[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how did Firefox go from the best browser to the worst?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 12
File: firefox-logo.bee1d85af18f.png (67 KB, 512x532) Image search: [Google]
firefox-logo.bee1d85af18f.png
67 KB, 512x532
how did Firefox go from the best browser to the worst?
>>
>>52448671
exceptionally bad management
>>
>>52448671
You installed all the wrong extensions and blame the browser on not having protection against extensions. Go back to chrome, you can't fuck it up, it won't let you.
>>
Too much bloat, slow as fuck, laggy and unresponsive 99% of the time and it's botnet. Chrome is botnet but at least it works. ie at least works even tho it sucks balls too.
>>
But it didn't.
Not yet anyway.
As of right now it's still the best.
But you go ahead and keep thinking whatever it is that makes you feel better about your shitty browser.
Your other choices are botnet or broken memefox forks
>>
>>52448720

Not OP. Firefox has always been fucked since first install, I didn't even get a chance to fuck it up with extensions, even if I wanted to. They need to finally change the name to Firesloth.
>>
>>52448671

Cucks
Unicorns
Niggers
Transgenders
Social Justice Warriors
>>
>>52448671
It's not that bad.

Shitty management will kill it though. Not even sjw but chasing chrome so hard that they start to shed their own products identity.

Shit like Firefox Hello and the bookmark thing, seem extraneous too.
>>
I switched to Firefox when I got tired of dealing with Chromium's occasional bullshit, and have been sitting on 38.0.1 for about half a year now.

Very happy with it aside from a few bugs. I see no reason to upgrade and my extensions work perfectly. I doubt I'll switch browsers for a very long time.
>>
>>52448699
Hole-in-one.
>>
>>52448771
>my extensions work perfectly

Not for long though senpai

Mozilla will ditch XUL and others in favor of WebExtensions or whatever they're called (same system that Chrome uses)

DownThemAll = Gone
NoScript = Gone
Self-Destructing Cookies = Gone
>>
>>52448766
>It's not that bad.
but why is when a certain site won't function properly on firefox and go to use chrome and it works perfectly?
>>
>>52448797
I know, hence the point of currently using a browser 4 versions behind.

Chrome ruined browsers forever. I miss Opera.
>>
>>52448805
because the maker of the site went fully retarded and made it for webkit.... firefox started adding these futures in the latest nightlies.

Yes FireFox's engine is old but guess they're gonna to improve it.
>>
File: toaster.png (73 KB, 1083x567) Image search: [Google]
toaster.png
73 KB, 1083x567
>>52448813
I'm with you.
Though I'm on 43.

Have all the shit I don't need disabled, all 86 of my extensions work fine and I have everything set to not update unless I give the okay.

I'm pretty comfy right were I'm at.

>All these extensions and my firefox still runs buttery smooth even on my fucking toaster
I wish I knew how people went about making it run like shit. It must be a fucking super power or something.
>>
>>52448833
>because the maker of the site went fully retarded and made it for webkit
then Steam did this? cause that site wont function that well, can't scroll the front page pics and constant loading
>>
>>52448889
Been a while since I've bothered with Steam on the browser so I just checked.
It all works fine for me.
I'm assuming you meant the featured items and such?
Can you give a specific example of what isn't working for you?
>>
>>52448915
>Can you give a specific example of what isn't working for you?
On the front page where you scroll the pics, and it constantly loads when click on the forums
>>
File: 1451407237986.png (169 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1451407237986.png
169 KB, 633x758
Gay lobby forced the removal of the CEO after he donated money to the anti-gay lobby.
>>
File: werks on my machine.png (46 KB, 375x360) Image search: [Google]
werks on my machine.png
46 KB, 375x360
>>52448948
>Scroll the pics
So... the featured items? The weekend deal bullshit? What is it you can't go through?
Are you sure you didn't install an extension you don't know how to use and fuck it up or something?
>>
Mismanagement.
>>
>>52448980
>So... the featured items?
is that what you call them? they have on the front page pics that has a right arrow that you can scroll, you know featured things i guess
>>
SJWs who cant code
>>
>>52449081
Yes, that is what they are.

I've logged into my profile, scrolled through my massive screenshot collection, browsed around on the store and accessed the Community Discussion/Forums just fine.
I had one minor hangup.
>Won't login
>Oh lol *edit uMatrix window and allow it to actually go through*
>reload
>works fine

You're doing something incredibly wrong if it doesn't work for you.
>>
>>52449137
>You're doing something incredibly wrong if it doesn't work for you.
must be an extension?
>>
>>52449175
I don't know what else it could be.

Maybe you shouldn't go throwing on extensions and add-ons without knowing how to work them and what they might effect.
>>
>>52448813
>4 versions behind
>using a browser version with exploits publicly available on Mozilla's own site
ok
>>
>>52448737
>it's still the best

I would frame it as "least worst."

But only just.
>>
File: 500px-Iceweasel_icon.svg.png (155 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
500px-Iceweasel_icon.svg.png
155 KB, 500x500
Master race reporting in.
>>
It didn't, you're just a stupid fuck who doesn't understand how software works

>I UPDATED AND ITS NOW SLOW ON MY PENTIUM 4!!!
>WHAT IS THIS NEW ICON? I CAN'T ADAPT TO THIS CHANGE!!!!

Think it's bad? don't upgrade, you can download an older version or even compile the fucking thing yourself, but don't expect the world to be held back from great new features just because Fedora Mc. Neckbeard doesn't like change
>>
Used Firefox for close to 10 years, 2 weeks ago switched to Chrome. Sorry, but it's more responsive and faster
>>
>>52449810
more like meme race, amirite /g/uys?

Otherwise i have used firefox since version 3.0, and it's pain to see it come to total shit. Are there any non-meme browsers to look at?
what's up with Opera?
>>
>>52449832
>open site
>crashes completely
>script is not responding x10
>somehow they fail at this despite having the fastest JavaScript engine of them all
>open page in Vivaldi
>smooth sailing
>>
>>52450076
Why do you have all these problems with firefox? execept for crashes like once a month it werks perfectly fine
>>
>>52450117
Even on a clean profile I can't open any JavaScript heavy site (every goddamn site these days) without it at least freezing up for a few seconds
>>
>>52450076
>Vivaldi
>closed source
I wonder what their business model is :8
>>
>>52450131
I honestly don't know
As I'm usually quite paranoid on those kind of things I've been packet capturing my system while running Vivaldi and I haven't noticed anything suspicious
>>
>>52450128
noscript
>>
>>52448671
SJW bullshit.>>52448671
>>
>>52450128
Dont have these problems with latest stable at all. both windows and linux version werk just fine for me.
>>
>>52450153
>noscript on modern sites
>nothing works
T-thanks
I'll be white listing scripts that sites need for the next few days just to find out it will just lock the browser again
>>
Since they took out power features, like ability to set showoneoffbuttons to false to restore the non-retarded search box, and then told users who reported the setting no longer working to fuck off.

They also put search as the first result in the URL bar which is completely fucking retarded when you have both a search and URL bar.
>>
>>52450131
https://vivaldi.com/source/

ok, kid
>>
>>52448671
It all started when they removed the RSS icon from the address bar.
>>
>>52450384
>Not getting rid of the search bar in cuztomization and using keywords in the nav bar for various functions and different searches

You don't get to talk about power features.
>>
>>52450400
I could, but I'd rather just keep a functional search bar.
>>
>>52450400
Enjoy not having a search history.
>>
>>52450400
Also here.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-to-search-bar/?src=external-Add-ons_Manager_Context_Menu-extension

This takes all the work out of it.

Right click on any searchbar in any site or service
Add to search bar
Add in key word to activate it
Done
>>52450430
I have a whole button that will display my recent history
Don't tell me you actually want that shit stored long term
Even if you do I'm sure you use google and they keep track of it for you.
Don't worry.
>>
>>52448671
It's still the least awful.
But when Mozilla will fuck too much the extensions, or when they remove the ability to disable all the botnet bloat they inserted I will probably move to some chromium port.
>>
>>52450450
>not work in FF44 and later
Get ripped.
>>
It's still better than Chrome.
>>
>>52450483
>Having 44+

lol
>>
File: AeroShot.png (56 KB, 792x504) Image search: [Google]
AeroShot.png
56 KB, 792x504
>>52448671
Far from worst. Chromium, Safari, IE, Edge are worse than Firefox. Opera Presto was the only better browser.

>>52448728
>bloat
you are the definition of a retard.
>>
is there a good firefow fork that keeps extentions?
I don't experience any of the sluggyness except on youtube which occasionally freezes the tab.
>>
>>52450670
Stay on version 43.
>>
File: MASTER_RACE2.png (415 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
MASTER_RACE2.png
415 KB, 1600x900
>2016
>Not using elinks
What the fuck is wrong with you image addicts. Just learn to imagine what images are in posts it makes 4chain more fun
>>
File: Browser Feature Comparison v2.1.png (958 KB, 1554x4182) Image search: [Google]
Browser Feature Comparison v2.1.png
958 KB, 1554x4182
>>52448671
It's still not too bad. The same also happened to Opera. Everyone wants to be a Chrome clone now, thinking that Chrome is leading because of its quality instead of its marketing.
>>
Everybody is waiting for Vivaldi...
>>
I recently downloaded Lightning (a firefox based browser on android).

Its 2 MB. Compare that to a regular firefox android app (~40 mb).

What the fuck happened? All that bloat eating up firefox.

There needs to be a trimming of services for firefox.
>>
>>52451028
Lightning isn't firefox based.
It uses androids webview to render pages.
Firefox has to include it's own gecko engine in the apk package.
>>
>>52448699
>>exceptionally bad SJeWs
>>
I switched to Chromium after the scroll lag became too unbearable.
>>
women ruin everything they touch
>>
>>52448671

I still trust it more than any other botnet browser.
>>
>>52448671
it's still the best
>>
>>52450758
There is Vivaldi.
Blink engine, with customization and options.
And a proper url bar.

I rike it.
>>
>>52449786
fucking this

the reason firefox is getting worse is because they are removing features and copying chrome.

I want firefox for all the "power user" features and they keep removing them or dumbing it down.
>>
File: 1427588554883.jpg (237 KB, 500x511) Image search: [Google]
1427588554883.jpg
237 KB, 500x511
is there any way around that fucking disgusting gtk3 file selection dialog? jesus fucking christ
>>
>>52451738
using wangblows, or just copying the directory to the file and pasting it
>>
>>52451747
i might do just that, or switch to chromium where they still keep a sane file selection dialog.

firefox is really turning into shit.
>>
>>52448671
It hasn't. That's just FUD spread by Google shills.
>>
>>52451738
Wait, a lemon turns a niglet into Biggie Smalls?
>>
>>52451807
No.
It just reveals him to the world.
>>
It never was the best browser.
>>
>>52448699
>>52450474
>It's still the least awful.

These.

But also the lesson is that you should never fucking ever be sponsored and most notable this when the sponsor is
* your competition
* an advertisement/"search engine" company
>>
>>52448671
It never stopped being the best.
>>
>>52452957
This, but the current state of browsers in general is just bad.
Why can't people come up with something that isn't another firefox fork or bloated shit?
>>
>>52448671
it was never the best browser, it has always been unstable and it always rendered websites poorly.
>>
It's still the best you nigger
>>
P A L E M O O N
A
L
E
M
O
O
N
>>
>>52453312
>Palememe
"We have all the same add-ons. T-they are just years older versions with less functionality and features" - The Browser
>>
>>52448671
When they started to believe that market share is equal with being like Chrome.

As it was clearly visible for everyone, that calculation has gone terrible wrong, and these days Mozilla must put more and more side projects to the graveyard to be able to survive.
>>
>>52453365
This does not matter in the end, Firefox is becoming much worse than Pale Moon once the transformation to Chrome 2 is finished.

You believe Webextension is all what they add? Nope, Servo will be a Blink look-a-like and work-a-like engine which allows the same amount of customization in the UI what Chrome does allow: Almost zero.
>>
still less shitty than alternatives. (except iceweasel and icecat)
>>
>>52453312
Idiot. Otter Browser or Qupzilla or Qutebrowser once they have QTWebengine and feature Chrome add-ons.
>>
>>52453365
How does it even matter? What kind of bloat do you fucks install over your browser? I use ublock and noscript, both work fine. So does downthemall. The only problematic addon is greasemonkey. Do you need your floating dicks addons that much? Because that may very well be a reason why your firefox "lags and its so slow!!!!" you inbreed.
Less is more.
>>
>>52454283
Exactly. But to speak about less is more, a browser should feature all useful features inside the core. Ad-block, Script blocking features, customization! That is all what counts.

For this reason i use Qupzilla as my main browser since Firefox has gone fake Chrome.
>>
>>52453119
A browser which only can survive in becoming a fake Chrome, is hardly the best. It is more the worst of the worst.
>>
this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCgQDjiotG0

They got too comfortable, and dropped focus on making the web faster

They are still good, but they are now playing catchup with ZERO reasons to use them over chrome.
>>
>>52450131
The only closed code is their UI, as they do not want that lamers like you fork the UI code and create their own Vivaldi clones.

Because that would fags like you do, fork the browser, create tons of closes and drive the original company into ruin.

Fucking FOSS fags, you destroy EVERYTHING!

And when there is really a need for your help in forking Firefox and making it customizable again without add-ons, you do NOTHING.

Fuck you!
>>
>>52454372

>Because that would fags like you do, fork the browser, create tons of closes and drive the original company into ruin.

Hey Anon! Can you give even one instance where this happened?

No?

Oh okay, so you were just baiting
>>
someone post the fox tipping fedora
>>
>>52454406
Mozilla and forks? Look in what for a bad shape Mozilla is today. That can also be partly be blamed towards the forks.
>>
>>52454406
And it is also the right of a company to not share parts of a product. Why should a fag be allowed to fork the whole product just to be able to call it "their own"?

Open source is the beloved concept of content thieves and shameless rippers, which do shit on spiritual property!
>>
>>52454342
Chrome is fucking boss tho, they didn't have a chance.
>>
>>52454444
fuaaark check em
>>
I still use firefox 90% of the time but I'm noticing a disturbing trend that some web pages don't even seem to bother to test in firefox anymore and are broken unless you use chrome.
>>
>>52448766
>>52448699
>>52448986

absolutely bad management. the current mozilla clearly have no idea why people even used firefox in the first place. they've spent years implementing features people don't want\need, removing features that people do want\need, and dragging their heels on important features that the browser should have had years ago
>>
firefox is not the worst browser, the reason being that the alternatives blow almost as bad
>>
>>52448728
firefox was laggy and bloated from day one. In the beginning i refused to use it because of it, used IE6 instead.
>>
>>52448671
I still like it fine.

Anyway, what are the other options? IE? Chrome? Safari?
>>
Just use ESR for the time being.
>>
>>52448671
I've been happily running Firefox 3.6 with no problems since 2009.
>>
>>52448671
SJWs and they tried to imitate Chrome.
>>
>>52448671
SJWs fired the CEO that was doing right things.

Anyway, I use the version 36.0 of FF because it doesn't have all the botnet spyware the newer versions have.
>>
I imagine when e10s, webextensions, and Servo are finished and hit Firefox, Mozilla will fork and rebrand the browser.

You'll all hail it as the second coming of christ when it's what they were trying to do anyway.
>>
>>52453312
blatant issues with pale moon have been present for forever and it doesn't look like they will ever be fixed. i used it for about a year but the nuances got to me and i went back to firefox
>>
>>52454966
This is equivalent to boasting that you practice unprotected sex...
>>
>>52455135
As God intended
>>
>>52455065
have been using e10s for the better part of a year now, it's great.
>>
>>52455135
It's the only kind worth having.
>>
>>52455168
It works badly with WEBMs (hitting arbitrary memory limits crashes the rendering thread) and breaks Downthemall stable. DTA nightly works fine. It's so much faster than non-multiprocess Firefox, so I'm using it anyway.

I find webextensions to be unnecessarily limited, but XUL shit needs to go. I agree with a lot of Mozilla's choices even if their implementation is awful.

What we really need is an entirely new browser, WebKit is basically abandoned by Apple, Blink only exists to serve Google's ends, Gecko is old&busted, Servo won't exist in a meaningful form for at least 18 months, and alternatives are virtually nonexistant. I'd kill for a privacy- and speed-focused browser with a built-in uMatrix-like blocker and userscript/style support, with a new extension architecture, the speed of Chrome and customizability of old Firefox.
>>
>>52455384
i open every video file with mpv anyway so the webm issue is not really relevant for me but i agree that it could annoy some users. i use wget instead of downthemall.
>>
Almost this entire thread is anti-firefox shillbait
>>
>>52455163
>>52455193
Ok, but I won't be putting my USB stick in your PC, if you catch my drift.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.png (296 KB, 700x369) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.png
296 KB, 700x369
Am I the only one that likes Cyberfox?
https://8pecxstudios.com/
>>
>>52448889
Lord Gables isn't always the brightest rock in the lightbulb factory, friend.
>>
File: fox.gif (1 MB, 640x361) Image search: [Google]
fox.gif
1 MB, 640x361
I'm on the Nightly firefox branch right now.

Jesus ass-fucking christ is it horrible.
They decided it would be a great fucking idea to implement a system to automatically convert ALL Flash objects to godawful HTML5.
Of course, it makes everything even slower and doesn't fully work 100% of the time.
Also, Java is no longer supported.
brb switching the fuck back

The only good thing is that they managed to make it shutdown in less than five seconds.
>>
>>52448671
alex jones probably has the answer to this question.
>>
mozzila be a good browser din du nuffin you racis fucbois
>>
>>52455685
>using pre-alpha software
>complains when it breaks
But seriously, the HTML5 Flash interpreter is part of the effort to kill NPAPI, which is a huge security hole and hardly used. Even Adobe is trying to kill Flash.

What the fuck do you even use Java applets for, anyway? They're universally reviled.
>>
>>52455904
>huge security hole
I don't give a single fuck about security because I'm not a retard and don't do dumb shit.
There are a few online games in java, and it would be pretty swell if, you know, my browser allowed me to fucking play them.
And hell, 100% of all HTML5 players I have ever seen were shit and were either laggy or broke all the fucking time, although that is also probably Firefox's fault.
>>
>>52448671
It was never the best though.
Opera was better.
>>
>>52456004
only until 12.16
>>
>>52454504
lol, no.
>>
>>52455645
Sure, best Firefox rebrand on Windows IMHO, even though I personally have given up on Windows.
>>
Firefox is still the best for browsing at home with adblock and noscript. the only drawback is that rendering speed doesn't feel as fast as chrome.

Chrome is good for web deving at work, although the inspector seems to be getting buggier by the year, if you're in the trade you know what I mean. Also memory hog.

Opera... nobody uses it.
>>
>>52448797
you forgot the most important one: request policy
>>
>>52455979
>muh gaymz
>>
>>52457467
ublock origin can do the same exact shit as request policy plus it has adblock list support.
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.