[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what is your opinion on ARM? They can be pretty energy efficient
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
So what is your opinion on ARM? They can be pretty energy efficient and have crazy strong GPUs which can do 4K at crazy low energy consumption
>>
I expect ARM to expand into ultra low power consumer laptops with OSX & (Maybe) Microsoft within the next few years.

Apple will probably be the first to do this. All they have to do is tweak the A9x or whatever they call it and optimize OSX for ARM.

I'd consider buying something like a macbook with an ARM chip running OSX as a basic portable machine.

The Intel M core or whatever they have in there currently thermal throttles to hell and back anyway.

I can imaging the amazing battery life already.
>>
The obvious contenders for full operating systems on ARM chips are Linux (head start from raspberry pi) and OS X (convergence with iOS). Windows RT was such a disaster that nobody would touch it with a hundred foot pole now.
>>
>>52486188
Don't really like the idea of it superseding x86 and killing the last bit of diversity in consumer and entry/mid-range business hardware but I'm interested in seeing its server and even workstation applications most of all.
>>
>>52486188
If Android would separate its mouse pointer from its touch controls I'd build a decent tegra x1 rig and use that as my TV box.

Just better mouse support... Just about all Android would need...that and fucking multi window support.

Mark my words, when Google gets its shit together we will see a fuck ton of arm PC options.
>>
no one wants it. it's shit. no normal person will ever want an 'arm' cpu. ever.

why can't you understand this
>>
>>52487584
>no normal person will ever want an 'arm' cpu. ever.
You dont use a smartphone do you?
>>
>>52487584
>no one wants it. it's shit. no normal person will ever want an 'arm' cpu. ever.
kek retard
even your precious precious iPhone runs on an ARM CPU, get rekt
>>
>>52486188
> unironically wanting an ARM laptop

Even my Thinkpad T60p outperforms my Samshit ARM Botnetbook, OP.
>>
>>52487752
Nobody ever said anything about ARM laptops
>>
>>52487814
>>52486569
>>
>>52486188
by the time they start becoming serious in the workstation/server market, they will be replaced by intel
Intel has already made competing atoms in the mobile market. in 2 3 years, they will match ARM's decades of development in terms of power/performance
Microsoft will happily adopt to X86 because their arm os is shit. Then intel can work on Android x86 and start bribe oems to use x86 instead of arm
It's not like they haven't done it to AMD
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.