[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In your opinion (whether it is technical or not), what needs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10
File: topic-os-x-el-capitan-logo.jpg (56 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
topic-os-x-el-capitan-logo.jpg
56 KB, 800x800
In your opinion (whether it is technical or not), what needs to be changed in OSX?

This involves everything in the system. From the kernel until the GUI.
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
it's laggy as hell on my rMBP
wish it was faster
>>
They need to make the retarded place menu items anywhere rather than on a grid a feature turn on or off. It's the one thing that annoys me about OS X besides the all files menu options in finder.
>>
Let users remove the shitty preinstalled apps.

The option to sort folders to the top like literally every other file manager in the entire history of operating systems holy shit. (I hope the joking is obvious here but this is /g/ who knows)

Just replace Finder in general. It's shit.

Stop with the:
._DS_Store
._File1
._Fire2
._Every_Single_File

Fuck iTunes in every way possible.

Stop resetting my goddamn settings after every goddamn update. I've enabled the "Install apps from any location" option so many goddamn times I've lost count.

There's more but I can't be assed to remember them right now.
>>
>>52908838
>what needs to be changed in OSX?
The faggotry
>>
I haven't used OSX in a while, but if it still minimized windows into a separate dock icon instead of into the the app icon, like windows does, then that needs to be changed.

Other than that I can't name anything. Does it have CLI repositories like Linux?
>>
>>52908838
> Built in fan speed controller
> Built in turbo boost disabler
> Built in Spectacle like feature
> Auto-hide the title bar on every app (just like QuickTime does)
> Moar gaems support
Then it would be the perfect OS.
>>
>>52908997

>Does it have CLI repositories like Linux?

No, but there is an alternative: homebrew.
>>
I don't use OSX anymore but iTunes needs to die in a fire and stop copying Microsoft, no one want the stupid flat phone apps on desktop.
>>
>>52908838
Apple need bring back the attitude the had towards software back in the early 2000's.

As an example of what I mean openGL and Apple - the sad sad story
>>
>>52908838
>what needs to be changed in OSX?

Development.
>>
File: 1455046722737.png (651 KB, 928x3788) Image search: [Google]
1455046722737.png
651 KB, 928x3788
>>52908838
Not be shit.
>>
>>52909454
Lots of those comments are really out of date, Russell's comment at the start for example "I'd kill for Snow iOS8 and Snow Yosemite", that's exactly what we got with iOS9 and 10.11. Sure iTunes and a handful of other apps still suck, notably iOS Music has gotten worse since iOS8, but the OSes are pretty solid.
>>
It's sad that you can no longer buy a new Unix workstation other than Apple.

RIP Unix.
>>
File: bsd.png (66 KB, 542x417) Image search: [Google]
bsd.png
66 KB, 542x417
>>52909867
>unix
>apple

Pick one.
>>
>>52909912
I did. It's apple.

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/xy.htm
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 283x188) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 283x188
>>52909912
> he thinks OS X is BSD
>>
File: "mach".png (45 KB, 476x294) Image search: [Google]
"mach".png
45 KB, 476x294
>>52908838
here's a word from Mr Fuck You
>>
>>52908851
This. They need to do some serious optimization to better utilize iGPUs. Metal should be a good way to do this, but they havent been spending the time they need to on it.

I think they need to work on the plug/play compatibility of Core Audio.

>>52909022
this. Homebrew is fucking fantastic.

>>52909912
What's it like being a retard?

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3612.htm
>>
>>52908851
>>52910661

did you do a clean install? the reason old installs that may have been upgraded several times before, then upgarded to el capitan are slow is because of the new security features, such as sandboxing.

mine was pretty slow for a few weeks and didn't get better. just did a clean install on my rmbp late 2013, 15 inch after backing up. shit flies now. it's been a few months too so i can confirm the clean install fixes it.
>>
>>52910564
i don't think linus is as intelligent as he wants people to believe he is
>>
>>52908851
What configuration do you have? i7 / 16GB here and I have no lag problems, and I run dual monitors each with 20+ workspaces.
>>
>>52910661
>macshit
>unix

Pick one retard.
>>
Implementing cut and paste of files.
>>
>>52911207
How do you not see that OSX is Unix?
You can't buy a new Real Unix Workstation today unless it's from Apple.
>>
Finder needs to be redone.
>>
>>52911250
Anyone using OSX for a while has gotten adept at dragging from one folder to another. OSX's 'popping' of folders when you hover over them makes it trivial. It's really only an issue for Windows users
>>
>>52908997
>I haven't used OSX in a while, but if it still minimized windows into a separate dock icon instead of into the the app icon, like windows does, then that needs to be changed.
Hate to make you look dumb but the option to do that has been around since Cheetah (10.0)
>>
>>52908838
Honestly, the biggest issue OSX faces is awful support for graphics.
They always ran a custom opengl implementation, and it was always the odd one out. If you have an opengl port of your game on windows, running it on linux is easy. But OSX? Prepare for trouble.

And now they've decided to go their own way with metal, opengl is going to be even worse on OSX. Vulkan should be cross platform, but I bet apple will sit tight and try and shove metal down peoples throats for as long as possible.

Also subjective, but I don't like the unified menu thing, where it only applies to the active application. I don't see how it's good usability.
>>
>drop HFS+
>update POSIX compliance
>Homebrew installed by default
>improve Finder

>>52911383
>Also subjective, but I don't like the unified menu thing, where it only applies to the active application. I don't see how it's good usability.
I can't stand not having it, it's one of the few things keeping me from dropping OS X
>>
>>52911492
Also, port wayland
>>
>>52911492
I just don't see the point. If you are only using one fullscreen maximized window, it doesn't make a difference.
But if you are using multiple windows, instead of just clicking on the other menu, I have to highlight the window, THEN select the menu. I fail to see any advantages.
>>
File: finder-crash-mac-os-x[1].jpg (25 KB, 620x221) Image search: [Google]
finder-crash-mac-os-x[1].jpg
25 KB, 620x221
First 10 things I thought up. There is much, much more.

1. Fix color profiles and font smoothing on external monitors. They are literally programmed not to work on non-apple monitors. It makes my eyes bleed.
2. Fix that horse shit when you click the scroll bar and the fucking window moves. What the fuck Apple?
3. Add the trivial feature that could be programmed in two seconds to move/remove the top bar. It boxes you in and makes me claustrophobic.
4. Fuck the dock. Even something like windows XP would be 10x better. Seriously.
5. Get rid of "monitors are separate spaces" so Apple notices that multiple monitors with this disabled is absolutely 100% fucking broken, and the functionality when this is enabled is fucking stupid (windows don't span monitors, etc)
6. Stop the machine from going to sleep when the lid is closed, or at least provide an option for this, christ.
7. And stop removing god damn useful configurable options in every release. It doesn't make things simpler. People are using those options.
8. Implement Home, End, Page up, and Page down to actually do what the Home, end, page up/down do on every other OS in the entire universe.
9. Switch control and command. The jokes gone on long enough.
10. Remove "scaling" options in display settings. What the actual fuck is that? Just give me a DPI setting.
>>
>>52911521
>every operating system should use the same metaphors :^)
>stop liking things i don't like
>>
>>52911577
I didn't say that, I said find an advantage. At the moment, I only see disadvantages when you are working with more than one window. What is an advantage?
>>
>>52911521
It removes a bar from every window and puts them in one centralized location. Every other application window has less space taken thanks to this. What's not to understand?
>>
>>52911565
>2. Fix that horse shit when you click the scroll bar and the fucking window moves. What the fuck Apple?
i use this every single day, git gud

>4. Fuck the dock. Even something like windows XP would be 10x better. Seriously.

oh jeez

>8. Implement Home, End, Page up, and Page down to actually do what the Home, end, page up/down do on every other OS in the entire universe.

pic related
>9. Switch control and command. The jokes gone on long enough.

yeah, nah.

>10. Remove "scaling" options in display settings. What the actual fuck is that? Just give me a DPI setting.
i literally use this every single day on my old 1080p samsung monitor
>>
>In your opinion (whether it is technical or not), what needs to be changed in OSX?

Fix enough bugs so the OS is actually usable again.

In its current state OS X is twice as worse as Windows was at its buggiest states in the early vista days.
>>
>>52911595
there is a key on the keyboard for displaying all windows and clicking on the one you want. just learn, man.
>>
>>52908838
ZFS as the default filesystem.

They already ported it with the help of Sun, bad timing with the Oracle acquisition fucked up the licensing deal.
>>
a lot of the things that power users would like to remove from OS X are things that older people and clueless people that buy macs because >hurrdurr apple wouldn't be able to live without. like >>52908940 for example. i worked at an apple reseller and they made like $120 off of removing temp files or some shit, and charged $70 to reinstall the OS, $20 to restore iphones/pads/pods. like the money to be made if they allowed the default apps to be removed? "where'd my safari go?" "i can't find the calculator!!!" like people delete shit on accident all the time, god knows it's eventually gonna be a useful app

one thing i would appreciate is to not fuck me over. i spent too much money on a dock and a 4k monitor for my laptop to go into fuzzy 2560x1440 every other restart and my usb to eth adapter to stop working through my hub (support was broken by el capitan)
>>
>>52911565
>9. Switch control and command. The jokes gone on long enough.
Command over control is fucking great. Your OS uses Command for keybindings so you have Control free for everything in the terminal, let alone the positioning is just more ergonomic.
>>
iBooks. Just nuke it.

Seriously what is that shit. It's completely inconsistent with the rest of the operating system. Why do your books require a separate program, but applications and videos are handled by a music player? Why is editing metadata like pulling teeth, when iTunes already has a perfectly usable means of doing so?

There must be some sort of hidden agenda behind it, because there's no way they'd go out of their way to make something this bad. I think it's supposed to goad you into buying books like a good goy, so you don't have to worry about organizing your collection of pdfs.
>>
>>52911672
lmao you can't be serious. Command is about as non-ergonomic as you can get.

>>52911618
>apple internet defense force.
>>
>>52911673
>It's completely inconsistent with the rest of the operating system.
have you even tried the other built in apps?
>>
>>52911673
>applications handled by a music player.
Is this true?
>>
>>52911601
applications in windows now commonly hide this menu behind an ALT keypress because nobody fucking uses that shit anymore
>>
Also: force case sensitivity on HFS already.
I know it breaks some programs but tell those devs to fix their shit or fuck off.
>>
>>52911692
are you deformed? kys
>>
Let me put the menu bar on each fucking window instead of always on the top of the screen.

#1 reason I will not use that shit
>>
>>52911692
Are you kidding? It's actually comfortable using Command. Using Control just feels awkward
>>
File: making of cunnilinus.jpg (47 KB, 619x310) Image search: [Google]
making of cunnilinus.jpg
47 KB, 619x310
>>52910564
>still salty he didn't get a job at Apple
>still triggered that Tanenbaum was proven right, with OS X's hybrid kernel being 8x as popular as the monolithic Linux trash
>>
>>52911697
Any iOS applications you purchase are managed through iTunes. Everything is.

Except books.
>>
>>52911733
hahahaha. Wow. The best part is that you responded like it makes sense.
>>
>>52911733
no they are managed through the mac app store on the mac, and itunes on the your ios device
>>
>>52911250
Cmd+alt+v moves copied files
>>
>>52911673
>There must be some sort of hidden agenda behind it
They pushed books really hard.
Remember all the jazz with iBooks Author, the interactive science books and whatnot?

They wanted highly interactive books to really take off, and they created the ecosystem (iBooks Author, iBooks) to handle them.

Unfortunately, it didn't turn out, because making such interactive books was still too costly and with diminishing profits for publishers.
>>
>>52911282
AIX and HP-UX are both UNIX.
>>
Replace the file system with a proper solution
Fix the state of OpenGL
Fix the hardware support
Implement proper right click
Implement locally integrated menus like Ubuntu
>>
>>52911930
Although a factual statement, you cannot purchase them in a workstation.
>>
I love the OS. It's like the best parts of GNU/Linux plus user friendliness.

But it's like a middle child OS.

Applications are installed to one folder, but shit is still spread all over the place. So better than Windows, worse than using a package manager.

Application support better than GNU/Linux, but worse than windows

I would go as far to say that the File system is the worst out of the 3 of them.

It looks the best out of the box IMO.

Full disk encryption is pretty well implemented.

First Party Apps are better than Linux or Windows imho.

Command-Q to actually quit apps is kind of retarded.

I hate how their OS only works on their laptops.
Security sucks the most on this OS vs others.

I wish I could choose a different window manager. The built in one is /alright/ but not great.

But yet, it's still my operating system of choice.
>>
>>52911673
I actually like iBooks. I was reading one of my textbooks on my phone, highlighting key points I wanted to have an easy reference to. Since I use the program with my cloud account, when I pulled the book up on my desktop, my notes and highlights carried over. So that was pretty neat. Idk what there is to dislike about it; an eReader is an eReader.
>>
Some stuff that would need to happen for me to enjoy using it, but will actually never happen:

Open source the entire OS
Modern filesystem by default, i.e. not HFS+ or an kludge update to it
Powerful package management ala macports or homebrew, run with the help of the community
Every package currently using OpenSSL is instead built against libressl or boringssl
OpenGL needs to be improved
Vulkan rather than Metal as the future, I don't give a fuck about their mobile strategy
Update their userland, likely fixed if they include proper package management by default
Un-fuck dtrace (SIP needs to be partially disabled for it to work since 10.11, also the p_lnotattach flag is beyond retarded)
Finder needs a lot of work
Focus more on security
>>
>>52908838

Needs to be open source
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.