the software of moto or Nexus devices.
>>
I've got a Nexus 6p but have no experience with rooting.

What use does rooting have that stock android can't achieve? (I usually just see autists changing the UI which is not that impressive)

Doesn't rooting fuck with updates? What about muh security risks?
>>
>>53056047
android pay wont work if you root. and you'll have to manually update by flashing new roms. thats about it
>>
>>53056047
Rooting fucks with official updates, but when the updates are released for your phone you will be able to manually flash them anyway. For most devices (nor including Nexus) rooting is actually the quickest way to update.

As for the benefits of rooting, you can underclock/overclock, undervolt, get ad blockers, increased battery life, more privacy control, YouTube background playback, and unlimited customization. There are of course more benefits, but these are the ones I use the most.
>>
>>53056081
damn thats a huge negative for me, i really wanted to see if it would be worth using regularly.
>>
>>53055188
V10 owner, this phone is the tits. I'll never buy samshit again.
>>
>>53055977
Epic Jewish meme hahahahahahhahahahahahaah go back to yospos
>>
>>53055941
Yes, I switched from an iPhone to android and all of their devices get suddenly slow, I don't why but they do. Will go back to iPhone as soon as possible desu
>>
>>53054405

>YouTube app not working
People use that crap? It doesn't even support background play without some xposed hack
>>
>>53053499
Xposed Intaller m8
>>
>>53057320
>youtube background play
How is this useful? i'm curious because that xposed module seems very popular but i never had any use for it.
>>
>>53057652
You can listen to things without having to watch it
>>
>>53057760
But if you're watching a video it is because you want to see the content of the video.

And if you want to listen to music there's your music player for that, why would you listen to a 128kbps mp3 from youtube?
>>
>>53055941
That only happens with samsung, stick with nexus, lg, or moto and you'll be fine. My roommate had one of the newer motos (cant remember the name) and that shit had a great stock launcher. Currently ive got the g4 and this is the best phone ive owned without a doubt. Definitely look into all your choices before you buy one, do your research. What do you use the most with your phone?
Removwable battery and sd card slot are spectacular too, so i would recommend looking for a phone with those.
>>
>>53057785
Maybe you want to listen to a review or a song remix, plenty of things that aren't available on your music player of choice or things with videos that don't need to be viewed to understand
>>
>>53055787
That explains so much. OP might not be stuck using 3 year old phones so he can always upgrade if and when the battery starts to degrade. Pro tip: Something cooler and better in all regards will be out and affordable long before that battery starts going downhill.
>>
File: 1447731867809.jpg (27 KB, 640x454) Image search: [Google]
1447731867809.jpg
27 KB, 640x454
I switched from an iPhone 5 to Nexus 5 recently.

The user interface is just fucking awful on android. It looks like shit and it's really un-intuitive.

But now I can finally just drag and drop my pirated music/movies into my phone without having to go through mother fucking itunes every time I want to add a file, so there's that.

There is no escape from smartphone hell.
>>
>>53058145
>But now I can finally just drag and drop my pirated music/movies into my phone without having to go through mother fucking itunes every time I want to add a file, so there's that.
This is the exact reason I'm lurking this thread looking for a decent android phone. I'm going to jailbreak the fucker soon and play with ifile but it's such a pita, especially in combination with linux. The Nexus 5 was exactly what I was looking at. FML
>>
I know it's not related much but I can't seem to find anywhere to post this.

Can anyone name a chink/used phone under 80$?
>>
>>53058193
I mean, YOU might like it. I'm just a minimalist fag, so pic related makes me want to claw out my eyes.

The battery life is mediocre at best. Highlighting specific parts of text is a huge hassle with android's keyboard. The phone tries to force google hangouts, google+, and other huge failures on you.

When you first start the phone it makes you add a gmail account and now google has access to literally all of my pictures (the pictures app is also a disorganized clusterfuck)
>>
>>53053499
I just have an S5 rooted with Blisspop 6 on it (android 6.0.1) Literally amazing battery life, still great camera (even though the samshit camera app was objectively better). s5 has removable bat + expandable storage and is really cheap these says, you don't really need anything better imo
>>
>>53058485
I mean days*
>>
>>53058350
You can disable Google apps and use alternatives, but you need an account to tie to the play store and other convenient services. And you think Apple doesn't have access to your phone if they wanted it?
>>
>>53055941
No not really. I used my Sony for a year before the next update hit and I had to restart it. No problems ever.
>>
>>53055770
>watching films on a smartphone
david lynch hates u bro

>>53058485
>blisspop
m8.......
>>
>>53059897
Cm13 has a huge battery drain issue so that's why I'm using blisspop. Its more customisable anyway. Why don't you like it?
>>
>>53059934
I had so many problems with it and it fucked up my s3, and I was using a "stable" release. but if it works for you then good for you. I am using cm13 rn and I don't have any battery problem honestly (galaxy s3)
>>
>>53058145
>thinks android is unintuitive and looks bad
>comes from iOS

Really anon? At least you can do other things than what Apple thinks you should be limited to.
>>
Typing this from my 6p after 6 years on iOS.

So far,
-Not impressed with the battery life.
-I miss the quick access to spotlight. Getting to the search bar with an active keyboard is a two-step process on Android. It really shouldn't and it really shows me down.
-The lack of native youtube background is annoying and funny because I used to use chrome on iOS to work around this.

Other than that I'm loving this thing.
>>
>>53058650
There are no alternatives to certain apps like Google Photos.

No shit Apple can get access to your phone, I never said otherwise. But if you don't save your photos to icloud then they can't just fetch them from your Apple ID in two seconds like how google can since every single one of your pictures is saved to your gmail account.

Wew you are retarded.
>>
>>53060081
>>thinks android is unintuitive and looks bad
>>comes from iOS
Yes, iOS looks much better than android (my nexus uses "marshmallow" maybe this UI is just exceptionally bad)

It is really the only good thing about Apple. To say otherwise only shows how much of a biased, ravenous "anti-apple" autist you are.
>>
don't use google apps. install cyanogenmod and freecygn, but not google apps, and use f-droid instead of play store.

your battery will thank you later
>>
>>53053499
Vanilla android is pretty bloat free. (Nothing that will bog your phone down. Nothing thats removable at least.)
>>
>nexus 6p thread
Has anyone tried the screw'd Android rom? I am thinking of either flashing that or catalysm. I miss paranoid Android
>>
>>53057320
You're supposed to pay for background play poorfag. It's included with red /play music.
>>
>>53054723
>>
File: 554576455346.jpg (417 KB, 750x3056) Image search: [Google]
554576455346.jpg
417 KB, 750x3056
>>53062349
nobody gives a shit. Stop reviving dead threads because you got triggered by a tripfag. Also he's right, the nexus 6p fucking blows. I would know since I used to own one.
>>
another thing I'd like is notifications on price drops for apps on my wishlist, or at least that they'd allow third party apps to do this.
>>
>huwawei
what are you doing op?
>>
>>53053499

Lol I'm just the opposite

I have a rooted LG G3 and I'm going to receive a Nexus 6P in a couple of weeks.
I plan not to open it, and just sell it and buy an iPhone 6s.

Im really bored of Android. Yeah, I'm gonna miss AdAway mostly, and muh file explorers, but iOS has a treat for me that Android doesn't:

On the go music production.

Now that Korg Gadget went universal and I can have it on my phone while sitting in the bus from my home to work and viceversa, I'm willing to sacrifice everything Android has for this. No game, no in-depth customization is as important to me as audio production. I love it.
>>
>>53054474
> Just delete phone.apk

Don't delete everything you aren't using. Especially if you're new to Android and going to root for whatever god damned reason. There are things that are running in the background that the OS needs, and you can fuck your phone and battery pretty bad if you're not careful.
>>
>>53062458
lol
>>
File: aaa.jpg (36 KB, 400x460) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
36 KB, 400x460
>>53062458
>but iOS has a treat for me that Android doesn't:
>On the go music production.
>>
>>53062458
Good, stay away from android you fucking retard.
>>
>>53053499
>>53062460
To reiterate:

1. You aren't smarter than the OS
2. There's no curryshitter garage dev out there that will write a better rom for your phone than the phone's own manufacturer.
3. Unless you absolutely cannot deal with ads, don't bother rooting.

Just trying to help you out OP. If you are actually switching to Android, don't listen to most of these people.
>>
>>53060617
> Sure OP, switch to Google's phone OS, but be sure to not use any software Google made for that OS.

You fucking retard, OP literally posted that he uses google services more than anything.
>>
>>53053499
I went from a 5s to a 6P in January. It is fucking superb. I mostly use the same apps as I was using Google stuff on iOS anyway. I use Clover for 4chan. BaconReader for le/reddit, Pocket Casts for podcasts although I don't really like it and might switch to something else,

If you want a case that isn't bulky the Spigen thin and rugged cases fit great. Also get a tempered glass screen protector, apply it properly and you won't even be able to tell it is there. So fucking good!
>>
File: 1352748837641.gif (2 MB, 187x155) Image search: [Google]
1352748837641.gif
2 MB, 187x155
>>53062458
I actually kekked out loud
>>
>>53060569
Familia just check out the /wg/ homescreen threads, there are some really nice ones there but /g/ homescreen threads are usually shit tier. Anyways just rice that shit to make it look good.
>>
>rooting for adaway
lel just use yr own dns server faggots
>>
Anyone on here a Linux desktop + Android phone fag? This is me.

> Got drawn into the meme years ago coz company I work for is Apple cuk and generation after generation of iPhones have been forced down my throat as business phones.
> Finally made the move from an iPhone to an LG G4 just 2 days ago.
> Had to buy Android phone at my own expense because company is still muh Apple.
> Never used Android before but so glad to get away from Apple's shitty manipulative business practices..

Anyways I was wondering what software/solutions Linux desktop + Android phone fags are using to manage their music collections. Is there a neat way to manage this?

On my Fedora laptop I just use Rhythmbox at the moment, but happy to give something else a go it it would integrate better with the phone..
>>
>>53062460
I meant crap you installed, not system apks.
>>
>>53062687
I uploaded all of my shit to google music.
>>
>>53053819
SMSSecure is for secure SMSing
>>
Fugg I bought the 6p and regret not getting the v10
>>
>>53055708
I have never met someone who carries around an extra battery its a hassle to charge both and no one stares at their smartphone screen for 9 hours. The only time I would use it is if I fucked up the battery this is why I have never swapped a smartphone battery in my life.
>>
>>53054570
Nova pro costs like $5. How poor can you be?
>>
>>53063133
>paying for anything on google storez
>>
>>53053499
protip: unlock the bootloader as soon as you get the phone. that way if you decide to root, flash a rom, or custom recovery, you can do it with out losing all of your data. no, it won't void the warranty.
>>
>>53062785
Thanks.
I thought of doing that. It looks like a easy, convenient solution.
I'm just a bit reluctant coz I don't trust Google..
>>
>>53060481
How is there no alternative to their photo app? There are tons of them you moron
>>
>>53059995
Nice. I think its just an issue with the s5
>>
>>53055770
>large music library
>20gb

Pick one
>>
>>53062510

wow, sorry for that Android guardian

fuck you, you aren't l337 for rooting a fucking phone, using AOSP retarded ROMs that never work as the official ROMs or using a fucking shitty app from FDROID. You're literally an edgelord.

>>53062499

yes, and that's factual
the only fucking competitive platform you have in Android for music making is Caustic 3 and it's shit compared to Nanostudio or Korg Gadget

Plus, wtf are you doin with your customizable ecosystem? I bet that your hobby is ricing it to post it on a /g/ thread and let another neckbeard approve your shitty Nova desktop
>>
>>53062510

>White Knighting an OS

Pathetic.
>>
>>53062511
>2. There's no curryshitter garage dev out there that will write a better rom for your phone than the phone's own manufacturer.
There are some devices that actually have better custom roms that the one included, in my experience with the i9001 and nexus 5
>>
>>53065217
I can't want a nice looking customized phone just for my own enjoyment? Plus, the ad removal is a big deal, and the option to remove potentially tons of bloat
>>
>>53063133
Why should i pay for X when Y is the same shit that does the same thing and it's free.
>>
>>53065237
>nexus 5
3 years old

>i9001
5 years old

Don't be a poorfag and buy an old phone out of necessity, then fucking break it by installing some shit 3rd party OS.
>>
I have a samshit tab pro 8.4 with cm13 and stock kernel. How do I into CPU frequency control? Tried various tools but they only work on CPU 0.
>>
>>53068970
did you try kernel adiutor
>>
>>53054849
Do you seriously keep an extra battery with you. I mean I know its convenient but why the fuck would you need to carry one with you
>>
>>53068970
> stock kernel
There's your problem.
>>
>>53060411
can you type with one hand. I really like the device but some of these huge phones don't feel so comfy using one hand.
>>
>>53063426
I understand not trusting google but google music definably works nice.
>>
>>53054607
Why? MXPlayer is based.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.