[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>majored in computer science >graduated with a 2.8 GPA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 11
File: b4e[1].png (103 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
b4e[1].png
103 KB, 500x500
>majored in computer science
>graduated with a 2.8 GPA
>40k in student debt
>can't find a job

I thought STEM majors are in-demand. What happened /g/?
>>
>>52871792
You fell for the schools marketing.
>>
>>52871792
>2.8 GPA

I know that's shit. But I find the entire concept of grading completely unrelated subjects and averaging it out to give the final value of an education retarded.
>>
>>52871792
>2.8 GPA
That shows that you're a failure at life. No matter what you studied, you would have failed. So no worries.
>>
If you didn't hired straight out of uni and you graduated more than 6 months ago, your degree is already worthless, nobody wants anything to do with you if you have a massive gap in your resume with no experience to show for it.
I bet you never even wrote code outside of class, given your shit GPA.
>>
>>52871792
your probably just a bad programmer
>>
>>52871823
*if you didn't get hired
>>
>Information technology
>Get a 2.5
>Didn't put gpa on resume
>Job immediately out of college
>Boss loves me

ez
>>
>>52871792
>majored in CS
>grad with 3.9 GPA
>went on for masters
>going to grad with a 4.0 GPA
>can't find a job because socially inept

The closest I came was Google, but I choked on a interview question. They atleast let me enjoy the rest of my trip to their HQ though since they flew me out for 3days.
>>
>>52871915
Grad school GPA doesn't matter at all. Literally everyone gets an A.
>>
>>52871792
2.8gpa? Hope you went to a fantastic school. 2.5+ at my school has a 95% hire rate. Anything above 2.9 is a "99" rate but only because of that one chance somebody doesn't get hired.

At any non top 30 school though a 2.8 is pretty shitty. Plus if you have no experience or portfolio that only makes it worse.
>>
>>52871792
stupid frogposter
>>
>>52871792
>only 40k
>>
try get entry level tech-support, phone-answering job. lie about edu
>>
>>52871792
>2.8 GPA

There's your problem
>>
Fake your GPA on your resume dipshit
>>
>>52872008
probably state school.

mine is about 6k a year.
>>
>>52871792
fuck, i just switched my major from bio to CS in hopes to get a job out of school

i go to a low tier state school though (ualbany)...they have internships set up with GE. at least ill get some experience and maybe be a lil more marketable

but i feel like my shit GPA will ruin it

no debt though at least.
>>
>>52871792
Also, keep trying. Tailor your CV for each job you apply for; don't show your GPA there.
Research every company you apply for, if you get the interview opportunity. They will appreciate you doing research, it shows that you want that job.

Prepare yourself for the interview, look up at least 2 pages of possible interview questions and prepare for every one of them. This will also prepare you for questions that aren't in there, it'll get you in the mindset of thinking how to answer their questions too.

Dw Anon, you can do it. Just keep trying.
>>
>>52871792
>be a frog poster
>can't get a job
It's good to know that society's filter is working as it should. Only the strong shall flouris
>>
The knowledge of your degree could be found for free online and learned in a quarter of the time. You paid $40k for the school's connections and support. Where did you intern? Did you attend your school's job fairs?
>>
GPA literally doesn't matter unless you put it on your resume, OP, don't listen to retards. What happened was that ZuckerBERG and friends imported a ton of street shitters into the country to work for scraps and drive down the pay for programmers. Why do you want to be a programmer in the first place? Choose a job that utilizes programming, but isn't solely programming. If you don't want to do that then move to Asia and become rich since they don't know anything about computers.
>>
>GPA meme
Work experience trumps everything. If you went to a good school, they would have required an internship.
>>
>>52871853
did Boss also cum into your mum eighteen years ago?
>>
>>52872152
Where is Asia?
>>
>>52871792
>2.8
HAHahahahahHAHAHAHAHHahahahaha!
HAHAHAHAH are you seriously inbred or something?
HAHAHHAHahahahahahahahhaha!
>>
>>52872241
right of Europe
>>
>>52872280
Can you give me directions?
>>
File: freshmen[1].jpg (108 KB, 699x1039) Image search: [Google]
freshmen[1].jpg
108 KB, 699x1039
>He fell for the STEM meme!

wew lad
>>
>majored in computer science
>graduated with a 3.2 GPA
>student debt paid off within 1 yr
>employed right out of college, making 6 figs 2 yrs later
>>
File: 1UGKuzH.png (632 KB, 483x599) Image search: [Google]
1UGKuzH.png
632 KB, 483x599
>>52872316
>he doesn't post a source
>he puts acorns in his ass
>>
OP what's your gpa for just your compsci classes? you can just say "Major GPA" or something.
>>
Is a CS/CE dual major any good?
>>
>>52871792
>muh stem makes me more intelligent than everyone else
retard, should've gone into accounting or economy and kept programming as a hobby
>>
2.8 GPA

Fuck you man
I pretty much need a 3.9 to transfer into CS
Should of went straight in to CS instead of physics
>>
Guys how did you write up your FAA report? My comp theory teacher told me about a place opening up at the DGS of Texas
>>
>>52871934
Literally nobody gives a fuck about your GPA as much as you think they do. You think they just have a list of names with their GPA beside them?
Lots of kids graduate with 3.5+ but have never worked in their life. They're worthless.

1. Personal connections.
2. Work experience.
3. Degree and GPA.

If employers wanted only good grades from good schools, they would exclusively import foreign workers.
>>
wew! I feel like i dodged a bullet.

graduated with a CIS degree with something like a 3.02 GPA... I knew id be fully worthless if I got below a 3.

Got a job right out of college 2 years ago.

Seriously though, if you get below a 3 you didnt try at all. I didnt try till my senior year when I realized I NEEDED to have above a 3.
>>
>>52871931
Not literally everyone. Sometimes, people who have no clue and manage to get in the class anyway make complete fools of themselves by making joke-tier pathetic projects and get Fs.
>>
File: 1450572838735.jpg (30 KB, 357x362) Image search: [Google]
1450572838735.jpg
30 KB, 357x362
>>52871792
Anon...
>>
>>52872425
gpa doesn't matter though, if you have a shit one then just don't say anything
>>
>Taking out $40k in loans to attend classes you aren't even going to put effort into

???
>>
>>52871792
CS is a meme degree. Just do a 2 year IT related course and you'll get a job.
>>
I have a year and a half left of classes, what is the minimum acceptable GPA I should have? I'm at 2.5 now, I don't know how high I can get it by the end of my degree.
>>
>>52872465
just get it as high as you can you lazy fuckin idiot.
>>
>>52872416
>>52871934

The correlation is there, but I think the causation is reversed. People aren't more likely to get hired because they have a higher GPA, but rather people who put effort in to achieve a higher GPA are more likely to be the kind of person that gets hired.
>>
I have a friend who graduated with a 2.7 GPA with a chemistry degree....

He was told that unless he got a masters that he was essentially fucked. Literally no one wants a chemistry grad with a 2.7 GPA.

Id reckon its the same with CS.

Good luck OP.
>>
>>52871828
I can only imagine the things YOU must be bad at if even the rudiments of English grammar are beyond you...

>>52871792
>>>/adv/
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>52872425
>CIS degree

how did you get a degree in being a straight white male?
>>
>>52872453
>gpa doesn't matter though

But it does, The two jobs I applied to both asked me straight to my face and I knew that saying anything starting out with "2" would sound like shit and result in a decline.

They had so many people applying that they literally took NO ONE with a 2.x GPA.
>>
>>52872152
So basically, learn IT and Networking.
>>
>>52872465
Never mind it's 2.6

>>52872483
So like 3.0? Don't judge me, I'm lazy as fuck and don't care about life. I'm in shock I made it this far without blowing my brains out.
>>
>>52872454

A lot of college students take out massive loans because their parents and teachers tell them to, but are still too young and immature to really understand the consequences of doing so. Lazy students taking on massive student loans with no oversight is a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>52872532
How else are you supposed to pay for school?
>>
>>52872501
Computer Info Systems.

Its a degree thats 50% business and 50% CS for those of us not autistic enough to code.

I couldnt deal with the shitty coding classes in CS so I switched and did CIS which only focuses on c# which was easy.
>>
>>52872416
this.

GPA really doesn't matter that much, and if it's low you should just omit it from your resume. You skills/experience are the most important things, and GPA only acts as a way to supplement that if you have no experience.

I interviewed about 15 candidates for software engineer positions in my last job. We had a meeting after each set of interviews to discuss the candidates and GPA/education never came up even once. We focused mainly on the candidates skills and job history and their answers to the interview questions.
>>
>>52872559
oh i have a degree like that too. they called it information technology at my school but it was basically just cisco networking with a couple programming languages thrown in
>>
>>52872488
Yeah, pretty much. Though I don't think most unis will take on someone with a 2.8 GPA for a master's without special approval. If you're lucky enough to get in, though, it should be easy if you're actually good and lost points for being lazy/not caring about silly, tedious homework.
>>
>>52872559
I'm studying this at penn state.
3rd year atm.
It's pretty comfy.
Databases have been my passion since high school days of running private game servers (WoW and Ragnarok online) so I figured might as well get some degree for it.
>>
>>52872566
>GPA really doesn't matter that much,

Yes, it does.

My friend graduated with a 2.6...

I would never trust him in a actual workplace setting. Hes just too lazy.

I realize its different for most people. but to go 4 years and still have under a 3? Thats trash.

Means you get an A in a class once every blue moon or something.
>>
>>52872524
Yes, in addition to CS shit.
>>
File: 1428859877544.jpg (119 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1428859877544.jpg
119 KB, 1280x720
>>52872240
NOPE
Went through the normal hiring process
>>
>>52872566
GPA is a proxy for other aspects. The people you screened out for whatever reason probably had a low GPA. There is really no excuse to have a low GPA unless you are extremely lazy and literally unwilling to put in the work to go through university.
>>
>>52871792
STEM is in demand. You are not.
>>
>>52872607
He only got into the colleges masters program because he was apart of a special 4 + 1 program.

I told him hes really lucky because being a lazy fuck and not doing his homework screwed him.

I said man just get your masters, and dont look back.
>>
>>52872483
Yeah listen to this guy. Just get as high as possible then none of this dumb shit matters
>>
>>52872552

I just think it's important for anyone taking on that much debt to understand the weight of that burden and be as informed as possible about what they're paying for. Not all higher education is expensive, not all expensive education is worth the price, and not all degrees are equally valuable.

If you take out a $40k loan, you should A) actually ensure that you will be able to efficiently pay it off and B) actually put in the effort to make that possible. A big problem I see is parents pressuring kids into going to insanely expensive schools, giving their children massive amounts of debt, and the kids are lazy and won't even get above a 2.5 GPA anyways. They could have saved $35k and just gone to a local community college instead.
>>
>/g/ knows shit all

huh
>>
why not just take a bunch of worthless EZ classes to boost your GPA?
>>
>>52872626
It really doesn't. Assuming your friend graduated, just list the degree on the resume and omit the GPA. I guarantee no one will ask.

I get that YOU would never trust him, but a potential employer would make that determination based off the interview, not GPA.
>>
>>52872517
If you made good connections, worked an internship, and you actually impressed in the interview, you would get hired anyways.

I promise you OP, GPA is overrated as fuck. Just keep interviewing and working in the field however possible.
>>
It's true I have like almost a year gap in 2014, but from tail end of 2014 to now employee, guess what people always ask me about right out of the gate?
>>
Geo physicists are the most wanted now so you may want to go back to uni.
>>
>>52872465
You should get it as high as you can. Honestly, it really doesn't matter that much in interviews, but if you get it >= 3.0 you should list it on your resume.
>>
>>52872707
HR will send resumes without a GPA on it straight into the trash. Why should they waste their time and money flying you in for an interview when there are many other candidates who actually list a good GPA on their resume?
>>
Do employers ask about a gap in education?

I was pressured into going to college right out of HS and I didn't know what I wanted to study so I did poorly and dropped out. I worked for a bit at some low-paying jobs and saved some money, decided what I wanted to study and went back to school.

But there is like a 2 year gap. Is this a red flag?
>>
>>52871792
I'm graduating with a 2.6 and I have a 6 fig job. I bet you were a retard that didn't do internships or you went to a shit school.
>>
>>52871822
>>52871792

What? Generally that's bullshit and you know it. With a 3.7 GPA I was able to outmatch a bunch of straight A guys, because all they did was memorize/learn the material required to pass. GPA doesn't matter for shit, actually.
On the other hand, for OP it's probably true that he can't program for shit.
OP start doing projects in your free time and git gud.
>>
>>52872758
No they don't, most in our industry does not give a shit. There are some companies that actually care but there are the minority.
>>
>>52872758

I think this only applies for internships. I've never seen an entry level or higher job that cares even slightly about your education, let alone your specific GPA.

Hell, half the time it's "4 year degree desired, but optional". Employers care far, far more about real world experience than education.
>>
>>52872758
My resume didn't have a GPA on it and I got hired right after graduation, no questions asked. I've interviewed ~15 candidates total for software engineer positions and only about half of them even listed their GPA, and for none of them did it play any factor in the decision whether or not to hire

>>52872770
I would ask if I was interviewing you. But as long as you can explain the decision and show that you didn't just dick around for 2 years it shouldn't hurt you at all.
>>
>>52872839
The GPA doesn't mean shit in real life, just as you say. In practice, though, that is - for getting interviews, it certainly matters, in the same way that getting a degree matters. It's a gating mechanism that can be overcome by other means but only in the right circumstances.
>>
>>52872839
3.7 is fairly competent. Anything about around 3.5 and it's generally a crapshoot on who will actually be the best employee. But a 2.6 is fucking shit and I doubt someone with that could even write a Fizzbuzz.
>>
File: 1360652611494.jpg (91 KB, 361x364) Image search: [Google]
1360652611494.jpg
91 KB, 361x364
>mfw going to medical school instead of following plebs down the programming gutter

Have fun!
>>
>>52871816
Wouldn't be saying that if you had an above 3.5 GPA.
>>
File: Deceptive-Salary-of-Doctors.jpg (2 MB, 800x7795) Image search: [Google]
Deceptive-Salary-of-Doctors.jpg
2 MB, 800x7795
>>52872943
Enjoy a salary level lower than that of teachers.
>>
If you think success is as easy as choosing the right area of study, then you'll never have it.
>>
>>52872943
enjoy years and years of stress and crippling debt. meanwhile i'm sitting here in my boxers working from home making 6 figs with no debt and a house at 26y/o.
>>
>>52872332
what school did you go to?
tell me your secrets, im scared but this post gives me hope
>>
GPA doesn't matter OP, if you're a true autist like me you're destined to be NEET forever
>>
>>52872970

At the end of the day the doctor still has twice as much money in their bank account, even if they're at work more.
>>
>>52873020
The point of having more money is so you can work LESS. Holy shit a true wagekek.
>>
>>52873017
pic related. College got me the first internship/job (60k/yr + benefits). Connections got me new job and the bump to 6 figs (115k/yr + benefits).
>>
>guys I fell for the CS meme
>I have shit GPA
>why no one hire hurr

Should have went to a vocational/technical school for computer repair and networking fuckhead.
>>
File: 1454545371069.jpg (71 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
1454545371069.jpg
71 KB, 582x600
>>52871792
He fell for it.
>>
>>52871792
how is that possibly? i'm half retarded and even i can maintain a 3.5 gpa. also,
>graduated
your suppose to get the job while youre still in college by your departments connections. fucking idiot.
>>
>>52871792
>2.8 GPA
>wah, waaah STEM isn't a guaranteed job@!@##$
It is if you don't fucking suck. I graduated with a 4.0 and I had a job before I finished my last semester because I was fucking good and arrogant about it to boot.
>>
>>52872882
By dick around you mean not working on job related projects? Because I was just working two minimum wage jobs that had nothing to do with what I'm studying now.

When I lay in bed at night I get a panic attack from imagining myself not being employable after college.

By the way, what's employer's process like for hiring interns? Do they primarily look at GPA and/or relevant course work? What about projects?

My GPA is alright but I have no relevant projects or work experience (Information systems).
Closest thing I've done is run a WoW and RO private servers on MongoDB for a while and learn sql.
>>
2.5 years out of STEM (electrical engineering + computer engineering) making 6 figures excluding bonus here

have you spent time (not hours) doing:
- interview practice
- resume prep
- research on specific companies

are you willing to relocate?
>>
>>52872141
The knowledge of any degree can be learned for free. It's just you won't have any credibilityto fall back on when you say you can do something only because you read about it in a book in your local library.

Unless you have developed something that became extremely popular, or you are GeoHotz, you will just set yourself up for a lot of stress trying to get a progrraming related career.
>>
>>52872708
Usually people that get a GPA of 2.xx aren't the type to do extracurricular if they can't do well in their actual classes. Thats the extent of how useful GPA is to get an idea of what type of person you're dealing with.
>>
>>52871792
but they are in demand.

the only thing is that instead of hiring some fresh faced programmer straight out of school to do the dreg work, they'd rather ship it all to Pajeet and Rajesh who work for pennies on the dollar
>>
>>52873164
As long as you can intelligently explain the 2 yrs it shouldn't be a problem. An employer would basically want you to fill in/explain the gap. As long as your response was something along the lines of "I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, so I spent a couple years working and researching my interests, volunteering, etc...)" I don't think it would be an issue. You can embellish/lie a bit as nothing you say here would really be verifiable. Just be prepared to answer any questions the interviewer might have about your story.

For an internship an employer will mostly be interested in your CURRENT skills, course work, and projects you've worked on (even if they're just school projects). An impressive project or 2 can act as the talking point(s) for your entire interview, which can be advantageous. Your GPA might also be considered, but it's less important. Remember, once you're in the interview the employer has already determined that you're a potential candidate, so the interview itself is the most important part. You will be hired, primarily, based on how that interview goes.

Running the private servers is actually okay to mention, just keep it focused on what you learned (mongo db, sql, server configuration and administration, etc), challenges you faced, etc.

Finally, if you're still in college now, you should definitely try to get an internship/job BEFORE you graduate. Your college probably has some good resources for this, so ask around. Having job experience in your field prior to graduation is IMMENSELY helpful and the employer you're interning for might hire you if you're a good worker too, or at least serve as a reference for your next job.
>>
>>52873518
>mongoloidDB
Into the trash
>>
>>52873459
That's why you specialize in software that companies can't outsource to Pajeet and Rajesh.
>>
>>52873459
I think we'll see this trend reverse over time. The Rajesh's of the world produce some really shitty unmaintainable code and almost never understand the requirements of what they're building..
>>
>>52873518
Thanks a lot, anon.
I'll remember your advice.
>>
Has any of you guys ever considered a minor in accounting?

Or possibly another field that could compliment the programming but also offer a fall back, just in case. It would open up more possibilities and if you can't get anything else you could always do the books at a bar or other small business.
>>
>>52873729
they'll sure as shit try, unless you manage to get into some top secret government projects, or anything where security is utmost importance.

>>52873779
all they need done is the gruntwork. If it gets bad enough they just switch to a different source of cheap third world labor and probably hire a few people here to audit the code
>>
File: 1427425179417.jpg (101 KB, 485x492) Image search: [Google]
1427425179417.jpg
101 KB, 485x492
>what happened

Passing classes doesn't make you special.

You're adverage. No one gives a shit about adverage people.
>>
>Go to community college and then transfer to a four-year college
>English major
>Graduate with $18,000 in debt
>Get a job in journalism less than a month after graduating

Pfft... and people said a liberal arts education is a waste of money.
>>
>CE major
>2.6 GPA
>cold applied to large corporation
>one phone interview
>boss was a bro, we just small talked for 2 hours
>offered job over the phone
>62k starting with 5k starting bonus, meh, better than most
>4 years out make 80k +20k/year bonus

Not making big bucks but hey, its a m-f 9-5, and I'll take it for my gpa.
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.