[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This thought is killing me. Is the universe programmed to shutdown
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8
File: Selection_004.png (2 KB, 414x178) Image search: [Google]
Selection_004.png
2 KB, 414x178
This thought is killing me.
Is the universe programmed to shutdown once we discover it's digital?
>>
No and no.
>>
>>53018632
Why would the universe care if we discovered its digital roots?
>>
no, why would it (or the programmer) care?
>>
>>53018662
Maybe we're just a research project to find out how long would it take for a being to develop and discover he's living in a digital universe.

No need to waster power after they got their data.
>>
guys i think i fucked up bad

i was looking at the moon and accidentally stack overflowed and now the moon is gone HELP
>>
>>53018632
Why, would you add that as a condition?

What makes this more worrying than
n=0
for being in universe.beings:
if being.masturbating:
n = n +1
if n >= 1000000:
sys.exit(1)
>>
follow the white rabbit
>>
where do these threads come from?

like, what compels people to:
1) be so ignorant and arrogant to think they know what they're talking about when they're dumb as shit
2) make some shit up on the spot that incredibly stupid yet somehow passes their "stupid shit filter"
3) decide that their moronic idea is actually genius but was somehow missed by people who spend their lives on that stuff
4) decide it's so important they have to share it
>>
>>53018753
The same gene that compels people to post on 4chan
>>
>>53018632
mental limitations on codemonkeys that can't think ideas by themselves
>>
>>53018762
really? I thought it was just a mixture of pot and stupidity.
>>
>>53018753
light is quantized, which could be interpreted as digital.
same goes for the spin of atomic particles
>>
You can tell this thread is just a fantasy, because if the universe was written in a programming language, it would be C.
>>
>>53018982
>Early universe didn't even have type checking

No wonder we have so many gender fluid SJW's these days
>>
>>53018632

What would happen if the program crashed?
>>
>>53018708
oh fuck

someone help this man!
>>
>>53019013
kek
>>
>>53018753
These threads come from creativity. It's not the universal truth. It's food for thought.

The universe being digital is plausible(or can you prove it's not?).

IF the universe IS digital, it was created by someone for a reason, therefore it's reasonable to assume that once the goal has been achieved, there's no point in going on in the process.

Joining it all together, using one of the many reasons for why someone would simulate an universe(in this case, to find out the average time for an universe to evolve a being capable of discovering the nature of his univere), and you get this thread.

It's a simple, logical, mental process. You just lack it.
>>
>>
>>53019383
>Joining it all together, using one of the many reasons for why someone would simulate an universe(in this case, to find out the average time for an universe to evolve a being capable of discovering the nature of his universe), and you get this thread.
Just to finish my line of thought: the wording of the OP is assuming that what I said is real to be intentionally provoking.
It's not meant to imply that our universe is digital or it will fucking actually shutdown once someone finds out that it is(if it is).
>>
If you guys found out the universe was digital, would you want to go to the real world or stay in here?

The caveat is that you don't know whether your life will be better or worse in the real universe, you have to decide before you know what the real universe is like
>>
>>53019467
If I could get out to the "real world" as a physical body, I would probably do it.

Otherwise, this universe still looks interesting enough, especially once we find out we can actually hack it at an universal scale.
>>
>>53019467
It sounds like a fucking hassle having to go the new universe and re-learn everything
>>
>>53018632
What if there is no universe and we never existed to begin with?

Honest advice: I recommend going to your local track and running as far as you can until your brain is too oxygen deprived to think of such ridiculous shit. I promise you'll feel better.
>>
>>53018753
this post is an underated classic
>>
>>53019507
But what if the "real world" is digital too? What if we're inside a digital universe that's being simulated inside a digital universe that's being simulated inside a digital universe? Like a VM inside a VM inside a VN inside a VM? Which VM came first?????
>>
File: 1303231050735.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1303231050735.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>>53018723
>>
>>53019523
I wonder why do you think it's ridiculous? Could you expand?

I did not intended to mean that I actually believe this is happening nor that it's actually killing me. It was just figure of speech to make everything a little bit more dramatic.

I feel like critiques such as yours and >>53018753 are more geared towards the way I worded the thread than the actual message behind it.
>>
>>53019607
Very possible. This comes from the wikipedia article on Simulation Hypothesis:

"A technologically mature "posthuman" civilization would have enormous computing power. Based on this empirical fact, the simulation argument shows that at least one of the following propositions is true:

The fraction of human-level civilizations that reach a posthuman stage is very close to zero;
The fraction of posthuman civilizations that are interested in running ancestor-simulations is very close to zero;
The fraction of all people with our kind of experiences that are living in a simulation is very close to one.

If (1) is true, then we will almost certainly go extinct before reaching posthumanity. If (2) is true, then there must be a strong convergence among the courses of advanced civilizations so that virtually none contains any relatively wealthy individuals who desire to run ancestor-simulations and are free to do so. If (3) is true, then we almost certainly live in a simulation. In the dark forest of our current ignorance, it seems sensible to apportion one’s credence roughly evenly between (1), (2), and (3).
Unless we are now living in a simulation, our descendants will almost certainly never run an ancestor-simulation."
>>
>>53019666
It's ridiculous because it's above our pay grade. If it's true, then we just cease to exist at some point. If it's not true, then likely we cease to exist at some other point. There's literally no reason to even seriously consider it.
>>
File: 1303843434643.jpg (24 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
1303843434643.jpg
24 KB, 500x332
>>53018753

where do these replies come from?

like, what compels people to:
1) be so ignorant and arrogant to think they can interrupt a thread when they're dumb as shit
2) make some shit reply that's incredibly stupid yet somehow passes their "stupid shit filter"
3) decide that their moronic reply is actually genius and somehow appreciated by people who are discussing some light-hearted, "what-if scenario" on a public image board
4) decide the reply is so important they have to share it
>>
I actually thought ops code was somewhat deep.

No understanding the true nature of the universe won't make it end for everyone, it'll just severely distort your perception of reality for one person. These kind of revelations are mostly like that, usually making things harder rather than easier.
>>
>>53019581
No, youre just an underrated moron.
>>
>>53019702
Nihilists are the true cancer. I'd tell you to kill yourself, but it wouldn't mean enough to you even if you did it.
>>
>>53020431
Okay? Why don't you grace us with your wisdom then instead of just criticizing.

So far, it sounds like your best argument is just to call for the death of people who disagree.
>>
>>53018753
>why do people post to 4chan
I don't know.
But here's your fucking reply.
>>
>>53018632
The universe has no concept of "beings"
All it knows is energy and matter.
>>
>>53018632
If that's true, the universe should've shutdown by now.
>>
>>53019383
>IF the universe IS digital, it was created by someone for a reason, therefore it's reasonable to assume that once the goal has been achieved, there's no point in going on in the process.

What if the species of our host universe is so advanced that they can simulate the entire universe on their personal computers (something like space engine or that other gravity sim), and we're just the subject of some guy in his basement having fun with his virtual universe watching us advance (and sometimes intervening as aliens, angels or God) until he gets bored.
Or maybe he owns a small server farm and we're being simulated on that for as long as possible and see what happens.

Or their species is even more advanced and our universe is just a shitty mobile game some guy is playing on the train on the way to work.
>>
>>53020825
Okay then what
>>
>>53020968
Nothing, that's it.
>>
>>53018632
Forget to take your meds today, anon?
>>
>>53020973
What a boring existence. I prefer the concept that we are between parallel universes e.g., ancient creator being dies, we are the thought that he has before he passes on. When he does pass it creates a hole in space and time, thus forming a black hole that sucks in all matter and spits out another universe from behind the event horizon. Or some shit like that.
>>
>>53021104
>What a boring existence

boo hoo.
>>
File: div0.jpg (45 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
div0.jpg
45 KB, 600x399
>>53018753
>he fulfilled his own prophesy
DIV/0
>>
>>53018632
Yes. I'm gonna figure it out though. Its going to be the best way to kill myself.
>>
>>53020825
>implying those are separate things
>>
>>53019712
>interrupt a thread when they're dumb as shit
if that reply was so stupid then it was clearly not interrupting this thread. this is basically your rambling thoughts from that time you dropped acid.

the fact that you think it's worth talking about is pathetic

now bugger off you cretinous runt
>>
>>53018708
not your tech support
>>
File: 1425858601055.jpg (20 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
1425858601055.jpg
20 KB, 400x266
Is the universe free software?

What if it's proprietary? What would Stallman do?
>>
>>53019027
Black holes.
>>
>>53019383
oh man JUST LOOP MY SHIT UP
>>
>>53018688
>tfw we could be some kid's science project
>>
>>53018632
>the big oh on that for - loop
>>
File: 1438341434064.gif (1 MB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1438341434064.gif
1 MB, 720x720
>The speed of light could have been faster if God didn't use Python
>>
>>53018632
It would be impossible to know.
>>
>>53022552
But Jamal, if you're not tech support, what are you?
>>
>>53024656
Do you have a source code?
>>
>>53022617
send him a mail
>>
>>53018753
Go then to another general ornsome consumerism thread.
>>
I don't have any experience programming whatsoever but, isn't supposed that nothing in nature is digital but analogic? Could that be made with digital?
>>
>real life has an infinite amount of numbers between 2 integers

>digital can't even add 2 floats without fucking up
>>
>>53024800
>>real life has an infinite amount of numbers between 2 integers
That's not proven. And quantum physics is saying the opposite.
>>
>>53024825
Wait, what about the infinity of real numbers or even rational numbers is not proven? Or do you mean there are no actual infinities in reality?
>>
>>53018688
>>53018632
>>53018753
theres actually a research field for showing if or not we are living in a simulation
see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis
>>
>>53024916
>Wait, what about the infinity of real numbers or even rational numbers is not proven?
Those things are proven.
>Or do you mean there are no actual infinities in reality?
We don't know how is nature made. And a pillar of quantum physics is "everything is quantized".
>>
File: pukemajestic.gif (359 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
pukemajestic.gif
359 KB, 240x200
>>53024426
>>
>>53018687
Firstly, using subjective thoughts to determine how something was made to use is (majorly) retarded.

If the universe is digital and somebody(or something) created it as intended, then when we figure it out its only a matter of time before we manipulate it to our liking. I'm sure that can have catastrophic effects on the system that was used to build it.

If your wow character realized it was digital and started building computers to hack your PC while you were logged out and ended up casting spells on all your files, wouldn't you be pretty pissed?
>>
>>53024917
>mfw we are sims speaking a garbled language compared to our creators

I always knew real life graphics sucked
>>
>>53018982
Had that been a case, we would have segfaulted into oblivion years ago.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.