[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how can i make el capitan usable? pic not related.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: Apple-Computer.jpg (66 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Apple-Computer.jpg
66 KB, 600x450
how can i make el capitan usable?

pic not related.
>>
>>52535058
gentoo
>>
>>52535058
>install parallels
>windows 10 ISO
>fullscreen mode with maximal resource access

there you go
>>
>>52535058
install gentoo
>>
>>52535058
>how can i make el capitan usable?
Change your attitude.
Once you stop trying to fight the computer and simply use it to get things done you'll find it much more pleasant.
>>
>>52535069
but windows 10 is shit

>>52535073
i tried and it almost burnt down my house

>>52535098
then i might as well use windows
>>
>>52535058
It's already usable.
>>
>>52535058
Bettertouchtool is a massively useful application.

Pray that whatever you are doing plays nice with Mac OS. I was getting pretty comfy with el capitan until I tried to install some web server software which could technically work but had no chance realistically without the dev supporting mac os. Back to Ubuntu, apt-get install thing_i_need and get working,
>>
>>52535185
but its not

>i have all these preloaded pointless software >like iphoto and itunes.
>my home folder has this "public" folder i cannot delete.
>finder opens to this "all files" view which is really annoying. no organization what-so-ever.
>i don't use wifi so i disabled it, but i cannot add a network icon to my menu bar? only the wifi icon??
>i don't use the notifications thing and i cannot disable it and remove it from my menu bar to free up space
>i can't move the spotlight icon all the way to the left, in front of the notification button to make it more accessible by just throwing my cursor over there.
>how does one install software outside of the store? apparently mac doesn't allow this anymore?
>why does my mouse become mcdonalds supersize me size when i move my mouse really fast?
>the terminal doesn't save history even though it says "saving history" when i type "exit"
>no nice lm_sensors or hwinfo64 type program for mac from what i can notice
>safari doesn't play webms??????
>itunes doesn't play flacs?
>no cpu-z type program for mac?
>how can i make the green button not fullscreen every single thing?
>>
>>52535418
I'm
>>52535365
- I solved a lot of the same issues you have just using quick google searches. You obviously just don't want to use mac os though. Use something else.
>>
Once I fixed homebrew everything was fine

I noticed no differences aside from the folder structure
>>
>>52535527
i do want to use it but its kinda hard when out of the box its unusable.
>>
>>52535058
install firefox and just use that full screen
>>
>>52535571
Well for one safari and itunes are just shite. For some reason you can't remove basic stuff and I didn't ever solve that. If you use a real browser like chromium you'll have a better experience. I ain't gonna be your tech support though, that shit's all too easy to have an excuse for someone on /g/.
>>
really is there no network icon outside of the pointless wifi icon?
how does the terminal not save history?

who thought it was a great idea to set finders default to all files??? i finally noticed you can change it in the finder preferences.
>>
>>52535612
if its so easy then why does google not find anything for turning the green button into a normal expand window button?
>>
>>52535652
because Mac OS has a different paradigm for what maximisation is. You're trying to shoehorn some other system into it.

Really, try bettertouchtool. You can set ex. super+up arrow to do what you think the maximise should do.
>>
how does one set the default view for all windows in finder?

from what i can tell i have to set every single window, every single folder myself???
>>
>>52535058
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>52535725
some pic i found on google images when searching for apple computer girl

does mail not support delete mail off of server once mail is deleted? when i delete mail it doesn't remove it from all-mail
>>
Step one:
Install Yosemite.
Step two:
Install mavericks
I wish I was joking.
I fucking wish I still had "Install OS X Mavericks.app"
Fuck yosemite and god dam forced kekt signing.
I want my sshfs back.
>>
>>52535098
Fucking SSHFS.
What, am I supposed to install a samba server on every *nux device I own?
Fuck that shit.
>>
ok making a list of all my fixes so far to help others.

open terminal, type sudo rm -rf /Users/YOUR_NAME/Public
>finder opens to this "all files" view which is really annoying. no organization what-so-ever.
go to finder in the menu bar and click preferences. there's a drop down menu on the first tab and change it to whatever you want
>how does one install software outside of the store? apparently mac doesn't allow this anymore?
open system preferences - security & privacy - click the lock at the bottom left coroner to unlock - and check "anywhere" under allow apps downloaded from: on the first tab
>why does my mouse become mcdonalds supersize me size when i move my mouse really fast?
open system preferences - accessibility - display - uncheck shake mouse pointer to locate
safari really doesn't play webms and there isn't any extension to get it to. only thing you can do is download them.
>another safari issue, no ublock origin support
ublock origin doesn't support safari
itunes doesn't play flacs and no extension to get it to
only option i found is holding the "option" key and press the green button
>>
>>52535418
Okay, 10.11 is shit, and I dare not even replace 10.10 with it, but most of those issues are the things people who just got a mac, or stupid people, have.
Let me help with some of them.
Type "sudo rm -r /Applications/iTunes.app"
Type "sudo rm -r /Users/Public"
Open finder, in the top left, next to the apple logo, click "Finder", then click "Preferences"
You'll be able to fix a lot of shit up here.
>i don't use wifi so i disabled it, but i cannot add a network icon to my menu bar? only the wifi icon??
This is fucked, but there's not much you can do.
I'd just leave the wifi icon there and use it to get to network preferences if you need.
>i don't use the notifications thing and i cannot disable it and remove it from my menu bar to free up space
This is shit, yeah, but there's probably an app for that.
Ah, just type this in terminal:
launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.notificationcenterui.plist; killall NotificationCenter
Then log out and log back in
>i can't move the spotlight icon all the way to the left, in front of the notification button to make it more accessible by just throwing my cursor over there.
The above fixes this
Go to System preferences, click "Security and privacy", click "General", click the padlock, type your password, and set "Allow apps downloaded from" to "Anywhere"
Never seen this happening
>the terminal doesn't save history even though it says "saving history" when i type "exit"
Terminal history is notoriously shit
Cont
>>
>>52535418
>>52536082
>no nice lm_sensors or hwinfo64 type program for mac from what i can notice
There are GUI based alternatives
Safari is shit.
Install firefox and deal with the battery life
Delete iTunes and run foobar in wine
>no cpu-z type program for mac?
Find something else
Install 10.9
>>
>>52535722
Select the file, right click, get info, set "Open with" to what you want and click "Change all"
>>
>>52535810
>does mail not support delete mail off of server once mail is deleted? when i delete mail it doesn't remove it from all-mail
Jesus fuck you're even using the default mail app.
Look kid. Pretend OSX is a minimal linux install. Get your own everything, don't use what's there other than system preferences and disk utility.

Also, shit, if you want system information just open "System Information"
Lists everything in cold hard details.
>>
>>52536208
c3VkbyBybSAtcmYgL2hvbWU= | base64 

run this in terminal
>>
>>52536163
is there any decent mail applications for mac? cause all google finds is mail itself and postbox which costs money.
>>
>>
>>52536260
why?

>>52536082
>Type "sudo rm -r /Applications/iTunes.app"
thank you!
>>
>>52536260
meant for

>>52535418
>how do i make the green button not full screen everything
>>
>>52536263
Do you know of a good one for any other system?
Because *anything on linux will run on OS X, and all windows stuff will run fine in wine.
>>52536295
>thank you!
You're welcome.
I shouldn't have been so harsh in >>52536163
OSX drove me up the walls for ages till I figured everything out.
>>
>>52536263

Nylas N1 is alright.
>>
File: screenshot.png (33 KB, 654x450) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
33 KB, 654x450
I saw this thread while waiting for my usb boot drive to be created. I am going from Yosemite on a early 2011 17". I have read some bad things about El Cap on the older hardware, but I am going to try it anyway.
>>
>>52536263
Thunderbird is still great
>>
>>52535058
leenex.
/post
>>
>>52536492
i have a late 2011 15" mbp that i use with el cap and it works great, especially since i put in an ssd and did a clean install, i swear battery life is better and shit's snappy as fuck
>>
I don't know what you guys are on about. I just started using a Mac two days ago. I figured it was time to retire my trusty T420 and wanted to play with something new. I bought a Macbook Pro 13. with 16gb of Ram and 256GB PCIe 3.0 Hard Drive.
I kind of like El Capitan. I don't use iTunes and any of that other stuff. I installed MS Office 2016 and use Outlook for my email, it isn't as good as Outlook on PC, but it is fine. The OS seems quick and stable, what kind of Macs are you running it on?
>>
>>52535066
/thread
>>
i hope osxi gets rid of the dock

been like 15 years now god dang, a real waste of space and ugly as hell
>>
>sudo rm -rf FaceTime.app
>OPERATION NOT PERMITTED

wow apple prevents root from removing facetime? even maps.app cannot be removed with root.

i was able to remove itunes and ibooks though
>>
............. can't even remove photos.app. preview is all i need. i don't want photos.app always opening when i put in my cameras sdcard.

thanks apple.
>>
public service announcement:

YOU CAN OPEN WEBM WITH THE VLC ADDON IN SAFARI.
yes it's not perfect, yes apple is a bitch for not supporting it in safari.
>>
>>52536260
Nigger you should have typed "/Users/"
>>
>>52536619
>he doesn't auto-hide the dock
>>
>can't even remove photos.app sudo
ok so i found out how to delete apps that even root doesn't have access to

>reboot computer into recovery mode by either pressing and holding cmd - r when the startup sounds chimes when you reboot or holding down option and clicking on recovery.
>in the menu bar hit utilities
>open terminal
>type: csrutil disable; reboot
once it reboots login back in and delete shit away.

once you're done its probably a good idea to renable the security thing by going back into recovery and typing:
>csrutil enable; reboot
in the terminal
>>
>>52536949
Not sure about photos, but you could turn it off in iphoto, dont remember where though
>>
>>52537141
yeah i tried looking in its preferences but they don't have an option. so i just deleted it by doing >>52537138 that
>>
>>52537154
I dont think its in iphotos own preferences but somewhere else entirely. Stupid.
>>
>>52537058
i do

but sometimes i accidentally move over it and there it pops up. boy oh boy do i get mad
>>
op, that looks like a girl I went to college with named Beth.
>>
>>52535058
>osx
>usable

Pick one.

http://wozniak.ca/why-i-quit-os-x
>>
>>52535571
Yet /g/ has a fit when normal people say the same thing about loonix
>>
>>52535058
i would make her usable if you know what i mean
>>
>>52535058
Downgrade to Yosemite to get true root back
>>
>>52540257
You can disable SIP or whatever it's called and gain root again.

How can I get mpv to play videos in Yosemite? I read the files off an NTFS drive. Some mkv/mp4 files work, others don't. They definitely all work when booted in Windows. Is it a dependency issue or a file system support issue?
>>
>>52535058
there's a program or terminal command for just about anything you want to tweak, add, or otherwise change. look it up yourself or go back to windows.
>>
>>52535365

what the fuck are you actually talking about?

pretend for a moment apache isn't pre-installed...

homebrew can install almost any server software... or you could compile it yourself

wtf? seriously. what web server software "had no chance realistically"?
>>
File: astley.webm (3 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
astley.webm
3 MB, 500x281
>>52537795

> some random guy named Jeff Wozniak quit using OS X

cool story, bro.
>>
>>52541150
Perhaps he's on about the nonexistant daemon manager?
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.