[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I remember back in the day when everyone would play Halo 2/3
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: The-Oculus-Rift-headset-i-010.jpg (98 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
The-Oculus-Rift-headset-i-010.jpg
98 KB, 620x372
I remember back in the day when everyone would play Halo 2/3 on splitscreen in parties of 4, drinking beers, playing together on xbox live or against others in the same house on LAN. Playing casual, but serious. Could see other peoples faces after a kill or event.

Now splitscreen is no longer a thing and virtual reality seems to have taken over or at least the shills say it has. They say that this the future. Are the good times gone? Is face to face in the same tv, coop gone for good? Are they really doing this to us?
>>
>>>/v/
>>
Nah mate you just dont have friends
>>
>>52536758
You what?
>>
>>52536694
>nostalgic over Halo
kids shouldn't be allowed on the internet
>>
>>52536800
I-I'm 32
>>
>>52536807
From all these chumps gushing over Halo you'd think nobody ever owned an N64 and got to experience goldeneye paintball.

Best co-op FPS was Duke Nukem 3D.
Best competitive FPS was Quake 3 Arena (honorable mention for the first Quake)
Best single player FPS was Doom
>>
>>52536882
For you.
>>
>>52536882
That whole post was nostalgic cancer.
Those are good games, but you can't honestly tell me you think they are still THE best.
>>
>>52536694
Its gonna be like in fucking SAO, but yeah era of splitscreen is transformed for VR - two screens 4 u
>>
File: Lan parties.jpg (672 KB, 1100x888) Image search: [Google]
Lan parties.jpg
672 KB, 1100x888
>>52536694
Same TV stuff may be dead but lan parties are still possible, they just need more work put into them. And more power while you hope not to trip the room's breaker.
>>
>>52537023
You're cancer.
Re-read the post and work on your reading comprehension. Key words are key.
You're high as fuck if you are going to try to claim any game made in the past 10 years is any good. EA, Activision, and Ubisoft have ruined everything and the Jews have you all trained to spend hundreds on shitty partially made games instead of having a fully made game out of the box and being able to optionally buy full-featured expansion packs.
>>
My name is blurry face and I care what you think

>>52537079
Try not to be so fucking jaded anon.
>>
>>52537060
>Same TV stuff may be dead
but why? Halo 3 could do it, and it was running on a toaster. What are you supposed to do when you have like 6+ people over?
>>
>>52537093
Try not being so content with shit sandwiches for the past decade and demand higher quality games and some fucking respect from these greedy publishers.
>>
>>52537060
I remember in college around 2004 I went to a local LAN gaming place called "game planet" or something at strip mall.

When I walked in it was dark, empty, smelly and there was one guy on a shitty desktop computer who clearly had skid marks the butt of his pants.

I'll never forget that
>>
>>52536694
Who the fuck has time to get together and play games?
>>
>>52537174
Friends will always find a way ;_;
>>
>>52537174
Just invite your friends over to your house to drink beers and if you have any friends you'll want to play splitscreen games desu
>>
>you will never defeat the turbo autists at your local university during Super Starfox Weekend, winning a cool bomber jacket, a set of aviators and an all expense paid trip to meet Fox McCloud

When we was young, oh man did we have fun
>>
>>52537079
Eh, the best route for me has been always buy from mod developers.
Like Squad is made by the devs of project reality.
Or Dayz, I know Dean personally.
But Bethesda is being greedy as fuck.
>>
>>52537374
>meet Fox McCloud

Uh, what was he like?
>>
Know what my personal problem is with modern gaming?

Think back to the days of the Playstation. Many games had crude graphics and somewhat empty worlds, but you could tell where their ambition was going. Worlds were getting bigger, more content was being added, and yes, graphics were steadily improving. The trend more or less continued into the PS2 days.

Once we hit 6th gen, however, it became all about the "cinematic experience". Worlds shrank until they became corridors with set pieces and QTEs, content became something you buy later (or even at launch), and replayability came in the form of achievements. But damn if they don't look good, eh?
>>
>>52536694
I have people over to play split screen games and drink every week you just need to get friends that enjoy that kind of thing.
>>
>>52537813
Eh's a pretty cool guy, he barrel rolls and doesn't afraid of anything.
>>
>>52536694
The good times faded when technology out grew its users.
>>
>>52537530
Bethesda was the final nail in id's coffin.
Also
>buying from mod developers
this is just as bad as buying from the publishers and is everything wrong with games today
mods were optional and free and created purely as a hobby people enjoyed together and shared with each other; entire game communities sprung up from the modding scenes for said games.
Now modding is just another cash grab.
>>
Another day, another lame ass nostalgiafaggot in the making.

Tech didn't get worse, the "good times" didn't go away, YOU became a bitter, unreachable fuck.

Swear to fucking god, I'd take a loan out to have more money to bet that if you could magically go back in time to your "good times", you'd forsake them all over again.

Admit this now and go find out what you've been missing. Or, you can go find some obscure IRC circleojerklio with 6 people who "get it" and you can bleed out slowly over the next 20 years as you all start to fucking lose it.
>>
>>52537079
This post is funny, real funny, and I do mean ha-ha funny. Because 80s turds say the exact same shit with the exact same fervour, just replace the company names. It's positively astounding how the various decade-faggots are so clueless and intent on ignoring one another so they can't see this pattern repeat. Will the "normie millenials" you're so fond of hating say the same thing about angry birds in say, 10 more years?
>>
>>52536694

I remember back in the day when everyone would play Quake or Unreal Tournament on their own computers at lan parties of 16, drinking beers, playing together or against others in the same house on LAN. Playing casual, but serious. Could see other peoples faces after a kill or event.

Now with high-speed internet, lan parties are no longer a thing and virtual reality seems to have taken over or at least the shills say it has. They say that this the future. Are the good times gone? Is face to face in the same tv, coop gone for good? Are they really doing this to us?
>>
>>52538086
>80s turds blah blah
gonna need citation on that, mate.
Pretty much anybody who isn't some newfag 'omgimsonerdy' "gamer" can pretty much tell you that the best games of all time all came out in a period between roughly 1984 and 2005.
Not a single original or innovative game has come out after 2005. They're all dead soul-less cookie-cutter cash grabs and you sheep eat it up and throw your cash at these assholes who've shit on you; they've shit on your face and you're paying them asking "please sir may I have some more?"
Clueless.
>>
>>52538155
(Or, the TLDR version: O Tempora! O Mores!)
>>
Everyone just stares at their own screen anyway in split screen. Keep crying, OP.
>>
>>52537111
>having friends
>having friends that want to leave the house
>>
>>52538191
Thats not the point, anon
>>
>>52538156
ten years ago, shits like you would have said the timeframe when all the good games happened was more like 1978-1994, and everything released through 1995-2005 was garbage

funny how it works like that
>>
>>52538247
Except nobody was saying that 10 years ago. You would know if you were around then. 10 years ago we were bright-eyed and optimistic about the upcoming games for the new 360, PS3, and Wii, getting repeatedly disappointed at the trash that started coming out.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1440379416527.jpg (33 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1440379416527.jpg
33 KB, 540x960
>>52537079
>key words are key
>>
>>52538264
>10 years ago we were bright-eyed and optimistic about the upcoming games
yeah you were. because you were a certain age

the people you weren't talking to, who were born about ten years earlier than you, weren't in the same frame of mind

I would think you were trolling, if not for the fact that the dipshits on /vr/ say the same shit all the time.
>>
>>52538303
>10 years ago your co-workers were all the same age as you
Why are you writing about things you know nothing about?
>>
>>52538339
What? Was that supposed to mean something? Yeah, I bet your fucking coworkers were excited about the fucking Xbox 360 in 2005, just like there are people excited about video games now. Lots of people have said that 2015 was the best year in video games since 1998, but I guess they just weren't playing video games back in 1998 and are making shit up.

Everybody who doesn't agree with you about video games must be a 12 year old. That's it.
>>
>>52538407
>backpedaling on his age argument
and here we are with people's 360s and ps3s shelved and people buying up saturns, dreamcasts, gamecubes, ps2s, and super nintendos instead. But no that's clearly just being a nostalgiafag there's no way that the games are just legitimately better and people are looking for the fun in games again.
>2015 best year since 1998
literally who said that

12 year olds aren't allowed on this site. Mods need to be paged.
>>
>>52538247
>>52538303
>>52538407

wow, I honestly thought this was me posting and I had temporary amnesia and forgot or something.

finally someone else who shares my nostalgia hate.

>>52538462
It's somewhat rare but I know people who refer to the gamecube/ps2 as "retro" and somehow simply ignore anything before it. Also seen the same shit from snes/genesis fags about the atari. now, I'm not going to try to pretend that games simply have not changed in the past 25 years, I understand you have a point, but my favourite example of this is final fantasy fags.

I know three who all were snes era and say the best one was IV, V, and VI, respectively. each one was of course the only one they had, and only played the others years later when they were adults and of course judged it as an adult and of course insist they're shit. Each one of these individuals insists theirs is the best yet has zero reasons as to why, and yet flips turbo shit when any of the others mention the ones they didn't have.

every single one of them draws a complete blank on any FF game made before or after or simply dismiss them as shit. Hilariously they even retroactively dismiss ones made earlier than their precious chosen game since again they are seeing those as an adult. This is practically cartoon character behavior.

simply saying "everything after 200X is terrible" is essentially the same facet of this mentality and it's so sad to see this because it basically looks like the game never mattered at all and it simply boils down to which ones you had when you were 4 - 15.
>>
>>52537872
Lack of ambition is my biggest pet peeve too. You cant have large AAA innovative games these days.
Its either the big publisher making shallow rehashes that look pretty (and only pretty enough that consoles can handle) or its the small studios making niche titles lacking either technology, fidelity or content.

The biggest game im looking forward to is Xcom2, and even that relied on a hit reboot to justify itself.
>>
>>52538892
>simply saying "everything after 200X is terrible" is essentially the same facet of this mentality and it's so sad to see this because it basically looks like the game never mattered at all and it simply boils down to which ones you had when you were 4 - 15.
That's why I don't put a year on it. I just say that I have no intention of buying any of the current console generation because they finally went too far with the DRM, massive patches, lengthy installs, DLC, and pay-to-win shenanigans. I still play a few modern PC games because that model is more acceptable on a PC. Any console with a setup process more involved than insert media and memory, insert controller, boot, play is an objective failure.
>>
>>52538892
Oh wow, I'm actually reading a well-reasoned and well-written response.
I agree on the final fantasy morons but, to be fair, the last quality FF was 10. I don't know what happened but SquareEnix just completely lost the spirit that they used to put into their FF games. I didn't play VI until well after playing IX but VI really does come off to me as being the most well-presented story with the best characters (at least, certainly the best antagonist) of any FF.

The reason I'm saying everything after 2005 is terrible is because I haven't played a single game made after that year that I've been like "yeah that was worth my time and I had fun/enjoyed playing this. What a well-made game!". However, I'm doing blind-plays of games I never got around to playing until recently, having a ton of fun, and finding out it's made in like 2002 or 1999. A great example would be LoZ: Wind Waker. When it first came out I was like wow this isn't zelda fuck that shit I want my old zelda back. I actually played through it a year or two ago now and it's probably my favorite zelda. It was made in 2002.

I don't remember anything about silent hill despite playing it back when it first came out. I'm doing a run through 1, 2, and, soon, 3, having an absolute blast. This shit is scary as fuck. I hear 2 is the best of the series and it came out in 2001.

Despite how dreadfully dull it looks, I'll be giving Dark Souls and Bloodbourne a chance this weekend. I'm doing my best to not think about it too hard but all the hype has me turned off of it already since people creamed their jeans over Modern Battlefield Ghost Ops 8. We'll see.
>>
>>52537079
You probably call yourself a "nineties kid" huh?
>>
>>52536694
>I remember back in the day when everyone would play Halo 2/3 on splitscreen in parties of 4
>not remembering playing golden eye and perfect dark split screen
>we will never again have an FPS where your arms are not statically glued to the direction your head is facing
>>
>>52538892
Like it or not the gamecube era games are classed as retro now, they're well over a decade old
>>
>>52536694
Explain to me how LAN is somehow better when you have to share a single screen.
>>
>>52536694
Lan parties are still possible with laptops, it's just the people that have changed. I tried organising a lan party a few weeks ago, no one was interested :(

Was looking forward to some halo ce and totala.
>>
>>52539487
Do vpn services like openvpn from dd-wrt and cisco vpn work well for gaming? I've honestly never tried. Did hamachi once but it was very slow and bad.

Love the shit out of starcraft and set up a pvpgn server for some friends, playing the single player campaign co-op mod someone made and it is quite comfy

It isn't as fun as being in person, I know, but it's still a great option
>>
>playing splitscreen bullshit
No, I was playing on a LAN with Doom and Quake with the big boys where everyone played on his own goddamn PC instead of with your cheap little toys that had to crowd everyone's game screen into one TV which was fucking shit.
>>
>>52539541
So you had no friends.
>>
>gaming these days is 100% JEW
spending $100 dollars on a game that can only be played with an internet connection is fucking retarded.
>>
>>52539528
Wouldn't have a clue. Just choose local lan settings for halo ce in multi-player after disabling firewall and it just works. Used a standard optus modem router that came with the internet.
>>
>>52539233
>he refers to himself as a kid
time for you to grow up
>>
>>52539157
Not who you were talking to, but I just recently got into Dark Souls 2 after getting it in a mystery bundle. I have to say after not being too into the first one, I'm genuinely enjoying it. I'm kinda glad I avoided the hypetrain and am playing it late, but I'm looking forward to DS3 now.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.