[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best method for long term file storage?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
I've got some pics of ex girlfriends and other sensitive materials that I want to put into long term storage. What's the best way to do this? I'm thinking either external drive or zipping the folder and putting it on a free dropbox account/google drive
>>
>zipping the folder and putting it on a free dropbox account/google drive
kek
>>
File: shopping.jpg (17 KB, 397x275) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
17 KB, 397x275
Some Delkin Archival Gold CD's will do the trick
Easy to view data with accessibility of CD devices, Looking at +50 years of data retention, easily hideable storage medium
Good luck
>>
Print them and put them on a box
>>
>>52383124
IIRC he can legally own them in burgerland as long as they were originally given/taken by him

it is NOT legal to spread said photos

my only worry with dropbox would be the random roumers i've heard its not going to last a few more years, i'd go with google imho

or go buy some zipdrives from goodwill

>tfw when i've got like 12 drives for $3 at a yardsale
>got 10 200mb disks and like 20 of the 50s for like $10

dunno how long term these things are, but they're magnetic tape so it should last a while, i've never had issues with my zips so far, and if these old as fuck disks are viable they should last a good while longer
>>
>>52383090
Post them on 4chan.
>>
>>52383090
In private?
RAID array + backup HDD, also create parity files with par2 or something.

REALLY long-term storage? Publish them on the internet.
>>
>>52383124
Isn't .zip aes256 encrypted? If zip isn't safe, is there another encryption/compression method that's safer?
>>
>>52383310
they're all "unsafe" until you add a password fuckboi

if you are, honestly not sure.

look into 7zip, 7z i think is slightly smaller, and has more options.
>>
>>52383310
Lel, no.

> If zip isn't safe, is there another encryption/compression method that's safer?
You can try 7z or peazip, they have encryption options on a bunch of formats.

But if you use dropbox, if a flaw in the encryption (even of this program) becomes known, obviously you'll never be able to secure this data again, dropbox will have access.

If you respect privacy utterly, you keep this stuff it in your own storage.
If you don't, just put it out here, at least it has more use.
>>
>>52383354
PS: Dropbox also gives you a fuck's worth of a guarantee that your data will be kept, and kept intact.

If they "woops, deleted" it, it's gone. If they close doors for business reasons, it may also be gone.
If they corrupt some data, you may not even know it's gone until later.

There are other providers who give stronger technical and legal guarantees of data integrity and redundancy, but not Dropbox.
>>
>>52383191
this.
this way, whenever you want to look at them again, you just have to ask.
>>
Is it really worth the effort to store pictures of some 6/10 cunt?
>>
>>52383090
true crypt container and whatever support you want
>>
>>52383392
Everything above 2/10 is probably stored and fapped to.

You don't have to participate, it's still the primary purpose of photography and the massive work of infrastructure and end devices that is the internet.
>>
>>52383422
>>You don't have to participate, it's still the primary purpose of photography and the massive work of infrastructure and end devices that is the internet.
Bit of a truism. It's obvious that I don't have to participate. I was really asking OP why he's putting so much effort into this.
>>
>>52383134
this
>>52383208
or this

you can combine too
>>
>>52383310
Well, I wasn't really focusing on the zip part. In my opinion, it's insane to even think about free cloud services as an option for long term storage. What if they suddenly decide you have to log in every 6 months to retain the data, or some shit? What if the company goes bankrupt? They have full control over your precious files.
>>
>>52383445
It's honestly very little effort

> encrypt
> compress
> password protect
> upload to media/hosting
>>
>>52383445
How is *this* "much effort"?

Besides, he can use it for other data too, once he figures this out.

Dunno, don't you have anything you've stored on a computer that you want to carry forward into the more distant future?
>>
>>52383476

Valid, but if they can't even access the encrypted data, what's the harm really? I'm looking for a storage method that's least likely to fail. If my portable hard drive gets bumped too hard, it may die and there goes my nudies. I'd gamble that google drive is less likely to fail.
>>
>>52383527
If you go cloud, go Amazon Glacier.

At least they essentially contractually guarantee their levels of replication and that they verify checksums on transfer and access and periodically and stuff.

Pretty much all the free services are able to access and use your data as they want and guarantee jack shit with regards to keeping it / keeping it intact.

And you still want a local copy or two *alive* with a checksum, because the "oh shit, Amazon went bankrupt " moment -unlikely as it may be right now- might just be the one when you want to look for your data on the drive and it doesn't work anymore because you had it in cold storage and it got damaged somehow.
>>
>>52383090
Punch cards, of course.
>>
So here's a post about cracking zip password protection:

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/33410/can-password-protected-zip-files-be-broken-without-brute-force

Based on this, it looks like the only way to be able to access the files is via a brute force attack. That said, the zip file is still writable, so an attacker would be able to view the names of the files contained inside, as well as replace specific files with another file of the same name. So they wouldn't be able to see the nudie pics, just "break" them (replace them with something else). That is, unless someone manages to crack aes256
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.