[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Honest question: is the "AMD is good" meme just going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: amd.png (45 KB, 2000x770) Image search: [Google]
amd.png
45 KB, 2000x770
Honest question: is the "AMD is good" meme just going way over my head, or does the company buy shills to shit talk nVidia?

Driver errors for countless number of users, zero acknowledgement of said issues, TWO released drivers in total in the year 2015. the list goes on.

How is this shit company still in business? I fell for the 390 meme, and now I'm stuck with a $400 paperweight.
>>
>>53019829
nice shilling there
>>
>>53019829
did your 390 die?
also what applications have you seen driver issues in?
>>
>>53019845
Browsing, games, Adobe CS, watching YouTube, watching videos on MPC

RMA'd the card and had same issues on both, tried Windows 8.1, went back and forth with support for weeks, had two of my smarter friends look at it.

The problem is that every forum has hundreds of people asking what's wrong, and no one having any solutions. It's just bad driver support, it's insane.
>>
>>53019829

/g/ is to /v/ what AMD is to Nintendo.

This is one of the biggest AMD shilling places there is. It will go out of its way to spread FUD against intell and nvidia, but the countless times AMD royally fucks up? Nah, that's literally OKAY.

And yes, you fell for the meme, because what the amd marketers didn't tell you is that the 390 only beats the 970 when both are at stock AND at resolutions from 1440p beyond.

What they didn't tell you is that the 970 is one of the best overclockers out there and can easily overclock to stock 980 levels of performance or very close to it at least. The 390 does not compete with the 980 in the slightest.

And yeah, you can try your luck on their forums, but this is what's going to happen:

https://community.amd.com/thread/183430?start=0&tstart=0

They are simply going to close it and pretend nothing's ever happened.

Return this POS and buy a 970. You'll thank me later.
>>
File: 1452748459885.gif (2 MB, 348x234) Image search: [Google]
1452748459885.gif
2 MB, 348x234
>>53019894
shilling
>>
>>53019912
AMD marketer damage control
>>
File: shills.jpg (74 KB, 768x429) Image search: [Google]
shills.jpg
74 KB, 768x429
>>53019894
That's what I figured...

Unfortunately, the retailer will absolutely not take it back, and AMD passed the buck onto MSI, so maybe they'll let me do an exchange.
>>
>>53019922
Take them to small claims court if all else fails.
>>
>>53019894
>>53019917
>>53019922

Could you be any more obvious, OP? This is shit tier samefagging. Who the hell prepares a response like >>53019894 to a thread like this. Same format with single sentence lines and everything. Too obvious. 0/10. Try again in a week.
>>
>>53019934
Which of the three large multinational corporations should I take to court? The retailer, the distributor, or the manufacturer?
>>
File: s-samefag!.jpg (359 KB, 1889x937) Image search: [Google]
s-samefag!.jpg
359 KB, 1889x937
>>53019939
>muh delusions
>>
>>53019829
AMD>nVidia if you want more bang for your buck.

But since most of /g/ are manchildren, they NEED every single FPS. See: Windows.
>>
>>53019951

All three of them. They will help you there anyway. See what your country's law says about returns first.
>>
so did I get lucky with my 290X and 6970, or did OP get shafted by MSI?
>>
File: 1446510812491.png (190 KB, 500x504) Image search: [Google]
1446510812491.png
190 KB, 500x504
>>53019965
>they NEED every single FPS

No yeah, people aren't buying expensive GPUs for more performance, they are buying them to run linux of course, and specially AMD at that.

>>53019972
I know that the 290 had its fair share of trouble, something regarding faulty ram IIRC. I think they are fine now, dunno. But the 390 is a total disaster from what I've seen.
>>
>>53019972

GPUs these days rarely have issues. AMD or nvidia, doesn't matter. And most retailers just replace your product with a single phone call.

Drivers mostly work on both brands of cards. But IMO nvidia's software is a lot more intrusive with their annoying ass "GAME READY DRIVER!" notifications. AMD doesn't release as many drivers because they usually get it right the first time.

Back 5+ years ago they had driver problems, hence the meme. But they turned their shit around while nvidia just tried to milk it and actually AMD probably releases more stable drivers these days.
>>
If I'm going to 'tis it up, I want the best fucking highest quality autism.

Going to upgrade for Rise of the Tomb Raider and Quantum Break.
>>
>>53019829
>"AMD is good" meme
Is that a thing? I mean I prefer AMD over Nvidia but I thought I'm in the minority here
>>
>>53020033
>But IMO nvidia's software is a lot more intrusive with their annoying ass "GAME READY DRIVER!" notifications

What a load of bullshit. The thing doesn't even bother you, it just stays there in the background never to be seen and you have to go out of your way to open it, or just look at the hidden symbol and see if there's an exclamation mark on it, which means there's a driver update.

And that's IF you use geforce experience AT ALL, because you certainly don't need to.
>>
>>53019881
>Browsing, games, Adobe CS, watching YouTube, watching videos on MPC
Never happened to me, PEBKAC
>>53020033
>GPUs these days rarely have issues
Intel still has issues that are never ever fixed
>>
Yes, it's a meme.

I doubt they're paid shills, most likely people with buyers remorse trying to rope other people into making the same poor choice so that they feel better about themselves.
>>
>>53020033
>But they turned their shit around while nvidia just tried to milk it and actually AMD probably releases more stable drivers these days.
>imfuckingplying

The only problem nvidia's had as of late was with the windows 10 advent, you know, the same time frame when the 390 was literally unusable with widespread issues when it came out, only to have Crimson kill GPUs right after?
>>
>>53019881
>Browsing, games, Adobe CS, watching YouTube, watching videos on MPC
works on my machine
for real though, ran two single 7950's, both in crossfire, and now a 290x and never once had a problem that isnt my fault
I bet you're just dumb
>>
>>53019996
>390 is a total disaster

I bought my Sapphire r9 390 not 3 weeks ago, popped it in, installed the Catalyst Crimson 16.1 Drivers. Zero fucking problems.
>>
>>53020821
Well, not sure what to say pal.

Doesn't take much intelligence to download and install a driver. I even use DDU to make sure they don't overlap.
>>
>>53020262
>nvidia ON THE REGULAR releases drivers that cause problems if not outright break products
>this hasnt happened to AMD for fucking years
>the only leg up Nvidia used to have was in multigpu support, now even Nvidia is shit at it so it doesnt matter
>AMD cards from last year compete with 3 generations of Nvidia cards swapping blows at every pricepoint below premium if not BTFO of Nvidia entirely
>290x BTFO 970
>380x BTFO 960
>380/285/280x BTFO 950/770/680
if you're spending more than $300 on a gpu that isnt a 980ti you're objectively wrong
>>
>NVIDIOTs are too stupid to install a driver
>>
>>53020854
>even this lying amd dick sucking gigantic world class shill prefers the 980 ti over the fury x

Why did Fiji bomb so hard?
>>
>>53019829
AMD used to be good, now it's users are just MAD because Intel is the king. Ending in 873 confirms it.
>>
>>53020847
What OS?
>>
>>53020869

Not him buy fury is clearly better at 4k.

980ti is better at pushing stupid high 120hz fps at 1080p. At higher resolutions a fury is better.

Aside from that AMD just flat out beats nvidia at every price point.
>>
>>53019894
>What they didn't tell you is that the 970 is one of the best overclockers out there

and what you're not telling them is that the 970 has memory issues on *existing games* at 1080p, never mind games that are going to be coming out with higher memory requirements within the next few years

the 970 of all nvidia cards is an awful choice if you don't plan to sell it when nvidia announce their new line of cards because it's going to be a severe bottleneck

>>53019996
>No yeah, people aren't buying expensive GPUs for more performance, they are buying them to run linux of course, and specially AMD at that.

which is utter bullshit because the state of amd drivers on linux is a complete joke and has been for close to a decade

the only thing amd has over nvidia on the linux driver front is that vsync at least works on both monitors with amd's proprietary driver

>>53020869
>Why did Fiji bomb so hard?

it only bombed because nvidia showed that they were willing to throw their high end enthusiast customers (i.e., anyone who purchases titans) under the bus to gain slightly more market dominance with
>>
>>53019829
there's a reason amd has fallen under 20% market share despite being "the better price to performance brand with superior hardware".

i learned my lesson with amd a long time ago. it's not worth it to save a few bucks to end up with something that has constant issues. i made the mistake of buying their flagship single gpu a while back. lets just say the card fell short of my expectations and the day one software problems were still present exactly 3 years later when they decided to drop support for the card.
>>
File: Capture.png (20 KB, 579x477) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
20 KB, 579x477
I use this too backup peoples data and fix up hdd's
I'm going to 4GB ram but its is AMD cpu with Nvidia gpu even though it's just a old 8500GT it can play youtube videos in 1080p without issues
>>
>>53022115
Also is it normal for a 8500GT to idle at 60c
>>
>>53021220
>it only bombed because nvidia showed that they were willing to throw their high end enthusiast customers (i.e., anyone who purchases titans) under the bus

lol you act like there weren't previous titans and they weren't $1000 as well
>>
File: image.png (141 KB, 439x290) Image search: [Google]
image.png
141 KB, 439x290
>>53019829
We all learn best from experience anyway. I bought an AMD card once. Never, ever again...
>>
>>53020877
MenuetOS
>>
>>53022188
I went from a HD5870 to a gtx 670.
So much regret.
>>
3.5 SHILLS

4GB MEANS 4GB YOU KEKS
>>
I tried to program opengl on linux using amd and its "drivers".

the linux driver doesnt work.

They dont have linux tools to check whats happening on the card while coding.

That makes them useless for serious developers, gg amd. Never again.
>>
>>53019829
AMD's shitty drivers fried my Sapphire 290 Tri-X, I sold the cooler for a few bucks and ordered a 980Ti, feels good :)
>>
>>53022188

you know all these posts about amd being jews are false flagging, because come on,

>jews
>not having market dominance
>>
>>53022845
Kek, love this meme.
>>
>>53022882
Crimson locked my fans at 20% and killed my card brah
>>
>>53022876
hi, /pol/
>>
>>53019829
The comparison will always be quality vs quantity. If you want the better product you have to go Nvidia but if you want the value for your money and you don't mind dealing with anywhere from no problems to basically non existant drivers then you go AMD, trying to say one or the other is better is irrelevant because everyone is looking for different things in their card. Personally I buy AMD, because right now a 390 looks to last 3 to 4 years assuming the card doesn't die.

And as for the issues you might be having, there is an infinite number of variables in every build. Is it possibly your OS? Do you have hardware compatibility issues? Are you just a fucking retard? Only glorious Lucifer knows the answer to these questions my son
>>
>>53022154
>lol you act like there weren't previous titans and they weren't $1000 as well

reading comprehension motherfucker

the issue isn't that previous titan's existed or that titans are expensive, it's that nvidia launched the 980 ti (a card that performs almost identically to the titan x) just 3 months after titan x hit the market fucking over everybody that bought a full priced titan x, since, you know, if they had waited 3 months they could have got the same card with less memory for $400 less

>but but the 780 ti beat the original titan

you may be asking, and sure, it did, but the 780 ti came out *9* months after the original titan, and the original 780 came out *3* months after the original titan and was worse in benchmarks, the original titan was the pinnacle of gaming gpus and no nvidia gpu came close for 9 months, whereas anyone buying a single titan x after the 980 ti launched showed that they have more money than sense

what nvidia did means that the titan series has planned obsolescence as short as 3 months if amd has a worthy competitor
>>
>>53022890
Because thermal throttling and shutdown doesn't exist yet :')
>>
See here you bickering children... The tech race towards highest profits, max efficiency, and bloated advertising is a direct result of YOU. Yes, each and every one of you. The aims and goals of computing have their roots in military and the space race. There is a huge discrepancy between average consumer goods and professional applications. Currently, on the average consumer PC end Nvidia has a significant presence. Yet current Playstation, Xbox, industrial, and government usage is largely exclusive to AMD.

It honestly is not a matter of which is better, but what you want to do with it. You expect AMD to cater to the public outside of their largest stakeholders? A few IT people might get the axiom of the problem, but you simple users are quite frankly clueless to the chasm as it exists in the business world.
>>
my 290x works
i don't have any complaints currently

last time i had issues was when rage came out and amd's last minute opengl tweaks made things terrible
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.