[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can an OS be so abysmal? The window manager is useless.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10
File: Leopard_Desktop.png (333 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
Leopard_Desktop.png
333 KB, 800x500
How can an OS be so abysmal?

The window manager is useless. Managing multiple windows is the core function of any modern OS. Yet Apple thinks it's a good idea to force everybody to use a retarded dock that is only able to show an icon for one window. Their workaround is several hackish shortcuts, but managing multiple windows of the same program remains a nightmare. You can't even close programs by closing their windows - how intuitive is that?

The default file manager is laughable. It can't even show the directory tree on the left - apparently this feature is not desirable since there are under-development 3rd party explorers that support this either. There's no way to edit your current path in text format. There's no way to have files open with 1 click.

There's a retarded amount of functions that are performable only with a keyboard. I love shortcuts, but not providing a visual alternative is an insult to UI design - it's ok though, leaving out all the useless buttons gives us more beautiful empty space to stare at, right? You can't even move/cut files without a keyboard.

There's no respectable developer base. Most of the software you can find are simplistic and barebones, and cost anything upwards 10$. It's clear that they're made by a bunch of amateurs in hope of an easy buck.

The Apple community mentality is cancerous. "Why would you want to open files and directories with 1 click?" "Why would you want to remap your keys?" Gee I wonder why the OS is so shit, its users are fine with anything Apple feeds them.
>>
PEBKAC
>>
>>53049253
Nope, OS X is a shit-tier OS in terms of usability and developer support.
>>
>There's no way to edit your current path in text format
Haven't used Mac OS for a while, but I'm pretty sure there was something in the Go menu for that.
>You can't even move/cut files without a keyboard.
Cut/Paste in the Edit menu doesn't work? Or drag-and-drop.
>>
>>53049194
writing so many lies in one post
>>
>>53049322
Yes, forgot to bitch about the dumb global menus. There's zero reason one random part of programs should be global to the whole OS. A huge deal of current programs don't even need menu bars.
>>
Literally everything you mentioned can be changed with third party applications, same as windows. An OS behaves like you want it to behave, every out-of-the-box OS is shit and OSX is no exception. Also I'm sure cmd + g lets you type out a path, you can even run terminal commands via Alfred if you wanted to.
>>
>>53049194
Obvious troll post. Accusations and picture are from about 10 years ago.
OSX is actually a decent OS.
>>
File: 1453959308752.webm (544 KB, 1764x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453959308752.webm
544 KB, 1764x1080
>>53049829

OSX is literally a memeOS
>>
>>53049829
Except OS X doesn't behave how I want it to behave, it's harder to customize than even fucking Windows.

There's no decent key mapping programs

There's no decent alternative DEs

You're stuck with your shitty usability. Your cmd+g is an example of it. Even if it works, it's still arcane and there's zero reason the location bar shouldn't be focusable by a click or tab
>>
>>53049961
This here too. Apple is so focused on making everything unique snow-flake tier that they don't give two shits about usability
>>
File: e12.jpg (49 KB, 676x720) Image search: [Google]
e12.jpg
49 KB, 676x720
>>53049961
>maximizing the second time
lost it
>>
File: 75958393.jpg (6 KB, 317x159) Image search: [Google]
75958393.jpg
6 KB, 317x159
>>53050239
>maximizing
>>
>>53050412
If I wanted to enlarge my current window to maximum height with a useless 1" gap on the right side I would've just done it manually, but keep defending your meme OS.
>>
>>53049396
The point of the Menu bar is that in any program you'll be able to look through all the possible actions, you even can search for them, in the help section, why this bar isnt in the window itself is mostly to save space. You can hide it anyway, if you want to.
>>
in addition to 'why would you want to do X' my favorite is 'i dont know of anyone who does X'
>>
>>53049194
>only able to show an icon for one window
False, you can hide multiple windows behind the app icon.
>managing multiple windows of the same program
depends on if you're used to the OS
>You can't even close programs by closing their windows
because the way the mindset works is differen, you clearly arent used to this, i find it more useful, i have had troubles with office on windows by closing a document and having to reopen the whole program in order to create a new one.
>It can't even show the directory tree on the left
yes, it doesn't show tree views there as it's a sidebar for shortcuts, not navigation, this is mostly dependable on preference, i havent had the need for it, sorry for saying that but its true
>There's no way to edit your current path in text format
False, you can click on Go and click on Go to folder or use cmd+shift+g, which by the way can be changed to a different shortcut, even a plain 'ctrl' one.
>There's no way to have files open with 1 click.
True, I haven't ever personally found an OS that does this and it sounds horrible in case if you want to select multiple files, having them open instantly.
>You can't even move/cut files without a keyboard.
False, you can move by drag and dropping, cutting files isn't a thing in OSX since they got rid of it because of the phylosophy behind 'cutting files', meaning when you cut the files should be gone, even if you wouldn't have pasted it before, moving them in practice is the same as 'cutting'.
>There's no respectable developer base
Untrue, I have found loads of nice looking, well developed free apps, over the years, without them even being on the Mac App Store, you just have to know where to look, on what sites.

I don't want to come over as an Apple shill or whatever, just take my answers into consideration.
>>
>>53049194
>There's no way to have files open with 1 click
Technically, you can do this, hold right click, move mouse down to open and release the right click. Total clicks = 1; File is open.
>>
>>53049194
>How can an OS be so abysmal?
dunno think the same
>The window manager is useless. Managing multiple windows is the core function of any modern OS. Yet Apple thinks it's a good idea to force everybody to use a retarded dock that is only able to show an icon for one window. Their workaround is several hackish shortcuts, but managing multiple windows of the same program remains a nightmare. You can't even close programs by closing their windows - how intuitive is that?
haha yeah its so true. also windows not having the close button deactivated, you cant close them only minimize
>The default file manager is laughable. It can't even show the directory tree on the left - apparently this feature is not desirable since there are under-development 3rd party explorers that support this either. There's no way to edit your current path in text format. There's no way to have files open with 1 click.
yup, can confirm
>There's a retarded amount of functions that are performable only with a keyboard. I love shortcuts, but not providing a visual alternative is an insult to UI design - it's ok though, leaving out all the useless buttons gives us more beautiful empty space to stare at, right? You can't even move/cut files without a keyboard.
yeah, muh features

>The Apple community mentality is cancerous. "Why would you want to open files and directories with 1 click?" "Why would you want to remap your keys?" Gee I wonder why the OS is so shit, its users are fine with anything Apple feeds them.
speaking from my soul
>>
>>53049961
>only Safari does this
I have to agree, this is so stupid
>>
>>53051349
It's not stupid. If you want a full sized browser window don't fucking opt click. + has always fit the window to content
>>
>>53051476
Keep using Transmission.
>>
>>53051168
>Eating the bait this fucking hard

:^)
>>
lots of poorfag whining as usual for apple threads
>>
>>53049194
I don't know anon. Used it for all of 10 minutes and found it pretty horrible to use.
I think I'll just stick to Windows, Fedora, and Mint.
>>
>>53049194
I had to use xcode once....... this shit is so fucked up. wanted to go to the compiler settings didnt find them..... I HAD TO GOOGLE TO KNOW WHERE SHIT IS HIDDEN IN XCODE. MUH USER FRIENDLY. MUH FEATURES. SHIT IT COMPLICATED AND UNINTUITIVE AS HELL BUT MACFAGS STILL THINK THEY ARE SUPERIOR.

same with other software. did it on linux instead and congratulated them for their 2k useless iShit machine.
>>
>>53049194
> install Spectacle
> Now OS X is the best OS
>>
best OS for a laptop tho
>>
>>53049194
Personally, I much prefer the keyboard shortcut approach. I find having to always use my mouse on Windows quite obnoxious.
Similarly, I hate how closing windows also quits the process on Windows. I much prefer being able to do it via ⌘Q.
You can cycle through different windows of the same application using ⌘` (above TAB key in US keyboard layout, can be changed in sys pref)
I also use an application called HyperDock which gives the same functionality as AeroPeek/Preview on Windows. It's paid sw though.
To manually enter path in finder use ⌘⇧G. Navigate using ⌘+up/down arrows.
If you're wondering what any shortcut is just type it into the help menu of the application, it's in the menu bar.
It's pretty normal to hate an OS you're not used to. I hate Windows too.
>>
I much prefer window management in Snow Leopard to Windows 7 or 8. Maps Expose and All Windows to hot corners and you can immediately find any window. Also use spaces.
>>
>>53050104
>There's no decent alternative DEs

What DE *is* acceptable? You can run pretty much any GNU/Linux one.
>>
>>53051648
>hurr osx is for morons
>too retarded to open a terminal
>>
At least OS X is 200x better than the clusterfuck known as Windows
>>
>>53052053
I have no problem with Linux or anything that works in a straightforward way without pointless trickery that ends up complicating things
>>
>close fridge door
>it turns off
>>
>>53052425
If you don't like it, just don't use it. You can install any OS you want on your Mac.
>>
>>53049194
Plus:
> in some cases cannot press a button with keyboard only. You *have* to use the mouse.
> in some cases cannot close window without mouse
>>
>>53052419
In what way?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-unequivocally-better-than-os-x-on-apples-new-macbook/
>>
>>53052840
>> in some cases cannot press a button with keyboard only. You *have* to use the mouse.
Literally what.
>> in some cases cannot close window without mouse
Literally when.
>>
>>53053042
>Alex king, a computer science student
kek
>Even when I turn Transparency off in OS X, Mission Control isn't completely smooth. Here, even after some Aero Glass transparency has been added in, everything is smooth.
>everything is smooth
Control Center has animations, OSX has animations, Windows multiple desktop doesn't have animations, how can Windows then be considered smooth.
This kid has had his MacBook for not even a few months and already ran back to Windows, he probably didn't quit any app on osx. Winbabbies are so dumb.
>>
>>53053133
No animations >>>> animations
>>
>>53053133
>mactoddler defends his playskool OS animations because he does nothing with it besides open and close windows to entertain his tiny rat brain
>>
File: image.png (128 KB, 1201x296) Image search: [Google]
image.png
128 KB, 1201x296
>>53053271
>winbabbies defend their ribbon playskool giant colorful baby buttons
>>
Apple invent their own proprietary solutions to basic stuff.
Back in the day you couldn't even copy on the iPhone.

Apple have perfected how to entice normies with shiny hard and software with the simplest features disguised in an "innovative" ecosystem.

Apple is cancer.
>>
File: toddler OS.gif (511 KB, 620x187) Image search: [Google]
toddler OS.gif
511 KB, 620x187
>>53053296
>ribbon playskool giant colorful baby buttons
>>
>>53053063
I encounter both of these daily when signing into a wifi network that uses a captive portal.

If you don't use tab to traverse fields, you're a mouse user and won't experience stuff like this.
>>
>>53053296
>implying
>>
File: wewlad.png (22 KB, 798x134) Image search: [Google]
wewlad.png
22 KB, 798x134
>>53053296
>not using linux
it literally just werks
>>
File: 1453674181992.gif (2 MB, 280x296) Image search: [Google]
1453674181992.gif
2 MB, 280x296
>>53053368
>>
>>53053296
Functionality, plus you can hide everything that is shown there if you wanted to, make it appear only on mouse over instance.
>>
Mac OS X 10.6 was good.
After that it started to get shittier, especially when they started to incorporate "social" stuff.
>>
What kind of mongoloid uses nested folders in the sidebar? Do you still use the Start menu instead of Win+<query>? If you want drag and drop in the same window install a proper tabbed file manager. You can get them for every major OS.

I also don't get whats so difficult about Cmd+Q instead of clicking the X on a Windows or Linux application. Its the same amount of effort.

Literally everything else you're complaining about could've been fixed by googling the answer instead of whinging about how you haven't adequately learned how to use the tools given to you.
>>
File: 1455772164709.png (41 KB, 1000x668) Image search: [Google]
1455772164709.png
41 KB, 1000x668
>>53053368
>>
>>53053368
>colors are for babbies

And this is why UI design in linfag world is so abysmal.
>>
>>53053368
At least the dock serves a good use (opening applications, window management)

Literally all I use the Ribbon menu on Explorer for is the "map network drive" button.
>>
I FUCKING CAN'T DEAL WITH THE FUCKING AUTISM YOU FUCKING UNDERAGE FAGGOTS EVERY OS SUCKS RIGHT WE KNOW IT!!!!! STOP BRAGGING ABOUT YOUR FAVOURITE OS, DO YOUR STUFF, FIND A HOBBY, BUT STOP SPREADING CANCER. GET OVER YOUR FUCKING OS, NOBODY CARES, THESE ARE JUST FUCKING COMPUTERS JESUS CHRIST
>>
>linux: wow, i'm so productive using many shortcuts
>OS X: fucking hackish sortcuts....

>linux: hey, this FM is good once you learn it
>OS X: FUCK LEARNING

>linux: wow man, finally a modern OS without a million fucking toolbars
>OS X: WHERE ARE MY FUCKING TOOLBARS WHAT IS THIS 2016? BRING BACK 2004.

kek

>why would you want to remap your keys
that's literally doable with literally GNU/free software

moron

There are actual problems with OS X's UI that need to be fixed, like the trackpad not supporting fucking middle click using stock software and many menus being dynamically generated, and then there's your trivial shit.
>>
>>53055504
Middeclick is deprecated. Only programmer nerds and gamers want three button mice these days.

Macs are made for non virgins
deal with it
>>
>>53055532
>middle click is deprecated
What the fuck?
Like actually what the fuck. In most programs it can be used for quickly scrolling. I use it for copy paste, and since I do a bit of cad work for my job it lets you slide viewport in inventor which beats the fuck out of having to bring up the little cube thing on the side
>>
>>53051658
this senpai

Spectacle is god
>>
>>53055676
Just swipe, you fucking dinosaur.

>i use it for copy paste

Uh huh, have you heard of cmd+c cmd+v?

Let me guess, you open tabs with middle click instead of cmd click and close them with anything but cmd+w? Use vi and rid yourself of your retarded mousey habits.
>>
>>53055710
>using touchshit instead of mouse buttons

Kill yourself.
>>
>>53053762
What is this meme?
>>
>>53049961
That would drive me crazy. How is this in any way a good idea?
>>
>>53049194
I had always wished OSX had sticky windows, but spaces was great. No *nix OS should be without some sort of pager. I never had issues with the dock. There are several different ways you can display files and folders in the directory. I want to say the detailed list has arrows for folders you can click on. It's been awhile since I've used OSX. Ripping on shortcuts is retarded since you don't really need to use them to get around. There's plenty of garbage Windows software developers looking to make a buck too. It just seems like you found a PPC Mac in a dumpster, got upset by how much better a 10 year old version of OSX looks compared to Windows 10 and came to /g/ to bitch about it.
>>
>>53057601
It really is pretty abysmal.
It switches between "standard state" and "user state", basically the default size and the size you decide to give it. But that one switches between 3 sizes. Honestly, it's a fucking mystery. I'm really not sure why they've insisted on keeping this mechanism, I doubt anyone thinks it's good.
I use a third party app that allows me to maximise using either window snapping at the top of the screen or swiping up on the title bar.
>>
>>53049276
Remember when you was a kid, riding your bikes around the neighborhood with your friends? At some point you inevitably switch bikes, and it feels weird because the seat is at a different height, the handle bars are angled differently, etc.
You're declaring your friends' bike to be shit because it's not set up exactly like yours. I'm the big picture it does the same shit, but because it doesn't work the way you expect, you think it's wrong.
>>
>>53052840
So fucking untrue
>>
The only reason you need to access the directory tree in Windows is because the file system organization (e.g. C:/Windows) is such an utter fucking nightmare that you can't do anything without digging through several arbitrary levels of folder hierarchy.

In OS X, applications and system files are sanely organized in a handful of standard locations, so that you usually find what you're looking for within 2-4 folders down from the root level. Plus the file names are much easier to search for with keywords, because they don't use cryptic truncated MS-DOS style file names as in Windows.

The Finder also has a three-pane view for better visual navigation through folder hierarchies.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.