[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are landline phones obsolete in 2016?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2
Are landline phones obsolete in 2016?
>>
>>52536697
Not really. They're simpler, more reliable, and many people still use them.
>>
Try 2012.
>>
>>52536697
They've pretty much been obsolete for a while now.

I haven't had a landline in over 15 years.
>>
>>52536697
I still have one in my.home and the only people that call it are telemarketers
>>
>>52536697
Unless its VOIP then yes
>>
>>52537316
Same
>>
>>52536716
"no"
>>
they're useful in office settings (on internal networks where you can dial short extensions)

the only calls I got on my home landline for the past 5 years have been telemarketers
ditched it and now I only have a cell phone
>>
I only keep one to dial 911, nothing else.
>>
>>52537316
This. The only reason I have kept mine is because of my shitty bundle. It's funny how if I remove it, the TV and Internet prices jump up just enough for my bill to be the same again.

America, ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>52536697
only non copper lines
>>
>>52538178
>paying for cable tv
>>
>>52538173
This. It's good to have one in emergency situations, especially if you have underground lines. No power? A basic handset will still work.
>>
>>52536697
no, because the local exchanges (where the telephoneline from your house goes to) use voip equioment that is far better than any consumer grade device, so it is better to keep the old landline-phone rather than buying some cheap voip converter with bad voice quality. In fact it's even possible that the old phone + professional voip equip. will work better!
>>
File: kappa.png (94 KB, 273x397) Image search: [Google]
kappa.png
94 KB, 273x397
>>52536697
My internet uses phone lines
>>
>>52538198
lololol funny name anon!
>>
>>52538198
If I remove the TV too the internet price will go up the same way to make my bill the same as before.
>>
I got rid of mine in 2014. My carrier didn't pull any shit like this >>52538178 and I save a pretty good amount. I wanted to keep it because landlines are not dependent on power, which can be valuable when I'm buried under 10 feet of snow (a very real possibility where I live). However, landlines by me are being phased out in favor of VOIP connections and they'll even refuse to repair an old landline if you're unwilling to move to VOIP, so keeping it was just a useless expense. I even had the old number ported to my cell.
>>
>>52538178
>>52539246
I swear to God, do you use TWC?
If you want a better deal, call in and tell them you need to cancel the service, you'll be transfered to retentions and they'll give you a much better deal, and prolly cut that shit out. Also hassle them about the price changes for 2016.
>>
>>52536697
You can only log out via landline phone.

Sheeple.
>>
>>52536697
Got one that works for when the power goes out that's about it
>>
depends if your home security system rapes you for a cell based service.
>>
>>52539489
Pretty much.. It's Charter but TWC and Charter are gonna merge by the end of this year anyway m.... Where are you Google? Even if you're botnet, please don't pull shit like this...
>>
>>52538178
It was cheaper to buy the bundle so I did, I just ripped out the house phone and just use the internet. Best thing I ever did. Take that indians.
>>
>>52536716
Try 2006.

At least that's how it was here in Europe.
>>
I know single mom's use them to stay in contact with their kids.. It's cheap or they have it from a bundle.
>>
I still prefer a landline phone over a mobile one. It's more comfortable to hold, calls are cheaper, and I know where it is - right on my desk, and not in the pockets of a jacket discarded somewhere in my apartment.

Landlines used to be more reliable, too. But not anymore, with this VOIP shit you get at least as many dropped calls as with mobile phones.
>>
>>52536697

Land lines, by which I mean wired ones (900MHz or 2700MHz wireless home phones) were SO much nicer to talk on than modern phones.

These days you're probably talking from one GSM phone, through your mobile provider, to another mobile provider, possibly with a codec changes, then out to the other GSM phone. Or even worse, to a CDMA network, or to some VOIP system.

Modern phones have a ton of latency, which leads to the "I ... uh, no, go ahead. No, you go ahead" walkie-talkie nonsense. And often times their sound quality is complete shit. Add in tinniness from some low-budget VOIP setup and your calls sound like ass.

You used to be able to have real conversations over the phone. You could almost hear body language.

That's probably why kids these days mostly text. Not because it's so much better than talking, but because modern voice communication is so shitty.
>>
>>52540373

Oops. Supposed to read "NOT 900MHz...". Derp.
>>
>>52536697
Landline is the only phone I have.

Just had no use for a mobile, my work has a roster and if they want someone to fill in either I am home and can help them or I am out and therefore cannot.

Only had a mobile for a few years (in my 40's) but really didn't like the "always contactable, must check messages" feeling it gave.

Have to lose the landline by the end of this year though as all the copper in my area is being disconnected due to fibre upgrades.
>>
>>52536697

The main reason we keep ours is because the alarm system is connected to it
>>
>>52539570
>they tell you robbers can cut the lines
>what they don't tell you is they can also just jam cell signals
Top jew
>>
Eh, not really... However, most landline phones are just ran over IP nowadays (using SIP) so I really don't understand the appeal.
>>
I've always hated the call quality of mobile phones. Is using a nice set of headphones and a blue yeti with skype calls any good?
>>
>>52538154
I have my work cell set to ring simultaneously with my office line. Only actually use the desk phone when it's a conference call that I know I'm not going to be talking on, or headset required scenario. 90% of the time I pick up the cell.
>>
they're a fucking cheap way to give your organization phone access if you buy a t1 line
>>
>>52542153
>2016
>Not using OC line
>>
As someone who works in telcom:

Pick up a landline - ever expect to NOT hear a dial tone?

Try to place a call with a cell - is it abnormal for that to fail and need retried?

One network was created for scalability and robustness to always work. The other network was created to generate as much profit as possible and oversold.

This is why in large emergencies a cell network is fucked. Towers can only hold an extremely small percentage of total customers at a time.

Then of course you have the simple fact that emegency 911 calls with landlines will also transmit your physical address and home layout in many cases. With a cell phone you can still call 911 but you need to provide more details yourself. In some cases that's fine - in others it could lead to huge issues.

This of course doesn't even touch on much of the landline infrastructure being replaced with VoIP.
>>
>>52542224

Where do you work in telecom where IP isn't rapidly replacing your phone system? I guess if you live outside of the U.S., maybe. Even AT&T is sunsetting PTSN in favor for IP. Also, cell phones have gotten way better. Still not perfect, but cell phone networks were designed to support phones over... well... Radio. Radio is far more likely to have issues with interference and of course isn't as reliable as landlines because it's all over radio...

Which brings us to an important point, cell phone networks weren't inherently designed "to generate as much profit as possible and to be oversold." I feel like that's a really major misconception with cell phones and it isn't really true. You work for telecom, yet you're selling hype that is technically inaccurate? Nice.

Regardless, I work in FTTx, we use battery back ups on our ONTs to support phone services for ~8 hours after a power outage, it's no where near as reliable as POTS, but POTS is dying. It's not feasible to maintain with dated equipment, half of which AT&T had to use eBay to get parts to replace different components with (see the FCC sunset filing).

IP phone is the future. As in, the near-er future.
>>
>>52540373
get over yourself
>>
Voice quality on the landline is superior.

Makes me rage a little when my wireless offers enhanced quality voice for an additional charge.
>>
>>52536714
How are they more reliable? Simpler perhaps, although that's not much of a benefit in the case of a phone
>>
>>52543386
Ever been in a power outage?
>>
>>52543907
So...how does that make a landline more reliable? Also not really, /g/ talks like they're common but get maybe one or two a year here in the UK
>>
>>52543945
landlines work during a power outage

or are you too young to remember rotary phones?
>>
>>52543907
>Ever been in a power outage?
3rd worlders may not apply
>>
>>52544217
So do mobile phones though
>>
>>52536697
They are being removed this year in my country
>>
>>52544436
>tower down
>>
>>52545224
>>52544436
>>52544402

Which doesn't even matter if its IP on the back end, which the U.S. is switching to almost entirely. Have phone through cable or fiber optics? Then unless you have a battery back up, no phone service.
>>
>>52541684
>Tyrone and Jamal pull up to your house at 1 am in their '94 impala
>aight Tyrone, start up that cellphone jammer muh nigga, let's rob this cracka
>>
>>52544514

Which country?
>>
>>52545833
Switzerland. All telephones lines are being removed and all wired telephone will have to be used trough a modem and internet
>>
>>52540373
>You could almost hear body language

What the fuck am I reading?
>>
>>52539517
under rated post. 5 stars. mfw2 when i have no face.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.