[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: 1452552350421.jpg (220 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1452552350421.jpg
220 KB, 1280x960
This thread was created to prevent anons from spamming new threads, for technology questions they have.
If you are that person, post your simple/small/stupid questions here

Don't bump. This is a slow board, and will continue to be. Wait for an answer or google it.

If you see other anons posting questions outside this thread, ignore or redirect them here
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
Are there any good debuggers like Immunity but a bit more user-friendly and less 1337?
>>
Hi /g/ this is a stupid question thread so I have a very stupid question to ask. I have been using Github for only a small amount of time abd have started seeing alot of programs that have no executable file to run them, for example: https://github.com/Partinarel/map-make/tree/master/map_explore/map_explore. I would really appreciate it if someone could explain how to run these or even just point me towards a site that explains it. Thanks and sorry for being stupid.
>>
Is there a laptop manufacturer that won't screw me over? Yeah I know

>not building a nice desktop

But fuck it. My last two laptops both went obsolete because the manufacturer never updated their drivers, and drivers from each individual component manufacturer didn't work. Is there any company that sells something I'll actually be allowed to update two years from now?
>>
>>52381666
>https://github.com/Partinarel/map-make/tree/master/map_explore/map_explore

I think there is an exe? check this folder:
https://github.com/Partinarel/map-make/tree/master/map_explore/map_explore/bin/Release
>>
Is there some sort of an IDE (?) to use python with?
I mean, I'm used to Matlab, and I like having an editor and a command line together, so I can write scripts in the editor, and check the results in the command line and do some quick calculations there also. And I like having to choose my work folder from which I run files etc..
Is there something like this I can run on Linux for python?
Or I have to make it with a code editor (like notepadqq) and the command line?
>>
I've got a laptop hard drive that I want to put in my current PC.
I connected both the power and data SATA cables and I can hear it spin up but it doesn't show up in the drive manager.
Is there anything I'm missing?
>>
>>52381741
yep, EXE is there

>>52381666
In cases where it isn't, you'll notice there's a solution file in
https://github.com/Partinarel/map-make/tree/master/map_explore

You can download the zip, and open the solution file in Visual Studio. From there, you just compile it yourself and run the output executable.
>>
File: repl-loop.png (16 KB, 458x290) Image search: [Google]
repl-loop.png
16 KB, 458x290
>>52381758
You're kindof talking about the REPL.

bpython and ipython might help you, though they're not as IDEish. Maybe ipython-notebook? Never used it myself, but heard good things.
>>
>>52381758
PyCharm or Sublime Text 3 with extensions.
>>
This is a REALLY stupid question but what is meant by:
Basic knowledge of Desktop End User working environment
>>
What a some good by hand friendly ciphers? so far I have
>ROT
>Playfair
>keyed ROT
>Rail Fence
>Route cipher
>Columnar transposition

needs to basic enough to be cracked by hand
>>
>>52381838
Translation: How to navigate around Windows.
>>
>>52381758
>I'm used to Matlab
Spyder
>>
>>52381741
>>52381805
Haha wow thats embarrassing, thanks for the help.
>>
When I mount a drive, it is mounted as read-only and is write protected. I can mount the same drive just fine on a different OS, so it isn't a hardware issue. chmod doesn't work because >write protected
remounting as rw doesn't work obviously, fsck doesn't work, etc.

They mount just fine, /etc/fstab is correct, I have no idea what is wrong.
>>
What do I need to look for when shopping for a tablet? I have no idea what makes a tablet good or bad. I just need a smallish one for reading weeb comics, pdf's and watching videos on my commute.
>>
how can i sync my 4chan folder between my laptop and my desktop?
no dropbox, please. i want to do everything locally without internet
>>
>>52382150
drag and drop
or syncthing it's p2p
>>
File: ok yes.png (8 KB, 377x326) Image search: [Google]
ok yes.png
8 KB, 377x326
>>52382168
thank you
>>
>>52382150
You could setup something pretty simple with scp and cron, would probably be a more robust and elegant solution.
>>
>>52381888
Man, hit me up I'll buy you a beer, this is exactly what I needed, thanks.
>>
>>52382194
thanks. i'll check out synchthing first, since i'm only running linux as a backup os. if that doesn't work i'll look into cron and scp.
>>
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-Flair-Performance-SDCZ73-064G-G46/dp/B015CH1NAQ

I have no experience with USB 3.0 sticks whatsoever. How do they perform on USB 2.0 port? Will this drive deliver 30mb/sec writing speed on USB 2.0 port?
>>
>>52382231
you have to keep in mind that the advertised speeds are only in very specific situations and usually just in short bursts. a 3.0 drive on a 2.0 port should be as fast as a 2.0 drive on a 2.0 port.
>>
>>52382252
>you have to keep in mind that the advertised speeds are only in very specific situations and usually just in short bursts.
Yeah I know that. I saw the reviews below that states 40-60mb/sec writing speed. But, I think they use USB 3.0 port.

>a 3.0 drive on a 2.0 port should be as fast as a 2.0 drive on a 2.0 port.
Thanks. I know in theory USB 2.0 can be able to deliver 60mb/sec speeds. Hope it performs great.
>>
I have ordered an i5 6600 with an h110 mobo, is there a way to make it run to 3.9NigHz (turbo clockspeed) with all four cores activated? And are there other ways to slightly OC it besides the bclk way?
>>
I need help with a solution for my internet connection. Our router is in our garage, while my pc is in a room on the opposite side of the house one floor up. Can't change the location of modem/router (it's one device) because of reasons. Now, whenever we park the car in the garage, my internet speeds become absolute garbage. I go from a solid 2mB/s donwload speed to about 250 kB/s.

How can I make the signal stronger? Or, alternatively, can I run a cable from the modem/router box to the hallway and have the wifi signal go out from there with something? I can run a cable to the hallway/ the space between the ground floor and the first floor no problem, but I can't reach my room without drilling a bunch of holes and getting a stupid long cable.
>>
>>52382367
Get a powerline adapter.
>>
>>52382396
how do those work exactly? Just to clarify, it's not the signal that's a problem. It never falls away, I've got three out of 5 bars at the moment. It's just that the speed becomes garbage. Just saying in case I wasn't clear.
>>
Is pale moon (or some other firefox-like) compatible with all addons for firefox? Any noteworthy exceptions?

I need a replacement since mozzarella is going to completely remove support for unsigned addons in a couple of months.
>>
Is there a way to blacklist packages in Zypper/PackageKit?

For example, to prevent the utterly useless shit package K3B from being reinstalled during an update, how do I blacklist it after purging it in a cleansing light of purification?
>>
>>52382409
There's a difference between fidelity of the connection and the signal strength.

The powerline adapter uses the existing wiring in your home to create a direct connection between your modem/router and whatever you plug the other end into. There's many different options, but the basic idea is two boxes - one plugs into the wall and hardwires into the modem/router, the other end plugs into the wall and either hardwires into a single device, hardwires into multiple devices, or hardwires into a single device and also provides wi-fi. You won't have to worry about the car ruining the fidelity of the connection because you'll effectively have run a hardwire ethernet connection to the device.
>>
File: file.png (649 KB, 800x732) Image search: [Google]
file.png
649 KB, 800x732
What language should I learn for web development besides JS and PHP?

Yes, I know PHP is shit.

No memes please.
>>
File: MSFT_logo_png.png (21 KB, 2096x771) Image search: [Google]
MSFT_logo_png.png
21 KB, 2096x771
How do I escape the botnet /g/ I feel trapped.
B O T N E T
O
T
N
E
T
>>
Where do i learn more about pic related?
Got it from my motherboard specifications page
>>
>>52382445
Sweet, that might be exactly what I need. I just hope it odesn't ened to be on the same electric thingamajing? Look, I'm a retard when it comes to electrical stuff, I just know that when the circuit breaker for the garage/kitchen/living room trips, my room ont he first floor isn't affected. Will that be a problem, you think?
>>
>>52382630
Not at all. As long as the router and your room are on the same panel (hint: they are) you'll get signal. The only caveat is that both boxes absolutely need to be plugged directly into the wall, not into a surge protector or any form of an extension cord - it'll dilute the signal and fuck everything up.
>>
File: 2016-01-12 21.24.19.png (42 KB, 1205x460) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-12 21.24.19.png
42 KB, 1205x460
>>52382615
Sorry, forgot the pic
>>
amd 965 BE CPU
GTX 960 GPU
Asus M4N68T-M V2 Socket AM3/ GeForce 7025/ DDR3-1800(O.C.)/ A&V&GbE/ MATX Motherboard
hec X ORION 585 WATT POWER SUPPLY
Im wondering what would be the best cpu to upgrade to that is compatible with my motherboard.I was looking for something in the 150-180$ range.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Those are my current specs above
>>
I want some kind of torrent network in wich you can choose video only as you wish, and audio only, and have them sync somehow.
Finding a semi-obscure movie in english and looking out for it dubbed is a pain in the ass, so the video with no audio combined with the other language audio file would be nice.

Does something like that even exist?
>>
Does anyone have experience programming on a 13 inch laptop? Is it pleasant or should I go for bigger?

Specifically I'm looking at macbook air vs macbook pro
>>
>>52382644
Well, that's sweet. I don't have a socket directly in the wall next to the router, but that's nothing a few meters of cable won't solve to get to the opposite wall. Thanks a lot for your help, glad I came here to ask about this.
>>
>>52382775
>>>/lbgt/
>>
>>52381603
what is the highest performing thinkpad that doesn't fall under the "new" category?

Is there any way to "make them faster"? I have zero experience with laptops and I was given two r500s and a r61 and they are a slow as dick.
>>
I have Firefox with the hardened user.js and uMatrix, uBlock, and HTTPS Everywhere. .gifs don't play even with addons disabled. What do I need to change?
>>
>>52382900
Your life
>>
why do videos lag so bad on firefox at 1080p but not on chromium? it's not a memory issue.
>>
>>52382931
Are using flash or html5 player?
>>
>>52383117
html5
>>
>>52382900
you either fucked up umatrix/ublock rules, or more propable user.js
>>
>>52382845
What do you mean with "new"? If you mean the ones without the shitty chiclet keyboards, then t420/t520/w520/x220

The last ones that were actually made by IBM were the t43 or so, wouldn't be an improvement if you want a fast CPU.

>two r500s and a r61 and they are a slow as dick.
Well, two of the main reasons why /g/ likes Thinkpads are build quality and Linux compatibility. Obviously they won't be slow once you install a proper OS.
>>
>>52383235
I have debian installed and they're okay, just want something that can replace my desktop.
>>
Does anyone have the /g/ mouse guide? I need a new mouse.
>>
>>52383340
The build I want it to replace ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX_QxnuG1XM).
>>
>>52383366
all the mouse guides are shit. go to a local retailer and try some mice, pick the one that's the most comfortable for you.
>>
>>52383366
1. Buy Logitech G500.

There you go.
>>
>>52383407
Fuck off.
>>
>>52382701

None, you're better off looking for a CPU+mobo combo.

Also, stop buying prebuilt.
>>
>>52381603
>>52381603

Right. So I installed the latest Ubuntu on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I did it via DVD in an external USB-connected disk drive.

The laptop had Windows 8 pre-installed so obviously prior to installation I had to change the BIOS/UEFI settings. Disabled Secure Boot. Placed USB first on boot order, etc.

Finally worked after a few restarts. Installed Ubuntu; opted to Erase Disk rather than install it alongside Windows Boot Manager. Seemed to all go smoothly.

Upon disconnecting the USB disk drive and restarting, came up with "Reboot and select proper boot device or blah blah blah etc." so I restarted and went into BIOS to change the boot order so it was (from top to bottom) HDD, USB, ODD, LAN, and then set System Config to CSM boot. SATA settings don't seem to be listed.

Restarted except it came up with an extra paragraph (pic related) with PXE and something about media cables. I also tried with Secure Boot enabled as well as disabled. No change. It's not booting Ubuntu from the HDD. When the USB disk drive is connected with the LiveCD in, it launches the Ubuntu "Try or Install" menu. I tried a bunch of stuff I found on Google but it doesn't apply to this.

How can I fix this? pls help /g/uys
>>
File: temp.png (7 KB, 832x431) Image search: [Google]
temp.png
7 KB, 832x431
My dumb ass is trying to set up a Plex / torrenting server. I've built it. I've installed Debian on it because a friend told me to. Now I have no idea what the fuck is going on.

I'm trying to get remote desktop set up so I can move it off my desk and down to where my entertainment center is, and it's not working. I installed xrdp, and I'm on my Windows 10 laptop, and when I try to remote access it I get pic related, with an X for a cursor.

Am I just a retard? Should I just scrap this and start over with a different OS? Because I also can't get Plex to install for some reason.
>>
File: 1370692201056.jpg (38 KB, 426x341) Image search: [Google]
1370692201056.jpg
38 KB, 426x341
So I'm dumb and dont know how to tell what the issue is but im 80% sure its my hard drive. My computer has been having issues for just over a year with freezing and crashes and such, I also sometimes get boot disk errors, but over all it ran just fine but I went away for a few days and came back and booted my computer up. It took 10 minutes to boot to login screen and when I logged in for 40 minutes it just showed my desktop and wouldnt open anything. If I tried to open something it would freeze for 5 minutes or so. It took 2 hours for the computer to not freeze the moment I touched it and I still cant open more than 2 programs. My friend has been telling me to get a new hard drive for months but I ignored him. This is my hard drive right? Im thinking of going to msy tomorrow and getting a new one. Also im making a boot usb for windows 7. Is that all I need to start setting my pc up again?
>>
>>52382761
Download the video and audio separately
Play them at the same time
Mute audio from video file
>>
>>52383523
Oh shit. Here is pic related.
>>
Opinions on Synology NAS?
>>
>>52383626
Try these, reboot after each:

Disable network boot.
Check if hdd is visible in bios.
Check for other obscure bios settings.

If nothing works try reinstalling, if reinstalling doesn't work try switching from UEFI to legacy (Ubuntu fucked up for me on UEFI before).
>>
So I can limit fps to 60 or just enable vsync in gaymes but what about just applicatons? Is it a good idea to limit to 60 fps in the driver?
>>
>>52383699
Why?
>>
>>52383678
So disabling network boot would mean changing it from CSM to UEFI right? The BIOS menu for this computer is so bare, it seems to be missing a lot of stuff that a lot of people mention, like SATA port settings.

The HDD is visible in the boot order. It goes HDD, USB, ODD, LAN.

Someone mentioned something about me accidentally installing Ubuntu or GRUB to the USB drive instead of the HDD, but I don't see how that is in any way possible.
>>
>>52383488
I bought it in like 2010 prebuilt and Ive been upgrading it.What's the best possible upgrade i could get?
>>
>>52383757

An SSD or a decent power supply
>>
>>52383708
dunno thats partly the question
>>
quick question:
thinkpad r500 or r61?
>>
>>52383730
No, CSM is compatibility support module (I think that's the right acronym), it's for older operating systems. Switch that to UEFI and then reinstall, since somehow GRUB setup seems to have fucked up.
>>
>>52383817
I can't see any reason why you'd do that.
>>
Should i use Deluge? not sure about it this time, what should i use as my BitTorrent Client i have qbit torrent on one of the pcs but not sure what to use now
>inb4 qbstalled maymay
that's why i'm asking
>>
>>52383606
What I mainly want to know if whether or not the problem is my Hard drive and if I should go through with getting that replacement tomorrow.
>>
>>52383900
Transmission-daemon, browser extension.
>>
File: 1371375327132.png (1 MB, 1499x2653) Image search: [Google]
1371375327132.png
1 MB, 1499x2653
>>52383900
Here you go anon
>>
Non-linux user here, whats the deal with systemd? It seems to get a lot of hate on /g/
>>
>>52381839
anyone?
>>
>>52383886
to ensure vsync all the time
>>
>>52384005
Do you experience noticable screen tear in applications?
>>
>>52383871
Anything else I should switch back?

Should I keep HDD at the top of the BIOS list since I can somehow start the DVD even with USB as second?

Also there's secure boot.
>>
>>52383805
For my cpu I mean
>>
>>52383979
Thanks, deluge it is
>>
File: helpdesu.png (86 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
helpdesu.png
86 KB, 800x800
Hey, I want to build my PC. The only thing that matters to me the most is multi-monitor support. I need support for at least four monitors at once.

1 HDMI, and 3 I don't care what, so long as I can use three 1080p monitors together. The ultimate end call setup being three monitors on the desk, and a long hdmi cord running to my TV.

If I buy two graphics cards and SLI them or whatever, does that let me use all the ports from both? As in, if I buy two cards each having 2 hdmi ports, does that mean I could use all four at once?

(Also, on a side note but who cares, on my prebuilt desktop I can't use all the ports at once. If I use the ports from the motherboard and not the graphics card, the computer refuses to start. Why?)
>>
>>52384065

A phenom x6 1xxx series. Not a worthwhile upgrade but hey, if you want to waste moms allowance then go for it.
>>
>>52383982
It monolith, which is in direct violation of the UNIX philosophy (do one thing and do it good). People also claim to have trouble with it but I've personally never had any issues.

>>52384050
I'd try with secure boot off first.
That sounds weird, here's how I setup boot priority on my machine:
1) USB
2) HDD
3+) everything else

When the install is done simply turn off the computer, remove usb and then turn on.
>>
What are some good file manager for android? Why does everything on the play store have inapp purchases?
>>
>>52384167
ES works for me
>>
>>52384129
That's what I did, but it came up with the Reebot with proper boot device screen.

If anything, it seems like it has wiped my hard disk and hasn't installed anything; so I'm gonna install it again and see. If it still says that Windows Boot Manager is installed, I'm going to kick a baby.
>>
>>52384049
well since i changed to a better card there is some kind of screen tear/jump at the button like when you change channel on old tv-s
only when using a tablet emulator tho, windowed mode on the top of the screen
>>
>>52384167

I use total commander, works for me but might be better ones
>>
>>52384183
Looks good but why does it need to read my call information?
>>
I am stupid is iy possibe to stream vlc videos from an android smart phone to my tv and what should I use?
>>
>>52383601
Bumping this because I really need help. I feel so lost that I think starting over is the best way to go. The problem is I'm entirely unfamiliar with any OS that's not Windows, so the learning curve is pretty steep, although I do feel like I'm getting the hang of the console.
>>
>>52384204
bottom *
>>
>>52384204
Sounds like an emulator problem to me.

>>52384199
Try deleting every partition and then creating new ones.

>>52384238
No idea, disable that permission if you can (I think newer versions of android can do this).
>>
What's the best xdcc search engine to use for movies?
>>
>>52384100
>If I buy two graphics cards and SLI them or whatever, does that let me use all the ports from both? As in, if I buy two cards each having 2 hdmi ports, does that mean I could use all four at once?
Yes.
>(Also, on a side note but who cares, on my prebuilt desktop I can't use all the ports at once. If I use the ports from the motherboard and not the graphics card, the computer refuses to start. Why?)
I'm betting it does start, but you get no video output because the GPU's port is set as default output.
>>
>>52384315
i thought that too but the emulator is at the top of the screen in a window the size of 1/4 of the screen and the whole screen jumps when it happens
>>
>>52384293
Bump
>>
>>52384342
>bumping after literally three minutes
Fuck off, I'm not telling you.
>>
>>52384315
Checked the disk for defects. None found. Can't be an incomplete installation. Unless it's something to do with the external RW disk drive - but I doubt it; it's brand new and fully detected.
>>
>>52382775
Resolution is now important than size there. With a retina display, is fine. Without, doable but a bit tight to even be comfy. All depends on your programming environment of choice though. CLI takes up a lot less real estate than xcode.
>>
>>52384293
VLC Player and a micro USB to HDMI cable.

Pretty easy m8.
>>
>>52382931
Implementation. Choice of decided, how they render, etc. If it's too bad, I think you can still tell it to use an external program/plungin. Tell it to user vlc or smplayer.
>>
>>52384373
Please I am sorry I won't do it again nvm thanks >>52384412
>>
>>52384373
I doubt it but the possibility exists that someone was just impersonating him to illicit that very response and could potentially become a hot new meme
>>
>>52384339
If it's only the emulator with that issue then it still seems like an emulator fault to me. Maybe record a webm so we can see what happens.

>>52384392
Nuke everything and reinstall.
>>
I was looking for a cheap tablet to read comics and watch video on the train, so I was thinking of buying a kindle fire. Only apparently I can't order one from amazon.com here in belgium. .co.uk, .fr and .de also don't allow it for some bizarre reason. So, any other tablets of a similar low price that aren't complete garbage?
>>
>>52384481
Bump
>>
I'd there a side by side benchmark site to compare graphics cards under linux? With the open source drivers?
>>
>>52384412
>stream
>>
>>52384492
Is that some chink brand I haven't heard of or are you just also interested in an answer to my question?
>>
>>52384528
What meme is this?
>>
>>52384443
Okay, mega stupid question but this process has made me paranoid.

When you install Ubuntu from a LiveCD, asaumably and by default, it installs it to the hard drive, right?

Also, I just started reinstalling now. It said there were no detectable OS on the computer. This either means the installation is fucked or it just cleared my disk and didn't install. Ubuntu is a lazy fuck.
>>
how the fuck do I log into this vm?
https://www.vulnhub.com/entry/spydersec-challenge,128/
I don't see a username or password supplied to feed linux anywhere.
>>
Microshit website seems to be lacking of downloads for:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Runtime

Now, found the .NET framework somewhere else but not the other 2, anyone knows trust able sites where to download them?
>>
>>52384492
>>52384481
>>52384428
i'm hating this new meme
goddamn kids these days
>>
>>52384555
lemme guess, you've got a uefi mobo don't you
>>
File: 1443302395546.gif (3 MB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
1443302395546.gif
3 MB, 420x300
>>52384492
>>52384546
>Samefagging this hard
We all know dipshit
>>
>>52384555
>stupid question
There are no stupid questions in /sqt/

I haven't installed Ubuntu in ages but it should prompt you where you want it installed.

If it fails again, just switch from UEFI to CSM and then it should work.
>>
>>52384555
Fucking bump!!!!!!!
>>
>>52384636
gonna have to dissapoint you, but the bump wasn't me. There's really no reason to bump anything on these boards anyway.
>>
>>52384657
chill down brotha, this ain't /b/ you don't gotta bump every five minutes
also read the fucking header, you're not entitled to an answer
>>
>>52384605
Yes. And the BIOS menu is barren.

Can switch to CSM boot up. Disable secure boot. Change boot order. I can't find any relevant settings past that.
>>
Is there a way to hack android device if I have access to ones google play account?
>>
>>52384637
I've been through the install process twice and it hasn't once asked which device to install the OS or startup to.

It mentioned that the new partitions will be installed to the "disks". So I assume that it installs it to the HDD by default.

I'm reinstalling it, still in UEFI mode, just so I know it wasn't an install issue. If that doesn't work, I'll reinstall it in CSM mode.
>>
>>52384576
I think that is the whole point, you don't. You listen ie a security challenge
>>
>>52384705
Don't be a faggot I am not telling you
>>
>>52384690
dunno why but some distros just haven't caught up with the times and done a proper implementation of gpt
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-12-18-28-40.png (251 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-12-18-28-40.png
251 KB, 1080x1920
>>52384683
Btw I'm the original poster of that and I didn't bump myself. Pic related.

He's either looking for the same answer or trying to cause chaos.
>>
Should I add the botnet list to my modem or will that fuck up functionality for my windows phoneâ„¢
>>
>>52382473

What do you want to do?
>>
>>52384726
this is not the part of the challenge... take a look at any of the solutions.
>>
>>52384576
>>52384726
>>52384778
If you read the documentation
http://www.creatigon.com/blog/spydersec-challenge-write-up-msf/
They show how you use your own linux system to scan and listen to the VM
>Our IP is 106
>Target is 108
>etc. etc

Also no offence but I don't think you should be trying to learn this kinda security. You'll get yourself into trouble
>>
Is it time to upgrade from windows 7 to 10?
>>
>>52384117
Not sure why you are being so hostile?I have a job.
>>
>>52384798
If you(or anyone) have any cpu+mobo recommendations that would be good.since you seem intent on getting me to switch
>>
What program would you guys recommend, on Windows, to download the subtitle files for multiple files?

I download series by season, and one by one on VLC is a pain. Any help?
>>
>>52382473
If you want to do frontend you have no choice but js

Backend you can do any language, but the most popular for webdev are (in no particular order): node.js, php, ruby, python, go, java, c#, etc..
>>
>>52384769
Tfw asked that 4 times already and not even a meme reply
>>
>>52384858
Should of bumped
>>
>>52384791
>>52384726
you're right I misunderstood. did many ctfs on the web but none from vulnhub, thought I had to access the ctf from inside the vm.
>>
>>52384705
>"Hack"
What do you mean by this, Anon?
>>
>>52384858
Just try it and see for yourself.
>>
>>52381797
does it have a volume?
>>
>>52384891
Well if you're not into this for malicious purposes I wish you best of luck.
>>
>>52384481
Well, looks like my question got derailed by that bump fag. Any tablet reccomendations?
>>
What's the big deal about Nvidia's drivers for games? I don't get why each and every game needs drivers
>>
>>52384293
>Ask question on /g/
>Only 1 meme answer
>Ask question on reddit
>7 replys in under a min
This is why I ask questions on reddit and not this shithole don't bother replying the second I post I'm closing the tab
>>
>>52384927
I think it is for the optimization profiles in Nvidia GE. I'm on driver version 250.12 (Most stable with patches for GTA 5) and haven't dealt with Nvidia's BS in months
>>
>>52384916
thank you. have a nice day.
>>
>>52384892
I mean looking through data stored in device
>>
>>52384952
Ah, alright. I guess the drivers aren't as fancy as all the Nvidiafags say they are when they're memeing out on AMD
>>
>>52381722
Asus has quality shit
>>
>>52382328
>3.9NigHz

Niggahertz
>>
What are some good budget SSDs? I know of the Sandisk Ultra Plus. Are there cheaper disks for similar performance?
>>
I'm going along a book and I figured out how to delete repeating characters in an array (comparing each character and adding new characters in a new array btw), but it says to use two functions for searching and deleting. How does that go? I guess there would be one to search for a repeated character, but i'm not sure how the deleting process goes.
>>
>>52384724
>>52384637
>>52384690
>>52384605
>>52384555
>>52384443
>>52384392
>>52384315
>>52384199
>>52384129
>>52383871

Third install. Did it in CSM boot mode and it worked. Booted up as a normal desktop with the external disk drive disconnected. No issue so far.

Thanks to everyone that replied and helped.
>>
I built a computer for my parents in 2009 using an AMD Phenom II x3 720 Black Edition CPU and 4GB of RAM. Should I just upgrade the CPU to a 1100T and throw in another 4GB of RAM or build them a whole new computer?
>>
>>52381603
Hey /g/, if I have two drives, e.g. /dev/sda (an HDD) and /dev/sdb (a slightly larger SSD), can I transfer my data by just doing dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb ?
>>
>>52384318
>>
for the love of fucking god
trying to install spacemacs (emacs), default settings bla bla
it always fucking freezes. I have no fucking clue what's happening and why
>>
I recently installed a 980Ti in my case. I wasn't sure if it was inserted all the way in, but when I turned on my computer, the fans started spinning and the lights were on. So it must have been plugged in, right? Also, whats the best way to avoid sag?
>>
>>52385623
>Also, whats the best way to avoid sag?
Legos.

Or frozen pizzas.
>>
>>52383615
I can't find anywhere people uploading just audio from movies. Besides, I thought about that when my computer and internet bandwith were both shit, so the least I had to download the better, and I had to use a dvd player with a USB port, so no playing a muted video and a separate audio at the same time
>>
>>52383615
>what is a container format
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jVbpf7

Already have everything except the CPU and Power supply, any better alternatives for under $300
>>
File: external.jpg (35 KB, 500x344) Image search: [Google]
external.jpg
35 KB, 500x344
Anyone have any external HD recommendations?
I need a minimum of 250 GB for a IT class.
>>
File: SAMz.block.diagram.gif (10 KB, 656x684) Image search: [Google]
SAMz.block.diagram.gif
10 KB, 656x684
What's your favourite program for drawing block diagrams/system diagrams? Preferably for Linux (or at least runnable on wine).
>>
i have a laptop that boots to the incorrect shutdown screen. whether i do startup repair, normal start, or safemode, i get a blue screen. my last part is still shipping and i want to get stuff off the laptop, ive tried alot but cant fix the bluescreen because im illiterate. any help appreciated
>>
>>52385855
Please rephrase your question.
>>
File: photo_2016-01-12_20-47-12.jpg (244 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-01-12_20-47-12.jpg
244 KB, 1280x960
>>52381603
Is what is happening in pic related caused by a defective t-con board?
>>
Is there any downside in buying a chinese tablet from aliexpress if I'm not going to be spending more than 100-150$ on the tablet anyway, or is there a decent budget tablet that I'm not aware of?
>>
>>52385799
Get a WD or SG 1tb drive, you can use the 1tb drive more after your class then a 250gb
>>
>>52385894
how do i bypass a bluescreen without a dvd and safemode doesnt work
>>
>>52385938
>incorrect shutdown screen.
What do you mean by this?
>without a dvd
You could burn a iso to a usb drive and go in. If you're just looking for data restoration, and not fixing the os install. Just get a linux iso and go in and restore your data to a safe place.
There used to be a windows repair disk you could burn(xp era) you might want to check for that.
>>
is there a mouse buying guide?
>>
Wouldn't it be cool if there was a software that shared captchas screencaps, and so anyone on the world could answer some of them, and in exchange a third person could answer the same amount of the second guy's captchas and so on?
I remember when captchas were a pain in the ass with those automated downloaders
>>
File: 20160112_145922.jpg (1005 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160112_145922.jpg
1005 KB, 2560x1440
>>52385993
i dont know the name
just called it incorrect startup
>>
>>52386030
There is this software/website, you would solve captchas for other people and you would earn credits, in exchange for the same service.
I dont remember the name of it.
>>
>>52385993
sorry, i dont know what its called

the one that says "windows didnt shut down correctly last time" but it actually says "windows 7 failed to start"
>>
>>52386050
Oh, wow, I thought it was so simple and useful but never actually find one. Last time I talked about it years ago on a chat, everybody laughed and basically said "lol, no one would do a favor to u on the internet"
>>
>>52386045
Oh the "windows closed improperly" screen lol.
If you cant even get in to safe mode, your only bet is some sort of usb boot.
>>
>>52386077
It was active of atleast a year or two ago. I think they had a tie in with jdownloader, that might be a good place to start
>>
>>52386080
just tried to boot a usb with windows 7 installer stuff, showed the screen for it, as soon as i went to choose setup stuff, bluescreen
>>
>>52385910
That's what I was going to do originally.
Then I went to my computer junk pile and found a little 2.5, 320GB drive.
Gonna blank it and find some sort of case for it, and I'm sure I'll need a SATA to USB converter.
>>
>>52385499
Depends
>>
>>52386096
Thank you
>>
>>52385898
I think the cable is damaged. If the t-con was the problem I doubt you would have picture
>>
>>52386150
I assume there's a flat cable that connects the board to the mainboard.

I wonder how the hell can be damaged if the TV was always in the same spot, never opened/moved around
>>
>>52385799
>>
File: hinagiku red face.jpg (26 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
hinagiku red face.jpg
26 KB, 500x281
So I have this MSI 970A-G46 that refuses to boot, and I have no speaker to listen to POST codes.

It has all fans running but no lights on keyboard or mouse.

I tried switching RAMs, checking everything and still had the same problem.

I left it disconnected overnight and when I woke up, it booted just fine.

After a couple reboots it stopped booting.

Then I tried clearing CMOS and it booted after a couple tries, then I reseted the BIOS settings and it stucked again after the next reboot.

Is the mobo fucked up? Please tell me it isn't, I can't afford one right now.

Also, I have to boot with HDMI, I have it connected to a TV that goes black if it is on VGA mode and doesn't detect any input right away. But this is a problem of the tv that is fucking itself up too.
>>
File: 20160112_150957.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160112_150957.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>52386080
>>52386101
heres the bluescreen, not sure if this helps

lots of mumbo jumbo to me
>>
>>52386101
So it sounds like hardware.
is it properly vented?
You can always just take teh harddrive out and use your new rig to pull data from it. If its your daily use, im not sure what else to tell you at this point, other then maybe taking it a part and checking for anything out of the ordinary
>>
The build thread is dead and I made a few changes.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cTqdK8

Still befuddled on how to handle this, especially the graphics card and power supply (bronze is still decent, right? MicroCenter has no silver ones for some reason). At the very least I can get a real monitor later and just use the TV until then. As much as I like the sound of mechanical keyboards, a regular one will have to do.
>>
>>52386201
Seagate beating WD?
Damn son, never thought I'd see the day.
>>
>>52386348
I refuse to use pcpartipicker because they don't support access via vpn

fuck em
>>
>>52386332
its a really old laptop that never had problems before, i appreciate the help but i think im just gonna have a small funeral for it

my last part comes on thursday
sleep tight, jerry the 7 year old red laptop ;_;7
>>
>>52386378
Fine, for those who hate PCPP...

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($167.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($92.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($41.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380X 4GB DD XXX OC Video Card ($223.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24D3ST DVD/CD Writer
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.75 @ OutletPC)
Total: $856.65

Merchants vary. Trying to get as much stuff from retail as possible but that doesn't seem to be possible.
>>
So, do I need a USB to do this trick? I'm sick and half asleep still and horribly confused: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/trying-to-downgrade-windows-10-pro-to-windows-10/03695ed6-1c9b-4d82-8537-b987925fdab0?auth=1
>>
>>52386348
>>52386452
What do you want to do on it?
>>
http://webmshare.com/r6Y7G

Assuming the link works (it said hotlinking was not allowed) can I remove the back fan of my PC and just place a small personal fan next to it until the replacement arrives? The loud noise is driving me nuts!
>>
>>52386452

what is this for?

DDR3 will skyrocket soon so I'd recommend 4x4GB just to be safe in the long run

no reason to have an optical drive

case is way overkill

The overall price seems high for an AM3+ ATX build.
>>
I found these in my collection of moot pictures:
N 40°44'0.00", W 73°59'0.00"
N 40°43'0.00", W 73°60'0.00"
Do you think they mean anything?
One is supposed to be at an apple store and the other is just a random photo but it is at 'Mt Sinai Beth Israel'..
Fake exif data?
>>
>>52386495
yes, but i'd leave the case open too though

check temps under stress
>>
>>52386495
You dont want to remove your exhaust fan...

Can you throttle it down in your bios?
>>
>>52383606
Please anyone? Ill probably be leaving soon. Should I buy a new hard drive and would that fix it?
>>
File: 9497443.png (175 KB, 453x668) Image search: [Google]
9497443.png
175 KB, 453x668
>>52386520
>>52386530
Hmm now I'm scared. I guess I can deal with the noise a bit longer.
>>
>>52386576
Sounds like ram
>>
Whats better for a i7 laptop with 8gb ram?

Office 2010 or Office 2013
>>
File: specs.png (140 KB, 991x747) Image search: [Google]
specs.png
140 KB, 991x747
>>52386452
Don't use AMD for CPU. Trust me on this. Pic very fucking related. Upgrading to this CPU soon, and you should use it or the 6320 if you're on a budget: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-intel-core-i3-6100-review
>>
>>52386619
libre office
>>
>>52386619
Libre office

I'm in love with the formula editor in Writer
>>
>>52386618
Yeah? Is there a way I can tell for sure, like a test I can run? When I first booted up the computer it took 30 minutes to connect to the internet and just clicking my mouse would freeze it for 5 minutes. Its running pretty normal now I think but its been on for 6 hours.
>>
So I looked at my wifi connection settings on Windows 8 and I told it to "Show usage data" and I can watch it grow at a rate of about 0.01-0.03 MB/s. If I have a bunch of tabs open in chrome (all finished loading) sometimes it will increase at like 0.2-0.5 MB/s. if I just leave the computer on overnight it says I've had ~1 gigabyte of estimated bandwidth usage on my wifi adapter.

Is this just the router and the computer throwing packets at eachother over LAN, and my actual internet bandwidth is not really being used? Because whenever I look at my usage in any kind of network/bandwidth monitor, it says I am only using a few hundred bytes every few seconds (probably from teamviewer or something sending keep-alive packets or something, I guess?)

I mean does this slowly-increasing Windows "Estimated Usage" figure come from bandwidth you're using on the internet? Or might it just be harmless stuff on my home network?
>>
File: Capture.png (65 KB, 674x532) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
65 KB, 674x532
>>52386477
>>52386502
General and 1080p gaming. Tried for an $800 budget and more or less failed it. I still have time before I ask for this stuff so more thought and criticism will be necessary. Originally wanted 16GB of memory but obviously that's double the price of the current memory now.

>>52386502
>>DDR3 will skyrocket soon so I'd recommend 4x4GB just to be safe in the long run
I'm only future-proofing on the power supply. Last thing I want is the damn thing wrecking the parts or exploding.

>>no reason to have an optical drive
Well I need to install Windows 7 and my games somehow. Only reason why the former is not on the list is due to the absurd price. ISO's in the USB stick right now and I intend on burning that to a CD in the future. Yes, I know you can configure the stick into a bootable drive and have the BIOS start on that but I prefer CDs.

>>case is way overkill
I know, but the cheaper case lacks a bay for the optical drive. Much too weird to have a PC without one.

>The overall price seems high for an AM3+ ATX build.
Starting to think the same thing. Only went with AMD because its less expensive then Intel. Granted, I know someone who build their PC with an AMD CPU in mind and so far, no disasters related to it. I think the graphics card I chose might be overdoing it. I just want a smooth framerate at 1080p.

>>52386626
My current laptop has an i5, but I don't think it means much do to an essentially non-existent GPU. See pic.
>>
>>52386782
You are sharing windows 10 updates via torrents to other users! Thank M$!
>>
Whats the best book/resource for quickly learning LaTex?
>>
I accidentally froze my eggs in my fridge.

Can I still eat those that haven't cracked?
>>
Roommate can't connect to college WiFi with his old ass windows xp laptop. Not a driver issue since he could connect at home.
Any common fixes/trouble shooting?
>>
>>52386859
there is some chick on youtube that does a good job

>>52386899
even the ones that cracked are probably safe

>>52386908
can it see the networks?
>>
>>52386789
I'm just saying, AMD CPUs are no where near as good as people make them out to be. AMD cards are fucking great, but their chips are just... bleh. There's no reason for it. Please don't make the same mistake I did. Please. If I could do it all over again, here's the build I'd use: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Q3QyjX
>>
>>52386859
Look up templates for what you need to accomplish (book publishing, resume writing, etc.).

Figure out what the templates are made of.

That's the smartest way to learn, if you have a single purpose of using Latex, IMO.
>>
>>52386918
>even the ones that cracked are probably safe
Yeah, but they'll leak when they defrost, so I threw them away.

Also, I froze my mayonaise, and it looks a little weird (oil is kinda separated and shit). Is that safe? This shit has been accidentally frozen for approximately a month.
>>
>>52386795
How can I find out the exact root of the problem? I have tried WireShark but I cant come to any meaningful conclusions from looking at the packets. There seems to be a lot going on when I'm not even running anything though. I even set my network as a metered connection and the estimated usage still crawls up.

Is there any way I can figure out what application is sending or requesting the packets using Wireshark? Because like I said every third-party network monitoring program I've tried says nothings really going on
>>
>>52386918
Yeah it sees and takes a while in the "connecting to..." but it then says nothing and closes back to choose a network screen
>>
>>52386972
wtf

if you defrost it in a container, you have it in a container

technically, that's how you fucking use an egg, by leaking the stuff out of the shell in the first place

the only thing you can't do with it is possibly hard boil

for the mayo though, it's perfectly safe
there is no eutectic point requirement for foods, so frozen stuff is completely safe to eat

they may not be in the original texture, but only some foods are buggered due to that (ice cream, instant foods), and even then it's still completely safe
>>
>>52387046
the card might not support enterprise wpa
>>
>>52387053
>if you defrost it in a container, you have it in a container
Yeah, it's a bit of a waste, but eh.
>>
>>52386946
I'll see, but that'll require me to cross and mix tiers unless I change the GPU as well. Is that wise?
>>
>>52387088
goddamn, son

i'm hankering for some eggs right now, but i got neet'd for a month, since i'm on school break, and most of my nourishment comes from the scholarship-sponsored canteen food
>>
>>52387120
What? I don't understand the question
>>
>>52387136
Fine, I'll save one of the three cracked eggs just for you.
>>
>>52386899
>>52386972
>>52387053
>>52387088
>>52387136
GTFO to >>>/ck/

>>52386619
>>
>>52387166
good on you

at least i still got some ovaltine left
>>
>>52387174
>>52387166
>>52387187
>>52387136
>>52387088
>>52387053

You are given two eggs, and access to a 100-storey building. Both eggs are identical. The aim is to find out the highest floor from which an egg will not break when dropped out of a window from that floor. If an egg is dropped and does not break, it is undamaged and can be dropped again. However, once an egg is broken, that’s it for that egg.

If an egg breaks when dropped from floor n, then it would also have broken from any floor above that. If an egg survives a fall, then it will survive any fall shorter than that.

The question is: What strategy should you adopt to minimize the number egg drops it takes to find the solution?. (And what is the worst case for the number of drops it will take?)
>>
>>52387140
I'm using Logical Increments as a base. Started on the Superb tier, hence the AMD stuff. I know I'll need to pick another motherboard but what about the GPU? Is it safe for something from the Superb tier to go on a motherboard from the Great tier?
>>
>>52387012
Just use the firewall to open and close ports until you find the culrpit, or just run monitor the ports if you don't think windows is fucking with you
>>
>>52381603
I have to do I project for my embedded designs course and have no idea what I want to do.
Anyone have any good ideas they want to through at me?

Just as a reference I'm using a ARM Cortex M4, it has an accelerometer, ethernet, magnetometer, Micro usb and SD, and GPIO.
>>
how is the Lenovo TAB 2 A7-20 for a cheap tablet to read comics and browse/youtube? Alternatively, anything else in the 50-150$ price range that's a hidden gem?
>>
File: edit.jpg (144 KB, 929x720) Image search: [Google]
edit.jpg
144 KB, 929x720
What's this and why is there an edit button on list of boards?
>>
>>52387260
So you can edit the list of boards?

Why the fuck do you think it's there?
>>
>>52386789
>>52386946
Typical JESUS OH LAWDY intel fag.
Not thing is wrong with amd, HURR DURR MY SINGLE THREAD PERFORMANCE.Nothing uses single cores at all, in a world of multicore, multile threaded games.

Ditch the amd graphics card, they have SHITTY driver support(windows AND linux). Nvidia has 0DAY LAUNCH support for games.

Dont listen to this delusional faggot, he must have been in a build thread and got his feelings hurt.
>>
>>52387278
Does that mean I am admin or something now?
>>
>>52387349
yes. please delete /r9k/, /b/ and /g/
>>
>>52387349
anon, this is /sqt/ not /literallyabreathingcabbage/
>>
>>52387194
I honestly never used Logical Increments. I would just use the same things you were going to originally, but just sub the CPU, mobo, and RAM out. It'd look something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DhckVn

I swapped the case out for one I can personally vouch for. I use the N200 and it's fantastic, and the N400 is just a bigger version of it.
>>
What's a good email provider?
I just need a place that doesn't pester me to give up my phone number or other shit.
>>
>>52387388
protonmail
openmailbox
autistici/inventati
>>
>>52387349
Man just stop and think about what you're saying. You'll quickly figure out you're being an idiot.
>>
I just got my first 144hz monitor. I'm currently running a 7870. Although it is not the most powerful, it ru s what I need just fine (BF4 on medium\ high at 80-120 fps) I'm currently running the monitor at 144hz. Should I adjust it down to 12phz since nothing I play I reach 144 fps?
>>
>>52387287
>>Ditch the amd graphics card, they have SHITTY driver support(windows AND linux). Nvidia has 0DAY LAUNCH support for games.
Ditch the R9 380X? Its the only GPU in the Superb tier but in the event that I do intend on going down a tier in terms of motherboard and CPU (seems to be a lot of AMD vs Intel flamewars around here), would the GTX 960 do?

>>52387384
Well shit, a case with a optical drive bay (I assume that's what 5.25'' means) that WON'T break the bank! Thanks!

I'll make a seperate list with mostly the same stuff, only replacing the CPU, GPU, case and motherboard. I was mainly going by which parts are available at a nearby store. Want to get these fast once my birthday comes.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.