[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: DSCF0016.jpg (161 KB, 980x624) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0016.jpg
161 KB, 980x624
g/ i know this obsolete but what should i do with this thing i've been gifted? haven't bothered to find out what board it's got, all i know is...
2x 3.06Ghz Xeon Processor
4x 1GB DDR PC2700

can anyone elaborate on what it's machine model might be if any? just fucking anything really
>>
>>52441615
connect it to your central air in your house, it should warm up the place nicely.
>>
>>52441636
don't know about that, when i powered it on earlier there was a pretty cool draft coming out the back! sound's like it want's to take off too, got plenty off hot swap fans in
>>
>>52441661
donate it to the openbsd project
>>
A NetBurst Xeon system like that will consume about the same amount of power as a modern system, but of course they are very inefficient with that power, but a computer is still a computer. It's still able to do everything it was able to do in 2003/2004.

Can see potential in it as a legacy test/file server with some cheapo 300GB U320 drives, maybe you could even charge people over CL to archive floppy disks or something. Also fine as a web server or terminal server, pretty much any job where maximal speed and efficiency isn't a problem.

Put Debian or Windows Server 2k3 on it and do a bit of exploring, you might learn something.

Also, it just looks like a whitebox kit server, doesn't look like it was made by any particular OEM.
>>
>>52441708
thank you very much for the informative reply, indeed power consumption is an issue for me and is one of the reason's i wouldn't like to entertain the idea of running it 24/7, i will save your reply as text and look in to some of the terminology you have used... ah if by CL you mean craigslist then that's not an option for me as i'm in the UK, have thought about running something on it and for that exact reason you said so your right i just may do thanks... also seems to have labels on it that indicate what you have said, that it is a "whitebox" but yea thanks!
>>
>>52441966
Can't see it breaking your wallet if you pace yourself, the clock speed indicates they're probably Xeons based on the Gallatin core which has a TDP of around 90 W (and a nice 1 MB L3 cache to give it even more of an edge over the shittier, hotter cores that came after them)

If you're still really concerned about it, you can also grab a kill-a-watt or something that will measure the power consumption.

Have fun, /g/ generally gets kind of autistic about older servers for whatever reason but I see them as fine learning/hobby tools that are easier to store anyway because of the rack mounting capabilities.
>>
>>52442154
yep your right about that too... i don't think it would break my wallet although if it costs me too much and i don't learn or gain from it (not that i'm someone out for profit) then i don't know if i should bother and perhaps just try to sell it, as i have no real use for it. Would be cheaper for me to go with a web host if i need to host a site if i'm not mistaken but never mind.

Uhm label say's 533Mhz FSB & 512k Level 2 Cache but that's cool cheers i'll look up the Gallatin core.

yea i've noticed that around /g and if anything that's all it is to me at the minute, a learning tool... haven't got a rack for it though haha
>>
>>52442154
don't know if your still around anon but is this thing of any worth still? there's 2 more in the server, part number on the packaging of this one reads CO-313299-001 but model seems to be PS-3381-1C1
>>
File: DSCF0005.jpg (252 KB, 1080x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0005.jpg
252 KB, 1080x1200
forgot pic
>>
>>52442352
>>52442786
They're a hard sell because they're big and kind of a niche thing nowadays since most entry-level home server buyers go for SBCs now, but if you can find a buyer you can probably get around US$30-$40 out of it. Hell, maybe even more.
>>
Install the recommended amount of dedicated ram to run minecraft on your PC.
>>
>>52442892
ah ok that's not to bad i guess... i had figured realistically about £40-60, although I've seen a review someone put of one on amazon for a ridiculous price like £300+

as someone who seem's to know alot about server hardware anon and by no means is this an offer, would you ever contemplate running hardware not bought through conventional methods?
>>
no results for PS-3381-1C1 on amazon.co.uk but on amazon.com there $20 yea ha
>>
>>52443376
>would you ever contemplate running hardware not bought through conventional methods?
Depends on what you mean, everything I run regularly is used, either corporate/university surplus or from a recycler.

>>52443455
Yeah that's just a part number for the redundant power supply.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.