[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best way to learn python? Especially for someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 260x326) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 260x326
What is the best way to learn python? Especially for someone who hasn't written a single line of code. Can anyone pass along some helpful websites or recommend any books? I was looking into pic related

Thanks.
>>
>>52433012
Codecademy

Not even kidding....
>>
Read a book that has beginner or fundamentals in the title. then another one. then another one. if youre sick of it go watch youtube video series for beginner. then look for simple projects. code every day and youll get better eventually.
>>
I would reccomend that you install sublime-text

From within sublime-text theres a add-on you can install called buildview

From here you can just start coding

Inside sublime-text make a file called test.py and inside it write

print "hello world"

Hit ctrl-b and a new tab should open named Build output that contains the text 'hello world'

Start practicing what you think is simple and fun and youll learn quickly
Learn boolean expressiona like 'if()' and while-loops
>>
>>52433104
Is there anything like this for Atom?
>>
The cs61a text from berkeley
>>
>>52433020
>Memecademy
No
>>52433012
Grab a book, picture related is good enough
>>
>>52433315
CodeCademy is great for learning the Syntax. After that though I'd move onto a book, like Learn Python The Hard Way.
>>
Udacity python course. It's free + I've heard it's good. I think it's from google
>>
Think python by Allen Downey. It easily the best book in learning python. Go to the MIT opencoursework page an look for computer science or electrical engineering. They have a phyton tutorial using think python.
>>
At a university
>>
>>52433104
How do I install buildview?
>>
The MIT intro to programming course is free online and they use python.
>>
Sorry you first need the package manager
https://packagecontrol.io/installation
Follow these instructions, it shoulnt take more than a minute

Once you're done hit ctrl-shift-p and type 'install' and there should be an option to install a package
Once you've clicked that type 'buildview' and install it

Ive never used atom so I dont know, the reason this works in sublime-text is becouse sublime runs console commands if you hit ctrl-b so you can create any custom shell command and run it through sublime
>>
I checked it out and there is a build option in atom
https://atom.io/packages/build
Dont really know the specifics though
>>
I used google university's python course only a month ago. I knew 0 python and 0 other languages unless you count shell scripting. Now I just finished my first production tool.

Learn Python The Hard Way I tried but I don't feel it was a good resource. Its also Python 2 only.
>>
>>52433012
*especially since the documentation on python DOES NOT EXIST
>>
>>52434898
Also I wouldn't feel comfortable to learn from a book that refers to its reader as "dummy".
>>
install python
open up the repl
start messing around with shit
>>
>>52434938
>python
>repl
Choose one
>>
if you want to LEARN python you're going to have to program a shit ton in python for a minimum of 6 months but reccommended 9 months. You're going to have to look up guides on stack overflow and on youtube. You'll then need to pick a compiled language after you outgrow this ( assumming you made a major project with it and not just followed tuts). See you on the other side cowboy...
>>
>>52433012
What is wrong with the book that you need online tutorials?
>>
>>52435194
Is learning a complied language first recommended then? I'm learning C first.
>>
>>52435934
no, best to learn a scripting language. Then C++
>>
>>52435934
C first is a good idea imo. Less abstraction hiding details of what really happens in software
>>
>>52433012

I think Udacity's Intro to.Computer Science is free and teaches Python.
>>
>>52436069
>best to learn a scripting language

Lol no
>>
>>52436088
I was planning to learn it for a while until I understand a lot of concepts, especially lower level ones, then move onto C++ and Java.

I've heard that learning C is generally a good way to learn the foundation of all modern languages.
>>
The google python class is a good way to go:

https://developers.google.com/edu/python/?hl=en
>>
>>52434919
get over it, check the fucking content not the title
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.