[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why so many macs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 6
File: New-Macbook-Vs-MacBook-Air.jpg (24 KB, 620x443) Image search: [Google]
New-Macbook-Vs-MacBook-Air.jpg
24 KB, 620x443
https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/42p7hp/which_laptop_do_you_use_operating_system_which/

Are most people in cs this clueless to use MBPs for work or is this subreddit a poor sample?

Honestly wondering what the fuck is going on, people in computing fields are supposed to know better right?
>>
you ever see shit screen quality on most computers?

yeah. that's why.
>>
>>52630164
What's wrong with MBPs?
>>
They are probably just homosexual and want to show it. It's not always because People are clueless.
>>
>>52630164
They're good machines. Maybe not good in terms of specs per dollar, but they perform adequately for most tasks (except maybe gaymen or video editing), and provide a user experience and form factor that people prefer to the competition.

I don't know why /g/ can't understand this. UX counts for a lot in the real world, even to people who "should know better".
>>
>>52630164
>people in computing fields are supposed to know better right?
People in CS are usually clueless, you'd be surprised.

As for the MBPs, I think the main reason for anyone reasonable would be the screen, despite there being alternatives nowadays.
>>
>>52630164
When it comes to the supposedly "better" machines... those are almost always not the same full package as mbps are. It's either a low-res or otherwise bad screen, or a weak plastic body, or a touchpad that you'd rather not use.
>>
>>52630164
>windows is a hassle in cs
>most cs students are too dumb to use gentoo
that leaves one alternative
>>
>>52630164
I don't know about other people, but most people I know personally (including myself) that are in CE/CS and use a Mac do so because:

1. Obamabucks and Federal Work-Study make getting a Mac affordable
2. They are decent, generally reliable machines with excellent customer support and high resale value
3. POSIX compliant certified UNIX core makes development possible (admittedly not as well as Linux), plus native ssh for remote access to university linux workstations
4. The most resource-intensive thing people do on their Mac is play Source engine games.
>>
>>52630164
>market littered with poor MBP/Air copies with shittier screens
>either costs almost as much for same specs or cuts corners on not-so-obvious shit like battery quality or cpu fans
>locked down just as much as MBPs with no user-serviceable parts
>riddled with low level phone-home malware

If you're buying a laptop and want the latest specs, there's honestly no decent choice except getting a MBP and installing Linux on it. It's either that or buying a used Thinkpad/Latitude if you don't care about >muh latest hardware.
>>
>/r/cscareerquestions
Not the best sample. Like asking how many Windows users at a GNU meetup.

Like >>52630291 said, Mac's aren't as great as Apple's marketing but they just werk for some people.
>>
>>52630164
>Are most people in cs this clueless to use MBPs for work or is this subreddit a poor sample?

Most of them seem like trash tier webdev and "UI engineers" (for fucks sake, stop appending engineer to everything to make it sound better), and they tend to be so retarded that I'm not surprised.

Anyway, CS people are usually pretty clueless. CS classes consists mostly of one neckbeard who's actually interested, then all the remaining ones are "i wanna maek gamez", "MUH WEB 2.0" and "what is an int I came here because cs is the new cool oh god what is this double equals shit"

>>52630291
>UX counts for a lot in the real world

It counts for retarded webdev hipsters.
>>
>reddit
retard
>>
>>52630164
what is this god forsaken site you link to?
>>
>>52630557
>i wanna maek gamez
no kidding; everyone enrolls to cs thinking from there they will become the next kojima
>>
>>52630164
You'd expect CS students to use GNU/Linux based distros since they are studying a field so 'into' computers.
>>
>>52630630
This
I thought it was just a stereotype but it's actually true. 99% of CS students don't give a rat's ass about computers, they just want to make video games and make a lot of money.
>>
>>52630467
If you're buying a mbp, you don't care about latest hardware anyway
>>
File: 1387480084825.jpg (828 KB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
1387480084825.jpg
828 KB, 3888x2592
>>52630243
yeah I hate how can't even see myself in them
>>
whats a good pc with decent screen resolution? would a thinkpad yoga 14 work? i already have a rMBP i want to make the switch back to pc and learn how to use linux on it for coding purposes
>>
are you poor, OP?

the 13" rMBP is the GOAT laptop
>>
>>52631150
I'm just not willing to drop 2000 dollarydoos on a laptop
>>
Friendly reminder the current userbase of this shitter browses reddit
>>
>>52630557
>>UX counts for a lot in the real world
>It counts for retarded webdev hipsters.

Whats your cv? Do you maintain any big open source project? Whats your CVE list? From people that makes strong statement I would expect to show solid proof for their experience
>>
>>52630557
being this butthurt

how about getting a job?
>>
>>52630291
>Maybe not good in terms of specs per dollar

I have yet to see a laptop as good as the MBP for the same price or cheaper.
>>
File: 20160126_145133.jpg (122 KB, 1147x645) Image search: [Google]
20160126_145133.jpg
122 KB, 1147x645
>>52631316
imagine you had a job and earn like a developer (so you can get at least 3 MBP a month)

... that's how it works

pic related, working atm
>>
The way I see it, here are the reasons

1. People recognize the brand, it's fucking everywhere
2. They look nice, and feel nice, no plastic to be seen
3. The screen is very good. Yes there are better screens out there, but the screen is still really good.
4.They are great for casual use and easy to pick up. The trackpad is wonderful and gestures are easy to use

Yes, there are better options out there, but I've owned a Mac for about 2 years now, and I haven't had any problems with it aside from compatibility issues, and a one time wifi issue, which I agree is annoying, but it seems to have something to do with my router. I don't have many problems with my Windows PC either, but that's because I have a good one, and most people have shitty computers, which makes them think Windows is shit and never works.
>>
>>52631867
I have a well paying job. Just because I can afford to drop $2000 on a laptop, doesnt mean its a good idea.
>>
also for people saying that screen is the only pro... as a linux user (4 years working fulltime) + windows user for gaming + mac user in the last 2 years here are the things I bought it for:

- Retina screen
- 10 hours of battery usage (or at least 8+ so I can get a full day working without attaching it to anything)
- Perfect trackpad compared to the ones I've used before (force touch version)
- 1.2Gb/s write/read ssd (twice as fast as my desktop 2014 pc)
- Solid unibody / no plastic parts cracking or making noise
- Osx pros for work like drag'n'drop apps to install/uninstall (itellij setup takes 2 secs copying all the settings), bettertouchtool to have hotkeys for everything, never had to install any driver, spotlight/chaplin search, etc

I'm more than happy if you find me a laptop that does that for £1100 (I have a discount from the multinational I work for) with a decent OS (the only distro for productivity were ubuntu and elementary os 3-4 years ago)

2015 13''
>>
>>52631918
nah actually I'm a senior dev in permanent position and people working in my team doing the same thing as me but contracting are getting on average £450-500 A DAY

also see my reasons above
>>
>>52630164
Redditors are absolutely fucking retarded and I expected these faggots to use computers designed for the tech illiterate
>>
File: 1449555525664.jpg (171 KB, 750x925) Image search: [Google]
1449555525664.jpg
171 KB, 750x925
>>52631962
Such an important guy that he needs to spend his day shilling apple products on a chinese cartoon image board.
>>
>>52630164
>Are most people in cs this clueless to use MBPs for work
What do I need more in 2016
>a monster rig that can run, render and process on site

or
>a solid piece of hardware with a good UI, Linux-similar cmd, and better text editing programs than windows.

If your code is serious enough to need horsepower to run, you should be running it offsite.

If its not that serious, you've overbuilt your rig.
>>
>>52630164
Have you actually worked in a CS/programming job a single day in your life?

Most people use MBP, even at huge, old companies like IBM and Oracle.
>>
>>52632006
working from home and refactoring stuff... can I enjoy life by making neets open their eyes?
>>
>>52632019
I have and you're flat out wrong. Maybe at some shitty startup that makes you buy your own hardware, but at any decent company they will provide you with a proper workstation and a MacBook isn't one.
>>
>>52632041
IBM is now a 100% Mac shop.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2998315/apple-mac/every-mac-we-buy-is-making-and-saving-ibm-money-ibm.html
>>
>>52632019
true that. Pretty much every statup/big company I've seen in London (quite a few) are like that

>>52632041
false and untrue, they normally offer you macbooks of your choice or at most you can build your station (had to do it once) but on average they want shit done so they wont wait ages for you to be operative. One of the reason why MBPs are so popular.
>>
>>52632023
>I enjoy coverting 4chan users to the ways of apple
Literally a cult
>>
>are supposed to know better right?
Have you ever considered that you might be wrong?

Macs are just great devices for programming, especially when its about the stuff thats typically part of a CS curriculum, e.g. C with GCC, Java, Python, functional languages like Haskell. TeX and most unix-tools in general work much better and OSX is probably the best laptop operating system due to the good trackpad integration.

Its not like this will change later. Macs are pretty common in many small IT and software companies too (unless they are one of those infamous .NET shops). This might be different in big companies, but mainly cause company policies force you to make compromises, not cause they are actually good for what you do.
>>
Macs are only common in US. In rest of the world they're luxury items that aren't used by anyone for work
>>
>>52632062
more like I enjoy looking at loonix users (I used it 4 years working with it every day, just so you know) that can't objectively reply to my point
>>
>>52632057
Nobody cares about IBM anymore, they're completely irrelevant.
>>
>>52632113
and london + berlin + amsterdam... everywhere CS/IT is a big business.... coincidence?
>>
>>52632087
>Macs are just great devices for programming, especially when its about the stuff thats typically part of a CS curriculum, e.g. C with GCC, Java, Python, functional languages like Haskell. TeX and most unix-tools in general work much better and OSX is probably the best laptop operating system due to the good trackpad integration.

This.

All you have do is download XCode and you have an IDE that supports most everything.

Python comes baked in, but its super easy to brew-install and setup virtualenvs.
>>
>>52632062
>cult
So is being a NEET, at least around here. What makes your cult better? Ours has shiny overpriced hardware and as many chicks (dudes?) as you want.
>>
>>52632124
What is there to say? 95% of macbook pro user have no need for it. They are expensive, no very powerful, a pain in the arse to repair and designed with form over function. Its true that they have a nice display and great battery life but I cant justify the price for what it is.
>>
>>52630164

People want to feel special I guess.
>>
>>52630164
this thread is cancer in so many levels
>>
>>52632164
at least I dont have to deal with the loonix faggots in real life. Macfags are everywhere and are annoying as fuck.
>>
>>52632215
>at least I dont have to deal with the loonix faggots in real life. Macfags are everywhere and are annoying as fuck.

Double bait
>>
>>52630164
Stopped reading at reddit, that's like walking into a gay bar and taking a survey...
>>
>>52632196
the thing is that in /g/ people are supposed to have a WORK in IT which is the most profitable thing you can do right now....if you can get several MBPs a month why would you be butthurt?

Simple, cause 99% of people in /g/ are neets living in the basement and struggling at uni... no offense
>>
>>52632146
Those are incredibly rich countries too
In Slavic countries nobody uses Macs despite being big on IT
>>
>>52630164
At my university the overwhelming majority use Macs.

To be fair battery life is important here.
>>
>>52632278
>In Slavic countries nobody uses Macs despite being big on IT
So are you saying M$ has a monopoly in Europe?
>>
>>52632231
Well, you tell me which is worse. Macfag who wont stop talking about how he will never go back to windows after experiencing his macbook pro, or linux dood sitting in the corner fucking around with his arch install?
>>52632247
You are missing the point. If you wanted to, you could save up your money and buy an Aston Martin, but it isnt the smart way to spend your money.
>>
They are nowhere near as overpriced as people like to make out, the OS is UNIX and specs really don't matter for 99% of programmers as long as its fast enough to run smoothly. Most of the people who care about specs are autistic manchildren who play video games.
>>
>>52632312
Its not fair to compare normal people to autists
>>
>>52632319
Its not normal to obsess over a piece of hardware. Mac users are just as autistic in their own special way.
>>
>>52630164
Who the fuck knows . I am going to college next year and I have no idea what to pursue in to have the skills to create a HUD .
>>
I work in a lab that's working with satellites, and I'll argue more people own macs and dell, acer, asus, etc. combined.

Sure, those with Macs typically dual boot Windows for CAD software or other Windows-specific software, but there's no getting around the fact that MBPs are the best overall hardware choice. They're built to last, or at least a lot longer than the plastic chinky shit you get today. Asus or Acer isn't being some really nice company who cares about you when they give you good specs that's cheap; that just means they gimped in every other area you can't notice, and it makes a difference.
>>
>>52631838
I have, and they have dedicated GPU's and everything. Shit's crazy.

Dunno why you'd buy a gaymen laptop, though. All that shit's overpriced to begin with.
>>
>>52632312
so spending money on a machine that I use to work with to make me more productive is the same as buying a luxury/super car?
>>
Tech retards ITT

Come at me with an actual career in programming before you bash what is basically the gold standard workstation OS.
>>
>>52632380
Assuming that you actually needed the mac os and that you couldnt do your job just as we on a $1000 wangblows pc, 95% of macs are sold to uni student and hipster faggots that have no need and are spending the extra money because they fell for an irl meme
>>
>>52632302
Not in all of Europe, but definitely in eastern Europe. I hardly see any machine that doesn't run windows in Slavlands
>>
>>52632381
b-b-but I'm 27 with 8 years of development experience in multiple job places and working as senior dev in a big company with 10k+ emplyees :'(
>>
>>52632278
not true, at least four people in my uni group have a mbp
t. poland
>>
>>52632424
true, but we are talking about macs in development.. so work.

I know apple users are shit but why should I care? MBPs are definitely worth the money for what they eased me to do. I can perfectly do my job in linux except I often lose time in small things / configs / installations / no hotkeys, no integrations between applications, bad font rendering, etc
>>
>>52632447
Then what the fuck is wrong with you? What do you do, run a Linux distro as your development environment? Anything else and I'll laugh at you
>>
>>52632381
>ITT: Web devs and phone app devs talking out their ass
Very few businesses including tech businesses use Mac. Most offices have windows host machines, a combination of window/linux servers, and Juniper or Cisco routers. The odd office breaks from this formula.
>>
THEY ARE FUCKING COMPUTERS GET THE FUCK OVER IT JESUS CHRIST
>>
>>52632526
this tbqh phamilia
>>
>>52632526
https://youtu.be/wSV1UFbhJ-A
>>
>>52632482
no I'm this guy >>52631867

... not a neckbearded neet ;)
>>
Best build quality
Best looks
Best touchpad
UNIX base

/thread
>>
>>52632019
>>52632087
Did an internship for HP last year and literally nobody there used a macbook. Linux for the servers and windows on the workstations.
And I don't think HP has an requirement for the OS/Hardware, except maybe the monitors.
>>
a lot of people work for large companies with tight controls on the OS. I'm a systems engineer at a large software company and I came from a much smaller non tech company where I could use whatever the hell I wanted, which was Linux mint.

So when I switched jobs they gave me a choice, Windows laptop or top of the line maxed out MBP, for some reason they won't give out laptops with Linux and remote employees can't have desktops, so I took the mbp.

I hated it at first, but once I stopped trying to make the shortcut keys work like Linux, I grew to love it. I don't use much else other than chrome, iterm2, and sublime text, and the finder totally fucking sucks, but i like it enough that I turned my main home Linux rig into a hackintosh
>>
>>52632571
>>52632579
they normally do that cause they have centralised login and a modified version of the os.. the enterprise I work for do release a custom osx version for that, but developers normally just format it to have plain osx as they can join the intranet using a VPN token anyway
>>
>>52632247
I could easily buy several macbooks a month, but I don't because I'm not a fucking moron.

I invest my money and buy cheap PCs to do what I need to do to work.

God you're a fucking idiot, but so are the vast majority of Apple-tards.
>>
>>52632381
The vast majority of programming is done on Windows you fucking shut-in autist.

Windows is the gold-standard you ignorant piece of shit.
>>
>>52632851
> I could easily buy several macbooks a month, but I don't because I'm a fucking moron.

fixed it for you brah

earning 1500 euros / month - 1 MBP is 93% of your salary

earning 15000 euros/month - 1 MBP is 9.3% of your salary

cheap is relative.. idiot?
>>
>>52632863
maybe in the magical world of /g/ where everyone is a wannabe dev that only does pointless algorithms in plain C cause C++ is too edgy
>>
File: 1432663938082.jpg (914 KB, 1728x1152) Image search: [Google]
1432663938082.jpg
914 KB, 1728x1152
>>52630557
this
MBP are decent machines: solid construction, great battery life, and excellent displays. Having a UNIX-based OS is nice too.
That being said, most of the people in my engineering and CS courses are pretty clueless about lots of shit. They wanted to study CS to make video games or do web dev, not learn about finite automata, turing machines, and the math behind computing. zzzz
>>
Computer Science has nothing to do with computers, fuck off with this bullshit.
>>
>>52632851
Being cheap on a device you work on for hours each day is being a moron. Enjoy your HP or Dell then I guess.
>>
File: Apple.png (226 KB, 493x502) Image search: [Google]
Apple.png
226 KB, 493x502
>>52630262
>>
>>52632863
>The vast majority of programming is done on Windows you fucking shut-in autist.
Source: your ass.
>>
>>52632981
they basically want to work in the real world.. I see.. protect yourself with your waifu
>>
>>52630164

>Are most people in cs this clueless to use MBPs for work or is this subreddit a poor sample?

The vast majority of people going into CS want to "Make the next flappy bird", "write the next facebook", or "I dunno, make games or write apps or something". CS has become a geek chic degree which means about as much to most employers as any other degree on your resume, to be honest. You could have an english degree, but a sick portfolio of pretty great webGL elements and samples and get a good job.

The majority of CS Majors are deluded and doomed to failure in most tech industries.

>Honestly wondering what the fuck is going on, people in computing fields are supposed to know better right?

To be entirely fair, the device used in my actual tech jobs matters little. Programming? Unless you need to specifically be on OSX for OSX/iOS programming, platform matters little. Comfort matters more. There's IDEs for basically any major language on any major platform. Help Desk? Once again, matters little. IT support? Same ish. Networking? Enterprise Triage? Network Administration? Doesn't matter for dick. Shit, when I did IT for a small retail chain in my city, I barely even used my own fucking laptop. I was either at POSs, logged into the admin panel on a Windows Server in a rack, or walking around with a hand-scanner.
>>
>>52633190
hey listen to this guy, he sells pcs behind a POS, he knows what he's talking about
>>
>>52630164
This thread again.

Why rMPB for developers?
1. It's not windows, so:
-you get a sane CLI and bundled GNU tools
-sane toolchain: shit that compiles on linux is likely going to compile on your mbp with Clang/GCC
-Homebrew
-you don't have to deal with microsoft-specific edge cases like mmap not really being a thing
2. You don't have to DIY a ArchLinux/Fedora/Debian/Whatever install on your hardware and fiddle with driver quirks that require spending time into the distro wiki.
3. Retina display: it's not the saviour of mankind, but is noticable.

TLDR: it offers a nicer out of the box development experience than windows, doesn't require the effort of a DIY linux install, and has a better display than most (all?) other laptops on the market today.

The battery life is pretty good, too.
>>
>>52630164
>people in computing fields are supposed to know better right?
That's why they're using macs.
>>
>>52631797
>Whats your cv? Do you maintain any big open source project? Whats your CVE list? From people that makes strong statement I would expect to show solid proof for their experience

UX sure is important for the Linux kernel!

>>52631820
>being this butthurt
>how about getting a job?

I have a job. I work with electronics for the offshore oil industry in Norway
>>
>>52633227

>hey listen to this guy, he sells pcs behind a POS, he knows what he's talking about

Wat?
The retail chain was a fucking head shop that sold bongs. I never worked the floor, I did their IT. I setup and maintained their shitty shuttle PCs that ran their POS program.
>>
OP here, thanks for the responses.

You've persuaded me to be less hostile toward the idea of having a MBP for sure, but it does still seem like the main reason is mostly the argument 'it just works'
>>
>>52631867
WTF is this bullshit even. The most well paid developer I know uses a few years old average laptop because he does not need MBP. Stop thinking that everyone making money should make the same decisions as you did.
>>
>>52630557
CS major concentrating in Systems Programming. I use a Mac but have a Linux thinkpad. Also I don't see how what computer you use has to do with CS, unless you went to a shitty school that disguised their SE degree as a CS degree
>>
>>52633844
>UX sure is important for the Linux kernel!

Funny because, most linux dev works on mac with their os in vm
>>
How common are thinkpads
>>
>>52633042
Not him but see >>52632487
It is the gold standard for application and software development because it is the most widely used standard. Now if we are talking about people designing phone shit, or websites it normally is macs.
>>
>>52630164
Hey shithead.

People use Windows because it's got whatever office software they need, and everywhere else they use something different.

People in CS usually use OS X because it's polished UNIX that has all the tools they want (vim, emacs, gcc, clang, whatever the fuck).
>>
>>52634746
Why is that not a good reason? If you work, you want something that just works. Most of your time is spent in a browser, an IDE or some other tool. The rest of the time you're too busy thinking about your work and if that time is spent maintaining your OS, I'm afraid you're not being very productive.
>>
>>52630164
My employer gave me one to work on, everyone has one, I believe they choose the mbp because it's easy to set up and maintain (timemachine), OS X on a MBP is very stable as well, and it offers a more usable shell than windows does. Having everyone bring their own device or install their OS of choice would be a security concern.

A developer not being able to use his machine or having to spend a lot of time on fixing it is more expensive in the end.
>>
>>52630164
>light
>great screen
>unix-like
>supports excel
>given by work, so no cost issues

Yeah I wonder why I'd use this
>>
>>52636239
I fairly convinced you have never worked outside of your basement or some videogame studio, because that is simply not the case. I've had to program in COBOL on ancient Unix machines more than I have programmed on windows.
>>
>>52637382
To clarify, unless you are making the UI for a "app" or whatever they call it, most of your programming is going to be for a Lunix backend.
And no, developing frontend applications like adobe Photoshop is NOT the norm
>>
>>52631867
I have a nice job too. Having a nice job is not a reason to throw away money.
>>
>>52632487
>>52632863
I've only had what I've done, but I've done malicious software research for 2 different institutions, and we've used Mac with Windows vm for running the malware. My other jobs were a software engineer internship with usaa and amex and as long as your laptop was Unix based, it was fine. So most went with os x. It wasn't a Shitty internship either. The usaa one paid $25 and amex $33 an hour
>>
ITT: childish shitposters who have obviously never touched a mac
>>
>>52630243
because glorified 1280x800 is so much better than 1600x900?
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.