[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>using rsync >decide to move a bunch of videos out of a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1398545022250.jpg (6 KB, 200x194) Image search: [Google]
1398545022250.jpg
6 KB, 200x194
>using rsync
>decide to move a bunch of videos out of a folder into a parent directory
>run rsync again
>it deletes and then copies over the files all over again instead of changing the markers to a new location

Why can't Linux do things right? I never had this issue with SyncToy. My disk I/O is going off the charts every time I do this.
>>
File: 1453166111641.jpg (2 MB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
1453166111641.jpg
2 MB, 2272x1704
No, the question is: Why can't you do things right? rsync will not delete anything unless you pass the option to do so. Why didn't you use mv? Don't blame the OS for your inability to read a manual.
>>
I pressed the gas but my car did not fart, why cant cars do things right?
>>
>>52632354
I selected it to delete on the destination hard drive so I can keep things in sync but really that should only apply to files I actually deleted for real (not moved). I don't need extra copies of the same files. It is just doing things a rather cumbersome way. Not efficient at all when you move files around directories.
>>
>>52632396
rsync is best for remote transfers, not local ones. For local file management you could always use, oh I don't know, a file manager?
>>
>>52632438
I could but no file manager is designed to keep directories in sync. So if I copy and paste something over to the backup it will ask to replace those files or skip them. Things get tricky when you have modified files/renamed them. You would then end up with a lot of duplicates on the backup.
>>
>>52632456
And that's why you don't do file backups, you make disk images.
>>
>>52632456
raod 1
>>
>>52632488
So you basically mean copying everything all over again? That's not efficient.
>>
>>52632438
>rsync is best for remote transfers, not local ones.
that's wrong
rsync is love, rsync is life

as for OP, check out
https://lincolnloop.com/blog/detecting-file-moves-renames-rsync/

Lol, SyncToy.
>>
>>52632504
RAID is typically in the same enclosure. The idea of a backup is to keep them separate in the event of physical damage.
>>
>>52632513
As if your time is important.
>>
>>52632524
There wasn't really anything wrong with SyncToy. Although it did say it was deleting files and then making new ones whenever they were renamed/moved. However, it always ended up renaming/moving the files efficiently.
>>
>>52632587
the delete/remake logic is great for a lot of use cases. rsync can use --inplace and --append though.
I had to switch a client over to rsync because SyncToy can't sync over a SMB mount. it creates everything read-only, then shits itself
>>
>>52632396
Not using mv for local transfers is your problem.
>>
>>52632971
I NEED TO SYNC.
>>
>>52632250
this thread makes me smile
>>
>>52632488
That's retarded. There's nothing wrong with rsync, OP is just incapable of reading a man page.
Protip: use the -n option to simulate everything if you're unsure of what's going to happen.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.