[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Router Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: 61EeNkDyrYL._SL1350_.jpg (85 KB, 1350x909) Image search: [Google]
61EeNkDyrYL._SL1350_.jpg
85 KB, 1350x909
What's the best router I can get for around $100 or less? Preferably one that supports DD-WRT, OpenWRT, and/or Tomato.
>>
File: Linksys WRT54GL.png (76 KB, 372x372) Image search: [Google]
Linksys WRT54GL.png
76 KB, 372x372
Literally god tier
>>
>>52497393
asus dark knight
>>
>>52497646
I got an RT-68 for $110 or so a while back. Best router ever with Asuswrt-Merlin.
>>
>>52497646
How does that compare to the TP_Link Archer C9?
>>
File: 34535328_OVR.png (193 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
34535328_OVR.png
193 KB, 770x433
Just get an E1200 for DD-WRT.
>>
>>52497627

Until you start throwing serious routing tables and multiple vlans on it.

God tier for learning, useless when speed is a concern
>>
TP-Link TL-WDR4300 with OpenWrt https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr4300 Always flash a TP-Link http://sekurak.pl/tp-link-httptftp-backdoor/
>>
any TP link that fits you use case
openwrt on that bitch and you are golden
>>
>>52497984
>>52497839
my nigga
>>
Is the TP-Link Archer C7 fully compatible with OpenWRT?
>>
>>52499171
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr7500

I believe so, however give up on dd-wrt.
>>
>>52497393
Do you have a spare laptop/device?

Install pfsense on it.(Free)
Then buy a switch (Tp link $20).
Then buy yourself a wireless access point (Ubiquiti $64).
>>
>>52499359
>Ubiquiti
Would that be a good setup for internet speed?
>>
Where's that spider router?
I loved it's tenacity like the black man
>>
Complete newbie to routers and wireless connections, still using the crappy modem my ISP gave me. Tired of my internet connection being garbage. Where do I start to learn this stuff and stop being retarded?
>>
>>52499359
how does this master plan work exactly if the laptop only has 1 ethernet port and the switch isn't already L3?

> inb4 wireless only is OK
>>
>>52499531
+Usb to Ethernet adapter
>>
>>52499381
Sorry, if I want speed I go for ethernet. That device is good for 2.4 ghz, but if you want SPEED and most of your devices support 5 ghz then you have other options to consider.
>>
>>52499269
Been running dd-wrt on mine to act as an Internet bridge for a while now. Apart from the 5ghz not connecting seems reasonably ok, though I don't use every feature.
>>
>>52497393
I picked up a belkin share max for 22$. Gigabit lan, two usb, shibby tomato, 64mb ram. Best bang for the buck ive found.
>>
File: mb_side.jpg (50 KB, 688x216) Image search: [Google]
mb_side.jpg
50 KB, 688x216
>>52497393
I just ordered a GlobalScale MiraBox devkit ($125) to install OpenWRT on.
I'll let /g/ know how it goes.

> https://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-58-mirabox-development-kit.aspx
> http://www.marvell.com/embedded-processors/armada-300/assets/Marvell_ARMADA_370_SoC.pdf

>1.2Ghz Marvell Armada 370 (single core ARM v7)
>1GB DDR3
>1GB NAND

>2x 1GbE - RJ45
>802.11b/g/n w/ Marvell 88W8787
>Bluetooth 3.0
>2x USB 3.0
>microsd card slot
>Mini PCIe expansion slot for additional 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 WiFi Radios, or 3G modules

The Armada 370 has an AES/SHA1/2 engine, so decent VPN hosting is feasible. Also has DMA/XOR engine for RAID5 type stuff for people who want to build a NAS out of it as well.
>>
just get a all-in-one atom board off ebay and put pfsense on it
>>
What's the best router for local wifi file transfer? I like to stream from my pc to my tablet 3gb encodes I download and need the fastest possible sustained rates on both 2.4ghz (currently the tablet doesn't support 5ghz) and 5ghz (for when I upgrade).

My objective is to not rely on shitty local streaming options like Plex/Emby but just play the files on the network by piping them into MX Player through ES File Explorer
>>
>>52501856
how many atom SBCs have dual ethernet, especially GbE?
seems like virtually none.
>>
I need something with good wifi and can handle large transfers in the local network.
>>
File: SWAMRU-54108_WallMount.jpg (55 KB, 412x262) Image search: [Google]
SWAMRU-54108_WallMount.jpg
55 KB, 412x262
How do you guys wallmount your routers? If I do horizontal I won't be able to see the led indicators. Is it even worth it? I kinda need the space.
>>
>>52499171
I've been running OpenWRT on mine for a few months now with literally zero issues. I just tested thoroughput to my NAS, and it was at around 400 Mbps on 5Ghz.
>>
>>52497839
>>52499145
>https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/11779

I have the 3600, which is roughly the same and the performance while playing a game or during skype is abyssmal.
>>
>>52505790
Then there's obviously a difference between the two, mate.
>>
>>52505850
Meant to say roughly the same issue, silly me.

Yeah, not having hardware nat is a dealbreaker for me.
>>
>>52497393
Sophos UTM infront of my edgerouter pro handling my gigabit connection speed
>>
>>52499359
Pfsense always worked shittily for me, but perhaps it was because it was virtualized
>>
>>52506329
I'm different anon, but I've run it for like three years in three different locations with multiple different hardware (always on bare metal) and it's been fast, reliable and awesome.

UI isn't as cool as your latest-greatest asus kiddy wifi router, but it works. In three years and even maybe more, I've had one crash on one device and pfsense automatically rebooted. I'm suspecting it had to do "manufacturer's refurbished" hdd though.

I'd just say that I always look for intel gigabit nics on every server, I don't want to play around.
>>
Is a modem necessary for a fibre connection, or you only need a router?
>>
>>52503408
>When mounting the router on a DIN rail or wall, ensure that the router is oriented with the chassis cabling openings pointing down so the router cable hangs down.
>Caution: Mounting the router with the cable panel at the top (facing up) can cause stress on the cables and potentially impact network and other connections. We discourage mounting the router with the cable panel at the top.
Source: Cisco
>>
>>52506547
Ive always heard success stories but never had success myself, but again i never slapped one on a bare metal machine before, but i did plan on it
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.