[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Neophyte here. I'm taking Java I right now (the first programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot 2016-01-17 00.32.39.png (321 KB, 955x653) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-01-17 00.32.39.png
321 KB, 955x653
Neophyte here.

I'm taking Java I right now (the first programming course I've ever taken) and we've just finished our first week of classes.

So far it's just monkey see monkey do.

When can I expect to be introduced to real programming? Will I have to wait until Java 2?
>>
You're doing real programming right now, learn from it instead of being a little bitch desu
>>
>declaring variables in arbitrary locations instead of at the top

You should stop following whatever shitty tutorial you're using
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-01-17 00.47.35.png (196 KB, 821x552) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-01-17 00.47.35.png
196 KB, 821x552
>>52466892
>additionvariation3
>>
>>52466892
>declaring variables at the top instead of where you plan to use them
disgusting habit familia
>>
>>52466875
I'm learning the how but not the why.
>>
>>52466944
>not using multiline comment syntax

You have much to learn kiddo
>>
>declaring a variable with no value assigned
>declaring it a line later

why do you do this, do you like unnecessary lines of code?
>>
>>52467074
/* Look at the file name. I'm sure it says variation3. Besides, I haven't written a program that needs in-depth comments yet. */
>>
>>52466990
Hey, I am a sophomore CS student currently in my second semester of Data Structures & Algorithms. Just be patient and make sure to ask questions and practice. You start getting the why when you understand the how well enough to ask the right questions.
>>
Learn the difference between a stack and a heap and you'll be all set. Move onto C
>>
Wew lad. This is but the tip of the iceberg, son. Java libraries are absolutely monstrous and you have to master data structures e.g. collections and later trees, linkedlists, and perhaps DAGs. I don't understand why people start off their class with Java, I consider C better for learning and skills more portable to other languages than the other way around, regardless of how useless people think writing in C in 2016 is. It's more challenging and promotes better practices in general for other languages including OOP.
>>
>>52466847
when you learn about methods, objects, classes, file i/o, exception handling
>>
>>52467531
/thread
>>
>>52466847
What's a Neophyte?
What does Java I cover? Show us please.
Looking back on my "Java I", it was the basics in order to do OOP.
>>
>>52466847
>java
>real programming

never
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.