[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are you most excited for this year?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: 2016.jpeg.png (445 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
2016.jpeg.png
445 KB, 500x380
What are you most excited for this year?
>>
>>52567496
another possibility for a gentoofriend
>>
ZEN
>>
>>52567496
The possibility that I might just sort my fucking life out
>>
Bideogames
>>
File: n-pepper2-a-20150223.jpg (378 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
n-pepper2-a-20150223.jpg
378 KB, 1600x1200
>>52567496
Robotic technology and possibly AI.
>>
Trransitioning 100% to Gentoo and growing my gentooman beard.
>>
I am finally getting a decent computer (upgrading from a shitty dual core laptop to a full desktop)
>>
VR

Pascal

the future is starting this year
>>
right now Android N
i hope they get over fucking Material Design
>>
>>52567496
Turning 21 so I can fuck myself with gambling.
>>
>>52567844
Just do that with CS: GO cases
>>
>>52567496
Project ARA. Fuck everything else.
>>
>>52567496
Getting fucked by the spooky scary skeletons and the gubbermints.
>>
my suicide
>>
>>52567496
the end of sjw ruining tech
if that's impossible, then maybe a quick and painless death
>>
Self-driving cars holy fuck
>getting to campus while sleeping or shitposting in the car
>>
>>52568724
And then someone hacks your car. Have fun.
>>
>>52567496
a decent sml implementation.
although it won't happen.
>>
>>52568767
Of course there has to be a Luddite afraid of new things...
>>
>>52567589
This.
>>
>>52568767
same principle applies to computers and smartphones; you'd have to be a fucking idiot for it to be hacked or get a virus
>>
Progression of the self-driving car
>>
>>52568794
There's always that one ass that ruins something good for everyone. Self driving cars won't be exempt from this
>>
>>52567496
Apple stocks hitting a new high record that I become a millionaire because I bought the stocks when they were at their lowest.
>>
File: rustled.png (204 KB, 463x293) Image search: [Google]
rustled.png
204 KB, 463x293
In no particular order:
Zen
W-Wayland, r-right /g/uys?
xPoint and cheaper NMVe SSDs
OLED monitors, better monitors in general
Higher capacity SSDs, Mushkin and Samsung come to mind
Finally saying goodbye to 28nm flagship GPUs
Wendelstein 7-X
>>
File: rustled.jpg (69 KB, 676x463) Image search: [Google]
rustled.jpg
69 KB, 676x463
>>52568972
Also,
Cars with auto-pilot
Graphene based products
>>
>>52568972
>OLED monitors
no fucking thanks, i'd rather not have persistent UI elements burn in after a few years
>>
Trump winning the election.
>>
>>52568972
>OLED
I'd be a bit surprised if OLED comes into it's own in 2016, though I have done a ton of research.

Those thin, flexible OLED displays will make larger displays more practical, since moving the display will be as easy as moving a projector screen (roll it up, carry in a tube).
>>
>>52567496

Nothing technology related if that's what you're trying to imply.
>>
>>52568794
>>52568816
>not being a naive retard makes you a luddite
lmao
car companies don't know shit about security and most car computer systems are blatantly unprotected

also enjoy giving every bit of information about your whereabouts and daily habits to whatever megacorp built your shitbox so they can sell it to "trusted" advertising partners
>>
>>52569093
big fuckin deal
if it reduces accidents and lets me fuck around in the car it'll be a damn nice convenience
they'll likely need a lot of that information to make it work in the first place
>>
Pokemon Go
>>
>>52569120
>trusting dumbshit software to think for you on a road that will still be full of dumbshit drivers
your kind of self-driving fantasy is still way far off famalam
>>
>>52569120
Hacking is a pretty big concern. Self-driving cars will be big targets for cyberterrorism, maybe the first real delicious targets besides power and financial.

There will be a small number of configurations, each of them widely used. Due to the nature of self-driving cars, I highly highly doubt they'll enforce an air gap or anything (you'll want to be able to call your car with your phone).

Ideally there will still be some separation, and the networked computer will only communicate with the main one in a limited, well-audited set of ways. In reality, I suspect it'll be a terrible clusterfuck of closed-source, lowest-bidder spaghetti code. We've already seen bugs and terrible coding practices impact much less sophisticated cars in potentially fatal ways, and said driving cars will be way harder to secure.

For instance, the machine-learning-based local navigation, avoidance, etc will be extremely difficult to audit, as are all systems that weren't programmed by humans. Remember that hilarious issue where Google image recognition categorized black people as gorillas due to animals being a disproportionately large part of the training set? There will certainly be unexpected ways to confuse self driving cars.

I live the idea of self-driving cars, and am very excited for the lives and time they'll save, but I wouldn't dismiss the security concerns so readily.
>>
>>52568029
This
>>
Maybe some exciting news regarding the meme drive or those strange readings from that dimming star. Not getting my hopes up.
>>
>>52569608
I could die happy if we discovered an alien superstructure and FTL travel in the same year.
>>
>>52569662
we'd have to master FTL first after discovering it, for advantage.
>>
buying a house this year!!!
>>
>>52569608
>those strange readings from that dimming star
g-gaia?
>>
Another year of waifu technologies slowly puttering along. Here's to hoping that VR will accelerate things.
>>
>>52569809
>falling for the house meme
apartment master race
>>
>>52570037
Fuck living so close to other humans.
>>
>>52570037
having a fixed monthly payment for 30y beats the shit out of suffering through rent spikes
>>
>>52570037
Gaining equity and giving money to the government vs. giving money to some guy who owns the building and gaining nothing.
>>
File: pronounce_gif.gif (483 KB, 301x221) Image search: [Google]
pronounce_gif.gif
483 KB, 301x221
Pascal, gayms, college, another year of shitposting on /g/
>>
LiFi and vr
>>
File: W200-001.jpg (521 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
W200-001.jpg
521 KB, 2000x2000
Gonna build my first pc this year.
>>
>>52572699
You're not allowed to post on /g/ if you haven't already done this, so please shut the fuck up. You've been reported. gg.
>>
>>52567496
moving towns and then continents
>>
Hopefully my suicide
>>
my raise, im way too underpaid as a IT guy for a big game dev studio
>>
>>52567496
getting my house in order and my shit organized, furthering my hobbies and building a nice personal website, among other things

nothing really tech related though, all I see coming is more diminishing returns on the desktop, more shitty overpriced iphone/ipad/macbook clone facebook telescreens that all look and perform alike, more reddit-tier tech money grabs like VR and smartwatches and limp-dick useless SBCs for "maker" hipsters

the future of technology looks boring and bleak to me desu
>>
>>52573138
this fags suicide...
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.