[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one that hates this 'big' phone trend?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
File: 12.png (771 KB, 1098x603) Image search: [Google]
12.png
771 KB, 1098x603
Am I the only one that hates this 'big' phone trend?

Like fuck, the only reason I had an iphone was because I loved the size which was perfect, now it's uncomfortable and was forced to upgrade due to shitty OS compatibility.

Fuck my life, this made me switch to samsung, but that doesn't mean I love samsung now and it's shitty java written OS thats slow as fuck even with x cores.

Anyone feel the same?
>>
>>52555400
>being an icuck
>being a samcuck
>not owning an xperia compact
>>
>>52555400
>double spaced text
hey fucker, stop double spacing your fucking text
>>
Something something manlet
>>
>>52555457
> Using Sony
> Not Motorola
>>
>>52555457
>Fuck my life, this made me switch to samsung, but that doesn't mean I love samsung now and it's shitty java written OS thats slow as fuck even with x cores.
Can't agree more, they should've made android work with C++ but it'll be hard for them to stick with their 'global adaptability' or whatever since it'll be hard to make it compatible for many things compared to something written in java.

Like you I don't know what phone to use anymore so I just have a shitty winblows phone that people look at as if I'm broke since it's not a iphone or a samsung/
>>
i have a 5.5 inch phone and I love it. It's like a pocket sized version of my old ipad, and I use it with one hand 75% of the time. The trick is to just hold it like you would a remote control as you aim it at the TV, with your thumb craning over it to use the touchscreen. Also the new 'big' phones are actually less noticeable in your pocket than the smaller candybar ones because they're all so thin that they just lay flush against your thigh
>>
>>52555733
not when you wear slim jeans
>>
5.96" Nexus 6 owner reporting in
>>
>java is bad

When will this meme end?
>>
>>52555780
Why would you do that?
>>
I own a 64 gb note 5 and a Z3. I love both in different ways.
>>
I thought i hated it, i thoroughly enjoy my S6, but i have been testing a buddies note 4 for the last few days and holy crap it's gorgeous. I am now looking at note 5's online.
>>
>>52556365
Because we actually care about our looks which gets us pussy
>>
>implying apple is not shit
Samsung master race. But seriously, literally anything but ibrick.
>>
stop using your state-promoted trackerdevice faggot
>>
I have an lg g4, fits perfectly in my palm and in my pocket. I don't see a problem unless phones get bigger. Phones should just stop around this size. And the video aesthetics isn't affected by the fact that it isn't a borderline tablet being stuffed into your pocket.
>>
>>52556429
OP clearly mentioned the flaws between the 2 and why he preferred ishit, which was mainly because of how small it was compared to the tablet that is Samsung with it's 8 cores or whatever and shit speed because JAVA BASED OS LOL.

Too lazy to read?
>>
Wait, android is written in java?
>>
>>52556467
No. OP is a faggot
>>
>>52556467
He probably meant the apps, which run slow as fuck because they are java based so thats why Samsung's are that big with the specs they add to keep up with them.

The OS runs in some sort of linux kernel with some C and C++ added to it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the OS part.
>>
sony xperia compact is pretty good. Too bad sony doesn't care about their phone business.
>>
File: wdada.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
wdada.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
Reminder that Samsung-fags are using unsafe shits which google tries to hide from you so they don't lose sales.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/21/google-denies-linux-flaw-is-a-serious-android-security-issue/
>>
>>52556561
Yeah they used to submit android patches to Linux, but they were so shit Linux stopped accepting them. I'm pretty sure they maintain their own tree now, but maybe they've gotten better by now.
>>
>>52556561
why are java apps slow
>>
>>52555482
Lelnovo
>>
>>52556716
... you're in a technology board and you don't know this? Because they run through virtual machines or something of that sort (I forgot the specific name but it's just like that) and it takes time to render, whereas c/c++ really straight forward and runs from the get go instead of rendering it and then showing it on screen (like android).

But if you look at it this way, java is more adaptable and easier to code and less messy than objective c/c++ since java simplifies a lot of things and even has built in libraries that let you do stuff like adding exceptions (catch(exception e)) way easy, where as in c++/c is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>52555400

No

I have a Zenfone 2 and it makes me miss my Nexus 5, RIP

BIG SCREENS are a pain in the ass
>>
>>52555482
Sony is superior
>>
>>52556757
I bet you are the same kind of shit who likes them so thin that they can't survive a minor impact.
>>
>>52555400
Oneplus One masterrace
>>
>>52556749
This is the worst explanation of something I have ever heard. You're in a technology board and you don't know this?

It's nothing to do with rendering then showing vs showing, how does that even make sense? Java is just a slower language, and it attracts shittier devs. It's also garbage collected, another barrier to performance. It's possible to write great code in, but it's easy to write code that will perform painfully slow. C++ has exceptions also.
>>
>>52555400
>Am I the only one that hates this 'big' phone trend?
No. I fucking despise this new trend of 5"+ phones. I know what size phone I want (4") but there aren't any good ones without gimped specs. It's extremely frustrating when you know exactly what kind of tech you want, but manufacturers won't make it because of muh thinness and screen size meme.
>>
>>52555400
>shitty java written OS thats slow as fuck
Don't. Use. The. Stock. ROM.
>>
>>52558142
>t's also garbage collected, another barrier to performance.
How so?
>>
>>52555400
I'm with you OP
I like 5" phones, bigger is just retarded
>>
File: 1431056556209.gif (2 MB, 296x142) Image search: [Google]
1431056556209.gif
2 MB, 296x142
>>52556749
This shit is so wrong it hurts.
In older times, Java was indeed a much slower language as it was only an interpreted language. It stopped being that a long time ago now. The main reasons Java is still seen as a slow language is because the VM it runs it takes some time to startup, and graphical frontends like swing are just fucking garbage.
With recent updates however, properly written Java code can execute at comparable speeds to programs written in C/C++/C#/etc. Some aspects are a bit slower, some are actually slightly faster.
The thing still true about Java? It's a memory hog. That's why those smartphones need piles of RAM, it's mostly for the sake of Java.
>>
>>52555472
not even him but why?
>>
>>52557775
>Sony
>superior

Pick one, sonygger.
>>
>>52559925
There is no way to run garbage collection in your application without the entire application pausing to let the GC examine it's memory. So if you application is memory hungry, it has to pause entirely all the time to let the GC work. The pauses are only small, but they can add up.

It's why Minecraft has such large performance issues. You can look and see that Minecraft doesn't actually use a huge amount of memory, so it looks ok. But most of that memory is being deleted and replaced with new data every second or so. It creates something like 50MiB/s when standing completely still, doing nothing. If you move, it goes up to something crazy like 500MiB/s.
>>
As someone with hands the size of dinner plates, I thoroughly enjoy this new trend of big phones. I can finally type on a touch screen without hitting 3 keys everytime I try to input a single letter.
>>
>>52555400
You're definitely not alone.

Loved my Nokia N9 and thought that with it's 4" screen it was pretty much the perfect size for a smartphone. Then I had to upgrade and went for the 4,7" Lumia 920 and that's basically at the edge of what I can tolerate. Now it feels like the only phones under 5" are all mid and low end devices with the higher end devices all being close to if not larger than 6".
>>
>>52555457
Yeah boi
>>
>>52556330

When it stops being true
>i.e. never
>>
>PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD SAYING THAT JAVA WILL EVER BE AS FAST AS C++ OR C

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY THE DELUSION
>>
I totally agree with OP, phones have become ridiculous. My phone is actually bigger than my dick now. My 5.2" Nexus 5X is actually considered normal or even small, just like my dick!
>>
>>52562873
>Oracle spends years and tens of thousands of engineer man hours on runtime optimizations
>Still sucks compared to well written code in lower level languages
>The "gains" literally rely on code written in lower level languages not being properly optimized or allow compilers to do optimizations like vectorization
Say what you want, but when you try to get performance out of interpreted languages you're always going to be engineering around fundamental problems.
>>
>>52561881
I'll take two pls
>>
>>52562946
Java isn't interpreted anymore though. With the JIT that the JVM uses, there are even cases where the runtime optimization it provides make it FASTER than C/C++.

Autists on /g/ who formed the entirety of their opinion on Java from the shittyness of the web plugin, pls leave.
>>
>>52562946
You know that the reason why people think GoLang will replace java is because those fuckers in Oracle couldn't do a single shit right did you know that eh? Google sole reason and opportunity in making a new replacement for java was only possible for them getting cocky and lacking, many companies (including the one I work in) complain that java is slow and shit because Oracle does a poor job trying to fix their issues after buying sun.
>>
>>52563943
Meant to quote >>52563470
>>
>>52563943

java sucks m8 get over it
>>
>>52555400
>not using an older phone
What do you need your quad core overspecced shit for
>>
>>52562933
Blame the niggers
>>
>>52555400
Eh, I disliked the idea of a big phone when I was still using a 3.8" phone, but now I have a 5" one and I quite like it. Slightly too big to be used comfortably, but the extra screen space easily makes up for that.
Wouldn't want anything bigger though.
>>
Big phones are the best for people with bad eyes, which is most people
>>
>>52564915
you dont need a big phone if you're nearsighted ..
>>
>>52564955
I'm nearsighted and have astigmatism, same with my dad also my mom has macular degeneration. All of us are more comfortable with larger phones. Honestly the market has spoken on this. I don't see the point in complaining about it. It's not like the iPhone 5s is horribly outdated. In fact isn't Apple making a new small phone?
>>
>>52555780
I doubt they make slim jeans for legs the diameter of large saplings
>>
>>52564987
They are actually just trying to make it thinner, not smaller.
>>
When the Droid RAZR came out, it was supposed to be just one step in the continuing miniaturization of computers. Now all the top-of-the-line smartphones are phablets.

What happened? Did we forget how to make tiny electronics?
>>
File: Motorola-ROKR-E1-with-iTunes.jpg (139 KB, 800x650) Image search: [Google]
Motorola-ROKR-E1-with-iTunes.jpg
139 KB, 800x650
pic related was best phone I ever owned. Perfect design, lightweight but heavy enough to show quality, beatiful GUI, easy accessibility, perfect music support, unique use of background lighting in the button layout.

This was one of the only good phones that Apple had an influence on. It's a shame that Motorola has produced such shit lately.
>>
>>52555400
I'm pretty sure the only reason this is a thing is because they need large batteries to keep up with the amount of power needed to run the phone.
>>
iPhone 6 is the perfect size IMO

Phone size should top off at 4.7 inches
>>
>>52555524
Except theres the Android NDK you cuck
>>
>>52556404
No one fucking wears slim jeans.
>>
>>52566203
Sure thing dad, keep wearing those straight cut jeans you love so much.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (112 KB, 1453x1016) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
112 KB, 1453x1016
>>52555400
I love it. I use my phone more than my computer.

Waiting for an IPS 1440p 6'' S820 so i can upgrade.
>>
>>52566246
No one that isn't an anorexic can fit into slim jeans.
>>
>>52566318
Sure thing you whale.
>>
File: intubated.png (33 KB, 625x486) Image search: [Google]
intubated.png
33 KB, 625x486
>>52555400
Remember people in the early oughts joking about the future of phones being impractically miniscule, because they kept trending to be smaller and smaller? Who might've foreseen this new large phone trend?
>>
Remember when technology pushed stuff to be smallers and compact sized instead of being as big as a fucking supercomputer from the 1920's?

Me too..
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.