[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
.NFO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Capture.png (10 KB, 458x344) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
10 KB, 458x344
Why do torrent uploaders always create these files when Windows can't natively read them?
>>
Just use infekt or jane.
>>
They're not intended for Windows users.
They're not intended for users at all.
Scene releases are intended just for the Scene, the fact that they "leak" to the rest of us mortals is just the way things are.
>>
if it contains info about the show or movie it's most likely for media center software
>>
>>52478671
>Why do torrent uploaders always create these files when Windows can't natively read them?
So stupid twats like you think it is worth opening a thread on /g/ about it
>>
>>52478671
>when windows can't natively read an ascii text file
I suspect you have no idea how file associations work or that text editors besides notepad exist.
>>
>>52478671
Bug the Microsoft person who thought it was a good idea to hijack the .NFO extension and associate it with the system informaton tool.
>>
>>52479531
Notepad opens them up fine btw.
>>
>>52481490
But they're not shown as intended due to wrong codepage I think.
>>
U can literally rename .nfo to .txt u fukin pleb
>>
File: FREEDOM.png (29 KB, 648x1081) Image search: [Google]
FREEDOM.png
29 KB, 648x1081
>>52481608
i can only find one on my machine and it's a simple one. can't comment on that.

>>52481688
you don't even have to do that.
>>
>>52481694
of course, i was just illustrating how fucking dumb op is
>>
>>52481694
Ctrl-A the contents, put it on pastebin and post the link.
>>
Get a load of this faggot
>>
>>52478671
open it with notepad you retard
>>
>>52481880
Get a load of this tripfaggot
>>
>>52478671
How can you be taken seriously with a simple txt file with some simple Instructions?
Asci art and shout out to your crew means you're all about the scene and not to be fucked with.
>>
>>52481880
>>52482015
Having a random tripcode makes you bad as Anonymous.

Or even worse.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.nfo#Usage_of_NFO_files_in_publishing_of_warez

>Usage of NFO files in publishing of warez

>The files have been explained as essentially being the press releases of the warez scene.[9] They are commonly associated with warez groups who include them to declare credit of said release.[10] NFO files were ubiquitous, and sometimes required, during the era of the BBS. The file was a stamp of authenticity, explicitly explaining what group released the software and described what modifications (or cracks) were applied if any. Once a software was "packaged" with an NFO and then released, it was then officially owned by that group and no other group could ethically rerelease that particular package. A typical warez NFO file was elaborate and highly decorated, and usually included a large ASCII art logo along with software release and extended warez group information. The most important information is which group, which cracker and which member actually tested and packaged. The designers of these NFO files, who worked closely or within the warez groups, frequently incorporated extended ASCII characters from the character set code page 437 in the file.

Note the last sentence. Codepage 437 is needed to display NFOs as intended (i.e. to get black blocks like in OP's picture, etc.), Notepad will display it with codepage 1250 (known as "ANSI") which has mostly different characters in the extended range (0x80-0xff).
>>
>>52482097
I look back at those early days with great joy. Sadly I later realised that without cryptography, by signing and verifying, one can never be sure a release is really what the NFO file claims it to be.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.