[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/cct/ Career and Cert Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 4
File: Network+.png (69 KB, 2111x1166) Image search: [Google]
Network+.png
69 KB, 2111x1166
Let's talk about certifications and careers!

If you're actively studying or interested in learning more about certs, ask away. Learn how to use certs to get jobs

If you have a tech career:

>Job Title
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
>How did you find/get job
>Pay
>Location
>>
Opinions on CS50?
Thinking about taking it this year but it seems pretty hard. I don't have enough time as I go to college already, also it must be very expensive to get the actual certificate.
>>
File: Snapchat-5226397474703575920.jpg (658 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-5226397474703575920.jpg
658 KB, 1440x2392
We /cert/ here!

>Network security analyst for department of Defense
>5 years experience (only 21)
>no degrees, A+ N+ and Security+
>found job on usajobs
>62000 a year
>South Carolina
>>
Just got my CCENT (awaiting approval)

What other experience / certs should i look into for an entry level job in a data centre?
>>
>>52517695

Storage+ might not be too bad
>>
>>52517566
>>Job Title
IT Field Tech at largest school district
>>Years of Experience
2.5 professional work years of xp, 8 years of /g/ browsing and gaymin
>>Degrees/Certs
Dropped out of College, HS Diploma
No Certs, I should have an A+/N+ and MCP/ACP
>>How did you find/get job
Current job was offered for inside people, only requirement was 2 yrs xp and an MCP or ACP. Before that, was an IT support, and I found that through Google search. I bullshited my way through HR and forged my Certs, because whats the worse that can happened.
>>Pay
62,000~66,000 depending on OT availability
>>Location
California
>>
I'm probably going to be taking my A+ exams next week. Suggestions?
>>
Free exam answers for everyone http://www.examcollection.com/ Don't pay for anything there, just login with http://bugmenot.com/ look up which exam you're going to do and just memorise a VCE file.

Certs are a joke. Everyone cheats, and those that don't only fool themselves thinking they're better.
>>
>>52517929
How the fuck do you cheat on the actual exam?
>>
File: 1453000091979.jpg (265 KB, 914x1280) Image search: [Google]
1453000091979.jpg
265 KB, 914x1280
I got my A+ a few weeks ago and been applying like crazy. No call backs or anything. Let that be an indicator if its ''worth it''
>>
>>52517929
>>52517945
They use actual exam answers, so if you memorize enough you'll pass is the idea there.

To be honest, I'd only recommend doing this for entry-level certs. Even then, use them as a way to verify what you know..

I wouldn't recommend this for things like CCNA and above.
>>
>>52517974
CCNA and CCNP are a joke too with the answers leaking all over the place. Only CCIE gets interesting.
>>
>>52517929
>>52518016

I've had paper CCNA and CCNP people interview and work with me, they're spotted quick as shit when any problem comes up that requires a modicum of background knowledge to troubleshoot.

CompTIA paper certs are harder to spot though since you shouldn't really need to cheat to pass them.

If you're going for a "real" cert, use the VCE's at the very end of your studies to verify your ability to pass the test.

Don't fall for the "certs are useless just cheat" meme, proper training for most certs is available and extremely useful if you want to succeed in your career.

>>52517974
>>52517945
>>52518016
>>
>>52518060
+1

You'd honestly have to be a complete moron to not have A+ and Net+ knowledge before applying for an IT job.

CCNA may be a joke because people are cheating, but they're spotted real fast in the workplace especially if their job is doing any configuring.
>>
>>52518060
**excluding the CCDA, that's a legit SELL CISCO STUFF meme cert, if you know your way around a network, I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they cheated on that just to get past HR

Haven't taken the CCDP ARCH exam after the DA was such a let down.
>>
Seems live in the private sector certs don't mean shit. However, in the government sector it's the opposite. Am I wrong here?
>>
>Job Title
Internet Help Desk
>Years of Experience
I've been working at it for 2 years
>Degrees/Certs
CCNA/A+/Network+
1 month
>Pay
~32k a year
>Location
New york
>>
>>52518105
In the beginning of your career, it matters to private sectors as well but not as much as experience.

In government, it is a necessity for some positions.
>>
>>52518091
Yeah, it's pretty easy to spot the paper CCNAs. If you pass it legit and retain the knowledge it's very useful (not only in Cisco environments).

>>52518105
Depends on HR and the hiring manager(s), and if the vendor cert gets them discounts, etc. We use them as a "minimum knowledge" type of filter for our staff augmentation.
>>
>>52518109
32K in NY with a CCNA and a basic understanding of computers, plus troubleshooting experience? Look for a new job dude, you're missing a bunch of Ks in your salary.
>>
>>52518060
That's only because no one in their right mind outside of IT would do an exam out of the blue merely because they could. The thing is, they perfectly could with all the exam answers out there. I don't trust any applicant with a pile of certs without at least a college degree, or a plausible amount of relevant work experience.
>>
>>52518109
What are you doing in Help Desk?
>>
>>52518202
>>52518109
Yeah, I'd imagine you should be getting close to double your salary bud.
>>
So for the A+ exam, when it says you have to pass two tests in the same series, does that mean that you have to buy the test twice? Do you spend 199.99 two times for different tests in the same series?
>>
>>52518247
Yes. You have to do two exams.
>>
>>52518222
I do exams because they indirectly lead to more $$$.

More than doubled my salary in the last 4 years just by studying during downtime at work (then of course for a few weeks before exam at home), work pays for it. Why not let them keep my resume fresh and update my skillset while paying me more than the other people with the same title?

I also have to set myself apart with shit on paper since I have the social skills of a self aware potato, and can't do the office politics lingo speak.
>>
File: Wut.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Wut.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
>>52518109
dude, wtf. Are you working for a Private Company?
Time to move on man, look at >>52517756
>>
>>52518290
What do you do m8? Looking for some positions that could have some downtime, so I could study as well.
>>
I've been curious as to what entry level salary I could demand. Just a ballpark estimate when I begin negotiating would be great. I'll have a Associate's of Applied Science in CyberSecurity with a reputable technical college with Net+, Security+, LINUX+, LPIC-1, Suse Certified Linux Admin, CCENT, CCNA R\S, and CCNA Security. I will have about 8 months experience as an intern with the Network Admin of a school district. I don't know where to even begin after graduating. Luckily there is a giant tech company in a city near me begging for every IT position imaginable (government contractor). Any thoughts?
>>
If I get my major certs before my senior year of college, are companies gonna think I took them too 'early' and need to take them again to refresh? Not sure what the best timing is.
>>
>>52518349
Location?

Just a ballpark 50-65k is what I'd think. Maybe more depending on location.

What govt contractor if you dont mind me asking?
>>
>>52518105

IAT II is REQUIRED to work on a closed Govt system. Basically just Security+
>>
>>52518430
Shreveport, LA

Company is called CSC.
>>
>>52518290
Keep doing what you're doing, mate. It's the best thing you can in this position, I know from experience. Hopefully you'll move to more interesting positions later, because on paper, you're just another techie that could be replaced by someone else with some more training.

Please don't take that the wrong way, but this is what was seriously bugging me as soon as figured this out. I quit my job, finished my college degree, and I'm now doing a masters in CE because I'm so fucking through with competing for certs. The company never respected me anyway for being just another techie with a pile of certs. Besides, I'll get much more better jobs now than I ever could back then.
>>
>>52518317
I'm a network dude

Any position can have downtime though. It's not like I get 6hrs a day to study, some weeks are zero minutes of free time, others are an hour or so a day.

Typical "good" day:
05:30
-arrive to work, boot up check email for few minutes to see if any "EVERYTHIGN BROKE AND I COULDNT FIND YOUR NUMBER.." emails came in
5:45
-check space weather for 5 min, because yes
-hit CBT Nuggets
-hit chapter or two in book for relevant technology
7:45-11:30
regular work stuff
-lunch
13:00
-regular work stuff
14:00
-if nothing critical going on check out some whitepapers, lab shit up in GNS3, etc.
15:00-16:00
regular work stuff
16:00-> ??
-CBT Nuggets/lab shit up

I'll stay late (like 20:00 if needed) if I have an exam coming up since we have a lab that I can use physical gear in (as opposed to GNS3).

Same at the last two places I worked, all you need to do is ask for a sub to some training websites and access to lab gear and most places will gladly do it, it's a few K a year for them and they're getting a more valuable employee in return.
>>
>>52518349
>>52518451
Nice, you'll get to check out few different things and see what you like (*nix, Security, Networking), and more importantly what you don't like.
>>
lurkin'
>>
>>52518451
You may be able to get more than that since its a govt contractor. I'd suggest taking the job if they're wanting you. Get that experience and see if some of the positions they want you for can get you a security clearance. You'll be set if you get one.

TL;DR, Get that security clearance and experience.
>>
Daily reminder that you can lie about certs and nobody checks
>>
>>52518476
NOC?

I've been working in logistics at a warehouse, and I literally have ZERO free time and the 12 hour shifts are wearing me down.

I'm hoping to find an entry-level IT job that has a bit of downtime, and I've heard that NOCs are good for that.. Any other types of positions that 'generally' have more downtime than others in IT?
>>
>>52518456
I understand how HR looks at us in IS/IT. I'm fortunate enough in my position that there are few other inside the company that can replace me, and you know how IS/IT is - you're essentially useless in an environment until you learn the way "we" do it, which in our case is overly complicated.

I'm doing my IE now, which will make me stand apart enough for what I want to do. After that, who knows.
>>
>>52518546
fucking this.
>>
>>52518553
Work in an office building/data center. Operations, small/medium projects, monitoring, proactive maintenance, OS validation, etc. Basically everything except for the "big" deployments since we have a team specifically for that.

I don't have specific hours fortunately, the work that needs done, just needs to get done from either the office or home.

I would eventually like to move to a Service Provider but I hear the same thing about SP NOCs all the time, so will probably just stay in Enterprise environments.
>>
>>52518613
>>52518546
I verify all applicants, seriously.
>>
>Job Title
Infrastructure Engineer
>Years of Experience
3.5 post college
>Degrees/Certs
BSc Computer Science, no certs
Kinda lucked into it
>Pay
~$76k/year (underpaid)
>Location
DC/MD/VA

>>52518105
government loves certs because people who have no idea make the rules
I've worked directly with people who have "certs" and they have no idea what is going on
You would shit yourself if you knew the level of stupidity of most government workers and contractors
>>
>>52518787
>You would shit yourself if you knew the level of stupidity of most government workers and contractors

Gives me hope that I could get a job with them then, kek.
>>
>>52518787
I've seen them post stuff that required Sec+ for "Cybersecurity" positions....
>>
what cert can I get in order to start working towards a systems administrator? I don't have a college degree, although I may go back. What cert can I get to get my foot in the door?
>>
>>52518825
Sec+ is very generally mandated, it's bullshit
It is literally a waste of my fucking time but there are people I work with that would not understand %25 of what was on the test
>>
>>52518825
Yep, It's mandatory for some positions. As I've said before in other threads, I've seen CS grads with 5+ years of experience due to not having it.

No joke.
>>
>>52518654
different anon but when you say service providers do you mean ISPs?
>>
>>52517964

Persistence is key. Also, perform follow-up calls.
>>
Aside from the military, does anyone know the easiest ways to get a security clearance?

What companies sponsor them a lot for IT?
>>
>>52517566
How do you find a good job when you can't network with people because they don't respond to coffee dates
>>
>>52520125
any government contractor will have positions requiring a security clearance, you can apply even if you don't have one (they'll get it for you)
>>
What are the best certs if I don't want to do IT and just want to do programming and git gud at linux?
>>
How do you figure out which IT path is right for you? At work, I do basic troubleshooting and maintain our inventory database which is split between two sites.
>>
>>52518666
How?
>>
>>52521443
not him but on linkdin for example, u can verify your certs
>>
>>52521456
>linkedin
might as well crosscheck with Facebook

you can verify a users Cert by going to specific websites and entering there Registration ID/ Number... etc.

But most places need the ID number and a Users "passcode" to see verification. A good HR rep will ask for both to verify, but 80% of HR doesnt care and only want to see physical proof so they can scan it for their records.
>>
>Job Title
Network Admin
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
Sec+, A+, Net+, CCNA R&S
Website
>Pay
130k (101k tax-free)
>Location
Afghanistan
>>
what books should i read if i wanted to get a ccna cert? any advice on where to start?
>>
>>Job Title
Regional tech analyst
>>Years of Experience
>>Degrees/Certs
Business administration w/ a concentration in comp info systems
Contract to full time
>>Pay
63k/yr salary
>>Location
California

Tbh i dont do much senpai.
>>
>>52521658
Lammle and Odom make really good CCNA books

As far as other resources Chris Bryants video series on Udemy would be a great start for you.

Also download PacketTracer
>>
>>52521686
what about the cbt nuggets? also do braindumps help?
>>
>>52521720
Never used CBT nuggets, so I don't know.

Braindumps will fuck you if you don't use them in the right way. Only use them to verify knowledge. I wouldn't use them til a day or two before your test. If you rely on them, you'll essentially cheat and when you get on the job you'll be quickly identified as being incompetent.
>>
>Job Title
Operations Technician / Netapp administrator
>Years of Experience
6 years.
>Degrees/Certs
Never went to college, CCNA, NCSA, NCDA, NCSIE, NCIE SAN, NCDA cDOT, MTA, MCSA, MCSE, Currently working on some HP certs for 3PAR.
Neighbour.
>Pay
71k/year - might even be more with the OT during large projects. Could easily get a better salary but I like the place where I'm working at.
>Location
Sweden
>>
21 almost 22 year old neet here

is it too late?
should I do a degree instead

I already have alot of experience with GANoo LOonux
>>
>>52521820
Too late for what?

If you want a degree, get one but honestly you're better off getting an entry-level job and then getting a degree while working.
>>
>>52521873
a degree in MATH/CS/ENGINEERING

not sure which path I should take

1. Go back to university do a 3-4(Hons) year degree and then find a job
vs
self study for several months, acquire some cisco certificates and search for a job, do this whilst study CS as a hobby and backup
>>
>>52521955
It's never too late for one if you want to pursue one. Personally, I'd probably self study, get some certs, get a job and then pursue a degree online..

However, if you want a degree in CS/Engineering you will probably have to dedicate in-class time for that.
>>
>Junior Support Technician (part time)
>4 months
>2-Year IT Diploma from local CC/Tech School
>Indeed.com
>$10/hr
>Atlanta area

2bh not sure how I advance from here. My end goal is an IS position. I guess I can ask for a raise/full time hours or look for a full time helpdesk position and work from there. Oh yeah, I also do retail sales with PC parts, but I want out.

I've paid for the two A+ exams through my school (discounted), but have yet to take it. It feels like I have that knowledge already and it's a meme cert but HR wants to verify it with a piece of paper. Besides the lack of motivation, it should be pretty easy, so I and 4chan tell myself.

How meme is Net+ and then Sec+? I have the study materials for the so called "CompTIA holy trinity". Sybex, Mike Myers, Prof Messer, etc.
>>
>>52522064
They're not memes early in your career. I'd get those certs and start applying for full-time helpdesk perhaps. That'll at least get you a bump in pay $15-$20 or maybe work at a NOC?

You could also look for govt jobs with A+, Net+, Sec+ they pay decent, and they're easy as fuck.
>>
>>52522085
I thought government jobs were posted just because they needed to be posted and that they already had a specific candidate in mind?

Also is the meme true about gov workers being retarded?
>>
>>52517566
Job: Tier II support at an ISP

Years of Experience: Work wise? er, 2.

Degrees/Certs: None right now (well major.) About to take some networking certs (CCNA and others).

How did you find the job: Well known local ISP that's awesome, needed a way out.

Pay? Around 40k

>>
>>52517566
>Job Title
Service Cashier
>Years of Experience
10, kill me
>Degrees/Certs
Bach of IT, A+, ITIL Foundation, and soon my Net+
kill me
>Pay
$25 an hour, in Australia, as a casual
>Location
Hell
>>
>>52522095
Not always true. Sometimes, yes they post in order to have a pool of candidates.

Some are. Some are really brilliant. It's just like the private sector. The difference is it's much more difficult for govt workers to get fired.. so if there are bad ones there.. they tend to stick around forever.
>>
>>52522102
$25 as a cashier...

sounds breddy good.
>>
>>52522127
That's AUD though, but still that translates to $17 USD
>>
What is a A+/N+ cert? Currently getting a diploma in IT~
>>
>>52522146
Same fag here. Should I get a CCNA cert while doing my diploma? And after CCNA where do I go?
>>
>>52521820
nigga i'm 24 and working at mc d. Nothing is every too late.
>>
>>52522186
Can you give me the hookup?
>>
>>52522186
i mean dominos damnit lol
>>
>>52517633

Fucking really? I've been taking steps on going on a path similar to this and I'm waiting on my USAjobs application status.

What job(s) did you have before this one that convinced them to accept you? (I'm especially curious since you don't have a degree, when most jobs I'm looking at in USAjobs in DC or VA all require a degree.) That being said are you working on getting a degree?(or have listed that on your resume?)

Also, how likely would a university accept someone of my merits(listed below) for working as a Network Engineer? (I'm moving to a more remote place and there are no signs of a data center anywhere. And it seems my only options are to apply to the Universities around that area.)

For right now I have no corporate experience and only small office server experience (and I'm pretty well adept with configuring most things linux related.) And I'm working on my CompTia (have my A+, about to test for Net+, and studying for Sec+) and Cisco certs.
(and are considering storage+?)

Otherwise I have a small netbook NAS (since I can't afford any 'server grade' computer parts.) and have configured a full install of Arch via the same netbook and a hyper-visor.
>>
What kinds of different certifications are there?
>>
>Job title
"Systems Analyst"
>experience
2 years
>deg/cert
A few MS ones, working on getting my Linux+, Network+ and Sec+
>How
Gov't apprentice program
>Pay
>£16k/$22k
>Location
UK

Not too bad for a 19 y/o
>>
>Job title
IT Support Officer
>experience
7 Years
>deg/cert
Unrelated technical degree, CCNA
>How
Applied online
>Pay
65000 Dollarydoos
>Location
Aus
>>
>>52522897
Oh and I am studying Amazon Sysops, RHCE and LFCE
>>
I'm going in to test for an A+ tomorrow. I want to get into IT, but there's nothing really around me right now.

I've been averaging about 750 on my practice quizzes, so provided I don't completely fuck up, the odds are in my favor.
>>
when will you understand that certs don't mean shit and are meant for Pajeets because they prefer to memorize stuff?
>>
What kind of study materials would you guys use for the basic (CompTIA) certs?

Just the study guide? Some Youtube videos? Trainsignal? CBTNuggets?
>>
>>52523003
For someone with no formal experience or degree, a degree could be my into IT.
>>
>>52523115
Do you mean cert?
>>
>>52523084
>What kind of study materials would you guys use for the basic (CompTIA) certs?
Professor Messer on Youtube (and professormesser.com)

There are also
https://kat.cr/avanset-vce-exam-simulator-2-1-demo-crack-top-500-vce-exams-t11529267.html

With
https://kat.cr/avanset-visual-certexam-v3-4-2-incl-crack-tordigger-t8632048.html

>>52523119
Yes, yes I did.
>>
I love how I didn't even need to go to college to land my job and I get 90k just based on certificates, and portfolio (web design).

I feel like shit for my parents since they paid for something useless, so I pay them half my salary until I pay all I spent in college, so I can tell them I really didn't need it after, and to let my brother know as well on what to do.

Have you ever felt like this guys?
>>
>Fiber Sales for AT&T
>2 years (I'm 24)
>MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+, No degree
>Started in retail + doing networking for a few local small businesses, applied for job and got it
>110k
>Chicago, IL

Experience + a cert or two > a Degree. Doing corporate sales for a ISP is a great way to get your foot in the door for very high paying tech jobs with no degrees required.
>>
>>52523211
>>110k
What the fuck, a job that easy pays that much?
What the fuck??
>>
Any developers itt?
>>
>>52523241
What kind?
>>
>>52523227
Sales isn't for everyone and it's not something that can just be taught to everyone though.
>>
>>52523252
What the hell, it cut my post.
*What kind? I'm a web developer.
>>
>>52523256
I'm happy for you and all, but that's not really an IT job, it's more like selling cars tbfh man.
>>
>>52523273
Definitely not true. Someone in this position has to have a complete understanding of network engineering, how VDSL2 networks work, how wire centers connected to local VRADs, how engineers will splice fiber to local NIDs for local FTTH service. Our customers are cities, businesses, huge 1000-unit apartment complexes. These are multi-million dollar projects and you can't just take a salesman and put them in this type of job.
>>
>>52523316
It's just memorizing some facts and litte things and sell them the cables, isn't it?

Sorry for belittling you, but that ain't my intention, it's just how I see things.
>>
>Job Title
IT Systems Engineer
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
Mad skillz
>Pay
$120k
>Location
Straya
>>
>>52523326
No. We aren't selling the cables, we're selling the ability to connect to the service, which happens to require cables. It's basically like being a network engineer who holds the company checkbook.
>>
>>52517566
>>Job Title
graduate support engineer
>>Years of Experience
>>Degrees/Certs
computing/IT
gradconnection
>>Pay
50k/yr
>>Location
straya
>>
>>52517580
I liked CS50 when I took it (7 years ago holy shit time flies).

>Job Title
Staff Software Engineer
>Years of Experience
>Degrees/Certs
Bachelor's CS
Recruited out of college
>Pay
Enough
>Location
Mountain View, CA
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.