[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 4k resolution on a phone a gimmick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3
Is 4k resolution on a phone a gimmick
>>
no, just retarded
>>
>>52369228
Yes, its supported in only like 3apps.
>>
>>52369228
Yes. It isn't even officially supported by Android.

Which is why only one phone has that resolution, the Sony Xperia Premium, and it only runs in that resolution in a couple of custom apps.
>>
>>52369228
Yes.
>>
>>52369228
Yes, it only works in the camera app basically.
>>
>>52369228
I prefer to have a 4Ah battery
>>
>>52369228
Right now yeah, it's pretty much only found in the xperia premium. Due to battery costs it literally only runs 4k in the native gallery app.

In a few years when the power use goes down and gpu's can handle them fine, you'd probably see a difference, but not a huge one. Watching native 4K on camera shots and youtube would be cool. MKBHD has a good one on the Z5 premium where he shows you can't really see a difference between the two unless you go up really close.
>>
VR
>>
Even 1440 is a meme.
I can't discern individual pixels on my 1080 phone display even when I try.
1440 does nothing but directly waste battery (AMOLED), or create extra chip workload thus indirectly waste battery (LCD).
>>
>>52372292
>VR

please send cancer waves into my brain from 2' away

always giggle at the ppl with carboard

lmfao
>>
>>52372292
please please please please please kill yourself
you are the cancer of the phone industry and you are why all phones this generation are absolute shit
>>
Yes, but it's catchy for retards that always want something new even if they don't even know how to use all the functions, just to say "I'm better than you"
>>
>>52369228
No, it'll help push 4K content for movies and TV shows so I see nothing wrong with it. 4K is the future standard and we should start embracing it.
>>
>>52369228
but the phone on your pic doesn't even have 4k res
>>
>>52374105

Absolutely this. My phone has a ppi of 440 - it's literally impossible to discern pixels, going higher than this seems pointless imo.

I'd rather have more battery.
>>
>>52374572
You're an idiot.

You can watch a 4K movie on your 720p phone and someone else's 4K phone and you won't be able to tell the difference.

It won't help push shit, because consumers will just start crying that 4K doesn't even matter like they did with 720p or DVD vs. bluray. They'll want to stick with their cheap, ghetto shit that doesn't require a good CPU/GPU just to play video.
>>
>>52374105
Actually, you're wrong on the amoled part. Since blacks are off, those pixels do not waste battery or create unnecessary CPU/GPU workload since nothing is being rendered. 1440p makes sense on super amoled screens, but on LCD you're right, its a waste.
>>
>>52374105
Depends, Samshit definitely needs more than 2560x1440 because of the shitty PenTile checkerboard matrix, yet a 1080p LCD phone next to it has indiscernible pixels. Maybe Samsung should stick to getting 3 stripe subpixels, but we all know they'll just market 4k because bigger numbers are better, and you'll still be able to see an ugly checkerboard pattern because of Pentile.
>>
It's a gimmick more than anything else, unfortunately. Useless and a drain on the battery regardless of it being an LCD or AMOLED, doesn't matter, it just sucks down battery life like a fat person drinking Big Gulps.

Hell, I actually prefer to find 1280x720 these days and they're not all that easy to find in a decent devices. The Moto X 2013 was pretty much the last decent 1280x720 phone ever made, really, and even today it's still a great piece of hardware.

I have a Droid Turbo and while I like the device overall I wish it just had a 1280x720 AMOLED panel in it instead of the 2560x1440 AMOLED it actually has which is 4x the resolution meaning 4x the battery consumption.

I get great battery life but it could be a LOT better if not for that god damned QHD bullshit panel. It's pointless on such a small device - 5.2" panel at 565 ppi making it one of the "sharpest" displays in existence - is just a waste of power even if I use primarily black themes.

Fuck I wish this had a 1280x720 panel in it, I really really do.
>>
>>52374105

OLED panels don't use power for black - it's when a pixel is lit that power gets consumed so having dark/black themes can save a ton of power on OLED (either AMOLED or Super AMOLED) panels.

LCD panels are just the opposite: the native state of an LCD is off aka transparent which lets all the backlight pass through. It's when you block the backlight by powering on the liquid crystals that power gets used.

On an OLED display, black uses the least power (none actually) while white uses the most.

On an LCD, white uses the least power (because it's allowing all the backlight to pass through) while black consumes the most (because it's acting like a blind or shutter blocking off all the backlight).

People really should learn how this shit works before making stupid fucking comments like that one referenced in the post number above.
>>
>>52369908
Droid turbo also has it
>>
>>52377552
>LCD panels are just the opposite: the native state of an LCD is off aka transparent which lets all the backlight pass through. It's when you block the backlight by powering on the liquid crystals that power gets used.
Depends what type. Some can be Natively Black or Natively White depending on how the Polarizers are oriented.
IPS LCDs are always Normally Black because of how its made, so it indeed has lower power consumption for displaying black.
TN are mostly Normally white, that's why on older Macs, when you use them outdoors, the sunlight shines through the Apple logo, but not on newer Retina Macs.
>>
4k makes more sense than 1440p due to the fact that you want a 2:1 upscale. The current internet is built around 1080p way more so than 720p. With that said I would rather just stick with a 1080p display.
>>
Im buying z5 compact today.
Not interested in good photos that much.

Did i do good?
>>
>>52377673
Seems like a solid choice to me m8

Nothing else competes against it
>>
A thing that bothers me more ia the ever increasing display size
>>
>>52377614

>4k
>not actually 4k
>more like 2160p
>idiots using the horizontal resolution as the way to describe video formats now instead of the tried and true decades old method of using the vertical
>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all
>>
>>52377732
I know where you're coming from, but 2160p is a terrible 'measurement' in the exact same way.
2160p is merely a measurement of one axis.
>>
>>52377730
Manlet with small child hands found.
>>
>>52377730
/thread
tfw they'll never release the sheer pixel density on phones today, into the large screen t.v market
tfw plasma is dead because of retards practically forcing other retards to buy LCD instead

tfw i have no face when the market is determined by retards and the mass amount of marketers on store floors

RIP plasma displays, you are clearly too good for this gay earth.
>>
>>52377879
>literally my dad used to work at a plasma TV factory: the post
>>
>>52378019
>literally too young to know how pdp is GOAT
>>
>>52369228
I'm fine with my 480x854
>>
>>52377732
>watch a 1080p movie
>its actually 800p because lol cinemascope
>>
>>52369228
enjoy your 1 hour battery life faggots
>>
>>52377673
You did decent. You could have saved a few bucks and went with the z3 compact. Same amount of RAM, storage, and same screen. Only difference's are that it doesn't have a shitty SOC in it (810 is shit) and Sony will drop support in a year (they only update for around 18 months).
>>
>>52377879
Gaming killed plasma. It would cause terrible burn in. If you wanted to do any sort of gaming, you had to avoid plasma. It was only near the end that they fixed that problem. You were better off spending the money on a high end Sony TV.
>>
File: 1452481179500.jpg (72 KB, 442x933) Image search: [Google]
1452481179500.jpg
72 KB, 442x933
>>52379027
Plasmas actually have almost no input lag, unlike LCDs. Burnins only happened if you left the goddamn tv on overnight.
>>
>>52379119
That doesn't really matter. 98% of TV gaming would be done via (at that time) a Xbox 360, PS3, or a Wii. Good LCD TVs (high end Sony) were more than capable.
>>
>>52379119
>Burnins only happened if you left the goddamn tv on overnight.
I could see it being an issue if you play games that have fixed HUDs.

And played them far too much.
>>
>>52378608

My S6 lasts for days, use your phone like a grown up and the battery life is fine. If you play 'tism generators all day, then expect shit battery life on any phone at any resolution.
>>
Basically anything above 1080p is a meme.
>>
Complete gimmick. 2K on my note 4 and pixels are not visible even under an electron microscope.

Pixel density can only go so high before you get diminishing returns.
>>
>>52375445
> Tells me I can't spot the difference

> I can already tell how crisper 1440p is vs 1080

Nice try grandpa.
>>
>>52379922
>are not visible even under an electron microscope.
Maybe you should try turning on the electron microscope.
>>
>>52369228
Nice iPhone OP
>>
Yes. 1080p on my phone is already plenty. It's sharp as fuck, I don't see how anyone would need anything more.
>>
>>52369228
Currently yes, not supported and the processors aren't even fast enough for it. In the future that will change, but screens aren't going to get any bigger so there still won't be much point to having that many pixels.
>>
>>52369228
yes, 1080p looks fantastic on 5 inch screen and is more than enough.
>>
>>52377524
I have a DT myself, and I'm fine with the display and the battery I get, though you bring up excellent points.

I just wish I knew how my friend only gets like 1.5 hours SOT tops on his Nexus 6, when his phone is literally the same as ours with a larger screen.
>>
>>52377524
Get xperia z5
>>
>>52383010
>>>52377524
>Get xperia z5
Compact *
>>
>>52369228
foolishness
>>
I still haven't seen a phone with a better screen than my HTC one M7 or Meizu M2 Note.
The 4k is just a meme because "geeks" and niggers like big numbers.
>>
File: 1450384628581.jpg (44 KB, 600x590) Image search: [Google]
1450384628581.jpg
44 KB, 600x590
>tfw my s6 screen is cracked
>don't have 200+ to get it repaired
Reeee
>>
>>52380038
underrated post, top roast
>>
>>52383296
quit breaking your screen then, Allthumbs
>>
How long before 1080p is kill?
>>
>>52372272
The thin about 4k screens on cellphones is that unless you like watching your screen trough a magnifying glass, it's not actually going to provide you any benefit over considerably lower, but still high PPI, devices.

As much as I loathe Apple, they at least went the sensible route of only taking their "retina" displays to the point where at normal use distance you don't see any more benefits with higher resolution due to the accuracy of human eyesight.
>>
>>52383383
In a lot of ways, its similar to high resolution audio going above 20k or 22k.

Its there but doesn't really prove useful in most use cases. Probably even damn near all.
>>
>>52377568
I have a droid turbo. Unless you're talking turbo 2, which I personally don't know the exact specs on, you're wrong. Its only 1440
>>
>>52372292
This is the only advantage I can think of. Google cardboard is really nice, but still a bit too low res on my 1080p phone. I think 4k would make it awesome.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.