[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a VPN sufficient for safe torrenting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: handsome kot.jpg (544 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
handsome kot.jpg
544 KB, 1920x1080
Is a VPN sufficient for safe torrenting?
>>
>>52637871
no you also need to pay for torrent insurance
>>
>buy cheap, used netbook on craigslist
>usb boot with favorite flavor of lunix
>encrypt the swap partition
>get a blanket

>drive across a state or two and go to one of the coffee shops in the small, tucked away towns
>build blanket/table/chair fort in cafe to hide yourself. Buy a small coffee or small hot water so they can't technically kick you out of the store.
>Torrent 10% of the file while in the cafe behind several proxys and a VPN paid with a prepaid credit card with cash.
>Repeat the last 3 steps 9 more times in other, randomly chosen cafes in the state

>After you get 100%, put the file in a USB flash drive for storage. Wrap it with a liberal amount of tin foil. Keep flash drive in a sturdy, military-grade suitcase that's used for soldier radios and mini nuclear bombs.
>Break the netbook apart and dispose of it on the highway, piece by piece, every 25-50 miles.
>Do not drive straight the whole way, veer off a couple exits and drive at least 10 miles out to dispose of one part.

>Go back home after you have fully disposed of the destroyed netbook.
>Come back at odd hours, park half a mile away from your home, and come home through the window in the dark
>Shut off the power in the fuse box.
>Get an extension cord and wire it from your neighbor's shed to anonymize your electrical identity

>Hopefully you have lined your walls with tin-foil and ESD-protective meshes, because this is when you start installing the file
>install a PCI USB card to connect the USB flash drive to your desktop
>run a VM of the software's supported OS, and allow it to install on your computer
>suspend the VM every 5% or 5 minutes of installation progress, keeping yourself armed and alert with your boy scout BB gun and stealthily checking the windows for any government invaders
>After the installation reaches 100%, re-encrypt your storage device
>dispose of the flash drive, and PCI USB card. Dissolve in hydrochloric acid in a plastic tub.

>Finally enjoy your pirated GIMP scot-free
>>
You need a GAMING vpn, stop downloading like a n00b.
>>
Lads please

I'm just a simple man trying to download a few things without getting ISP trouble
>>
>>52637871
Yes
>>
>>52637915
Copy this for future use
>>
>>52637915
>build blanket/table/chair fort in cafe to hide yourself.
underrated security measures.
>>
What part of VPN don't you understand, OP?

> OP: huh?
>>
>>52637942
>ISP trouble

Your ISP is not the problem, the content mafia sending mean letters is.
>>
>>52638264

I understand how it works. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if its actually something that will effectively hide me.

>>52638303

The content mafia as far as I know directs their mean letters via the ISP
>>
>>52638322

In a nutshell yes a VPN will be enough, but its hard to find a VPN provider that won't limit your torrenting in some form.

I was recommended PIA but even they would slow my connection to a crawl if I torrented over their network.

If you're looking to torrent now and then, use a VPN and you'll be fine.

But if you're looking to torrent religiously, look into buying a seedbox of some form. I'd recommend renting a cheap linux box from somebody like Kimsufi.

Also maybe look into private trackers, there's usually a thread on this board about them.
>>
>>52638416

Thanks for the advice.

I've just bought 1 month sub to try it. If they throttle it I'll just get it refunded
>>
>>52637942
oh

in that case go to fucking starbucks
>>
>>52638436

Yeah I've heard mixed reviews. Some people have no problems, some people do.

Maybe you'll get lucky.
>>
>Is a VPN sufficient for safe torrenting?
It's only sufficient if you can ban evade on 4chan with it.

>inb4 (USER IS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
>>
>>52637871
Providing you pick your VPN well, and providing you aren't torrenting anything that'll deservedly pick up really serious heat, sure?

Avoid the US VPNs, and particularly avoid PIA (too many countries, Softlayer hate their guts) or HideMyAss (they log). Some of the old classics like IPredator or Mullvad are still OK for this. CryptoStorm know what they're doing better than anyone else, but I've never been clear whether or not Spink is truly involved with them (he's a pretty shady guy, to say the least).
>>
>>52637915
>Buy a small coffee or small hot water so they can't technically kick you out of the store.
genius.
>>
>>52637915
t.RMS
>>
>>52637871
first
DDL >> torrent
second
use a Multi-One-Click-Hoster like premiumize.me
>>
>>52637915

>Pirated GIMP

Its at this point I knew you were serious business anon.
>>
>>52637901

I kekkled.
>>
Why not a seedbox?
>>
>>52637871

From where can I get a cat like that?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.