[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm downloading Manjaro. What are /g/ thoughts about this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9
File: manjaro.png (42 KB, 370x208) Image search: [Google]
manjaro.png
42 KB, 370x208
I'm downloading Manjaro.

What are /g/ thoughts about this distro ?
>>
it's shit and you should use debian, mint or arch instead.
>>
Get antergos if you want arch without having to install and configure it.
Manjaro is useless.
>>
Does it really matter what we think? Why not think for yourself?
>>
>>52862080
Amazing Distro, stable and good looking out of the box, uses pacman & aur, mhwd helps you do some configurations, has its own kernel switcher program etc.

the only bad thing is neckbeards shouting at you for having a desktop as good as theirs if not better with half the hassle.
>>
>>52862098
Debian doesn't want to install, and I'm not masochitisc enough to get arch

What makes Mint good ? (I'm just an UbunFriend who thinks it's time to level up)
>>
it's pretty
>>
>>52862122
If you actually know what you're doing but want to save time use archbang
>>
>>52862136
>What makes Mint good ?
it just werks
>>
>>52862142
I've tried archbang a year or so ago but it was way too broken to be taken seriously. Their site was also down for like a month shortly after.

Why not just install Antergos with openbox and copy the archbang/crunchbang config files?
>>
>>52862080
like Arch, but with worse security
>>
>>52862184
>>52862122

I did install Antergos yesterday, but for some unknown reasons when I tried to reboot I could access it anymore. It happened twice.

Is there some kind of magic trick ?
>>
>>52862212
Did you select the correct drive to install the bootloader on?
>>
>>52862235
I guess I did since I did manage to reboot once.

I think I'll give it a last try today.
>>
>>52862184
Last time I personally tried to install Antergos, it totally fucked up. I don't think their mirrors have speed to anywhere outside the US, and for some reason it doesn't just use the arch ones. I've never liked it since myself.
But don't let me stop you op, it might work now.
>>
>>52862254
I'm not in the US and the mirrors work fine. And they do use the arch ones. They only have a couple of packages in their specific repo which you can disable with almost no impact.

>>52862251
Well I don't know. Works on MY machine.
>>
>>52862080
I'm using it.
the only issue I had was after I updated it got stuck on the version screen.
But it was probably something I did.
If you have any questions ask away
>>
What's wrong with manjaro?
>>
>>52862080
>thoughts about this distro
See you posting Arch screenfetch next week
>>
>>52862080
use Architect instead,graphical arch for noobs http://sourceforge.net/projects/architect-linux/
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-08_12-52-26.png (431 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-08_12-52-26.png
431 KB, 1366x768
I use Manjaro Xfce as main system. Great, stable, no problems.
>>
>>52862136
After you've installed arch it's perfect... No masochism.
>>
>>52862136
Ok, just use it for 3 months and tell us how you like it.

No, really : you should install Mint instead.
>>
What's going on on /g/ ? Is it the game of who will use the shittiest, most obscure operating system or something ?

Just install freeBSD, you fucking faggots.
>>
>>52863036
>who will use the shittiest, most obscure operating system
I guess you win
>>
>>52863064
>freeBSD
>shitty and obscure
Time to go back to /g/.
>>
>>52862788
Incompetent devs
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/31yayt/manjaro_forgot_to_upgrade_their_ssl_certificate/
>>
>>52863036
Fuck off, normiecuck
>>52863298
Still more competent than poo in loo devs from micrococks
>>
can someone tell me the difference beetween ubuntu and mint, or why i should prefer mint over ubuntu
>>
>>52863821
Ubuntu is botnet
>>
>>52862190
Arch has little to no security already
>>
>>52863845
but mint is based on ubuntu, senpai
>>
>>52863821
Cinnamon > Unity
>>
>>52863845
it's not, it has one amazon package you can remove easily
>>
>>52862251

Do you have Nvidia graphic card?
>>
>>52862136
you're on THAT stage.

Don't worry buddy, soon you'll realize all distros are 99% the same and go back to whatever you like the most not caring what other people think.
>>
>>52862080
I like it for a beginner distro, but it's not really like using Arch if that's what you are looking for. Aside from Pacman anyway. It's more similar to using Mint. I think Manjaro Xfce looks a little nicer than Mint XFCE. There's also a Fluxbox version which I like more--it comes with no systemd too which is great imo.

I eventually moved onto Arch or tried too. Like I said it's different, and I found that I don't really care for Arch. I ended up using OpenBSD for serious stuff, but I keep Manjaro around for goofing off.

You'll get a lot of people talking shit about Manjaro here. Any distro really. Mostly it's bullshit, because most of the people here are completely full of shit, and have no clue what they are talking about. Try it out. Maybe you'll like it, maybe not.
>>
>>52862136
Mint just werkz. I don't think that switching to arch would be beneficial unless you don't have anything to do other than maintaining a linux install.
>>
>>52862136
Installing Arch isn't the problem. That's actually interesting the first few times you do it, and you learn a lot from it. There's also architect.

No, the problem is maintaining it afterwards. It's tedious. Some people like that, others don't.

There's something you need to know about Linux, that rarely gets said. Distro really doesn't fucking matter in the end. You can make any distro be like any other. You can harden any distro to be as secure as possible, or you can make them as insecure as Windows XP. It's just a matter of how much time and effort you want to put into things. Distros are just assemble and prepackaged suites of software and configurations, so that you don't have to build your IS from scratch. They do have their own ways of doing things, but nothing is really set in stone. You could very well compile everything from scratch for Mint and have it use postage (or more easily, NetBSD's pkgsrc which is very similar concept to portage, except it's designed to be easily portable), or you could set Gentoo up to just use Apt or Yum. You could turn Manjaro into a rock solid server, or make Cent a great desktop. Most don't want to fuck around with their systems to such an extreme degree, hence why we have distros.
>>
>>52864067
>>52864827

I see, thanks a lot for sharing the knowled/g/e.
>>
>>52862080
Install openRC iso and live life without systemDick in your throat. Also works rather well on my netbook where most other distros would be too heavy.
But I'd still rather install either openSUSE or Xubuntu on my more capable machines.
>>
File: extremistic.jpg (1 MB, 1919x1045) Image search: [Google]
extremistic.jpg
1 MB, 1919x1045
>>52862080
I was using Manjaro about month. then i found i hate all DEs (kde, xcce, lxde, gnome etc). three days ago i fucked up some configs and system could not boot.
i downloaded openbox version. BUT it has kernel 4.0 (=unsupported).
then i tried to use arch, but there was some problem with pacman. now i'm running archbang. no problems, yet.

> am i true arch user, even if i used archbang, /g/?
>>
>>52864827

Arch user here, I actually find arch easier to use. Easier to maintain than anything except debian. Pacman is wonderful imo. That said, totally agree with you. Distros are supposed to make it easy to do what you need to do. They fill niches.
>>
>>52865022
Your going full Autist bro.

>Hating DEs
>Fucking up config files causing systemboot failure
>Autistic/10

G would be proud.

Use i3 or less autistic awesome. Tiling window managers are good for autists like you.
>>
>>52862080
get fedora
>>
I personally prefer arch, but manjaro is allright.

Don't fall for meme distros like debian that give you old-ass software packages and kernel versions even when using their unstable branch that can't even boot on NVMe, use your modern hardware optimally and never update their packages or patch security issues^*.

^* most debian users don't even have a clue how bad security on debian is: https://blogs.gnome.org/mcatanzaro/2016/02/01/on-webkit-security-updates/
>>
>>52865096
i'm not 100% sure it were configs. maybe something with kernel

i actually tried i3, but i hate how it looks. i like fact that i can iconify my apps and just to look silently at my wallpaper
>>
>>52864864
I do find Arch appealing in a lot of ways. It's not a bad distro at all. It was the one I thought I'd end up using.

My problem with it is that OpenBSD has really spoiled me. It's got the power of an OS like Arch or Gentoo, but everything is as simplified as possible. It's a nice balance between a user-friendly, beginner OS, and a power user's. It tries to make the tedious things as painless as possible, without taking away your full control of things. For the stuff you are actually interested in doing, it stays out of your way as much as possible. It's certainly got a learning curve, but it doesn't make things hard or arbitrary just for the sake of being hard or arbitrary.

Patching it is about the worst thing as far as maintenance goes, and that's not too bad, once you get the hang of it. Plus you don't have to do it all that often.

After using OpenBSD a while, and then trying to use another OS, even another BSD, it will leave you almost constantly comparing it negatively to OpenBSD. Just about anything you try to do, you'll be thinking how much simpler it is in OpenBSD. If it weren't for that, I'd probably use Arch, or maybe Slackware.

That's not to say it doesn't have its flaws and downsides though. If you're wanting to watch movies or play games it's probably the worst IS you could pick for that. If you care a lot about high performance it's definitely the wrong OS. That's why I dual boot it with an easy-mode Linux distro. OpenBSD for serious work, Linux for fucking around.
>>
>>52864864

Stupid phone. This >>52865992 was meant for >>52864864
>>
>easy install
>fast af
>lightweight
> no systemd
> no bloat
>pretty
>easy to use
>repo got latest version of all kinds of shit
What's the catch? I'm one week in and it seems too good to be true
>>
>>52867102
everyone here knows that manjaro is path to arch. enjoy your manjaro. it will be one of your sweetest linux period
>>
>>52867514
>everyone here knows that manjaro is path to arch
...don't scare me like that anon
I still want to be a functioning member of society
>>
>>52867744
well, arch is kinda the dark side
sometimes it's hard not to try it
>>
is install Mint a new meme or something?
what is with all these people recomending it all the sudden... last I knew the distro was dumbed down garbage. So many safeguards for new users that it made windows 8 look like a dream OS.
>>
>>52867514
>>52867778
the only pathway to arch is already being a neckbeard with no life that runs linux to brag about how cool and different he is for running linux rather than actually using it.
>>
>>52862080
Just a shittier version of Arch
>>
>>52867800
because it's the "just works" version of linux, even more so than ubuntu without all its bullshit without being too nazi about free as in freedom (e.g. bundles mp3 codecs because fuck it why not), while still being lightweight and being extremely similar to windows in UX except it's stable as a fucking rock

so yeah it's cool
>>
>>52867872
> Being a neckbeard with no life is a requirement to learn Arch.

I have a pretty good life, I have lots of friends outside. Even girls want me now. I also own a 2011 model Mercedes E Class, living in a Mansion, and still using Linux.

>>52867895
> Just a shittier version of Arch
Not really. I stepped on the Arch pathway using Manjaro first, then I started to use the actual Arch Linux.
>>
>>52867940
restricting what users can and can't do because they assume everyone is dumb is so cool
>>
Shouldn't it be called Personjaro?
>>
>>52867949
>I have a pretty good life, I have lots of friends outside. Even girls want me now. I also own a 2011 model Mercedes E Class, living in a Mansion, and still using Linux.
lol, lies
>>
>>52867872
I'm another Arch guy.
I'm schizophreniac, i'm diagnosed with near-autism and have 0 friends; i don't believe anyone and i'm concerned that we live in something like matrix, because there is no reason for life to exist
>>
>>52868041
if you're a power user and know how to use the terminal you can do w/e the fuck you want
the fuck you on about
>>
File: mst3k_joel_it_stinks.jpg (27 KB, 400x297) Image search: [Google]
mst3k_joel_it_stinks.jpg
27 KB, 400x297
It stinks.
>>
>>52868091
> Lies
Nope, not lying at all. Plus, it is better to have a few loyal friends than a huge amount of fake friends.
>>
>>52868143
>you can do w/e the fuck you want
after you go and dick around with the settings for 2hrs so it will actually fucking let you even use the terminal past text editors and the MOTD
>>
File: IMG_20150607_165216.jpg (1 MB, 4128x1662) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150607_165216.jpg
1 MB, 4128x1662
>>52868091
I do own a Mercedes. It is in this picture.
>>
>>52868216
>>52868148
you are still scumbags
>>
File: mandrakelinux.jpg (10 KB, 153x239) Image search: [Google]
mandrakelinux.jpg
10 KB, 153x239
Somewhere, out there in the vast land of dead Linux distros, Mandriva lies with a headstone that reads:

"I did it first..."
>>
File: qV7QrQB.png (97 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
qV7QrQB.png
97 KB, 1366x768
It's real.
>>
>>52868244
what exactly did it do first? it was packaged with album everything back in the day but it was complete and utter garbage
>>
>>52864827
What is hard to maintain about arch?
>>
>>52868201
alright now I have literally no clue the fuck you on about
>>
File: SystemD_Cancer.jpg (72 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
SystemD_Cancer.jpg
72 KB, 800x598
>>52864866
>>
>>52868331
maybe it's changed a lot in the last few years, but when I used it I remember it having so many safeguards and blocks that it would have put windows 8 to shame.
>>
>>52868244
>dead
not exactly
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mageia
>>
>>52868201
then don't install mint lol
>>
>Arch without the Arch installation
Might as well just get Ubuntu or Mint, desu
>>
>>52868394
I see. I used 17.1 for a few months and had no issue of the sort.
What kind of safeguards can they put against sudo? If you're tech savvy enough to open up a terminal you're tech savvy enough to know what to do.
>>
>>52868216
Take a selfie inside the car. I just want to check it's indeed yours, no need to see your face, blurry it out.
>>
>>52862134
>neckbeards shouting at you for having a desktop as good as theirs if not better with half the hassle.

Why does everyone think installing Arch is hard, just because it's done by terminal? I'm able to install it and get to a functional desktop in less than 20 minutes. And not because I'm so smart, but because it's so simple. You just have to know basic linux commands.
>>
>>52868278

Before there was Mint, Ubuntu, Manjaro, and any other "easy to use" distro there was Mandrake Linux.

Easy to get started, a lot of shit "just worked" that a lot of other distros required a lot of effort to get going.

Plus, it was based on Red Hat, and even back then Red Hat was pretty much the standard distro used in enterprise environments so moving from Mandrake to RH was pretty easy.

I cut my teeth on Mandrake 6.1 in Jan 2000 (actually bought it from Babbages, Macmillan-Mandrake 6.5 they called it). I didn't switch to CentOS until maybe 2007 or so but even still I always kept a machine around with Mandrake (by then Mandriva) until about 2009.
>>
>>52863399
Nice dubs
>>
>>52868493
It is night here (22:34) and nights are very cold here. I will do it in the morning.
>>
>>52868643
to be honest most of the older distros just worked... in fact most distros even now just work, I hate to break it to the autists here, but it acutally just comes down to preferance

also
>Red Hat was pretty much the standard distro used in enterprise environments
no, that was SUSE
>>
>>52868750
Anon I see you wearing a valet parking suit in the car reflection. No need to keep lying
>>
looks nice bro, go for it
>>
File: received_1011831435542121.jpg (71 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
received_1011831435542121.jpg
71 KB, 1080x1920
>>52868808
Here is a pic of me with its keys.
>>
>>52868808
Here is my pic with its keys. I am not lying here.
>>
>>52868299
friends. life. love.
>>
>>52868950
give them back, Jamal.
>>
>>52869022
It is mine, bought with my own money for £32k. Hahaha. My name is not Jamal either.
>>
>>52869022
Plus, I took the photo inside my home.
>>
>>52868950
You have a Mercedes but you have a 1.3MP camera. Seems right.
>>
>>52869221
and a stain covered shirt and a coat that looks like it came out of the 80s.
>>
>>52867102
Psst.. The normal default manjaro has systemd.
>>
>>52869221
The front facing camera and lighting made the photo look shit. The back cam does produce good photos.
>>
>>52869239
That is my home cloth. I am pissed at the stain not being removable.
>>
>>52868804
>to be honest most of the older distros just worked... in fact most distros even now just work, I hate to break it to the autists here, but it acutally just comes down to preferance

In 2000 most distros didn't "just work" and this is very well documented. I still have to stop myself from disabling "Plug and Play" and ACPI in the bios on my machines that are designated for Linux 'cause I got so used to doing it before installing a distro for so long it became natural.

>also
>>Red Hat was pretty much the standard distro used in enterprise environments
>no, that was SUSE

In the US, it was definitely Red Hat. I would agree SUSE was was many a European nation's preferred distro, but RH was very common out here.
>>
>>52869239
That is just the shadow of my hand, not a stain.
>>
>>52868569
Not difficult, but you actually have to do something. In other distros you just click next a few times and it's done.
>>
>>52862080
>Memejaro

Just install Arch..
>>
>>52867514
I can confirm this.
>>
>>52862147
This. It plays all Chinese cartoons and pr()n so it's good enough. I also use i3 so I can watch both in the same time
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.