[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What VPN does /g/ recommend?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: vpn.png (51 KB, 1441x1440) Image search: [Google]
vpn.png
51 KB, 1441x1440
I heard Private Internet Access is quite good (haven't gotten the chance to try it yet), but I'd like to hear some other opinions. (Preferably fast, cheap and able to post on 4chan)
>>
Set one up on your own network.
>>
>>52641029
My upspeed for that is not good enough. I also really don't want to stay in my country if you know what I mean.
>>
>>52641042
then none of them will work.
>>
>>52641072
due to the 4chan requirement?
>>
>>52641072
>>52641094
I can get around the posting with a 4chan pass, so that wouldn't be that big of a turnoff
>>
>>52639455

I've used Torguard for several years now. I can saturate my ISP connection over it (~6/30Mbps). I renew it with their Black Friday coupon code so it is $30-something dollars for a year of service.
>>
>>52641558
you permanently connected?
>>
>>52641591

Generally when my desktop is up, yes. I'm working on setting up torrenting on a little ARM box so that will be connected as well--I think my account allows for 5 connections as default with more available for purchase.
>>
>>52641656
That sounds promising, definitely gonna look into it. And Torguard can post to 4chan freely? Encountered any other problems with the service yet?
>>
Just get Cryptostorm
>>
>>52641713

I use a proxy server on my OpenWRT router to post here. You can purchase a reserved IP if you want to be able to post over the VPN for that but I didn't see the point. Any VPN will either be blocked here or will be in the future. Some asshat will ensure that happens eventually by posting something that draws mod attention.
>>
i have PIA and for some reason im getting shit speeds, but they are P2P friendly.
>>
>>52641761
Using it yourself, anon?
>>
>>52641713

As for problems, no. Occasionally I'll notice slow speeds but if I switch servers, the problem goes away and *may or may not be related to my ISP. Connection servers are available globally--I think well over 100 servers the last time I bothered to look at the config files.

*(I have a DOCSIS 2.0 modem so Comcast may occasionally throttle me in order to try to push me to a DOCSIS 3 modem. I get the same speeds but I'm using more of a specific channel by using a D2 modem than they would want so they pester me about it constantly.)
>>
>>52641926
I guess that's good to know

>>52641819
shit speeds as in how shitty? And what server do you connect to?
>>
>>52641926

Did they really throttle you for not having a DOCSIS 3 modem?

I came back from a trip last year and found I was getting speeds ~20Mbps slower than usual and TWC wouldn't say why or how that happened.
>>
>>52641993
>shit speeds as in how shitty? And what server do you connect to?

US Midwest, i know its something on my end because i know a few people by me who have it and have no issues.
>>
>>52642027
Ah, gotcha
>>
>>52642058
It might also be its because i have that computer running inside a VM, il have to test that out in a bit.
>>
>>52642129
if you could do that, that would be very much appreciated. Maybe your VM Host limits connection speed
>>
>>52641996

I can't say with exactitude. I had a drive failure a few months ago (after they initially pestered me for months to upgrade and I refused) so I took a hiatus from torrenting for a month or two, and the notifications ceased. After I resumed my uploading recently, I am now again receiving calls and emails to upgrade. I suspect the occasional slowdowns to be related as they are clearly aware of my traffic but again, I cannot be certain.
>>
>>52642158
No i thought so too but i maxed out my line during a test run just to make sure whatever default setting for VMware would work without tinkering
>>
>>52639455
PIA is the cheapest and best option for US based users.
>>
>>52642175

Alright thanks for the info.
>>
>>52642027
Try using OpenVPN software. It's compatible.
>>
>>52642213
I've used the software provided by PIA and the built in VPN on windows, no difference.
>>
PIA is cheap and comes with a SOCKS5 proxy which is nice for hiding your IP in one application but not running your whole connection through a VPN.

Mullvad is neat because they're more black-and-white about their no logs policy, and their client is open source
>>
File: 1453181643089.png (5 KB, 255x253) Image search: [Google]
1453181643089.png
5 KB, 255x253
Is anyone else worried that these VPNs are backdoored either intentionally or unintentionally by some major government and they're just big honeypots?
>>
>>52642283

Torguard is Ukrainian (or was) so at least in my case, it's Putin rather than MPAA/RIAA and I doubt he cares about me. However yes, I also think the same thing. I tend to torrent over VPN and keep my personal traffic over ISP although ISPs now deep inspect your traffic for even more profiling than Google does. I think the internet is inescapably Orwellian in its present form.
>>
>>52642283

>Worried about honeypots.
>Posting on 4shit.
>>
>>52642353

An excellent point.
>>
I got my eyes on NordVPN is it good?
>>
>>52642233
I gave up and just used the Socks5 way on deluge
>>
>>52641208
It's against the rules to post on a VPN with a pass. Only region blocks are allowed to be bypassed I thought.
>>
File: 1449868391994.jpg (18 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1449868391994.jpg
18 KB, 413x395
>>52643377
>against the rules
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.