[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth learning Vim ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: Vimlogo.svg.png (50 KB, 605x606) Image search: [Google]
Vimlogo.svg.png
50 KB, 605x606
>>
>>52876093
>Current year
>Not learning VIM or Emacs
>>
It will take a lifetime for the time savings to outweigh the time spent learning how to use it. It's autistic nonsense and not worth it.
>>
>>52876115
Different anon, but I can't decide between using Vim or Emacs as a text editor. Which one will have me programming/typing faster?

Also, is Jennyposting going to become a thing now?
>>
>>52876168
/thread
>>
>>52876169
I personally use Vim, I never used Emacs, so I'm the wrong guy to ask
>>
in what world is vim hard to learn?
>>
>>52876332
>>52876248
is it faster to type in vim?
>>
>>52876168
>>52876178
It's not about how much time you save in a lifetime. It's about how much more efficiently you can code within the time frame of a single project.
>>
>>52876093
yes
>>
>>52876488
Ah yes the VIM lifestyle. Spend half of your time configuring VIM and then scramble to finish your project on time.

Dont fall for the autist meme OP.
>>
>>52876832
so emacs is better?
>>
If you didn't take a typing class of some kind, then it is not worth it.
>>
I'd go with vim over emacs just because it's less stuff to learn even though it's really awkward. Honestly if you're using UNIX in university just use Pico or NEdit for assignments but give vim a try for a couple of hours just since it has a place in computing history.
>>
File: 4L_FYTbh28J.jpg (26 KB, 300x230) Image search: [Google]
4L_FYTbh28J.jpg
26 KB, 300x230
>>52876093
>he doesn't use vim
>>
>>52876168
This.
Vim is meme for code monkeys that spend most of their time actually typing their spaghetti code instead of thinking.
>>
>>52876093
No but it is worth learning ex if you want to be a unix poweruser.
>>
>started using vim when I was 14
>20 now
>vim god

vim is my life
>>
fuck no
>>
>>52876093
Yes, learn Vim. Also give Emacs a try. If it appeals to you, then stick with it. I use Vim all the time, and it took me all of an hour to learn the basics. Five years later, and I can't imagine using any other editor. But don't listen to me: I'm a faggot running Linux on a desktop. Im a meme apparently - a meme that gets shit done very efficiently.
>>
>>52876093
Yes. If you aren't using a Vim keybindings plugin in your IDE you are doing it wrong.
>>
If you're going to be spending time SSH'd into headless servers, it's absolutely worth your time to learn and get comfortable with some sort of terminal text editor. Vim is my favorite, but emacs would work if that's what floats your boat
>>
>>52876093
no
>>
IMO, the best way to learn Vim for the first week or so:

1) Go through the vimtutor a couple of times. But honestly, the tutorial is just a way to get your feet wet with Vim.

2) Read the Vim User Manual. ":help usr_01.txt" (and also ":only" so that it's full window), and as it states, use CTRL+] to go to other links. For me, this was BY FAR the most useful way to learn Vim. I'm honestly shocked that it's not recommended much.

Sure, it's long. But for every chapter that's even somewhat relevant to you, you'll learn a shitton. Have vimtutor open in a different window to practice what you're learning, too.

3) Code and/or create a journal of some sort, where you can easily practice text editing.

After that, learn how to look up things with ":help", and you'll be fine.
>>
Its definitely worth using for a few weeks and learning the basics to see if you like it. I tried it out and found that I strongly preferred the mode system to other editors. If you get good with the shortcuts you can make all kinds of changes way more efficiently
>>
File: 1454802452264.jpg (125 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1454802452264.jpg
125 KB, 633x758
>tfw too dumb to learn vim

I tried doing it for an assignment at college but I ended up deleting the whole source code after I'd spent hours on it
>>
>>52876169
>>52876337
>>52876902
Modes is what makes vi so great. It won't magically turn you into a faster typer or make you write better code. And even if you don't plan on using it as your main text editor you should still learn it because you'll be spending some time SSHing to *nix servers if you work on the field.

Personally I prefer evil emacs over vim but that's just like my opinion. And don't get vim if you're starting now. There are plenty of better vi like editors that aren't a massive pile of spaghetti.
>>
>>52877544
Nano is also very straightforward for that
>>
>>52876832
in what world does vim not work perfectly fine out-of-box?
>>
>>52876093
Yes. Every decent OS has a form of it installed.
You won't need it all but having the basics is a must.
>>
vim is for pussies, write your code on paper, scan it, then use an ocr tool to convert it to text.
>>
>>52876093
it takes a lil bit to get used to it, but i really love the way that shortcuts work beyond that point. I'm still a novice, but it's nice to be able to jump words, sentences, paragraphs instantly.
>>
Sure, just use the emacs implementation

Vimscript is the devil

So evil mode

Or spacemacs even
>>
>>52877788
This

Nano is super straightforward and literally has no learning curve. Why would anybody NEED to learn vim/emacs when you can get a real IDE or gui text editor for any language? The only benefit I see is it doesn't use all your computer resources.
>>
>>52877621
Vimtutor
>>
File: 1411871326731.jpg (32 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
1411871326731.jpg
32 KB, 480x454
>>52878766
I'm doing this now but I feel like it's going to leave my head the second I finish and I'll have to do vimtutor every day until I learn
>>
>>52878281
Would have been better if you had just said:
Vim is for pussies. ed man! !man ed
ed is the Standard Unix text editor.
>>
>>52878382

just learn emacs jfc i dont even like it but why get used to evil mode in fucking emacs.

or just use a good text editor and install (neo)vi(m)
>>
>>52878949
My advice is to just start using vim. You can still use the mouse if you really need to.

Swap caps and esc, and use google whenever in doubt
>>
>>52879016
>>>52878949
>Swap caps and esc, and use google whenever in doubt

Definitely this. Also disable the arrow keys, at least in normal mode. This will have you using hjkl and your finger aren't leaving the home row. Awkward at first, but it'll become second nature in no time.
>>
>>52879016
>>52879057
not using the superior ctrl-[
>>
>>52879071
Pfiff, not even superior if you have mapped ctrl to caps lock.
>>
Emacs is superior for desktop use.
It still takes a hilarious amount of CPU in some tasks so you might consider VIM if you rely on batteries.
>>
on cli: emacs > neovim > nano > ed > vim > *
>>
>>52876832
You don't replace your IDE with vim. vim as an IDE is shit. vim as a text editor is fantastic. The only configuration you would possibly need is syntax highlighting.
>>
>>52878501
>what is gvim?
Typing with two fingers is super straightforward and literally has no learning curve. Why would anybody NEED to learn to touch type when you can just look at the fucking keys when you need them? The only benefit I see is your two fingers won't get tired as much.
>>
File: 4L_6bbgQk8K.jpg (1 MB, 3446x2523) Image search: [Google]
4L_6bbgQk8K.jpg
1 MB, 3446x2523
>>52876093
>people who think nano > vim
>>
It's worth learning the keybinds and use Emacs + Evil (or even better, Spacemacs). Vim is shit, don't fall for the meme.
>>
>>52876093
Yes. If you're learning from scratch, just DuckDuckGo 'interactive vim tutorial'
>>
>>52880239
>current year
>not using a metasearch engine
>>
>>52876093
never tried VIM, i use emacs in -nw mode and i like it so far.
>>
File: ss1.png (200 KB, 1380x718) Image search: [Google]
ss1.png
200 KB, 1380x718
Yes, so you can eventually switch to a better editor. Or you can just start with a better editor.
>>
>>52882466
What's so great about spacemacs?
>>
>>52882466
what system is this?
>>
>>52880343
Does it make any substantial difference to the results?
>>
>>52882976
Can't you tell by horrible font rendering? Obviously linux.
>>
>>52882632
It provides a good out-of-the-box Emacs configuration in case you're a normie and cannot do it yourself.
>>
>>52882466
I already have an OS thanks
>>
Most certainly yes
>>
>>52882466
is there any actual difference between this and emacs in regards to well... editing text?
>>
Knowing basic VIM will not hurt you.

You will likely come into situations were you'll have to learn it anyways, for example when you SSH into some unix or linux system where only VI is installed.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.