[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there ANY reason other then being a pretentious dork for having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10
File: 1440811417464.png (6 KB, 272x72) Image search: [Google]
1440811417464.png
6 KB, 272x72
Is there ANY reason other then being a pretentious dork for having Linux as your home personal OS?
>>
Literally none
>>
>>53035245
Is there ANY reason other then being a pretentious dork for having Windows as your home personal OS?
>>
>>53035245
What if you don't really need windows, and you don't want to spend time pirating it, or buying it/a mac?
>>
Just go out and buy a pc installed, or if you make one yourself buy a license. It's not much money when you actually draw a salary rather getting allowance from your parents/the government. I guess by now both those things are interchangeable
>>
Most people don't "need" a particular OS and it's just down to their lame-ass nerdy hobbies and how bad they are at computers
>>
>>53035245
>>53035256
>irrational linux hate
Every tech literate person knows how to use Linux, have it on their home server or something like that.
You're obviously dumb retarded gayming kiddies or just plain stupid mindless consumer garbage that clearly does not belong in /g/
Just do us all a favor and fuck off
>>
>>53035262
literally a million.
>>
>>53035245
Stability?
Control?
>>
>>53035245
F R E E
R
E
E
>>
>>53035393
There's literally NO POINT to owning a desktop or laptop computer if you do not have PHOTOSHOP, OFFICE, GAMES, AND AUTOCAD

If you don't have ANY OF THAT SOFTWARE you are COMPLETELY UNEMPLOYABLE because LITERALLY ALL JOBS require at least one of those programs
>>
>>53035387
>literally a million
>can't name one

/thread and mate
>>
>>53035525
I like to CAPITALIZE some of the WORDS in my POST.
>>
>>53035377
I'm an actual scientist that uses my universities facilities and I don't need a home server cause I don't have a mainframe. I do use Debian to use IBM SPSS so fuck off nigger
>>
>>53035245
I'm a cuck so an African Linux distro like Ubuntu seemed perfect.
>>
Linux for everything but gaming is my personal preference. Windows for gaming. Having Linux installed doesn't automatically mean your a pretentious asshole but most are regardless of their OS of choice
>>
>>53035245
Yes, it's not a literal botnet like Windows.
>>
-Windows font renering can't compete.
-A working package manger that will keep my software updated as well as my OS.
-Map my extra mouse buttons to scale and expo so i get a lot of multitasking without using keyboard shortcuts
-middle click copy/paste
-OOTB SSH
-Better touchpad drivers than Windows (this made me remove Windows on my laptop)
-Full LLVM stack support
-HUD support
-Tabs on file explorer since it's not the 90's anymore

I could try and spend days tweaking and installing shady software on Windows to get it working like i want to but i don't have the time to waste on that, i need a OS that just works, no "installing update 4 of 536" bullshit.
>>
>>53035789
>>53035796
>>53035843
/thread
>>
Doesn't come with the Windows botnet, that's a good enough reason alone.
>>
>>53035696
>Lying on the internet
>>
>>53035245
I prefer the Cinnamon DE to Windows' UI. Not even kidding, I regret still having to boot Windows to run some Windows specific software and muh games.
Mint with Cinnamon actually does a lot of things right out of the box like font rendering, custom shortcuts and whatnot.
I can pirate any random shit off the internet without a second thought about Windows malware.
Doesn't do shit behind my back like silently download Windows 10, collect "telemetry" data or install updates without asking me.
>>
File: 1452399257167.png (250 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
1452399257167.png
250 KB, 700x600
>>53035245
Yes, it's not a fucking spyware. Now unless you are going to force /v/ memes, move along
>>
>>53035245
Effortlessly keeping your software up to date.
Doing software development in pretty much any language that isn't C# without pulling your hair out.
Malware concerns are minuscule.
Software from official repos cleanly installs and un-installs ALWAYS.
Doesn't bloat and fill up your hard drive for no god damned reason.
Only thing it really lacks is games, in which case just set up dual boot like I have.
>>
>>53035262
Games
>>
File: Capture.png (54 KB, 779x565) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
54 KB, 779x565
>>53035525
>>
>>53035525

>>53036101 here, you talk like an angry indian, not even kidding?
>>
>>53035525
Holy shit Pajeet, calm down, Microsoft won't pay you more if you use caps lock
>>
File: 1434382435078.gif (496 KB, 500x455) Image search: [Google]
1434382435078.gif
496 KB, 500x455
>>53035525
>literally all jobs require muh games
>>
File: just.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
just.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>53035909
>>53035909
LOL I am a doctor fag rag
>>
Because I like it. Isn't that enough?
>>
>>53035245
yeah it's a better OS
>>
>>53036101
>In india every 1.2 billion people get raped 72,000 times over the course of their life.
>in America, only 300 million people will get raped, a slightly larger number of times.
>This is somehow worse.
Curry nigger logic.
>>
>>53035525
>Photoshop
There's free alternatives online. I think it's called Pixlr.
>Office
There's open office, re-re. It can open Word files, but funny enough, Word can't open .odf files. (But Google Drive can, which you can also use.
>Games
Some games run on Linux. Minecraft/WarThunder to name some.
>Autocad
Is there NO open-source Cad creater? I doubt it. Use Tinkercad for simple shit.

Go back to your Biriyani.
>>
>>53036283
>>53036101
He assumed 1 in 3 were reported. I would highly highly doubt that.

A country that treats their women like garbage is not likely to have policies and police that respond well to those.
I'd guess closer to 1 in 10 to 1 in 20. For math I would have used 1/15.
>>
File: richard_stallman.jpg (127 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
richard_stallman.jpg
127 KB, 500x333
>>53036288
>Pixlr
>free
>>
>>53035377
If Windows is so good, why is Linux used to run Teamspeak servers?
If Windows is so good, why was Android invented? Android is, at it's core, a Linux system.
>>
>>53036365
Android runs one program from Linux and replaces the rest with its own in-house solutions.
>>
Linux ruins lives.
https://youtu.be/5Qj8p-PEwbI
>>
I'll take the bait.

Using Linux as a hipster computer statement is arguably Fedora tier. But just as classy dudes and business can still pull off fedoras and look respectable, so can a well educated and non autistic Linux user who stands by the morally upright view of free computation. Free as in freedom. As in the knowledge and education behind what his complex code does with and without his explicit permission. He is given the option to audit all of the code that he runs on his machine to check for bugs, malicious code or code that wasn't explicitly advertised for the product.

In the same way you read your ingredient labels and detest fluoridated water, he detests closed source ingredients in his computer and wants to know what is and isn't being performed.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with this providing that the user doesn't take it to literal autistic levels such as shaming others who don't agree with his moral views; act entitled because of his moral views; pester others into accepting his moral views(read: evangelist of GNU/Linux)

Again, I know it was bait from the beginning. Oh well.
>>
>Old ass computer
>Don't want OS holding my hand or denying me access toy files
>Don't want a bunch of preinstalled bullshit
>Don't want unnecessary drivers \programs taking up space
>Want full power in terminal
>Want to be able to fully and directly access Linux back end devices like smartphones
>Want a lightweight OS that boots under 5 seconds on most SSDs
>Want community driver support for abandoned devices
>Want the best version of open source tools and not shoddy Windows ports
>Don't want upgrades shoved down my throat
>Want security
>>
>>53035245
It is faster then windows since my motherboard also contains a linux loader.

This is why fast boot works with windows. The bios contains a a bit on the kernel that launches before the boot loader is used. This method is faster.

Since this is in my BIOS, linux is supported by all drivers used in debian and is 3 seconds faster on the same hardware. I also look the terminal feeling. I can always say there is a workaround to any issues I run into.
>>
File: Capture.png (77 KB, 761x557) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
77 KB, 761x557
Serious question here:

Why do curryniggers defend their OS so hard? Is it because one of their kind is now the CEO of Microsoft?
>>
>>53036493
>I also look the terminal feeling. I can always say there is a workaround to any issues I run into.

I always see some tools in bash that can aid in building from source.
Most of these tools are advanced but for software development it is very useful.

You would not use linux/distro if you are not going to use any terminal. You are then wasting power. I understand security is strong but without harnessing the power of linux then windows would be more fitting for GUI fags.
>>
I'm running it off a USB flash drive, reluctant to install it yet. It's cool but it's pretty bland, it's like how I imagine Soya or some health food substitute for something unhealthy tastes. Windows just feels more human.
>>
>>53036528
They see the world different. They see rice where there is fruit, they see free OS as their cow.
>>
Security (I use an actually secure setup not mainstream trash)
>>
>>53035245
It's free.
It will always be free.
Security holes are generally patched as soon as they're discovered.
You're not nickel and dimed for every feature that should have been included with the OS.
You don't have to worry about installing Trojans disguised as pay software you downloaded from bittorrent.
You're not sending loads of "telemetry data" back to a company you don't trust.
You can continue using decades old hardware albeit with a possible kernel compile if those modules aren't mainstream anymore.
Puppy can still run on a 486 ffs
There are dozens upon dozens of alternatives for any given type of software including desktop environments so you have plenty of choices.
Linux on x86 runs the same as on ARM, MIPS, PPC, SPARC or whatever obscure architecture your coffee machine uses.
There's no reason for developers to make detrimental updates for the sake of slapping a new label on OS and screwing customers out of more money.
OS requirements are based on hardware and not some arbitrary date meant to screw customers into buying new hardware they don't really need.
>>
>>53036534
>bland

You know you can physical change the environment to make it how you want.

This includes software, built in scripting mods, and the interfaces feels and looks.

If you look at extension you will find many can improve functions and looks dramatically.
>>
>>53036554
>Security holes are generally patched as soon as they're discovered.

That is after the 3 months attackers took to even find them.
Linux is complex meaning security is there.
>>
>>53036053
Underage faggot
>>
File: fresh-cow-urine-3017749.jpg (432 KB, 2197x1463) Image search: [Google]
fresh-cow-urine-3017749.jpg
432 KB, 2197x1463
>>53036541
>as their cow.

>>mfw I actually get the reference
>>
>>53035245
Is there ANY reason other then being a pretentious dork for having custom built PC instead of a pre-built?
>>
>>53035245
Sure, if you like it or it otherwise helps you maximize the fulfillment you get out of your technology. The only pretentious retards here are OS partisans like you, it's all about the right tool for the right job.

>>53035393
NT is quite stable if you aren't a gullible dumbshit who downloads every piece of sketchy shit they see on the internet. It's definitely less modular though, although you can lobotomize services at will and cut down the system if you know what you're doing.
>>
I don't though. I use it on my laptop where I do everything now. My desktop is only for games and CAD now.
>>
I only use Windows for printing cause it's just easier.

I use linux for browsing, coding, 4chan and VNs.
>>
>>53035245
is there literally ANY reason for liking bananas more than apples?
>>
>>53036829
Epson makes Linux drivers for their printers. They work fine for an all-in-one printer connected to a Linux machine.
>>
>>53037019
I've tried that but I need to figure it out a bit before I try again. Cups was being a faggot and wouldn't grant me administration. I have the drivers and everything for my epson.
>>
File: usingWord.png (2 KB, 337x69) Image search: [Google]
usingWord.png
2 KB, 337x69
>>53036288
>but funny enough, Word can't open .odf files
>>
>>53036580
I truly do not understand the correlation between PC video games and being underage. Am I supposed to suddenly get a new hobby because it's not proper to enjoy video games when I turn twenty five or some shit?
>>
>>53037972
I truly do not understand the correlation between pooping in you're diapers and being underage. Am I supposed to suddenly get a new pants because it's not proper to poop in you're pants when I turn five or some poop?
>>
>>53035245
Its far easier to program on
>>
>>53035525
what job would require both cad and photoshop?
>>
>>53035525
Here's your reply, master baiter.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.